CAGcast #272: Sony Sympathy

Ship, you should check out the Design & Tech videos that Rockstar has put out for Max Payne 3. Pretty in depth and with plenty of uninterrupted gameplay. After seeing those I have a lot of faith in the game. The gunplay looks incredible and Rockstar's animation work with Euphoria is godly. Should be a good game.

I don't doubt that the different tone will alienate some people, it's more Elite Squad or Man On Fire than "Noir York", but quality story telling and writing is pretty much Dan Houser and co.'s speciality so I'm not too worried.

Quality episode all in all. Hate to say it, but I'm right there with Cheapy as far as portable gaming goes. If I ever do need something to do when I'm out, I just read or listen to music on my iPhone. Also, I'm not really interested in bite-sized imitations of console games. But that's just me.

Didn't understand the whole "abandoning PSP brand" discussion. The brand is playstation. The old one is called Playstation Portable, the new one is Playstation Vita. Is Nintendo's handheld called the Nintendo Gameboy Color SP 3DSi?

[quote name='ianoid']The Vita is cool, but Sony is not a religion. Cool it all you crazy kids. [/QUOTE]

Seriously. I don't think I even know how to respond to the idiot who said he's not a PS3 fanboy because he "has a Wii" and started childishly saying "dumbass" over and over. The stupidity there makes logic escape me.

[quote name='actripxl']

Now as for the Pro-MS stance, I agree we all push what we cherish more, to me its more important to not have my money gouged and to be given great service, so for that I prefer the PS3 since I refuse to pay for Live. As gamers what we spend our money on dictates what other scheme companies will come up in the future to nicke and dime us, in the end this will only hurt those individuals that can't afford much.

Live is nice and better integrated than PSN but it is not worth paying for, remember you guys complain about Online Passes but Live in essence is the original online pass. Its hypocritical to say how it isn't right for gamers to pay to play online yet if you don't pay for Live you can't play ANY game on your Xbox used or new. That is where the bias comes in or at least the perception, in which perception is reality, because the fact is that if it wasn't a requirement to pay to play online on the Xbox most people wouldn't since other than online play there's really nothing worth paying for. I don't see the majority of people paying $40 a year just to have XGC and Party if regular chat was implemented on a Silver account.

Again your free to express your opinons but at least be consistant with the message, people notice when you guys pick and choose one thing over the other and giving MS much more favorable stances on almost everything, even when thinking about the repercussions would hurt gamers in the end.

Remember it was MS that instigated that games be $60, that has now led to EA pretty much charging $70 (Prothean DLC) for the complete version of ME3. MS started charging people to play online which is what led to online passes from companies wanting their share. People complain about $15 map packs but Halo started the trend in over charging for maps long before. [/QUOTE]

I don't think I've seen a more blindly hypocritical post on CAG, ever. Firstly, you're someone who uses the term "xbots" (previous post), has a sig that says "Xbox only players are morons," and you're a PS+ member when funnily enough you're going off topic on a whole cherade about how XBL is superior but "not worth paying for" (I'll get to that in a bit, it's pretty damn ironic). For these reasons, I don't even know why Shipwreck gave you the benefit of the doubt by responding to you, as you're clearly bias yourself yet you claim the CAGcast are bias because their opinions don't equal yours. There are a lot of salty Sony enthusiasts in this thread, but you stick out like a sore thumb.

"Live is nice and better integrated than PSN but it is not worth paying for"

"other than online play there's really nothing worth paying for"

Says who, you? You really think other people care about the opinion of a bias Sony drone? I'm sure millions of people can think of a plethora of reasons WHY live is worth paying $30/40 a month for, myself included. One, it isn't only XGC and party chat, like you said (although those things are amazing). Things like beacons & activities, which is my favorite online function ever, demos for every single game, and like YOU said, a better and more robust service (especially when it comes to friends list and comparing profiles and achievements as well as sending messages both text and voice).

Discounts. That's right, that was the excuse you were going to say about being a PS+ member, right? Free games you won't have access to when your subscription ends, and the discounts? Same thing applies to XBL. I've already got my $30 worth of paying for XBL from DotW discounts and it's only still February. Cloud storage. You pay for that, too, right? XBL members have it included when they pay for gold, cloud storage to be used anywhere. And you know what? There's a shit ton more reasons why people pay for gold.

