CAGcast #266: The Incredible Holk

[quote name='thorbahn3']Please get a droid and a roku box just to piss Cheapy off. Also Jason Mewes (Jay & Silent Bob) can't say hulk either. He had a discussion once about who would win in a battle between hawkman and hulk and no one understood what he was saying.[/QUOTE]

HTC EVO 4G
Roku LT

:applause::applause:

But looking through the icons, I see there is an Apple one but no Android/Google... Am I just blind or do I sense bias?

Loved this episode. Was fucking dying at Wombat's "Mutumbo Goode" lmao

And I saw you guys up there on the podcast charts, awesome stuff. I know I've turned a handful of people onto the show within the last month or so (not that they're solely responsible for the chart placement but, ya know).

Wombat is correct Apple Tv is a ripoff. There are half a dozen better media streamers on the market right now.

[quote name='spid']Wombat is correct Apple Tv is a ripoff. There are half a dozen better media streamers on the market right now.[/QUOTE]

... that don't integrate as nicely with all my media that I have on my MacBook Pro, iPad, MacBook, iPhone and my wife's iMac and iPhone. It's a preference thing, but at $99 the Apple TV is not a ripoff.

Great CAGcast!
Big Thanks to Wombat on his parenting advice! I went out and got Skylanders, and now my son is putty in my hands. The only problem is, I too am hooked. And the two of us spent all of yesterday driving around the Quad Cities, hitting up everyplace that normally stocks the figures. After 4 Walmarts, 3 Gamestops, 2 KMarts, Best Buy, Target, ToysRUs, and Video Games Etc., we ended up with a Voodood, the level pack with Ghost Roaster, and the level pack with Terrafin. Evidently the Skylander bug bit hard, because today I bought three different 3 packs off eBay. Its crazy how wiped out the stores are, and the inflation on eBay due to the supply and demand!!

Cheapy, I totally agree with you. People bitching about spending eight dollars a month on Netflix, have issues. There's so many things to watch!

Wombat, while I agree that buying American is a great idea, the simple truth is labor costs are not even close to being competitive with China. I heard it said (and forgive me for not knowing the source off the top of my head) that an iPhone manufactured in the US would cost $5000. Perhaps an exaggeration, but do you really think that any American union would allow its workers to get paid anything close to what Chinese workers make?

By the way, get the iPhone...and the Apple tv is nice also.

[quote name='shipwreck']We already know there are more figures and expansion packs coming and it's been known since Day 1. Toys come in waves and Activision underestimated how many they needed to have on the market with the first two waves. The Skylanders figures are sold out. That's a fact and Activision and retailers are missing out on more profits because no one can buy them while they are hot.

I'd actually say once Activision realized the sell-through rates were so high it was near impossible for them to ramp up production. It's not like the manufacturing facilities can just flip a switch and *poof* more Skylanders are on store shelves. These factories have carefully planned out schedules so that they don't have a lot of downtime. The manufacturing plants were more than likely already ramping up to produce the new figures that are scheduled to come out this month.[/QUOTE]

I actually think that's what happened as well, they probably didn't realize the demand this game would get. I remember there were a lot of haters calling this game a gimmick and it would go on clearance fast. I think resellers are creating a bigger demand on this too though, I went to a GS yesterday and asked if they had any. The clerk said they received a shipment on Friday and sold out fast and mentioned one guy buying 20 packs.

[quote name='shipwreck']... that don't integrate as nicely with all my media that I have on my MacBook Pro, iPad, MacBook, iPhone and my wife's iMac and iPhone. It's a preference thing, but at $99 the Apple TV is not a ripoff.[/QUOTE] That's the point we're making. Apple TV only makes sense if you conceded that you only buy your media from Apple. Most of us prefer choice. A less expensive choice at that, Cheap Ass Gamer. We haven't drunk the pricey Apple Kool-Aid.

[quote name='shipwreck']... that don't integrate as nicely with all my media that I have on my MacBook Pro, iPad, MacBook, iPhone and my wife's iMac and iPhone. It's a preference thing, but at $99 the Apple TV is not a ripoff.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have taken a deep drink of the Apple Koolaid then for the general user it is a big ripoff. There are much better media streamers available on the market that provide a much better value.

Apple products play media from sources other than Apple too. I buy my content from multiple retailers. Plus, when I upgrade and sell my old Apple products they retain a good amount of their value.

Hey Cheapy, if you really don't like the Vita you could always just ship it to me at my expense! There's no reason to throw it in the closet with your Kinect. All joking aside, I'm someone who is excited for the Vita but shares Shipwreck's concern that there is a limited (albeit very supportive) market for it.

Sadly, when Shipwreck says "but who is looking for this?" I'm the guying yelling "Me!" but then I realize how sad that is.

Is the show feedback area?

Oh well a couple things I wanted to quickly say.

1. I agree with Wombat about the economy, more American made things are needed and I would pay more for it.
2. Agree with Cheapy, the new transformers are ridiculous, I bought my gf a bumble bee and it took 20+ minutes to transform. No kid could do that.
3. You guys could make more money on Merch. Start selling shirts and other fun game stuff.
4. Live PAX Prime show would be sick. Seattle has the best summer weather never too hot, and barely humid.

Alright enjoy.

