CAGcast #336: Fine Feathered Friends

I enjoyed the Beetlejuice reference Cheapy!
Oh what was that? I skip through some of the show, usually at the beginning when they are talking about "nothing". I know it sounds like an ass statement but the beginning of their show is like watching ship, wombat and cheapy at the coffee shop pouring over the excruciating minutiae of every single daily event. This summer their opening bits were much longer due to the lack of games. So I look forward to the fall.

Oh back to the reason I posted. EL GUAPO! Thanks wombat, love all your subtle humor.

Great show as usual, fellas. I gotta say, though, Ship...you're wrong, there's nothing wrong with Wild Berry Skittles. On the other side of the coin, Wombat, you're not 100% right about Duck Tales being awful. I didn't have a problem with it, though I did think it was a little too short for $15. I had no problem with the mouths not moving, just chalked it up to that art style. I don't recall whether I've actually played the original enough to compare this to the original, since I think I was 2 when it came out for NES. Still, of the two remakes that came out in the last two weeks, I think Castle of Illusion might be the superior.

Cheapy and Shipwreck, give Diablo III on consoles a shot. Haven't had a chance to play them on PC, but now I don't feel the need to after hearing how it is much better than the original edition. The controls work, the graphics look fine (granted, I'm not really a graphics snob, so I'm a poor judge of that), and the story is...well, it's still a Diablo story, so what can you expect.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's really not that interested in GTA V. Sure, it looks decent, but not enough to get me to rush out and buy it. Same thing with next-gen consoles. Neither of them have anything coming that make me excited to rush out and preorder. There are no games coming for it that do anything for me one way or another. I'm more excited for games still coming this gen, like Fable Anniversary.

Always a pleasure hearing you guys every week. Keep them coming!

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst part of this episode was the PC complaint from show feedback. I can't think of a single game podcast out there that doesn't mention the PC when it comes to multiplatform games. It's been a long ass console gen, of course the PC is going to be mentioned! It's the best version for every single mulitiplatform game for the last three years! Get the hell over it.

I don't think the Chrome Cast is what you think it is. It cannot be used for gaming. It might work for web-browser games, but you are not going to be using it to play anything off Steam or play World of Warcraft on your TV. That's what I thought it was when they first announced it, but I was sadly mistaken. The Chrome Cast can stream stuff off of your Chrome Browser and that's pretty much the extent of it. It can run its own apps too like Netflix. 

I've also looked into a wireless HDMI option, but right now those things are freaking expensive (more so than the Vita TV). The one at monoprice is $166. 

The reason why I think the Vita TV works is because it has more processing power than the Chrome Cast since the Vita TV is essentially a Vita without a screen. The power of the other machine (in this case the Playstation 4) is also important for streaming from one device to another. The Vita has a 2Gz quad-core CPU and 512 MB of RAM. The Chrome Cast and even the Apple TV and Roku do not have that kind of power. Heck, the Roku 3 can barely run Angry Birds. I mean it can,  just not very well because that's not what it was designed to do.,

I guess this device is for me because I am already pretty deep into the Playstation ecosystem and I have decided to get the Playstation 4 over the Xbox One due to all of Microsoft's ridiculousness. Playing the Playstation 4 in my office or in my kitchen without a second PS4 or moving a big console around the house is very appealing to me. I also have over 20 Vita/PSP games from my time in Playstation Plus, so it would be nice to actually be able to play them. One really big thing that appeals to me is that I love Valkyria Chronicles, so being able to play Valkyria Chronicles II on my TV with my Dual Shock just sounds awesome!

The Vita TV can also presumably run the streaming services from the PS4 that are not on the Vita, so that means I can watch MLB, NHL and WWE Pay Per Views using this thing. So yeah, while a $35 stick would be nice, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. If Microsoft releases one for the Xbox One it will probably be $100 because such a device would probably have to have similar specs to the Vita or Nvidia Shield in order for it to work properly. 

