CAGcast #283: RAM JAM

[quote name='Wombat']I thought I took his busting quite well.[/QUOTE]

How many times has CheapyD called you a dick and mentioned the topic of teasing several times on a podcast? Sorry, I love you, but you really need to roll with the punches and admit defeat sometimes.

The criticism of Wombat's personality in the show feedback section is my favorite part of the show. The post-E3 podcast last year(?) was like one big orgasm. Kazoo.

[quote name='mrx001']People were more offended by Shipwreck buying a gaming PC than Cheapy being a f'en racist.[/QUOTE]

People are used to the latter by now. =P

I don't even see how Wombat was wrong about RAM. All 3 of them gave about the same definition. It was funny nonetheless.

[quote name='Yamato']I don't even see how Wombat was wrong about RAM. All 3 of them gave about the same definition. It was funny nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I had a good laugh.

[quote name='west goat']CheapyD being a dick was amazing. Wombat getting caught with his pants down needs to happen more often. He needs to learn to admit when he is wrong, or worse; lying.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, this. We like when Wombat sticks to things he actually knows about - the games he's played and his opinions of them (plus whatever's going on with his kids - my two are just slightly older than his two), and when he makes his jokes. Wombat often pretends to know about every subject, and Cheapy finally calls him out (finally!) and we see what happened.

On other (related) topics, Cheapy if you like slow motion shooting, the Super Nintendo is the console for you. Tons of slow motion shooters (Super R-Type I'm looking at you). Not that they're intentionally in slow-motion, of course.

[quote name='Yamato']I don't even see how Wombat was wrong about RAM. All 3 of them gave about the same definition. It was funny nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

All he said was what it stands for and that it makes your computer go faster. Which basically said nothing, and it was clear he knows nothing about it. Which is fine, except that he kept insisting he does know anything about it.

I'm Mexican-American as well, but I wasn't offended by CheapyD's bad Speedy Gonzalez impression (or whatever that was). It certainly wasn't as crude at his attempt at an African language when he started clicking his tongue. Yeah, it looks like we're all desensitized by his antics at this point.

I went to your previous two CAG meet-ups, so I want to go to this one, too. Maybe you can use Yelp and find a restaurant or shopping center we can all hang out in.

[quote name='Wombat']I thought I took his busting quite well.[/QUOTE]

Well, your opinion is your opinion, I guess... But from an outsiders POV, it was just awkward and weird. I expected to hear you whimper "kazoo..." at any moment...

[quote name='Yamato']Get a load of this guy.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rollett']Wow... wtf does that mean ? I guess Cheapy and Shipwreck needed to join some underground club first ?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jm2u']Actually, I think it does just that. Money can be exchanged for goods or services.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe three people thought my comment reference Shipwreck buying a PC on a whim was serious... April Fools!

I found it funny that Ship was nice enough to explain his decision to another CAG who seriously criticized him.
I won't lie though, I wish my gaming account had enough funds to purchase a gaming PC... right now my gaming account consists of about 30 dollars a month which I utilize to purchase used games from gamefly... thank CAG for Gamefly!!!!!!!! [insert Tebow gesture here!]

[quote name='Thomas96']I can't believe three people thought my comment reference Shipwreck buying a PC on a whim was serious... April Fools Forum Police![/QUOTE]

..Ya got me.

[quote name='Yamato']..Ya got me.[/QUOTE]

It's okay you didn't know...

Hey? you wanna donate 10 dollars to my gaming account Kickstarter program?

I thought the whole bit with CheapyD grilling Wombat on ram was gold. Laughed my ass off. Why is everyone so uptight? Aren't we here to have fun? Kick back and enjoy the show. ;)

Thank you CheapyD, Shipwreck, and Wombat for the laughs. Looking forward to PC game talk in the future.

I loved the show guys, great fun! Loved the part where Wombat was trying to talk about RAM, while he obviously had no idea what he was talking about. Nothing wrong with that Wombat, but I was surprised you didn't just take it like a man a moved on. Great show guys!

The part you guys didn't mention in the 38 Studios Curt Shilling story is that he's one of those Tea Party wack jobs that complain government shouldn't be involved in our lives, railing about government bailouts. Then took out a huge government backed loan and will likely declare bankruptcy sticking it to the public. A Boston sports radio writer summed it up perfectly here: The Hypocrisy of Curt Shilling

Cheapy and Shipwreck, if you're going to get into a PC gaming make sure to pick up a wired Xbox 360 controller (not a wireless with a recharge cord) for those times you want to play with a gamepad. It's something often overlooked.