The only reason PSN is free is because it aims at competing with the behemoth that is XBL, and if PS+ is any indication (adding features already avaliable to XBL members like auto-syncing trophies, cloud storage and discounts), COMBINED with the billions Sony are losing per year, it just means you're more screwed next gen than you think. Not sure why you also mention nickel&diming when the Vita's accessories and memory cards are a fine example of that, as with any manufacturer. HINT: Companies only care about your money.

I just don't understand why fanboys think they can post whatever the fuck they want and not realize the hypocrisy; does it really fly over their heads? Are their rose-tinted shades that tinted?

[quote name='donkeydrop']Didn't understand the whole "abandoning PSP brand" discussion. The brand is playstation. The old one is called Playstation Portable, the new one is Playstation Vita. Is Nintendo's handheld called the Nintendo Gameboy Color SP 3DSi?[/QUOTE]

When people say that, they refer to it not being called PSP2. The majority of people out there don't even know Vita exists, and had Sony called it the PSP2, which it essentially IS, it would have increased awareness.

Like calling the next console a Playstation Odin. People are going to be like "what the fuck? Oh, that's the PS4?"

[quote name='infamy']When people say that, they refer to it not being called PSP2. The majority of people out there don't even know Vita exists, and had Sony called it the PSP2, which it essentially IS, it would have increased awareness.

Like calling the next console a Playstation Odin. People are going to be like "what the fuck? Oh, that's the PS4?"[/QUOTE]

PSP is a familiar term now, just like the Game Boy was back in the day. Nintendo even said that the DS was to live along side the GBA when it first came out, and if the DS was a failure, they could've easily reversed it and continued with the GB name.

The term Vita is new and will be a whole new term for consumers to learn, Sony is essentially starting all over again, but hey, it might catch on easily.

And personally, I'll get a Vita when I can get it and a 8GB memory card for $200ish, and hopefully by then they get PS1 games and all PSP games working on it.

[quote name='ianoid']The Vita is cool, but Sony is not a religion. Cool it all you crazy kids.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I'm greatly annoyed by loud, obnoxious blowhards who attack one company while defending another with their life. I can only tolerate consumerism in small doses. And, most of the time, these loud, obnoxious blowhards are a.) kids who can't get mommy and daddy to buy them every video game console, or b.) immature adults who need to harness their enthusiasm into more worthwhile activities. It's just stuff, people.

[quote name='BradGrenz']Shipwreck's too stupid to read the screen, and somehow that's the hardware's fault?[/QUOTE]

You completely missed the point. The point is why would the game work in that manner? It didn't make any sense. Sony is like the anti-Apple. Anything that could be simplified to one click is extended to 3.

[quote name='bickle']You completely missed the point. The point is why would the game work in that manner?[/QUOTE]

Probably because some people are so dumb or so used to the PSP that they wouldn't even realize the screen on the Vita is a touch screen.

On the PSP naming discussion, they can't call the PSP Vita PSP2 because they already named 2 iterations by a higher number (PSP2000, PSP3000) It's like calling the next xbox, xbox 2. It'll confuse the hell out of casual consumers...

[quote name='shipwreck']I prefer the experience that I get on the Xbox 360, yes, but I play every platform (except the PC). The fact that the Vita requires you to use the touch screen for something that could easily be done with a button (like menu navigation) is an example of poor UI design. Nintendo has given you the option to use buttons or touch interface for menus for the entire lifespan of the DS and 3DS. And I've bought a Vita since this episode. There are things I like about it and things that I'm going to be critical of, because Sony deserves both of those reactions to this product. I'm always going to be bias towards the things that give me the best experience. That's how we all are.[/QUOTE]

Poor design to use a touch screen to have it do what it's suppose to do???? I think you can access what you want to faster and easier. Consider I'm a 42 year old gamer who hates change as well and I like it more this way as do my wife and kids. I only have issues with games like Fifa that force you to hit start and X to continue. I'd rather have the touch functionality which makes it feel like you are going backwards in time and EA got lazy and used the same PS3 interface. The UI is easier to understand and even my wife could do it and that says a lot because my wife hates all game systems. As for Walmart, I was there yesterday picking up a basketball set for my boys(we live in Delaware). There was 2 Vita's in stock and games were at a low supply. No Skylanders and no Plungers. :) Sorry I forgot to take pictures because my wife said that would be embarrasing and stopped me. I understand your thought process for wanting to use the buttons but I don't think that would really work well. if you adjust your mental approach I think you would get used to it and over time find it easier. You do it with your Wii don't you?

