CAGcast #254: Spider-Woman

I went to Japan once when I was about 10 yrs old and I was running through a garden path when I stopped at the last second before I ran into a huge spider web that completely blocked the path. In the middle of the web I saw the biggest fucking spider ever. It was as big as my head! I stared at it in horror for a second and then ran away!

I've never been back to Japan.

Shipwreck. . . when was the last time you put a portable gaming device in your pocket? I don't recall ever doing that.

FYI: A regular DS-Lite wouldn't fit in a child's pocket either, they have little pockets (cause they're little).

Audiobook is now the sponsor instead of godaddy?

Did they spend too much time hunting elephants and couldn't afford it anymore?

[quote name='skadave']Shipwreck. . . when was the last time you put a portable gaming device in your pocket? I don't recall ever doing that.

FYI: A regular DS-Lite wouldn't fit in a child's pocket either, they have little pockets (cause they're little).[/QUOTE]

I routinely carry a 3DS in my pocket or at the very least have an iPhone in my pocket.

"Is that a 3DS in Shipwreck's pocket, or is he just pleased to see me?".

The PSV is big enough that I don't think anyone will want to put one in their pocket, especially if it's inside a case. And I certainly wouldn't risk scratching the OLED screen by trying to jam a Vita down my pants without it being protected.

Cheapy, love the podcast always have.

Wombat, you tend to be annoying. Like for example, when you did that annoying hum when Cheapy did the Go Daddy commercial pitch. Do stop that.

Shipwreck, awesome! Love the reviews and opinion you have on games. How in the hell do you play all these games with a full time job, wife, house, etc? Do you finish all the games you review?

[quote name='shipwreck']I routinely carry a 3DS in my pocket or at the very least have an iPhone in my pocket.[/QUOTE]

3DS and an iphone in your pocket? With the Vita I'm sure you can bring the fanny pack back into style shipwreck!!

When does the spider talk end? after i heard about the a spider in the bathroom i stopped listening. Yesterday I had to mow the lawn but didnt happen due to a huge spider on the mower. I don't blame Mrs. cheapy wanting to check out early.

Cheapy, I am right there with you when it comes to dealing with big spiders. Anyone who says they wouldn't be afraid of the spider that you described is a fucking liar. Great show as always guys, keep up the great work.

[quote name='iCephalopod']It was probably a huntsman spider aka ashidaka gumo. Looks like they're considered by many Japanese people as good bugs because they eat other insects and aren't poisonous. I still dont know if I'd be comfortable sharing a room with it though.

ashidaka.jpg
[/QUOTE]

fuck that! You would need a shovel to kill that thing! I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that thing was in the room.

[quote name='CheapyD']I agree. I hate that Tai likes it. Even the CG animation is incredibly bland. I'm trying to get him over to some PBS shows like Super Why, which at least have some educational value.[/QUOTE]

Also agree on this one. Both my kids love it. But Cheapy and others, it can always be worse...your kids could enjoy Caiilou and Dora the Explorer. Caiilou is this little sissy who cries and whines, and Dora's animation and plot is somewhere between stick figures and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Dora: "We're going to climb a tall mountain-it's called Tall Mountain. Then we're going to cross the wet river. It's called Wet River. Vamanos!"

And someone explain to me why "Map" is an 80 year old Jew from New York.

SuperWhy is a good one, I like the Backyardigans, and Franklin is tolerable.

Hey Cheapy….I don't buy your friend's opinion that the reason why the 360 isn't doing well in japan is because the original Xbox failed in Japan so badly that it continues to taint the appeal of the 360 as well.

Granted the original massive 'duke' controllers were too large for the J market, but it turns out they were too large for the US and EU market as well, given that the smaller revamped controllers developed for Japan after their poor reception of the duke controllers were ultimately used to replace the duke controllers worldwide.

As for the size of the xbox itself, yes it was bigger and far less elegant than the PS2, but if a boat anchor like the original PS3 can make it in Japan, I don't know if console size is really that much of an issue in the grand scheme of things.

As for games, SEGA and Tecmo were heavily invested in the Xbox, so it also wasn't a complete lack of J developer support that doomed the xbox in Japan, although some of the bigger firms like Capcom and Konami were were fairly tepid in their support or came out with things like Namco's Xbox exclusive First Person Puncher Breakdown…a game that failed to attract the interest of hardly anyone in BOTH Japan and the US.

I think it was simply a case that most J folks were happy enough with the PS2 offerings (likely in no short order due to the large number of PS2 exclusives) and what the Xbox had to offer (a lot of FPS type games) wasn't that compelling to the average J gamer. J gamers really liked the PS1, and they really liked the PS2, so I think most J gamers felt no need to change things up and decided that, of course, the PS3 was the way to go in this current generation. The 360 had a much more J friendly style and fairly strong software (and a much better software assortment in the first 24 months than the PS3 as well) involvement and it still it got no traction in Japan. The biggest obstacle the 360 has in Japan, in my opinion, is that is simply does not have the word playstation on it.

And on completely separate topic, while the food in Japan can be amazing, you are missing out some top notch USA food science on display in this Transformers themed Hostess snack product…..Snowballimus Optimus Prime

[quote name='ObiBen']Cheapy, I am right there with you when it comes to dealing with big spiders. Anyone who says they wouldn't be afraid of the spider that you described is a fucking liar. Great show as always guys, keep up the great work.[/QUOTE]

Does your signature really need to be one long column? Try putting a couple of your images next to each other horizontally.

What was that product you guys discussed that was a 360 controller skin that made the controller larger, like a Nerf shell or something? Hands get crampy after longer Battlefield sessions and I'd be into a goofy product like that.

You guys might list every product you discuss in the show notes for the sake of searchability and to let potential sponsors know you guys cover a lot of ground in game products.

Great shows lately.

Re: 3DS

I disagree that the future is sealed for Nintendo this holiday season. The hot gift for kids will be the iPod touch. I've seen the way my 7 & 9 year old kids play with the iPod touch. $1 games hold similar fascination as $50 marquee handheld console titles. We adult gamers may see the value in depth, but the large kids market does not. And adult gamers will play consoles and computers. I'm not happy to know it, since I love these products, but PSV and 3DS are doomed! Adult and hardcore gamers aren't enough to keep these handheld products as popular as they have been.

[quote name='usickenme']don't you mean the "Blackyardigans" ?[/QUOTE]

No, but a trip to YouTube might change my mind. Standby.

(Oh, and I left out Yo Gabba Gabba, I was on that when it first came out, now everybody loves it)

Edit: Don't see anything for the Blackyardigans...am I missing something?

[quote name='usickenme']only my lame joke. I mean Uniqua, Tasha and Tyrone are 3 of the characters[/QUOTE]

Rated 6/10. Heh. Yah, that's really the shift in most kids shows these days. Diversity, diversity, diversity. When we were growing up everybody was white except for the black guy on Seasame Street and Maria. Maria...oh Maria :drool: My 6year old crush.

[quote name='willc23']@ianoid
Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I like the one I have. Rests on your stomach just right too.

www.xtendyourgame.com[/QUOTE]

That is totally it. Thanks so much for the link! My hands thank you.

bread's done
Back