I built my first ever gaming PC last November. My Xbox 360 has seen so little use since then (with the exception of Tales of Vesperia). Playing games like the Witcher 2 and Starcraft II is just amazing on PC. The significantly cheaper cost of games is also great. I can't even imagine paying the ridiculous console prices for games that could be had for half price or less on a Steam or Amazon sale.

[quote name='Hiei69']I built my first ever gaming PC last November. My Xbox 360 has seen so little use since then (with the exception of Tales of Vesperia). Playing games like the Witcher 2 and Starcraft II is just amazing on PC. The significantly cheaper cost of games is also great. I can't even imagine paying the ridiculous console prices for games that could be had for half price or less on a Steam or Amazon sale.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I only game on consoles using gamefly. I play pc gamethat exclusives or if I want some extra achievements. The video above is for basic pc learning.

however, Cheapy should not break promises as I have noticed three times he has broken the Cheapy promise for burping/farting. Someone has to hold you to your word and I am ok with being that person.

[quote name='trip1eX']Cheapie demanding Wombat explain RAM. Twilight zone!!!

RAM ... is just volatile storage. Turn the power off and your lose whatever you had stored in RAM.

Unlike a hard drive which permanently stores the data and programs.

Difference is RAM is way way way faster. That's why computers have RAM.[/QUOTE]
Pretty accurate. In general the CPU has direct chipset bridge access to RAM which is what makes it faster to read from as opposed to a hard drive. The OS loads items that are being/about to be used into RAM so the CPU doesn't have to wait for the information to process.

It's why when you have less RAM than needed for a program things run slower, the OS has to cache data to a hard drive and swap it in and out of the RAM continuously as opposed to dumping all the data at once into RAM to be accessed as needed.

In theory you can run a computer without RAM (not in the sense of loading an OS or programs as most people think of them but you could send machine language commands), though it would have to be a very specialized chip set. I wouldn't be suprized if a refrigerator or something had a CPU not using RAM.

The R in RAM is kind of misnomer now, as the way modern OSes generally load the RAM is anything but random. It more burst data access now. RAM is more accurate for the memory in say a graphing calculator nowadays.

[quote name='clay_bones']I thought the whole bit with CheapyD grilling Wombat on ram was gold. Laughed my ass off. Why is everyone so uptight? Aren't we here to have fun? Kick back and enjoy the show. ;)

Thank you CheapyD, Shipwreck, and Wombat for the laughs. Looking forward to PC game talk in the future.[/QUOTE]

Favorite part of the show.

It's too bad that you guys aren't going the CAG route and building those PCs yourselves since it's not only cheaper, but it'll help you better understand what all goes into making your machines do what they do. You may think you don't know enough about how to do it, but they've simplified the process enough that anybody could do it with some time, patience, and a little homework. If the extra dough is worth it to you guys, then that's a fine alternative.

I'll be curious next week to hear what Cheapy thinks of Max Payne 3 considering his aversion to more difficult games. I'm playing through the game on medium difficulty and by the start of Chapter 4 I had died 23 times. So many cheap deaths in that game. So so many.

Much like Shipwreck said about other Rockstar games, I've played about four hours of MP3 and I'm already feeling like I don't want to finish it. The game is tremendously polished and well presented but it just isn't fun at all. It feels like Rockstar went out of their way to disuade you from using bullet time. Whenever you jump into the air to shoot some guys down, some unseen enemy pops up and tears you apart as soon as you hit the ground. There's way too much reliance on cover.

That being said, I'm hoping Volition eventually makes a fun version of Max Payne and I can play as Cheapy D in it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's too bad that you guys aren't going the CAG route and building those PCs yourselves since it's not only cheaper, but it'll help you better understand what all goes into making your machines do what they do. You may think you don't know enough about how to do it, but they've simplified the process enough that anybody could do it with some time, patience, and a little homework. If the extra dough is worth it to you guys, then that's a fine alternative.[/QUOTE]

The value saved is often overstated. I've been shopping for a pc and decided to load all the components from a Digital Storm build into a Newegg cart. The difference was about $150. I've built enough pc's so that its no longer fun, and $150 is well worth the price of not having to deal with it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned building for $500...yeah that isn't gonna happen. Just quick estimate with very vague (but conservative numbers):
100 mobo
250 cpu
100 case
50 ram
100 OS
100 HDD
150 video card
---------
$850 already

Also, I would be extremely hesitant to suggest building to people that are unfamiliar with the current pc world. That seems like a recipe for disaster.

I know I'm a little late to the party on the Call of Duty Vita discussion, but I always see Call of Duty Zombies sitting in the top 100 or so of the ITunes chart dosn't it stand to reason that people want Call of Duty on anything they can get it on, regardless of whether the experience is inferior to the console?

