CAGcast #301: Don't Be a Dick

[quote name='Vegan']If he turns on his PS3 between the time that firmware updates go live and the middle-of-the-night time that they're set to download, the PS3 is going to tell him to update it himself.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why this didn't even occur to me. I'm sick. I think I'll blame it on how crappy I feel...

It bothers me that games don't come complete anymore. I have a giant shelf of games that I treat like trophies. All complete, non-greatest hits. It isn't complete if it doesn't have a instruction manual! I wouldn't be able to proudly display it, it would mar my collection until I was forced to get rid of it because of my undiagnosed OCD.

Anyways, if this is the wave of the future, there is no point in owning physical copies of anything. So we can start by giving me that Walking Dead code. I'm a huge fan, caught up to current (103) in the comics and current with the TV series. I've been following you on twitter for a while now. I am @The_Bronson.

Thanks!

[quote name='shipwreck']It is set to auto-update. I just seem to catch it before it auto updates or I still have to install a downloaded update. Then with games like Medal of Honor there are large patches to download and install. I've learned to live with it and never count on being able to turn on my PS3 and play a new game immediately. This is my continued experience with PS3 and I'm not bashing it. It's just the way it works in my house.[/QUOTE]

Got it. I know you're on your PS3 more than I am, probably, even though I don't play PC or 360 :). Now that you mention it, it seems like it used to download automatically but I still had to install it, but for the last 2 or so it both downloaded and installed automatically, which was nice.

What I don't like about the auto-update is that it requires you to turn auto-login on. Since I use my account less than other people in my house do, I don't want it to auto-login to my account (worried my kids might do stuff on my account by accident). So that kills the whole auto-update thing for me, at least. They should have a way of making it start up in the right account and do the auto-updates without having auto-login set. It is a minor point, but annoying to me nonetheless. Then again, I don't mind the firmware and game updates all that much - never seems to take too long.

it's not just the manual ship. it's everything sony related. the manual is just an example of how critical you guys are of sony's playstation platforms. yeah, there are certain things about the playstation that I don't like, but I guarantee that if there was an xbox game that shipped with no manual in it, you guys would probably mention it, but it WON'T get snide remarks. manuals are overrated and nobody looks at them (nobody meaning the majority of people don't give the manual a thought). it's not like it was back in the day when you paid for a game and actually read the manual. Nowadays, just about every game has an in game tutorial that shows you how to play, so nobody even takes out the manual. the way the gaming landscape is going, i think manuals are going to be a thing of the past because of in game tutorials. if you want a manual, that's fine, to each his own ya know, but my point is that this is a small example of how sony is sort of the joke console for you guys and it gets ragged on more than any other product you guys talk about.

and you guys mention the slow download times (i agree), but gigs is gigs and it takes just as long on the xbox as it does on the ps3 in my experience. the difference comes with the updates. the actual initial game download takes a while, but when it comes time to update, the 360 does seem to update faster than a ps3 does. but you say you have playstation plus (which i think is excellent btw), then why don't you and cheapy just set it to update automatically? i never wait for an update of a game because it's already done when i get ready to play. playstation plus has been an absolute joy and they should have released this service earlier. i imagine it's because you guys don't hardly play your ps3's, which is fine. but don't complain when you turn it on after you haven't used it in months (years maybe?) and have to download a firmware update or something. they don't come around as often as you think and since i've had playstation plus, i haven't had to worry about it.

[quote name='Wombat']you misread, I am not calling him biased. I am saying he should set an example and just write good articles about games. Not articles about other writers.[/QUOTE]

When news journalists are caught plagarising or making up facts, they are called on it. Why shouldn't games writers be called out if their hand is in the cookie jar?

Why are you so afraid of transparency?

[quote name='Nephlabobo']When news journalists are caught plagarising or making up facts, they are called on it. Why shouldn't games writers be called out if their hand is in the cookie jar?

Why are you so afraid of transparency?[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be a total dick here, but the general media is hardly transparent and routinely spins stories to their own vested interests. I think there is a lot more subliminal 'lobbying' of game journalists than what is made public, ie. trips to studios, dinners, etc. As far as I know there is no clear code of ethics in the industry to ensure you remain impartial. It is probably more on an employer by employer basis.

Therefore, sometimes you have to be a grown up and evaluate the source just like in the normal media. Everything can't be taken at face value. In this case, she was outed and made to look like a fool. But thats why you develop trusted sources of information who are less partial than others.