(I think why something like the Wii U Game Pad works is because they're using their own band and not standard wifi. Which means it has a pretty limited range of about 25 feet. I don't think a similar approach would work for streaming onto a home network)

When this thing launches here (I assume it's going to launch in the US), I think that they are going to have to include a controller and keep the $100 price tag. I mean, it's not a huge deal for me since I have multiple DS3s, but I just think it's going to be awkward for the consumer. I mean, you can get them for pretty cheap now, but the MSRP is still $54.99.

If some CAGs threw in 5 bucks each, I'll bet we could have a PC for Wombat (made this century, even!) within a couple of hours.
That's not a bad idea, I think it's been mentioned before. But I still feel like cheapy and shipwreck should chip in something.

I'm primarily a PC gamer and have been listening to the show since around episode 70 or so.  I went through years of listening to the crew talk down on PC gaming or just generally not caring about it so it's nice to hear some chat about it.  A game on a proper PC will always look better than it's console counterpart so if you have access to one (like Cheapy) that is usually going to be the best place to play it.  With so many great games out and most coming to PC, it's worth it to wait for a PC version instead of playing it on console.

Hopefully with the new consoles (I have a PS4 pre-ordered and own a PS3, Xbox and Wii), console graphics will again be brought up to PC quality.  After the PS4 launch, if a game is better played with a controller, I will likely buy it for the PS4... until PCs again move ahead of consoles in terms of graphical quality... then it will be back to playing on my PC with the xbox controller and the consoles will be played by the kids and be used for exclusives.

I enjoyed the comic con chat as well.  We just had our first comic con as well in Salt Lake City and I was on the team that helped organize it.  We had over 70,000 people attend on the final day alone with celebrities Stan Lee, Shatner, Adam West, Burt Ward and many many more help to drive that number of people.  I've been to a few other comic cons around the country and it's nice to see them spring up and flourish.

As always, thanks for the great show, keep up the good work and everything else.

I'm primarily a PC gamer and have been listening to the show since around episode 70 or so. I went through years of listening to the crew talk down on PC gaming or just generally not caring about it so it's nice to hear some chat about it.
That's my stance on it. We had yeeeears of shit-talking and poo-poo-ing to listen to. I like how they've turned around on the subject, and hearing the new types of games that they're discovering for the first time. It's like re-living your favorite game by listening to someone who just played it for the first time.

Gentlemen:

This episode had we laughing so hard I almost got on a car accident on the freeway because my tears were blurring my vision. Thanks to Wombat's bleach, leather pouch and golf balls.

Again, thanks guys forr the laughs.

Great show guys!  I don't think the PC talk is too much at all.  I may be biased though since I have a PC in my entertainment center and am about to build a gaming rig to play some of the latest games.  I'm going to be skipping the new generation for a few years, so I'll be playing everything on PC as well as taking on the backlog.  That said, I'm going to be very upset when you start talking about the new consoles since I won't have one.  All I hear is PS4 this and Xbox One that...  ;)

I'll take a Volgarr the Viking code if there are any left.

Wombat should check out Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Collection. Goofy, Donald Duck, Tarzan, Jack Skellington, Ariel, Peter Pan, etc all have moving lips, mouths, and beaks!

Think I saw it hinted at in this thread about the Vita TV, but think about the future, all the way to the year 2000. One other reason for it to exist; 1 or 2 years after PS4 release there will be even more people paying for Playstation Plus because the non-free/non-subscription games will require PS+ for multiplayer. So those 5-30 "free" Vita games in their collection are unplayable because said gamer maybe doesn't care about handhelds and tiny screens. Give them a $100 option (they'll obviously already have old DS3 controllers and DS4 is said to be compatible later) and it can do other stuff, play Vita games while PS4 in use, and in any room of the house, that may up the adoption rate a bit.

Diablo 1 killed 2 of my mice, literally. Diablo 2 you could click and hold for auto attack but it still was a lot of clicking for other things.

Saw it mentioned in past thread but not brought up on the podcast: Jolly Ranchers, purple is good, yellow is bad/worst.