I'm more confused about the lack of knowledge when it comes to updates. Updates are made available and if you look for them you can install them and are not required which is nice but there should be a better way of letting the user know of this.

I'm also disappointed with the launch and crash on facebook, no word on what crashed but it was working properly for 1 day, then crash and off the network, though you can use the browser version. I love the twitter app.

I also loved Uncharted(finished this weekend). Great game but just below level with the first 3 games but damn close. I played the Fireworks AR game, wow, that music gets old quick and I turned it off. I gotta put my own music on when playing that game. Fifa, Hot Shots and Uncharted are the 3 winners so far on Vita. I love Fifa a lot more on Vita then I do on the console.

I am just excited for MLB 12 next week and try out Cross Platform play because that is the main reason for me to get the system. I'll probably not use the touch that much for that game because I want to play the same way as I do on the console.

For a gamer like me, the Vita is awesome, the fact that my foot is in a boot right now and my transportation is limited, making game changes harder makes me love the Vita more. Also, remember that this is the system following up the crappy PSP. Let's enjoy this system because it's 10k times better then it's PSP brother. I know we will see lots of shovelware on this system as well as some really top notch games.

regarding Wombat's iOS game complaints...

Wombat, why not take this as an opportunity to blog iOS game reviews on the site? They don't need to be lengthy. Maybe a few lines? Warn the CAG community about the bad ones, or praise the good ones. Be the fix right here!

[quote name='Ultramontane']regarding Wombat's iOS game complaints...

Wombat, why not take this as an opportunity to blog iOS game reviews on the site? They don't need to be lengthy. Maybe a few lines? Warn the CAG community about the bad ones, or praise the good ones. Be the fix right here![/QUOTE]

wombat's just lazy, there's a very active IOS gaming thread for deals on CAG that discusses the latest and greatest games on IOS, and if your into the eclectic elitist stuff, you can check the latest page on the neogaf IOS thread.

[quote name='infamy']Seriously. I don't think I even know how to respond to the idiot who said he's not a PS3 fanboy because he "has a Wii" and started childishly saying "dumbass" over and over. The stupidity there makes logic escape me.

I don't think I've seen a more blindly hypocritical post on CAG, ever. Firstly, you're someone who uses the term "xbots" (previous post), has a sig that says "Xbox only players are morons," and you're a PS+ member when funnily enough you're going off topic on a whole cherade about how XBL is superior but "not worth paying for" (I'll get to that in a bit, it's pretty damn ironic). For these reasons, I don't even know why Shipwreck gave you the benefit of the doubt by responding to you, as you're clearly bias yourself yet you claim the CAGcast are bias because their opinions don't equal yours. There are a lot of salty Sony enthusiasts in this thread, but you stick out like a sore thumb.

"Live is nice and better integrated than PSN but it is not worth paying for"

"other than online play there's really nothing worth paying for"

Says who, you? You really think other people care about the opinion of a bias Sony drone? I'm sure millions of people can think of a plethora of reasons WHY live is worth paying $30/40 a month for, myself included. One, it isn't only XGC and party chat, like you said (although those things are amazing). Things like beacons & activities, which is my favorite online function ever, demos for every single game, and like YOU said, a better and more robust service (especially when it comes to friends list and comparing profiles and achievements as well as sending messages both text and voice).

Discounts. That's right, that was the excuse you were going to say about being a PS+ member, right? Free games you won't have access to when your subscription ends, and the discounts? Same thing applies to XBL. I've already got my $30 worth of paying for XBL from DotW discounts and it's only still February. Cloud storage. You pay for that, too, right? XBL members have it included when they pay for gold, cloud storage to be used anywhere. And you know what? There's a shit ton more reasons why people pay for gold.

The only reason PSN is free is because it aims at competing with the behemoth that is XBL, and if PS+ is any indication (adding features already avaliable to XBL members like auto-syncing trophies, cloud storage and discounts), COMBINED with the billions Sony are losing per year, it just means you're more screwed next gen than you think. Not sure why you also mention nickel&diming when the Vita's accessories and memory cards are a fine example of that, as with any manufacturer. HINT: Companies only care about your money.

