CAGcast #275: With Respect to the Vita

Also, have to say, Near isn't broken. When it says X number of people are playing, it doesn't mean that they're all playing the game on the little icon. The little icon is the game that has the highest "buzz" rating in your vicinity. Anyone who has their Vita on, or in sleep mode, with Near running will show up on the map around you.

Binary Domain doesn't prove anything about Japanese game development because we already had a 3rd person shooter from Japan that's better than Gears as a single-player game - Vanquish.

Did Cheapy only get the 16 GB version of the new iPad? Apparently the higher resolution screen means some apps and video content are going to take up more space, so the Tested guys were saying 32GB is the sweet spot. And of course, there's no way to upgrade memory on an iPad.

Just say it Wombat, your child got sick from Pooh!!! I'm surprised Cheapy didn't think of this during the conversation.

In the demo you could fight in reality fighters with a background but the game play is not worth it to me. The games I play the most on Vita are FIFA, MLB 12 and Hot shots Golf. I started Super stardust delta last night as well.

Near is using a few miles background to gather who is playing what. There could be Japanese downloading and trying netflix and just starting it once would count as playing. Question is how long does that last on near. I got my super stardust delta for free yesterday and gotta love that game on the Vita. The background on that game moves when you move around on the vita as well.

I went to buy my son a PS Vita this week. My local best buy was sold out of Vita and I traveled accross town and was able to get one there but they were low in stock. Games he wanted were also low in stock and had to order online to get a copy.

I think since Shipwreck likes to comment on crappy baseball games he should play MLB 2k12 on the 360. I think then he will love the Vita version of MLB 12 the show.

Are any of you frustrated with changing from disk 1 and 2 in Mass Effect 3? I've had to switch 4 times now. I wouldn't have bought the 360 version because of disk switching but I wanted to finish my story with my Shepard on the 360.

boring show. you didn't take the advice given by a forum member. didn't answer my cagbag question. I am rage quitting this podcast (ending itunes subscription).

Good place to stay in Disney World Wombat. I haven't stayed in the villas but I've stayed in Wilderness Lodge twice and it is easily my favorite. I hope you got to ride the Snow White ride in Magic Kingdom since they are closing it down.

[quote name='KingBroly']

This fall, I expect Wii U to come out in mid October, just in time for games like Assassin's Creed III, Call of Duty 21 and other major third party games to be released day and date with their PS3/360 counterparts instead of waiting until mid November. As for software, expect a Wii U _____ pack-in like before, perhaps with a racing game on shelves, F-Zero maybe, and probably a game starring a franchise (besides Zelda) that is highly regarded so all the 3rd parties can bitch that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles AGAIN.[/QUOTE]

As long as retailers offer decent Wii U upgrade offers I will not think twice about picking up a Wii U. I only paid $100 out of pocket for my Vita because of GameStop and the extra % trade in and PSP trade in offer.

I don't think we will have a new Mario Kart either. I did hear about a new Pikman - but I also doubt that will be a launch title.

I'd pick up a Wii U... if they can create a VERY GOOD Star Fox, and F-Zero games. (maybe). What happened to the Mario, Bango Kazooie...3D platforming, adventure games... where are they... If we had more of them would people really care about Mario...

Ship was willing to die fighting for his argument regarding Wii U expectations! I LOVE IT! MORE PASSION YOU THREE! Next time, I want to hear a cagcast host crying.

Wii U will be not more than $250.

If the streaming to the controller functionality works near perfect and you can play your console games on the controller even if the tv is off then it will have some extra serious appeal to families.

Last year's demos didn't look exciting.

But they have had a year since then to work on software for it and probably didn't show every killer idea that they had.

I see no reason why it won't end up selling halfway between what the Wii and GC sold just based their 1st party strength, new controller and culture of being creative with their franchises and highly polishing their games. Oh and also it is the first time they have done HD which I have a feeling will bring some reluctant fans out of the closet.

Still I don't expect more than a 1st party games machine. Doubt 3rd parties make exclusive titles for it.

[quote name='shipwreck']The irony is not lost on me.[/QUOTE]

I was waiting until the game dropped down in price, but the included anime segments & in-game cut-scenes are what appealed to me for this title as well as the one before it.

Naruto the comic does appear in a weekly boys' manga collection in Japan, but the author does insert a lot of themes that would interest adults (as his perspective as a husband & father inform the storyline & characters quite a bit).

I'd like the game as well, considering how much I follow the manga & anime nowadays. The main character's still a kid, but there's something to appreciate for folks of all ages (though the violence might be a bit much for the younger set).

1.) I would like to hear Cheapy's thoughts on the new iPad. Not everyone here hates the device or Apple.

2.) My personal experience with the Wii is more in line with Shipwrecks theories. I live in a very kid dense neighborhood (not toddlers). In fact my block has about 25 kids (10 families) with ages from 3-10 including my own. I believe every family has a Wii but only 2 have xbox 360. The kids get together to play Wii but never xbox. Sure this could change but the parents like Nintendo's image. Now I don't think this mean the Wii U will be a runaway but I could see more than a few families upgrading.