[quote name='shipwreck']I've learned to live with it and never count on being able to turn on my PS3 and play a new game immediately. This is my continued experience with PS3 and I'm not bashing it. It's just the way it works in my house.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel. I don't have Ps+, so I get to download (which takes 10-15 minutes if not longer) and install (which takes 5-10 minutes if not longer!) every single time an update pops up. And not only firmware updates, even patches for games or updates for games. Is the ps3 really that different from the 360 that they can't just copy they way downloading updates is on the 360?

The Surface with RT could be used as a work computer depending on what you need. Surface RT is limited that it runs on ARM and you can only install apps that are on the windows app store (which is limited right now, but will most likely expand quickly). However it also has a desktop mode where MS Office 2013 comes pre-installed, which is probably what you need for work purposes.

I do feel the pricing is a little high. I was really hoping to see it come in at $499 with the Touch Cover keyboard , but for any real work purposes the Type Cover (actual chicklet keys) is much better. But if you aren't already tied to the Apple ecosystem and really wanted to get a tablet. The Surface is a good choice, it has a lot of the "essential" apps and Office 2013 which would handle pretty much all of your productivity needs.

The Surface Pro, which runs ultrabook specs and full Windows 8, is said to come out 3 months after Surface RT. So it will probably be out around January 2013 and priced around $1000.

[quote name='TheDrypa']This is exactly how I feel. I don't have Ps+, so I get to download (which takes 10-15 minutes if not longer) and install (which takes 5-10 minutes if not longer!) every single time an update pops up. And not only firmware updates, even patches for games or updates for games. Is the ps3 really that different from the 360 that they can't just copy they way downloading updates is on the 360?[/QUOTE]

Basically? Yes. MS has been making Windows for many years, they had a better idea when implementing the 360 OS.

The 360 DL+Installs at the same time. The PS3 has to DL first, then install once it finishes. As another result besides taking a little bit longer (not much unless 15g game) you need double HDD space while it installs.

[quote name='Whutt2000'] but my point is that this is a small example of how sony is sort of the joke console for you guys and it gets ragged on more than any other product you guys talk about. [/QUOTE]

Then you must plug your ears when they talk about the Wii ;).

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Basically? Yes. MS has been making Windows for many years, they had a better idea when implementing the 360 OS.

The 360 DL+Installs at the same time. The PS3 has to DL first, then install once it finishes. As another result besides taking a little bit longer (not much unless 15g game) you need double HDD space while it installs.[/QUOTE]

I heard (on this podcast?) that this is because the PS3 is base on Linux. Not sure if that's really the reason, though.

CONFIDENTIAL!* 30 days money back Guarantee! * 10% discount for all next orders! * FEDEX overnight Free Shipping WORLDWIDE No extra Costs! * Get FREE sample tablets with your order! * Many payment options: Visa, Amex, MasterCard, Diners Club, JCB, eCheck, Wire transfer etc. * We provide only Original HIGH QUALITY Products online! [url=http://pharma-shop.best-onlinestore.net/go.php?sid=6 >>>STOP Search! START Save Money!

CONFIDENTIAL!
* 30 days money back Guarantee!
* 10% discount for all next orders!
* FEDEX overnight Free Shipping WORLDWIDE No extra Costs!
* Get FREE sample tablets with your order!
* Many payment options: Visa, Amex, MasterCard, Diners Club, JCB, eCheck, Wire transfer etc.
* We provide only Original HIGH QUALITY Products online!

>>>STOP Search! START Save Money!

CONFIDENTIAL! * 30 days money back Guarantee! * 10% discount for all next orders! * FEDEX overnight Free Shipping WORLDWIDE No extra Costs! * Get FREE sample tablets with your order! * Many payment options: Visa, Amex, MasterCard, Diners Club, JCB, eCheck, Wire transfer etc. * We provide only Original HIGH QUALITY Products online! >>>STOP Search! START Save Money!

CONFIDENTIAL! * 30 days money back Guarantee! * 10% discount for all next orders! * FEDEX overnight Free Shipping WORLDWIDE No extra Costs! * Get FREE sample tablets with your order! * Many payment options: Visa, Amex, MasterCard, Diners Club, JCB, eCheck, Wire transfer etc. * We provide only Original HIGH QUALITY Products online! >>>STOP Search! START Save Money!

bread's done
Back