GTA hasn't been good since Vice City so I don't get the hype either.

I find that Skittles taste better when you eat a bunch of one flavor, rather than mixing them up. If you just eat all the flavors together, it starts to taste kind of meh after a while.

People probably thought I was "nuts" at how hard I was laughing in my car when Wombat was talking about golf balls and chicken wings lol.  I don't think I have ever laughed like that listening to a podcast and you guys have had some pretty funny shows before.  And I just kept laughing when Wombat was still laughing.  Wombat was awesome this episode, great stuff.

Just a little info on 1080p vs 1080i if you care?

1080i is Interlaced so it only displays half the lines then uses another frame to display the other half.  You still get 1080 lines of resolution but half the frame rate.  You can get 60 frames a second in 1080p but only 30 fps in 1080i.  Not a big deal with movies because they usually only run at 24fps, but not good for games with a high frame rate.  For gaming 720 is better than 1080i because of the loss of frames.

Hope that made sense.

I like the podcast but man sometimes it's so maddening how you guys love to talk about things that you only seem to tangentially know or care about (especially last cagcast with the PA thing).

I can understand why you may want to avoid gaming news to prevent spoiling yourself from games you are looking forward to but it's also then funny that you want to do a gaming podcast ... and don't play the industry's most antipated games ... and then bag a bit on indie games.

But I have to fill my driving commute with something I guess so ... keep up the good work?

Also regarding Gone Home,
I can understand why some folks felt "spoiled" by Cheapy's comments regarding the gay sister but honestly making that the twist "she was gaaayy alll along!!!" reveal in a game coming out in 2013 is so anachronistic it's silly.

Many have discussed but....

The PS Vita TV might not seem like an awesome idea for a large market but I am definitely interested. I have wanted to play a number of games on the Vita, but have no interest in a handheld device. I also already own a PS3 so I have a controller.

This device seems like the perfect way to experience some games I would have otherwise missed. Plus, I would have access to Vita games that I have "purchased" on PS+ (saved to my account just in case). $100 seems like a solid price point.

I like the podcast but man sometimes it's so maddening how you guys love to talk about things that you only seem to tangentially know or care about (especially last cagcast with the PA thing).

I can understand why you may want to avoid gaming news to prevent spoiling yourself from games you are looking forward to but it's also then funny that you want to do a gaming podcast ... and don't play the industry's most antipated games ... and then bag a bit on indie games.

But I have to fill my driving commute with something I guess so ... keep up the good work?

Also regarding Gone Home,
I can understand why some folks felt "spoiled" by Cheapy's comments regarding the gay sister but honestly making that the twist "she was gaaayy alll along!!!" reveal in a game coming out in 2013 is so anachronistic it's silly.
I came to terms a long time ago that you just don't listen to the CAGcast for reliable and informed news.

Since none of you are going to play GTAV, here is what I imagine you would say:

Wombat: "This game really uses the n-word a lot. I was a little taken aback by it. Did it bother anyone else?"

Cheapy: "I can see why people like it and say it's good, but it just doesn't look as good as a PC game. I'd rather play Saints Row and have fun."

Shipwreck: "It's.....another GTA game. Yep, that pretty much sums it up."

Since none of you are going to play GTAV, here is what I imagine you would say:

Wombat: "This game really uses the n-word a lot. I was a little taken aback by it. Did it bother anyone else?"

Cheapy: "I can see why people like it and say it's good, but it just doesn't look as good as a PC game. I'd rather play Saints Row and have fun."

Shipwreck: "It's.....another GTA game. Yep, that pretty much sums it up."
I started it last night, and yep, pretty much nailed it.

I think everyone on the podcast has missed the point of the PSVita TV. It's price point matches the good Roku and the Apple TV. But unlike those devices, it allows you to both stream PS4 games and play Vita games, which have the potential to be of far higher quality than any phone game (despite Cheapy's comment). If you're in the market for a media streaming device, why would you buy a Roku or Apple TV and pass up the other features for the same price?

bread's done
Back