CAGcast #318: Gary Coleman

I can imagine Shipwreck dressing his kid in overalls just so he can carry it around by the straps. Portable child for a man with much gaming and Wal-mart trips to do! lol. Congrats though!

Congrats Ship! Depending on how your child is, your gaming may or may not suffer. Mine has a 6th sense when im playing and,always wakes up an hour into my gaming sessions and loves attention. But his cousin is laid back and you can put her in a playpen or bouncy and she is content. All depends on the child.

Hope you enjoy handhelds though, because I gained a whole new appreciation for them after my boy was born.

Congrats shipwreck, was really surprised to hear this.

Regarding Cheapy's child abandonment situation, I can side with him a little bit. Personally I don't think a child his age should be left alone without notice, as psychologically this can do damage that can manifest itself in countless ways. BUT social norms in Japan are different than the western world. Child abandonment laws are not the same as they are in America. Children their age are left home alone all the time here and it is not a big deal. I am a English teacher in Japan, and even my first graders walk to school by themselves every day. The busy streets they cross by themselves would terrify any Americans, but children are raised differently in this country. Should Cheapy have left without saying anything to his son IMHO, no. But in his defense, they are raising a child of Japan in Japan.

Glad cheapy noticed the Sony HoC promotion. I have to say it was one of the worst product placements when they had Kevin Spacey talk about wanting to buy a 2nd Vita so he could have one to play in his car.

I guess the series was shot back when the Vita could only be inside a single place or else it wouldn't work anymore.

oh wow Congrats Shipwreck!!! BABEH BABEH BAABBBEEHHHH. I have to say it's trippy. I've been listening since Cagcast #1 and beyond just all the video game talk, hearing about you guys and your lives, Cheapy to Japan, Wombat through milk sniffing and Shipwreck having a mansion, plus all the babies you guys have had now, so crazy. It's more than just a podcast about video games. love it. Wish you all the best :D

edit: FOR THE LOVE OF HUBERT CHRIST, Wombat play Bioshock Infinite so you guys can do a round table discussion!!!!!!

I was put off by Cheapy's negativity towards the 3DS when Wombat said he was enjoying his XL. If Cheapy doesn't like it, that's fine, but does he need to bring that up whenever it's discussed? I'd like to hear if Cheapy even played any recent titles for the thing before he dismisses it entirely.

[quote name='Jasper Kazai']

And no, Cheapy, you can't transfer your Xbox Skyrim character to PC. I would highly recommend making the switch over to PC, since there are really amazing mods. But I imagine that you'd have no interest in the modding scene.
[/QUOTE]
I believe modio still works to transfer saves as long as you don't have the dragon born DLC.

Congrats to shipwreck.

[quote name='itachiitachi']I believe modio still works to transfer saves as long as you don't have the dragon born DLC.
[/QUOTE]

Modio worked great for me when I decided to move to playing Skyrim on my PC. Cheapy, it's definitely worth giving it a go. Skyrim on the PC is absolutely amazing!

And congrats as well to Shipwreck. Having a child is such a life enhancing opportunity. It completely changed my life a little over 6 years ago. We constantly ask ourselves what we ever did before our daughter.

What was the name of the new console that plays all the old games?

PS....great timing on the announcement, Shipwreck. I did a "What!!!!" out loud when I heard that. Good thing no one was around.

I had to go back and listen to the start of the podcast just to hear Shipwreck's announcement again. He said it so nonchalantly that I thought at first that it was a joke. My reaction was pretty much on par with Wombat's. Even as the episode progressed, I was still in total shock. Congrats!

I'm a little hesitant to get excited for the RetroN 5. I bought one of those SNES/NES players a few years ago and the thing didn't work. Reviews for most of those systems are either, "This works great!" or "This won't work at all." It's very hit-or-miss so I'll keep my excitement at bay for now.

I am very interested in that RetroN 5 system, mainly because of the save any time feature allowing one to continue playing games that their internal battery has long run out. If the console construction is solid I will definitely pick one of those up as I still have all of my old cartridges.

I still have not seen "The Dark Knight Rises", yet Wombat's Bane impersonation makes me laugh every time.

Also, "Game bath!" got a good laugh outta me, too.

Congrats to Ship and Mrs Ship!

Regarding Skyrim on the PC, I've tried it but the mouse seems so floaty, it's super annoying. I've tried editing the cfg file according to some sites & it helped, but it still doesn't feel precise.

Dunno if anyone reads my show notes, but my work situation has changed and I can't really listen and take notes now. At least for a while. Sorry!

Haven't listened yet but I gather from all the posts what Shipwreck's news is. You may have me whipped in the Gamerscore (and games played/beaten) department, Shipwreck, but you'll never top me in number of children! I'd like to see you try ;).

And don't listen to Wombat - it might not even be that hard. You might even find (considerable) time to game despite what everyone else here says. Hell, I have 5 of them and have always found the time! (Ignore my Raptr profile below - I've been playing the 3DS a lot recently).

I have a feeling "Gary Coleman" will be your code name until the kid is born. FYI, my XBL and PSN name ("Odibee") is what we called my daughter when she was in utero (and before we knew she was a girl). Then my son (the one you and Cheapy met) was "Odibee Jr". Along those lines, I would strongly recommend not finding out the sex of the baby in advance. It is a great thing to find out when the baby is born. Although with our first one it was such a long ordeal (24 hours of labor in the hospital) that it almost became an afterthought once she was born. By the way, I will never believe any movie ever again - the Hollywood version of the woman having water break and rushing to the hospital and barely making it is a crock - we never had anything close to that experience with any of the 5. We had much the opposite experience actually (#3 was 10 lb 10 oz - think of the Family Guy joke about Lois after Chris was born - that was my wife ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat, you should just break down and get Infinite -- it's worth it! Also, you didn't have enough mula but you got a 3ds and a game? =P

Congrats Shipwreck!