Shipwreck's description of all the luxury cars in South Florida is pretty dead on, any tom dick and harry here usually has a shit house and a leased luxury car, bunch of narcissistic assholes trying to impress each other.

Glad you went to the Marlin's new stadium, Ship! I knew about sections of the stadium A/C being too cold but didn't think it was THAT cold. I'm excited to visit it next weekend when I go home for the holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:
So none of your Apple products were new enough to play Diablo III? Blizzard does a good job of making its games Mac friendly. Let us know how you like the gaming rig ship.

[quote name='bickle']The value saved is often overstated. I've been shopping for a pc and decided to load all the components from a Digital Storm build into a Newegg cart. The difference was about $150. I've built enough pc's so that its no longer fun, and $150 is well worth the price of not having to deal with it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned building for $500...yeah that isn't gonna happen. Just quick estimate with very vague (but conservative numbers):
100 mobo
250 cpu
100 case
50 ram
100 OS
100 HDD
150 video card
---------
$850 already

Also, I would be extremely hesitant to suggest building to people that are unfamiliar with the current pc world. That seems like a recipe for disaster.[/QUOTE]

I just hope the ibuypower place Shipwreck ordered from does a good job putting it together.

I bought my PC from Cyberpower in 2007, and they jammed the IDE cable so tightly against the bottom of the video card that the cable got worn thru in a few days and my DVD drive kept randomly disappearing. It took me a month to realize it wasn't a software problem, and that I needed to replace the IDE cable.

I love the show, BUT I gotta take issue with Cheapy's malaise about the E3 press conferences.

Cheapy, there are many people that would jump at the chance of being in your position. Sure call me jealous, but you get to go to LA and see stuff that only a few will. Enjoy it, because you never know when it will go away or maybe you won't have the means to attend. I remember a couple of years ago when E3 wasn't a reality and everybody was bitching about how they missed it. I don't want you to take these opportunities for granted.

BTW - I loved the Wombat ball-busting over the RAM!

[quote name='LimpDaddy']I love the show, BUT I gotta take issue with Cheapy's malaise about the E3 press conferences.

Cheapy, there are many people that would jump at the chance of being in your position. Sure call me jealous, but you get to go to LA and see stuff that only a few will. Enjoy it, because you never know when it will go away or maybe you won't have the means to attend. I remember a couple of years ago when E3 wasn't a reality and everybody was bitching about how they missed it. I don't want you to take these opportunities for granted. [/QUOTE]

I agree. Hearing Cheapy whine about the press conferences or having too many exclusive appointments with publishers/developers was a bit like the whole "first world problems" meme. :(

http://www.quickmeme.com/First-World-Problems/

I think with Cheapy and Ship (and hopefully Wombat in the future) starting to play PC games - this may attract more listeners to the podcast.

I sure do hope Cheapy livestreams something other than Tribes, perhaps a little Team Fortress 2? Could make a good excuse for a CAG game night with Cheapy livestreaming it.

[quote name='Thomas96']I can't believe three people thought my comment reference Shipwreck buying a PC on a whim was serious... April Fools!

I found it funny that Ship was nice enough to explain his decision to another CAG who seriously criticized him.
I won't lie though, I wish my gaming account had enough funds to purchase a gaming PC... right now my gaming account consists of about 30 dollars a month which I utilize to purchase used games from gamefly... thank CAG for Gamefly!!!!!!!! [insert Tebow gesture here!][/QUOTE]

I wish my gaming account had enough money in it to buy a pinball machine and THEN a gaming PC. I'm moving to Ohio!

[quote name='bickle']The value saved is often overstated. I've been shopping for a pc and decided to load all the components from a Digital Storm build into a Newegg cart. The difference was about $150. I've built enough pc's so that its no longer fun, and $150 is well worth the price of not having to deal with it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned building for $500...yeah that isn't gonna happen. Just quick estimate with very vague (but conservative numbers):
100 mobo
250 cpu
100 case
50 ram
100 OS
100 HDD
150 video card
---------
$850 already

Also, I would be extremely hesitant to suggest building to people that are unfamiliar with the current pc world. That seems like a recipe for disaster.[/QUOTE]
I may have been the post mentioning $500 PCs. I stand by that, it just takes buying components on sale over the course of a long while. For example, I got a $90 Phenom II, that alone is a huge savings (I know most people want i7s or the higher Zambezis, but there is something to be said about buying the best of last year's models). I think my case was $30, got one 4GB stick of RAM for $25, $75 mobo, $50 HDD, Windows 7 on sale for $80 and a 6850 for $130. $500 isn't going to get you the best of the best, but I can run any game that comes out and I never feel like it under-performs.