I just don't understand why fanboys think they can post whatever the fuck they want and not realize the hypocrisy; does it really fly over their heads? Are their rose-tinted shades that tinted?[/QUOTE]

1. Name one thing I can't do on my PC for free and better that I can do on XBL?

2. XBL $60= I get to play games that I bought new the ability to play online (gee thanks :roll:)

3. PSN+ $50= Since I've subscribed: All Back to the Future episodes, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Hydrophobia, Resident Evil 1-3, Costume Quest, Wipeout HD & Fury, Hustle Kings, Sega Game Classics Bundle, Far Cry 2, Marvel Pinball, Tomb Raider: Underworld, etc., etc., etc.,

4. You can't call yourself a gamer if you only own one system, no one would take a movie critic seriously if he only watched movies that were only filmed in 16:9 and dismiss the rest

5. So I'm a fanboy even though I can agree that Live is better integrated than PSN in chat features. So by saying the competition has a better chat functionality I'm biased against them? Sherlock Holmes here has me pegged.;)

6. Demos? You're happy to pay money to get demos? Oh and PSN+ had cloud storage first not that it matters. Then again you must be talking about paying for things like ESPN, Netflix, Hulu +, Last.fm, and ads. Then again I can get ESPN, Netflix, Hulu + and Last.fm on my pc for free with no ads by the way, exclude ESPN and trade Last.fm for Pandora and I can get that on my PS3, again for free. Oh and before I forget, demos, I can get demos for free.:D

7. The Vita has party chat, and XGC for free. Before I forget retailers are still giving out memory cards with the purchase of a Vita so if that's the best you have against
Sony for nickel and dimming then you should have no problem finding examples on the 360 side.

8. Add all those points and the lack of a good blu ray player= my sig.

I work hard for my money and I've been gaming for years and have seen how trends begin and called quite a few things out before they happened. I like getting the best bang for my buck and to me that is more important than paying for the ease of starting a party and XGC (which I can now do on my Vita for FREE!) and a bunch of other functions that I can do for free everywhere else.

Sony clearly gives more bang for your buck now, that you wan't to admit it is a different story but the ending is the same. MS is good because it pushes Sony and Nintendo forward interms of online features, my problem with MS is how they block you from playing your games online unless a ransom fee is paid. I nor anyone should have to pay an extra fee for something that is free everywhere else, now if they want to charge to have the option for party and XGC that would be fine as long as people are allowed to play their games online if they don't pay for that option.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a PS+ subscriber and an Xbox Live subscriber, I think I can honestly say I'm okay with paying the $3 a month that Live costs me and the $4 a month PS+ costs me. The pricing on both services is trivial. Just pay for what you enjoy.

(And stop quoting XBL as $60 a year around here. No CAG pays that much as it's seemingly always on sale for less than $40.)

I have to agree with the Vita's game lineup not interesting me. I don't wanna play tiny Uncharted with scaled-down graphics, I want to see it on the big screen and play it with good, non-gimmicky controls.

I couldn't agree more on the point about handheld games that mimic console games. Use the handheld platform to deliver something unique that can't be done on a home console. I've only got a DS and PSP right now, but there are plenty of games that utilize the hardware, games that simply wouldn't work on a home console. The World Ends With You and Gravity Rush come to mind.

As of now, I don't have a 3DS or a Vita. I don't see any games on there that compel me to get them, especially considering how they're both pretty expensive.

[quote name='koruwa']I still don't get what the mass effect 3 spoiler was.... anyone care to enlighten me?

*edit*
is this it?
is it the fact that you're going to be fighting cerberus?
[/QUOTE]

Maybe..... or it could be

that they showed a female krogan?

[quote name='shipwreck'](And stop quoting XBL as $60 a year around here. No CAG pays that much as it's seemingly always on sale for less than $40.)[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with you more strongly if MS didn't auto-renew people's XBL at $60. You not only have to be a cheap ass, but you have to be a cheap ass up front to keep from paying $60/year. It wasn't until this year that (except in a few states) you could even cancel the auto-renew without waiting on a phone call.

If MS just let your account expire after a year it'd be one thing, but they instead try to jerk you around and for most people, they succeed. It's so annoying really. MS is already ransoming your friends to you and they can't even be happy with $40, they gotta go for the brass ring.

[quote name='actripxl']1. Name one thing I can't do on my PC for free and better that I can do on XBL?