Also, I'm very much looking forward to the new CAG.

Congrats to Shipwreck!

Also - lol @ Wombat complaining about having no money to buy and play Bioshock....
literally 1 minute later: "I bought a 3DS XL!!!"

*cheapysigh*

[quote name='ternatsof']Congrats to Shipwreck!

Also - lol @ Wombat complaining about having no money to buy and play Bioshock....
literally 1 minute later: "I bought a 3DS XL!!!"

*cheapysigh*[/QUOTE]

I live on a budget, that would have afforded the 3DS or Bioshock. Not both. I went with the 3DS.

Congrats Mr & Mrs Shipwreck!!! I hope and pray for a happy and healthy baby and pregnancy!

NICE timing on the announcement Ship! I don't think anyone on Earth could have predicted that.

Brings back pleasant memories of when Cheapy made Wombat play 20 questions to find out that he & Mrs Cheapy were expecting a baby.

[quote name='Wombat']I live on a budget, that would have afforded the 3DS or Bioshock. Not both. I went with the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Personally I applaud that decision. You got the 3DS XL for a great price and with the free game (which I missed out on because I registered my XL just before they announced that deal). Bioshock Infinite is (mostly, I assume) a single-player experience that you can play later when the game is available cheap. I still have yet to play the other 2 Bioshock games so I know I'm waiting!

Congrats to Shipwreck & Family! Wombat's reaction was great :)

Also quit trying to pressure Wombat to buy Bioshock at $60. Friends don't let friends buy at MSRP.

Congrats to Shipwreck and the Mrs. I'm sure the show will take a nosedive when Cheapy and Wombat have to step up when Shipwreck is out and game-impaired.

Let's be honest, Cheapy's not going to make friends with neighbors in his building. He'll make Mrs. Cheapy do all of the work to make friends so that they have a place to drop off Tai in an emergency.

The Retronauts kickstarter page specifically mentions what the $12k was for:

We'd like to keep Retronauts operating at the same level of quality it's always had, but we unfortunately lack the resources necessary to make this dream a reality. As it stands, we need all of the proper equipment, an acoustically friendly space to record, and the many gadgets and gizmos that a regularly produced podcast demands. We've done our research, and selected modestly priced and durable gear that will assist in bringing you the same Retronauts you've listened to these many years. Okay, and maybe we'll pick up a few fancy, vibrating chairs if this thing breaks a million.

Since they've blown past the goal, now they're adding a lot of videos and other things to the Kickstarter to be worth the extra money. The physical goods also take up a good amount of the money, though they've been modest in design of the goals to limit how much they have to spend on that stuff.

Congrats Ship! Kids are much more amusing than games.

Cheapy maybe Goozex will buy CAG too. Make your "trading zone" a real alternative to the floundering Gooz. Exit strategy! We know you want out.

[quote name='Wombat']I live on a budget, that would have afforded the 3DS or Bioshock. Not both. I went with the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

So do Ship and Cheapy - you don't hear them complaining every other episode that they have to pay off a mortgage, thus not being able to play some new games.

Wombat, don't get me wrong, do with your money whatever you want, I'm certainly in no position to tell you what to do, but please don't use it as an excuse every time the others play games that you haven't gamed yet.

Also, didn't the 3DSXL cost more than just Bioshock, no?

In fairness, he has a train to take every work day whereas Bioshock can only be played when he is at home when he has less time to play. In that situation a 3DS (or vita) is probably a better long term investment.

I suppose Ship can scratch Cheapie off the babysitter list.

AFter playing co-op in Lego Batman 2 not exactly disappointed they didn't do co-op in Lego City Undercover.

After playing co-op in CoD:BO2 kind of disappointed they didn't do co-op in Lego City Undercover. That's where 1 player gets the Gamepad screen and one gets the tv screen with the pro controller or wiimote/nunchuk.

And definitely disappointed you can't kick your kid off the tv to the Gamepad screen.

"Not this thing again." - my 6 yr old's reaction to his 2nd Lego City Undercover load time. Historically worst ever load times in a video game? Just maybe.

^ I haven't played Lego City Undercover, but it seems the best use of the Gamepad is for getting rid of the need for splitscreen. Ie, one person plays on the TV, one on the pad both with independent full-screen views on each. This is the way I believe Sonic Racing Transformed works and one of the reasons why I'd probably pick it up there vs. on the PS3/360. It is pretty disappointing they couldn't do that for the Lego game.

[quote name='guardian_owl']In fairness, he has a train to take every work day whereas Bioshock can only be played when he is at home when he has less time to play. In that situation a 3DS (or vita) is probably a better long term investment.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think this is what everyone is missing. While having kids doesn't necessarily mean you can game a whole lot less, it does mean you have to get more creative about when you can game. Wombat is taking advantage of that commute time to game and the 3DS XL is a great investment for that. Bioshock Infinite, on the other hand, is something he'd have to play when the kids are asleep and he probably has a very small window for that.

Why did Wombat not make a bigger deal out of his used "new" 3ds that he got from Target? He may have uncovered a pretty big scandal if you ask me. If I were Wombat, I would have sent the story straight to Kotaku and watch them make a huge deal out of it.

Congratulations to the Shipwrecks!

Your waking hours will increase, your game time will plummet, and you will never be happier. At least in six or so years you will have someone that will really want to play games with you. At least that's how it worked for me.

Congrats to both Shipwrecks...but Shipwreck, if the kid is a girl and you make her play some of the trash Mrs.Shipwreck had to endure for gaming reviews...
Well I think I'll then make sure to flame you every chance I get.

bread's done
Back