CAGcast #264: Our Favorite Games of 2011

this is one of the worst cagcasts ever. fucking shit ive had to restart this damn thing 5 or 6 times now because i keep falling asleep to it. i get what wombat was trying to do but yeah it failed. miserably. next year just run through your list of faves and why and skip all the extra pointless bullshit. oh yeah and let shipwreck organize it because this was pretty much a meandering clusterfuck of a show. now im off to try to listen to this the 7th time now.

props to shipwreck for mentioning dead island that game is awesome the best zombie game ever. cant wait for a sequel.

[quote name='Thomas96']First of all, I agree with you, as I feel to some degree that Skyrim doesn't really deserve GOTY honors due to the PS3 issues. Customers from PC and Xbox, have played and enjoyed the game immensely, and with those experience held, people are going to be compelled to give the game GOTY honors. I don't think its right negate the true quality of the game itself, just because the PS3 version being unplayable. For now on, PS3 owners need to really be cautious about purchasing Bethesda games on PS3. (meaning, no Day 1 purchases)

Secondly, you have to remember that its all about the 360. As long as the game is good on the 360, then all other sins will be forgiven by the gaming community. (and you can still win GOTY). If skyrim was unplayable on the 360, and worked perfectly on the PS3, it would not have received GOTY honors. This situation also proves how video game journalism is totally bullshit because on Metacritic, PS3 Skyrim still has a 92. Sitting on top of the metacritic list is..... Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) with a score of 100. You would think that the Playstation "Official" magazine would point out the issues on its console, but they probably played the 360 version.

Finally Kudos to Playstation: Official Magazine (UK), who with their review score (70 on metacritic) pointed out the issues that Skyrim had, and thus showed some true journalistic integrity.[/QUOTE]

yeah the game has issues but even with those issues its still better than alot of games out there now. i guess it boils down to how much shit you can take before a games unplayable. i rented it a few days so i think ill wait till i hear about it getting fixed before i pick it up but that said i enjoyed myself alot until the backwards flying crack dragon.

I still can't see why anyone would call it Game of the Year. The same criticisms other games get are somehow overlooked in this game (fetch quests, bad voice work, overused dialogued, bad combat, etc) but it's alright in Skyrim because the game is bigger. I can respect that Bethesda put a lot into this game, but it doesn't mean they get a pass for all the garbage this game has.

Why does everyone assume Skyrim on PS3 is broken? Because they "heard on the internet" that it was?

I've been playing Skyrim on the PS3 since release day, downloaded every patch the day it came out. I've had zero major issues. My playtime is over 120 hours, my save file is huge from all the changes I've made in the world. I've had 1 major freeze, but I autosave every 5min so I didn't lose anything from a reset. The bookshelf in my house wouldn't work and a quick reload from save entering house fixed it. And 1 dragon soul didn't absorb, out of like 40 dragons killed. That's it. Nothing game breaking, no issues. No lag/framerate issues. I've been playing this game just fine or actually better than PC gamers who complain about Skyrim crashing to the desktop very often or no alt-tabbing.

That's my personal experience with over 120 hours of the game, what's your experience on the PS3?

I liked this Favorite Games of CAGcast better than last years. Because it doesn't have all those lame categories that no one cares about. Like favorite Wii Ware game which Cheapy/Wombat didn't even play any. Or favorite XBLA indie game, favorite DL title. It was all too cluttered. This year was more straight forward and I appreciate it!

I'm also glad Portal 2 made it to 2 of your lists. I'm glad this game wasn't forgotten from earlier this year, it was a very fun game. The 1st play through is really great trying to figure out the puzzles, and Co-op was a completely different campaign so that was awesome. Did anyone try the free DLC yet? It adds a new course to Co-op, it's short but still funny and fun.

Longtime listener, first time commenter, great show as always. My personal Picks

5.Portal 2
4.deus ex
3.infamous 2
2.dark souls
1.Skyrim

Most surprising: Deus Ex
Most Disappointing: Batman: Arkham City
Worst game: Duke Nukem

[quote name='Ultramontane']I forgot already, was Mass Effect 2 in anyone's top 5? If not, any chance it can make a special J.O. appearance in the next episode?[/QUOTE]

yeah that would be a good idea if it didn't come out almost 2 years ago and win a lot of 2010 game of the year awards...

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Why does everyone assume Skyrim on PS3 is broken? Because they "heard on the internet" that it was?

I've been playing Skyrim on the PS3 since release day, downloaded every patch the day it came out. I've had zero major issues. My playtime is over 120 hours, my save file is huge from all the changes I've made in the world. I've had 1 major freeze, but I autosave every 5min so I didn't lose anything from a reset. The bookshelf in my house wouldn't work and a quick reload from save entering house fixed it. And 1 dragon soul didn't absorb, out of like 40 dragons killed. That's it. Nothing game breaking, no issues. No lag/framerate issues. I've been playing this game just fine or actually better than PC gamers who complain about Skyrim crashing to the desktop very often or no alt-tabbing.

That's my personal experience with over 120 hours of the game, what's your experience on the PS3?

I liked this Favorite Games of CAGcast better than last years. Because it doesn't have all those lame categories that no one cares about. Like favorite Wii Ware game which Cheapy/Wombat didn't even play any. Or favorite XBLA indie game, favorite DL title. It was all too cluttered. This year was more straight forward and I appreciate it!

