CAGcast #313: Dead Spaced Out

wp20130210001.jpg

You can use Xbox, Bing to search for content in all of the apps you have installed, except for Amazon (most likely because you can't choose to buy/rent any videos through the Xbox app-have to use Amazon's website first). It even shows you which services include the video free with their subscriptions or which ones you have to buy.

Always love the show, but I think you missed one major point on the effects locking used games would have on used games. It would kill services like gamefly and the gaming sales done through services like redbox. It would also prevent you from lending your games to friends.

As for gamestop doing a good business on xbox point cards and steam game cards. If you have a gamestop reward card you gain gamestop reward points for buying the cards there. It's not a big perk but with as many cards as I buy your reward points add up pretty quickly and even bad free swag is better than no swag at all.

Any ps3 or 360 that sells this year or at least six months ago was probably sold to someone replacing an old system or to a customer who most likely won't be in the market to buy a next gen system later this year. The momentum of the previous system doesn't have any bearing on how next gen systems will sale. I think it's all about the system features and what exclusive games are coming out at launch. More importantly, It's all about E3...when both companies put their cards on the table. nice discussion about momentum, but I don't think it'll even matter.

[quote name='bickle']Show Notes

01:45 HipHopGamer / ECA
07:15 Show feedback:
07:15 - Nintendo announcement
12:30 - GTA4
14:45 Watch this: The Raid Redemption. Dredd
16:45 New Releases
16:45 Fire Emblem Awakening
18:00 Dead Space 3
19:45 Sly Cooper
21:45 Fist of the Northstar: Ken's Rage
24:30 Child's Play update, prizes next week
25:30 Star Wars Pinball
26:45 DICE
28:30 Ouya in June. Ouya vs Wikipad
34:45 Spyhunter
37:30 New Xbox rumors
46:45 Sony changes ad agency / Vita sales projections
51:15 Mailbox - gmail app for iphone
52:15 Cagbag: Momentum into the next generation
54:30 What old games do you still play? Skyrim
58:00 IGN bought by Ziff-Davis
59:15 What new features in next-gen
1:01:15 What single game would make you buy a console?
1:05:15 Ni No Kuni
1:05:45 Battle of Middle Earth
1:07:00 Tomb Raider controller
1:08:30 Guns[/QUOTE]

Thanks. This is valuable info to have, would be nice to have it in cheapy show notes

I think it's time for Cheapy to dig out that old Kinect. You can use the Kinect to search for videos with Bing so you don't have to type it out on your controller.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Good show but I don't understand why Cheapy would prefer android games over Sony games for the Vita. Has Cheapy ever owned an android device before? The games on android aren't great, they're not even on par with iOS yet. The Vita needs games like Mark of the Ninja, Fez, Limbo, Castle Crashers, Journey, Shank, NBA Jam on fire, Megaman 9 & 10, etc. These PSN/XBLA games would fit perfectly on the vita because they don't gain anything from being playing on a big HDTV, they're cheap, and they would play great in a portable setting. Hopefully going forward Sony makes it a requirement that every exclusive PSN game has to also be made for the vita. [/QUOTE]

Exactly how I feel and to add a bit:

Wikipad seriously? Would you really want to carry something like that around all the time? It's downright fugly. The Vita hardware is perfect. There is no need to strip the OS off and put on an android interface. It's obvious that non of you yet own an android device because although I love my nexus 7 the app store isn't quite there in terms of gaming. The thing is Sony is offering more than anyone else right now and no one is caring....which sucks. The Vita alone has given us free games like Motorstorm RC, Frobisher Says and Jetpack Joyride (etc).

There are bite sized games from Playstation Mobile, there are Playstation Minis, there are PSP games, there is now arcade at home. Finally we have full fleged PS Vita games. I'd say there is a pretty wide variety of content available all at varying prices. Add on PS+ and the value just goes up. Microsoft and Nintendo (and android for that matter) aren't offering anything close to this kind of an ecosystem. If anything Sony needs better marketing.

Are any of you going to PAX East in March in Boston?

If the PS4 were available/playable there would you be more or less likely to make the trip?

I don't understand Cheapy's desire for Apple TV to play games from iTunes. Seems like games designed for a 3.5 inch touchscreen won't be too fun or look too good played with a controller on a 60 inch TV.

I agree with others that playing PSN and XBLA (as if that would happen) games on a Vita seems like a natural fit. Smaller (in scope) games that are less expensive and generally playable for shorter periods at a time. But still lots of really fun, well-made games.