3.) Great idea for the iPad Mass Effect game to be on the Vita. I would love it.

4.) Hot Shots Golf is great on Vita.

Wombat:

Why don't you sell a bunch of games from your pile of games you never intend to play on eBay or wherever to provide yourself with funds for a Vita? That way you could buy one without taking money out of pocket so you would no longer be a 5th wheel whenever Cheapy and Wreck are talking Vita greatness!

Cheers, BD

[quote name='BetaDemo']Wombat:

Why don't you sell a bunch of games from your pile of games you never intend to play on eBay or wherever to provide yourself with funds for a Vita? That way you could buy one without taking money out of pocket so you would no longer be a 5th wheel whenever Cheapy and Wreck are talking Vita greatness!

Cheers, BD[/QUOTE]

I think that Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat should consider signing and auctioning off some old games that they'll never play again. Give the money to charity, even if it's the New Laptop for Mrs. Wombat Fund.

I think the pacing of this show was a little too slow for my liking, but it was nice to have wombat bring back some good-natured tension and corny jokes.

I liked episode #274 quite a bit, I find that Shipwreck seems to have seemingly unbiased and honest opinions of the games he plays. Unfortunately, I feel like Shipwreck is the quiet kid in high-school not wanting to talk unless he's been called on. It seems Wombat can occasionally take over the conversation at times.

Still no winner for ME3 PS3? Well I'd like to throw my hat into the ring again, then.

I'll chime in as the minority that didn't buy Mass Effect 3 at launch because of the DLC (that and games go on sale for $40 or cheaper in a few weeks). But I am not paying full price for a game, then adding another $10 on top for the "DLC". Which as far as I hear, is on the disc, important to the story, should have been a part of the full game, and was just taken out to milk the extra money blatantly.

But fans will pay it (and I will too when I can find the game cheap enough). But isn't that the problem?

Does anyone have the link to the mass effect 3 character import work around that Cheapy was talking about? Bioware is taking too long with their patch.

I think the Wii U will still sell a good amount when they start to crank out those fitness games. I know many many people who bought the Wii just because they thought Wii Fit was going to be this miracle cure to losing weight. Most of those people assume this amazing product is going to make them skinny in 2-3 days and it quickly begins to collect dust until some new fitness or dance game comes out and the cycle starts all over again. Even though it is repeated failures, they still keep buying them and hoping the next product will be the magic one.

Another thing I've noticed is that these people go all out. They'll buy the console, all the fitness and dance games, four controllers and nunchucks at MSRP and anything else they can get their hands on. Of course Nintendo is going to continue getting money off people like these.

I can see many Wii U's collecting dust in several people's homes for the same reasons.

Even though it won't be as easy to show it on TV, they'll still find a way to do it. I can already picture the hosts saying something like "Now you can have a tablet, AND lose weight at the same time!"

This in no way is an attack on Nintendo and their products. I have a Wii and many of my favorite games of all time are on Wii & Gamecube.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Still no winner for ME3 PS3? Well I'd like to throw my hat into the ring again, then.

I'll chime in as the minority that didn't buy Mass Effect 3 at launch because of the DLC (that and games go on sale for $40 or cheaper in a few weeks). But I am not paying full price for a game, then adding another $10 on top for the "DLC". Which as far as I hear, is on the disc, important to the story, should have been a part of the full game, and was just taken out to milk the extra money blatantly.

But fans will pay it (and I will too when I can find the game cheap enough). But isn't that the problem?[/QUOTE]

There's a ME3 PS3 contest? I missed that one. I still haven't bought ME2; it's on my pile of shame.

I'm certainly not talking about Duke Nukem; Wombat has returned. The humorous interjections were great. This show was definetely not dry, and even better there was good discussion of the many strong points of the Vita. Great show all the way around.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wii U (which mind you, is a lame rip on apple's "i") will have the same sort of mundane success as the 3ds. Think about how incremental the 3ds was over the DS and how the wiiU will be over the wii.

I remember working at gamestop when the WII launched and you have NO IDEA how insanely ridiculous the hype around that console was; it was all anyone ever talked about. That being said, the hardcore Nintendo and the kid-friendlies were already going to buy it. It was the fact that it was the 1st of its kind: motion control; that is enticing and a brand-new experience separating from the traditional button-mashing. Having that brand new experience made EVERYONE go get one. Me, You and basically everyone in the world. The WiiU is not is a slight nudge over what we already have. It will have the same mediocre success as the 3ds.

As far as the Vita, I am completely interested in this beautiful hardware. It's amazing if you ask me. Don't blame sony for your experience thus far, blame the third-party developers who aren't creating the ace titles you guys are begging for. Only thing you can really knock sony for is price. Because, they delivered on hardware...and while there's a lot to complain about: the memory card, etc. They did their part in a nutshell. I'm interested in buying one and as soon as the price drops one or two times, I'm going to get one.

ps. this site needs a major cosmetic overhaul. Honestly, it's just a lot of clutter to me and it makes me want to avoid certain parts of your website that i know i'd appreciate using. I'm not an idiot i can figure it out. But, i think i live in a day and age of apple products that now i'm spoiled. Please look into it and here's a little something for you cheapy, it's a steve jobs quote that i love "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" which he said back in 1980. Pretty crazy he lived by that all these years. Keep it simple guys. Love you so much, you're still the only video game website i even bother with.

