CAGcast #329: This Is Your Next Podcast

Wombat, quick show your daughter the dash, another great picture is up to scare her again. I really wish they would figure this out.
You could set your Xbox to boot straight to the disc. Doesn't solve the problem if you want to play an arcade game or use Netflix, but better than nothing.

btw my daughter commented on the gross dashboard image and she is in college.

Called Xbox support and they showed me how to set it to family and none of that stuff comes up.  Also, you can put it on child in the same part of the menu and it won't pop up with the Evil Dead dashboard picture.

Homie, I can see your doodle.

I would love to hear what y'all think about the Last of Us.

Great show as usual.

So the dash replaced the ad for State of Emergency. With an ad for Evil Dead. Man that Major Nelson really hates kids.

While I think Wombat had it right that Sony hit it out of the park in comparison with BF3, it's only because of name recognition, sadly that's the most important thing.  When it comes to real comparisons I think Microsoft is the better deal and going to cost them more.

BF3 is on sale for $5 all the time now on pc, obviously more on console but EVERYONE already owns it that really wants it.  Sure you may not own it on ps3 but if you have it on 360 or pc why would you want it for ps3?  Smaller multiplayer communities and starting your unlocks all over from scratch again?  

Defense Grid is a solid game and valued about the same as BF3 maybe more and no one has it, lots more will likely download it.

So Sony wins the PR front because of name recognition and it will likely cost them very little in comparison to Microsoft probably much larger expense to have everyone scoff at them for a relatively unknown game.  It's a double win for Sony but unfortunate.

Thanks for talking up the latest Call of Juarez. Despite loving CoJ:II, I hadn't checked out the new one yet, and without hearing the praise for it, I might have passed it by. So I checked it out this weekend and loved it. A little short, but I'd be a very happy gamer if we saw more games that provided a similar high calibur experience, low price, and short length that left you wanting more (rather than outstaying their welcome). I can think of a bunch of games that I would've been happier with if they had been shorter and cheaper. Sometimes they just go on too long. Gunslinger was a fantastic game and well worth $15.

To everyone (myself included) that wants to get rid of the explicit ads due to kids in the house, here's how you do it (thanks to @XboxSupport):

Navigate to Settings > Privacy

Click Change Settings

Click Customize

Go down to Content > Filtering

Change to Family

Now it's all Despicable Me 2 ads and Sesame Street ads. :)

FYI, I checked Netflix to see if it would block content on there and it does not.  Cop Land, which is Rated R, loaded up.

Wombat, if you could mention this on the Cagcast, that would be great since I'm sure not all the listeners check this thread.

I'll take the no ads at all on my dashboard option. What if Windows loaded ads every time you booted it up...wait, does Windows 8 do that?

I agree that the Dashboard ads can be a bit disturbing. I'm 21 years old and get offended by some of the ads on there every now and then.

Great show again guys- I'm in for Doodle Jump!

While I think Wombat had it right that Sony hit it out of the park in comparison with BF3, it's only because of name recognition, sadly that's the most important thing. When it comes to real comparisons I think Microsoft is the better deal and going to cost them more.

BF3 is on sale for $5 all the time now on pc, obviously more on console but EVERYONE already owns it that really wants it. Sure you may not own it on ps3 but if you have it on 360 or pc why would you want it for ps3? Smaller multiplayer communities and starting your unlocks all over from scratch again?

Defense Grid is a solid game and valued about the same as BF3 maybe more and no one has it, lots more will likely download it.

So Sony wins the PR front because of name recognition and it will likely cost them very little in comparison to Microsoft probably much larger expense to have everyone scoff at them for a relatively unknown game. It's a double win for Sony but unfortunate.
As well as BF3, Sony is currently offering XCOM, Saints Row 3 and Uncharted 3 for free to PS+ members. There's no comparison between all that and Defense Grid.

If MS is unable to offer recent games of that quality because they let you keep the games permanently, then they should change their policy and only let you keep the games as long as you are an Xbox Live Gold subscriber.

I think Hard Driving (If I'm recalling the name correctly) should be the inaugural game for a new segment "Play This Bitches."  Also, while Cheapy jokes about it, I find your real life anecdotes one of the reasons I come to the show.  As a father of a 1 and 3 year old, I love hearing what I should do from Wombat (create a couch coral to wrangle small children) and what not to do from Cheapy (leave a note for your 5 year old while you go to the emergency room at 3 am).  I also look forward to hearing Shipwreck's stories as he experiences life as a new father.

In for Doodle Jump and I would take a TMNT pic as long as it's Raphael!

I had a similar issue with the Xbox ad with my 8 year old daughter. Thankfully, I was able to catch it in time, see what was on the screen, and move it to another image prior to her entering the room. My daughter is at that age where every little thing causes problems at bed time. This would have destroyed weeks worth of coaxing her to stay in her bed at night.

In for Ninjas, baby!

Would love to hear your opinions of the news that Vivendi is going to take out a loan under the activisiion name to pay off it's debt which might seriously effect Activision.  Also do you think this will effect Cheapy since he is a share holder??

Great cagcast as usual.

A little late, but I was wondering if any of you had a chance to get some hands on time with Earth Defence Force 2025 at E3? It's definatly not the highest profile of games, but I have always enjoys the series and look forward to the EDF 2025.

I was also wondering if Kings of Steel was still keeping Shipwreck's pinball itch scratched?

Keep up the good work and....IN FOR NINJAS!

I really hate how Wombat tries to insert himself in every joke someone else makes, sometimes ruining the joke. Why cant CHeapy and Ship just talk about sucking and blowing without someone else interrupting.

Anyways, good show as always.

In for Ninja?

Yeah, I am behind on listening to this podcast.

Shipwreck is wrong about why people are upset about the new consoles. Saying it is because people can't afford both is preposterous. It is not even close to why I was disappointed and wanted to voice my opinion about draconian DRM that would make the Xbox One a useless device for me.

Good to know that Cheapy and Shipwreck ignored all the worthwhile and logical responses to his Xbox 1 piece in favor of just whining about how some of them were mean.
Its too bad that CheapyD wants to say his piece but doesn't want to hear anything from others and has quit reading comments.

I miss poop jokes...
me too...

I think you could improve the show by spicing up is flavor. Thus, my idea is that you guys should randomly invite one of your wives to join you on the Cagcast once in a while. What do you think.
Agreed. I would like to hear the spouse's opinions on the games they are watching/playing.

bread's done
Back