2. XBL $60= I get to play games that I bought new the ability to play online (gee thanks :roll:)

3. PSN+ $50= Since I've subscribed: All Back to the Future episodes, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Hydrophobia, Resident Evil 1-3, Costume Quest, Wipeout HD & Fury, Hustle Kings, Sega Game Classics Bundle, Far Cry 2, Marvel Pinball, Tomb Raider: Underworld, etc., etc., etc.,

4. You can't call yourself a gamer if you only own one system, no one would take a movie critic seriously if he only watched movies that were only filmed in 16:9 and dismiss the rest

5. So I'm a fanboy even though I can agree that Live is better integrated than PSN in chat features. So by saying the competition has a better chat functionality I'm biased against them? Sherlock Holmes here has me pegged.;)

6. Demos? You're happy to pay money to get demos? Oh and PSN+ had cloud storage first not that it matters. Then again you must be talking about paying for things like ESPN, Netflix, Hulu +, Last.fm, and ads. Then again I can get ESPN, Netflix, Hulu + and Last.fm on my pc for free with no ads by the way, exclude ESPN and trade Last.fm for Pandora and I can get that on my PS3, again for free. Oh and before I forget, demos, I can get demos for free.:D

7. The Vita has party chat, and XGC for free. Before I forget retailers are still giving out memory cards with the purchase of a Vita so if that's the best you have against
Sony for nickel and dimming then you should have no problem finding examples on the 360 side.

8. Add all those points and the lack of a good blu ray player= my sig.

I work hard for my money and I've been gaming for years and have seen how trends begin and called quite a few things out before they happened. I like getting the best bang for my buck and to me that is more important than paying for the ease of starting a party and XGC (which I can now do on my Vita for FREE!) and a bunch of other functions that I can do for free everywhere else.

Sony clearly gives more bang for your buck now, that you wan't to admit it is a different story but the ending is the same. MS is good because it pushes Sony and Nintendo forward interms of online features, my problem with MS is how they block you from playing your games online unless a ransom fee is paid. I nor anyone should have to pay an extra fee for something that is free everywhere else, now if they want to charge to have the option for party and XGC that would be fine as long as people are allowed to play their games online if they don't pay for that option.[/QUOTE]

holy shit, what an incredibly stupid and blatently wrong fanboyish post. As a ps3-only owner, you embarass all of us. :roll:

[quote name='Perfidious Sinn']I have to agree with the Vita's game lineup not interesting me. I don't wanna play tiny Uncharted with scaled-down graphics, I want to see it on the big screen and play it with good, non-gimmicky controls.

I couldn't agree more on the point about handheld games that mimic console games. Use the handheld platform to deliver something unique that can't be done on a home console. I've only got a DS and PSP right now, but there are plenty of games that utilize the hardware, games that simply wouldn't work on a home console. The World Ends With You and Gravity Rush come to mind.

As of now, I don't have a 3DS or a Vita. I don't see any games on there that compel me to get them, especially considering how they're both pretty expensive.[/QUOTE]
There are tons of people, myself included, that love the fact that I can play console level games on a handheld. I have no interest in playing mobile games. I haven't found one that has held my interest for more than ten minutes. They are all crap IMO.

Whereas I can play games for hours and hours on my 3DS, and more recently Vita, away from home.

You sound very uneducated as far as the Vita is concerned. Have you played Uncharted? Have you played it for more than Shipwreck did with his whole ten minutes at a Target kiosk? Because I have. I'm on Chapter 28. I've been playing the game for well over twelve hours of play time and would guess I have around five hours to go. The graphics are amazing. So much so that I am constantly taking screen grabs using the very easy to use option on the Vita. The game is every bit as good as it's console brethren.

It cracks me up every time Cheapy and Shipwreck say "I don't know who they are targeting with this thing? It plays console games, but worse." The reason they are so confused is because they are both Apple fanboys and just adore playing shitty iPhone games on a handheld device. Millions of people don't feel that way. And based on the Vita's first weeks sales, at least 600k don't agree with them either. Also LOL at their sales predictions.

Dungeon Hunter debuted at a $4.99 price tag and DH2 debuted at a $6.99 price. Any iPhone purchaser knows that these games from time to time go on sale, many times to .99. After the sale the price goes back up. So are you talking about regular prices or sale prices, because the Vita's DH can go on sale too. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the Vitas pricing either, but be fair. I always predicted that the Vita would be dead on arrival. The DH Alliance title arrived on PSN at $14.99 and the same game is on the Vita for $40?? This is ludicrous. IMO they should have concentrated their efforts on the Playstation Phone, buying out Ericcson sooner and giving it the full branding of Playstation. If they couldn't do anything about those damn nubs as analog sticks on the thing, then just omit them. It would still be a better experience on certain games than on the iPhone. Dungeon Hunter would be great on a Playstation Phone with an actual game pad. My .2 cents.

bread's done
Back