I'm also glad Portal 2 made it to 2 of your lists. I'm glad this game wasn't forgotten from earlier this year, it was a very fun game. The 1st play through is really great trying to figure out the puzzles, and Co-op was a completely different campaign so that was awesome. Did anyone try the free DLC yet? It adds a new course to Co-op, it's short but still funny and fun.[/QUOTE]

My PS3 gameplay hasn't been as bad as other people are making it out to be. I'm not sure what my gametime is (definitely less than yours) and I've had between 3-4 freezeups. Lag comes and goes, there are times where I'm not able to do anything because the buttons don't respond until I exit and go back, I have a few quest glitches, and many times my character will spaz out and start moving in one direction when I want to go another or randomly spinning.

But this unplayable business everyone else is making it out to be? I don't know where they are coming from.

[quote name='KrzyHpnKricket']Mass Effect 2 came out last year.[/QUOTE]

not on PS3, although I dont think they played it on PS3 maybe Shipwreck did..

[quote name='4thHorseman']I still can't see why anyone would call it Game of the Year. The same criticisms other games get are somehow overlooked in this game (fetch quests, bad voice work, overused dialogued, bad combat, etc) but it's alright in Skyrim because the game is bigger. I can respect that Bethesda put a lot into this game, but it doesn't mean they get a pass for all the garbage this game has.[/QUOTE]

no kidding. I almost choked when Cheapy D first person games that aren't shooters suck, then in the next segment he praises Skyrim

That said it's pretty lame to bitch about the PS3 version being broken with regards to their favorite games. They didn't play it on the PS3, they didn't have that experience, shouldn't really factor into their thinking.

Really enjoyed this show. Kudos and crediblame to Wombat!

Though Shipwreck made me sad when he said Deus Ex was "kinda long and boring". Loved that game so much. Only thing really that competed with Skyrim for me. Good on ya Wombat for having it on your list.

The Invisible War praise shocked me, though. The original Deus Ex blew my mind back when it came out on PC, but playing IW after that is one of my biggest gaming disappointments of all time.

Lately, the Cagcast has felt like CheapyD and Shipwreck vs. Wombat. Wombat was tasked with coming up with this awards show, he did a good job doing it and then his choices were almost universally disagreed with by the other hosts, he wasn't allowed to talk about a game at any length without a comment from the others (when he didn't do the same in reverse) and it seemed like no one else was taking it seriously.

Cheapy, it's a podcast about video games. You have to talk about video games on your podcast. And when your co-host comes up with a category for a "best games of 2011" show, you have to take 5 minutes to think of something. Your disdain at the "worst trend" moment was laughable. I think anyone on this forum could think of 5 off the top of their heads and you acted like it was a ridiculous category when it came up. And then you preceded to think of one and get passionate about it, so I guess it wasn't so dumb after all, huh?

I feel bad for Wombat more and more every week. He's getting pushed out of the group slowly but surely. My prediction is that the podcast will just be CheapyD and Shipwreck by this time next year. In fact, if I were Wombat I'd probably just quit. Cheapy and Shipwreck are extremely condescending and rude to him, acting like his opinions are less valid than theirs. It's painful to listen to now and I haven't missed an episode since the very first one. Sad to see it happen.

[quote name='Kezmer']not on PS3, although I dont think they played it on PS3 maybe Shipwreck did..[/QUOTE]

Thank you. January this year I believe. I still want that J.O. appearance, regardless.

Cheapy I feel cheated. I really feel that you purposefully neglect the ipad due to wombat not having one. I think you and shipwreck ought to do an entire show on the ipad! I mean it needs some serious acknowledgment as a platform.

Lets start with 5 games you recommend please.

I really liked this format better. Last year was more of a rambling mess than anything. Top 5's are short, sweet, and to the point. I like this better than that. Anyone complaining about this format is retarded.

I was wondering, have you ever seen a game called Victorious: time to shine?
It came out Nov 15th and yet not a single critic review. How can that be?

I never wanted to play any of the Saints Row games but i thought i would try Saints Row the Third. Let me say the hype Cheapy gives this game is an understatement. I put ten hours into it during my first sitting and can not wait to play more of it.

[quote name='Ultramontane']Thank you. January this year I believe. I still want that J.O. appearance, regardless.[/QUOTE]

everyone doesn't really like the Jamaican observant appearances though.
Anyway, I know I have left entirely too much feedback here, but I was also wondering what ever happened to cheapy's new update to cag. I know he said there would be like another beta a while back and we never got one I don't think.

I tried Super Mario 3D Land as per Shipwreck's suggestion and was not disappointed. It is the first game I've completed in 2012. I greatly enjoyed the difficulty curve, but it probably could have gotten harder a bit faster and leveled out.

However, I will say that there wasn't enough reward to complete each level with both mario and Luigi and hit the top of the flag poles. You get one extra level. big deal, DO NOT WANT.

Hey guys it's safe to call the 3ds a disappointment so far & heading into failure.To ensure that the Wii U does not suffer the same fate do you think that Nintendo will do more to promote the Wii U but in turn take its attention off the 3ds crushing it for sure.Also how was the Pearl Jam beer Ship?

bread's done
Back