Ricky

[quote name='shipwreck']Apple products play media from sources other than Apple too. I buy my content from multiple retailers. Plus, when I upgrade and sell my old Apple products they retain a good amount of their value.[/QUOTE]

Again. Unless you are heavily invested in Apple products/media there are other products out there that do more than Apple TV. There are other products that are cheaper, and they provide a better value. Unless you fall under one specific use case (aka Apple enthusiast) you are much better off buying something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spid']Again. Unless you are heavily invested in Apple products/media there are other products out there that do more than Apple TV. There are other products that are cheaper, and they provide a better value. Unless you fall under one specific use case (aka Apple enthusiast) you much better off buying something else.[/QUOTE]

I agree the Roku box is a fine product and does the same thing.

I totally agree with Cheapy about new transformers. They are too complex and cheaply made. I have a six year old son who has been into transformers since he was four. He is just now able to play with the transformers without constantly coming to me asking for help transforming them. I am so glad that they put levels on each toy. We never buy anything above level 3 and mostly buy level 2s.

Wombat you will be more pleased with an iPhone, especially since Shipwreck and Cheapy have iPhones. I find the apps are as a whole more polished and there are much more of them. Since you have a Kindle Fire, you can enjoy all the android apps. Get an iPhone and you can experience all the wonderful iOS apps. Also FaceTime is really nice to have when away from your family.

I bet if Apple made Project Fiona, Cheapy D would be saying it's the most brilliant product since the iPad 2. Razr should slap an Apple logo on one and send it to Cheapy and see how he reacts.

[quote name='shipwreck']Apple products play media from sources other than Apple too. I buy my content from multiple retailers. Plus, when I upgrade and sell my old Apple products they retain a good amount of their value.[/QUOTE]

no shit. This isn't 1999 people. Itunes handles just about every major media format for video and music. You just copy stuff into your library and you can use it.

Then if you have an Apple TV, you can stream it. Something Roku cannot do.

I was a little surprised at Cheapy's reasoning that because some stores are offering good deals with the 3DS (like free gift cards), that that was maybe a sign the 3DS isn't doing well. The reason why Best Buy and other retailers do that kind of thing is because they want you to buy a 3DS from them, not from somewhere else, and because they want you to buy games and accessories from them too. In other words they're just going it to be competitive with other retailers, not because they're trying to get rid of stock or anything.

Anyway I would have thought CheapyD of all people would have realized this or that Wombat or Shipwreck would have pointed that out.

Congratulations Cheapy, on realizing your dream of becoming a video game character. Saints Row 3 was my favorite game of last year, and having the CAGfather make an appearance as a homie was awesome. But why does your character suck so bad? I was looking forward to hearing more of Cheapy's witty banter, but all I heard from him was "Ugh" and "agh" while he got shot constantly. Eventually, he said, "I'm gonna be late for dinner." WTF, I've been listening to the podcast a long time, I don't think I've ever heard you say that, Cheapy.

I don't think you are a sexist asshole or anything Cheapy, I want to start out by saying that, but I have to say your commentary with Wombat about Olivia Mung made me a bit uncomfortable.

Ok, so she's hot -- how does that excuse anything that she's said or done? Her hotness has nothing to do with her propensity to spew stupid crap from her mouth. She's not funny, she never has been, she has zero talent in the entertainment industry, and the only reason she is where she is, is because of that attitude that a woman (largely) only needs to be attractive. If you were saying it in jest to mock that kind of attitude, you need to be a bit more satirical about it.

Going on to discuss her sex life afterwards while judging her is pretty creepy as well. Talking about a stranger's sexual choices is bad enough, but the way it was brought up had nothing to do with the subject at hand.

I dislike PETA. I dislike Olivia Mung. I think Wombat should stop following her: she has nothing of worth to say.

I still think it's wrong to treat women so flippantly. It seriously bothered me.

Shipwreck, you're classy as always and didn't wander into the fray. I appreciated that.

Honestly, sometimes I think the only reason I still listen to the CAGcast is Wombat. Cheapy's cult-like obsession with Mac products and Shipwreck's OCD with icons being the same size and thinking Mac UI is the only tolerable UI is obnoxious. Wombat on the otherhand maintains a healthy skepticism of everything and doesn't say ridiculous things like "Having never seen the Xbox one, I'm sure the Apple TV netflix is better" (-CheapyD).

Wombat rocks!

Love the show guys, thanks for all your hard work, but Cheapy and Shipwreck really need to tone town the Mac orgasms

Distinguished hosts:

There are two comments I want to make in connection with the Vox games discussion:

First, I agree with Wombat (that almost never happens). This world absolutely does need a podcast where Cheapy talks about shitting himself and his floor. Cheapy, while talk like that may seem pointless, you have to realize that it makes others feel less idiotic when they shit themselves (and/or their floor), piss on their legs, poke themselves in the eye, or even say something dumb. People do stupid things. We feel less idiotic for doing them if we realize we are not alone.

Second, I like Chris Grant and the Mcelroys, but my god that interview with him talking about the impact they were going to have made him sound like a pretentious ass and that is coming from someone who loved the old (now deceased) Joystiq Podcast. I'm willing to overlook it and to chalk it up to his enthusiasm for a new project, but I stand by my comment.

Wii U has a killer feature. The ability to continue games on the controller itself. Any family with a few kids and/or less tvs per household member will appreciate that.

That is if it works seamlessly with any game. If so it seems like a killer feature especially for their market. I agree the console is otherwise positioned weirdly in terms of its name and similar horse power to a 360 or PS3.

It will probably end up the same as any other Nintendo console as of late. It will be a 1st party game machine. Third parties will port 360 games to it with some half ass use of the tablet controller but that is it.

ATV is pretty sweet. Haven't used mine much since I built a W7 MC pc with a Ceton Cablecard tuner. But it is worth $100 just for the ability to stream the CAGcast into your living room.

bread's done
Back