CAGcast #303: The Hurricane

Hey Wombat,
Thanks for the story about hurricane sandy. I didn't feel it was 12 wasted minutes, but an interesting personal news story. Living in the midwest I don't hear much news about what is going on along the coast.

It's weird that Cheapy tries to shit all over Sportsfriends by suggesting that Sony isn't backing it when they're signed up for Pub Fund, which lets the developers self-publish on PSN with marketing help from Sony and they're going to recoup development costs once the game is finished. They have to fund the game themselves to finish it, which is why they went to Kickstarter for help. They also get to keep the IP to put anywhere else they want after an exclusivity window, which is also something that the other Pub Fund developers like to see. This isn't a normal publishing deal like Sony has done with the thatgamecompany games and plenty of other Sony PSN games where they front all costs in return for various concessions (exclusivity, full control of the IP, etc.). Just saying "Why so cheap, Sony" just shows Cheapy's ignorance of the program and eagerness for opportunities to take shots at Sony for no reason.

Despite being "last place", Move controllers still sold well and there's quite a bit of support for the controllers with more coming all of the time. You guys may not like it, but that doesn't mean that there are no games, no support, and no sales. There are at least 60 Move-compatible games on PSN including digital versions of retail games, though even the Move section doesn't have everything that's actually on there. Recently, Portal 2 just got updated with full Move support with Move-exclusive DLC along with more recent games like Counter-Strike GO, NFS Most Wanted, 007 Legends, Foosball 2012, Okami HD, Unfinished Swan, and others just to name a few.

[quote name='hunterny77']Wombat glad you and your family are okay. My family and I were without power or water for 4 days. We empathize with you something Cheapy lacked. Cheapy we know earthquakes are popular in Japan; however, hurricanes the magnitude of Sandy are not this side of the east coast in the USA. Love you man but sometimes "the jerk " role is not humorous.[/QUOTE]

I agree. That wasn't cool.

In regards to the PC/console cost discussion at the end of the podcast:

I disagree that consoles are going to have to get way more expensive to make PCs more appealing. I think we're there now, and have been for a while.

Yes, the upfront cost for a PC (if you don't already have one) is significantly higher, but don't forget how much cheaper the games are. The day 1 cost is already cheaper: some extreme examples have the PC version costing $30-35 on day 1 against the console version's $60. But aside from that, games drop like a rock so much faster on Steam, GreenManGaming, etc. Remember how fast Sleeping Dogs got down to $20 on PC; has it even hit that price on consoles yet? If it has, it's a disc-only copy sitting on a GameStop shelf with some clip art cover.

In addition to all this, you don't have to worry about all that Project Ten Dollar shit on PC, because every copy is new. Waiting for a game to go on sale never means having to sacrifice some piece of content that's tied to a serial number. A lot of times, they throw in DLC for free, too, that they're forced to charge for on the consoles. My copy of Assassin's Creed 2 came with the The Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities. While everyone else complained that they didn't have much content for the asking price, for me they were just part of the game.

Sure, a benefit of console games is that you can sell them back for a portion of what you paid, but it's usually an insulting amount of money that doesn't even matter.You don't mind that you can't sell PC games when you paid so little for them, and that feeds money into the industry that a used sale doesn't.

I knew Wombat was back when he asked Shipwreck, "How much did Microsoft pay you to say that?" when Ship was talking about how good Halo 4 looked. hahaha classic. Welcome back, Wombizzy!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's weird that Cheapy tries to shit all over Sportsfriends by suggesting that Sony isn't backing it when they're signed up for Pub Fund, which lets the developers self-publish on PSN with marketing help from Sony and they're going to recoup development costs once the game is finished. They have to fund the game themselves to finish it, which is why they went to Kickstarter for help. They also get to keep the IP to put anywhere else they want after an exclusivity window, which is also something that the other Pub Fund developers like to see. This isn't a normal publishing deal like Sony has done with the thatgamecompany games and plenty of other Sony PSN games where they front all costs in return for various concessions (exclusivity, full control of the IP, etc.). Just saying "Why so cheap, Sony" just shows Cheapy's ignorance of the program and eagerness for opportunities to take shots at Sony for no reason.

Despite being "last place", Move controllers still sold well and there's quite a bit of support for the controllers with more coming all of the time. You guys may not like it, but that doesn't mean that there are no games, no support, and no sales. There are at least 60 Move-compatible games on PSN including digital versions of retail games, though even the Move section doesn't have everything that's actually on there. Recently, Portal 2 just got updated with full Move support with Move-exclusive DLC along with more recent games like Counter-Strike GO, NFS Most Wanted, 007 Legends, Foosball 2012, Okami HD, Unfinished Swan, and others just to name a few.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I didn't like him bashing Sony either especially since he doesn't have proof that Microsoft drops of money in trucks.

The latest PlayStation Blog covered the game and talked about the support for it. I honestly believe that the way Sony is handling the game is far much cooler than Microsoft's way of just dropping off money. Sony is actually talking about the game, helping with the marketing aspect of it, and bringing guests on their podcast to talk about it. That is real support. Microsoft may have the money's, but they over saturated our world with games people will never play. At least sports friends has a real story on how it's being created. It just doesn't magically appear like some of these kinect titles.

bread's done
Back