[quote name='chado53']There is no doubt in my mind that the Wii U (which mind you, is a lame rip on apple's "i") will have the same sort of mundane success as the 3ds. Think about how incremental the 3ds was over the DS and how the wiiU will be over the wii.

I remember working at gamestop when the WII launched and you have NO IDEA how insanely ridiculous the hype around that console was; it was all anyone ever talked about. That being said, the hardcore Nintendo and the kid-friendlies were already going to buy it. It was the fact that it was the 1st of its kind: motion control; that is enticing and a brand-new experience separating from the traditional button-mashing. Having that brand new experience made EVERYONE go get one. Me, You and basically everyone in the world. The WiiU is not is a slight nudge over what we already have. It will have the same mediocre success as the 3ds.[/QUOTE]

The 3ds has sold 4.5 million units. I do not consider that a mediocre success.
Source : http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1220076p1.html

I'm looking forward to the Wii U's release...because that'll mean a price drop for the Wii! I can finally get one and play all the Wii games I missed out on.

I'm still waiting for a PSP price drop but that hasn't happened since the Vita came out. Thanks, Sony.

Hearing about From Ashes from multiple podcasts and friend's recommendations, it sounds like it really adds a lot to the Mass Effect 3 experience. So why isn't it in the game? At this point I'm just gonna wait for the GOTY Edition of Mass Effect 3 that has all the DLC. I did the exact same for Mass Effect 2, even though I really like the series.

It's ridiculous how many companies are cutting out portions of their game to sell later. I've been noticing how often I've been saying "I'll wait for the GOTY edition" because the game will have SO much DLC, and I want the complete experience when I play a game. Final Fantasy XIII-2, Kingdoms of Amalur, every Capcom game, and now ME3. I want to play them all, but seriously. I'll wait until they're finished.

[quote name='Perfidious Sinn']

It's ridiculous how many companies are cutting out portions of their game to sell later. I've been noticing how often I've been saying "I'll wait for the GOTY edition" because the game will have SO much DLC, and I want the complete experience when I play a game. Final Fantasy XIII-2, Kingdoms of Amalur, every Capcom game, and now ME3. I want to play them all, but seriously. I'll wait until they're finished.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, it's gotten to the point where I don't consider a game 'released' until the GOTY edition is available. Coming with $30-50 bucks worth of post (or day one) release DLC for every AAA title is really THE way to buy games anymore. When I scored the GOTY for GTA-IV for $20 from kmart...the DLC alone would have cost more than what I paid had someone 'given' me the game for free and I bought the DLC. The other week, I purchased Mass Effect 2--brand new--for $12.96 from newegg with all of the DLC included and I'm on the hunt for Red Dead GOTY. People who line up to buy or pre-order new release software are getting hosed.

I can feel your guys' ethereal indifference towards the Vita as well. It's hard to articulate, but nothing about the system is really selling itself. When you ask, "why should I buy a Vita," there isn't really much of an answer yet; Gravity Rush looks a little nifty, and a new Lumines sounds like it'd be worth playing, but it doesn't sound like it's worth ~$400. Methinks I'll wait for the Vita-2000.

Concerning the Mass Effect removed content, this is really making me think twice about the whole concept of DLC. Publishers pulling this kind of stunt are not ingratiating themselves towards us Cheap Ass Gamers. While I haven't been playing my Wii much lately, I really like Nintendo's principle of selling you the whole game in one package.

For what it's worth, my little brothers and I could give Naruto a good home. :)

While I admit the Mass Effect 3 day-one DLC feels pretty unseemly at first, there's an aspect you guys didn't really touch on. This being the final chapter of the series, it makes total financial sense for EA to release the DLC when the game ships. I imagine far fewer people would buy any DLC that has no meaningful story implications 2 or 3 months down the line after everyone's already beaten the main game. Anyway, great show, thanks! - mitch

Wombat thanks for shutting down Cheapy's traditional Kinect rant before he had a chance to start it up again.

[quote name='clay_bones']The 3ds has sold 4.5 million units. I do not consider that a mediocre success.
Source : http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1220076p1.html[/QUOTE]

right. but i was not focusing in on just the 3ds. i was comparing it to the success of WII. the wii saw insanely bigger sales when compared to the 3ds. get it?

I saw an article on Draw Something today and realized that there was a mistake in the show. Wombat said Draw Something was developed by Chillingo and said Chillingo also made Cut-The-Rope. Chillingo is a publisher. They don't actually develop things on their own, just split the profits with developers that want help from an established brand.

Ship and Cheapy's analysis of the Vita market was pretty good, but I thought it was funny that they agreed that better casual games ("nicer iOS games") rather than dumbed down PS3 games would be the best bet, then their example of a great Vita game was Motorstorm - a dumbed dumb PS3 game. What.

bread's done
Back