[quote name='LimpDaddy']I love the show, BUT I gotta take issue with Cheapy's malaise about the E3 press conferences.

Cheapy, there are many people that would jump at the chance of being in your position. Sure call me jealous, but you get to go to LA and see stuff that only a few will. Enjoy it, because you never know when it will go away or maybe you won't have the means to attend. I remember a couple of years ago when E3 wasn't a reality and everybody was bitching about how they missed it. I don't want you to take these opportunities for granted.

BTW - I loved the Wombat ball-busting over the RAM![/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I'm jealous and I'll be the first to admit it. Hearing Cheapy moan about something I would give my left nut for left me feeling pissy.

100 mobo
250 cpu
100 case
50 ram
100 OS
100 HDD
150 video card
---------
$850 already

This is CAG. Any time you can save some money and not have to rely on questionable third parties, it's a good thing.

If they had something like Tested's How To Build A PC video running while they work on it, it really wouldn't be all that hard to build it as long as Cheapy and Shipwreck are smart enough to take their time and not force anything into the wrong slots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_6asYE2yk

A few questions for episode 203,304:

Do you think that the age of the current console generation has any bearing on your interest in PC gaming?

Don't you think this represents a missed opportunity for the console companies, considering there are thousands like you who are considering PC gaming everyday who didn't before?

Full disclosure: I am not a PC gamer.

Comments:
People don't just play portable consoles on the go, they play at home on the couch while their roommates or family watches TV.

Marquee titles are what the Vita needs. I can't see how Wombat could argue whether a good FPS like Battlefield or Call of Duty done well on the system would help sales of the system. It is not only a and obvious fact, but it will be a requirement for the system to pick up it's dismal sales.

Full disclosure: I own a Vita, and I like it a lot, but I never play it. Not enough sticky content.

And I like it when Cheapy is being a 'dick'. It's fair game for him to f- with for our entertainment. Comebacks aren't totally necessary, your audience can tell when he's really being a jerk to you, Wombat.

[quote name='bickle']The value saved is often overstated. I've been shopping for a pc and decided to load all the components from a Digital Storm build into a Newegg cart. The difference was about $150. I've built enough pc's so that its no longer fun, and $150 is well worth the price of not having to deal with it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned building for $500...yeah that isn't gonna happen. [/QUOTE]
I've built plenty of computers for $500. If you just put in a bunch of components rather than searching for the best deals of course you won't save much money.

[quote name='bickle']
Just quick estimate with very vague (but conservative numbers):
100 mobo
250 cpu
100 case
50 ram
100 OS
100 HDD
150 video card
---------
$850 already[/QUOTE]
It doesn't sound like you are being a cag about it.
Even search of new egg items that are not on sale will find better prices on all those components with specs that are more than enough to blow away console graphics.
Not to mention that you can probably get an old case for free and used hard relatively cheap.
You could easily knock $300 of that price with out even doing any shopping around or waiting for deals.

Cheapy and Ship :

ivOWbErz4ZGNl.gif

And dont forget to plug your new PC to a tv and wireless x360 controller for a superior couch gaming experience then you are used to.

This is CAG, but Shipwreck and especially Cheapy don't give a shit about saving a couple of hundred bucks by putting together a PC from scratch themselves. Nor should they.

[quote name='Curufinwe']This is CAG, but Shipwreck and especially Cheapy don't give a shit about saving a couple of hundred bucks by putting together a PC from scratch themselves. Nor should they.[/QUOTE]
I said it was fine that they didn't, so I don't know why anybody is really arguing this. My point was that it could've been a good way to learn more about their PCs so they don't need to yell at each other to figure out what RAM is.

[quote name='ultrarobotninja']Cheapy and Ship :

ivOWbErz4ZGNl.gif

And dont forget to plug your new PC to a tv and wireless x360 controller for a superior couch gaming experience then you are used to.[/QUOTE]

So your saying they're gay lovers?

[quote name='Thomas96']Just because you can afford to buy a dedicated gaming PC doesn't give you the right to buy one on a whim.[/QUOTE]

Yeah shipwreck! How dare you buy a gaming pc without consulting the pc gaming committee!

[quote name='Hiei69'] The significantly cheaper cost of games is also great. [/QUOTE]

I really disagree with this. It might seem cheaper on first glance, but buying a game on PC is a sunk cost. There's no recuperation from selling it used. Add in how easy it is to amass a backlog with all the sales, and you have a lot of money flying away.

Basically what I'm saying is I spent $800 on PC games last year and the only thing I actually played were F2P games. Oh god and now I'm thinking about how much I spent on League of Legends.

bread's done
Back