Love the show but come on Cheapy D.

First, the Bing thing does work but I am so used to just launching the Netflix or Hulu app to use it. I tested it when I got my Kienct back. Would be great if they added the bing search for all the apps or from the guide button.

Also I think Cheapy D would be all for the OUYA if it was called "Apple OUYA". This is the device that you have been waiting forever from Apple, it is just not being made by Apple. While I have not bit on the device either, for $99, it does seem like a pretty good alternative. They are also getting retail partners so it will be supported. This holiday where we will have new $500 consoles, $100 one seems like a good fit for many people. If they can also get full app support for Netflix, Hulu, Etc. it will be even better.

I don't think the Android marketplace is as good as the Apple marketplace, although OUYA will have it's own thing going on, they really need to stress quality titles. Having a marketplace with crapware or worst, fake games (Has Pikachu on the icon but we all know it is not a real Pokemon game).

Wombat is the best too.

[quote name='jkam']Exactly how I feel and to add a bit:

Wikipad seriously? Would you really want to carry something like that around all the time? It's downright fugly. The Vita hardware is perfect. There is no need to strip the OS off and put on an android interface. It's obvious that non of you yet own an android device because although I love my nexus 7 the app store isn't quite there in terms of gaming. The thing is Sony is offering more than anyone else right now and no one is caring....which sucks. The Vita alone has given us free games like Motorstorm RC, Frobisher Says and Jetpack Joyride (etc).

There are bite sized games from Playstation Mobile, there are Playstation Minis, there are PSP games, there is now arcade at home. Finally we have full fleged PS Vita games. I'd say there is a pretty wide variety of content available all at varying prices. Add on PS+ and the value just goes up. Microsoft and Nintendo (and android for that matter) aren't offering anything close to this kind of an ecosystem. If anything Sony needs better marketing.[/QUOTE]

I think it is more that people really want and want to like the Vita. Sony locked it up to the point that they have lost the market. Instead of focusing on trying to bring large console games to the hand held, bringing the Arcade/Indie games to the device would have been much better. Along with the weird UI and memory card price. The physical device is solid, just wish someone else made it. Because the lack of units sold it makes it very hard for any developer to choose to develop for the device. I doubt it is an easy switch to move a game from PSN to the Vita, otherwise we would have already seen it. Vita reminds me of the PS Go. A year after it came out, the only people that forgot about it quicker than the consumer was Sony.

Also there was a Vita product placement in Warm Bodies although it was so quick it would be hard for most people to tell what it actually was.

Wombat,

I don't think Nintendo has the luxury of starting a Mario 3d years in advance. That is why, on any new platform, we see a lot of mediocrity at launch. Or in Nintendo's case we see very few titles since it seems they believe it is better to have no new games on the shelf than to have 5 mediocre games.

I bet Rayman 3 was a (temporary) exclusive as long as the Wii U met some sales estimates. When that didnt happen the suits were free to hold it back and they did so they can leverage the marketing campaign across all platforms. Sounds like the game is done though.

I found it funny when Cheapy and Ship were ragging on Wombat about the Xbox Bing/Netflix search thing and they were wrong. We all know that if Ship had said the same it would not be contested at all and be taken as a fact. Come on guys, give Wombat the benefit of the doubt some of the times... wait let me re-think that, no keep giving Wombat shit that's better for the show.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Also I think Cheapy D would be all for the OUYA if it was called "Apple OUYA". This is the device that you have been waiting forever from Apple, it is just not being made by Apple. While I have not bit on the device either, for $99, it does seem like a pretty good alternative. They are also getting retail partners so it will be supported. This holiday where we will have new $500 consoles, $100 one seems like a good fit for many people. If they can also get full app support for Netflix, Hulu, Etc. it will be even better.
.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you on that statement... It's exactly what goes through my head every time he comments on it. If OUYA/Vita/PS4/steambox/whatever had an Apple in front of it he'd be super-pumped and use said items every day.

Regarding the rumor about the new xbox and PS4 not playing used games:

What if Sony and MS were playing this up just to get Gamestop to approach them for some kind of profit sharing on used game sales. If the new Xbox and PS4 really wont play used games, that is going to kill Gamestop. It would be in Gamestops best interest to provide some kind of incentive to both Sony and MS so that the new consoles are able to play used games.

Great show.

bread's done
Back