CAGcast #337: A Very Special Tokyo Game Show Special

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Super Programmer John joins Wombat and Cheapy for a Tokyo Game Show 2013 discussion with PS4 and Xbox One impressions, including: TitanFall, Deep Down, Forza 5, RYSE and much more!

Download (1 hour 07 minutes) - iTunes -
Listen on Soundcloud.com

GoDaddy Web Hosting & Domain Registration Coupon Codes!
Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
32% off for all customers with code 32off1
$4 .com registration with 1 year privacy with code FREE9

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Outro

CAG #337

5:45 Show Feedback
5:45 - Vita TV
10:30 New Releases
10:30 - Grand Theft Auto 5
19:15 - Foulplay
19:30 - Wonderful 101 demo
20:15 Tokoyo Game Show
22:00 - Deep Down
24:30 - Forza 5
25:30 - Drive Club & Battlefield 4
26:00 - Dual Shock 4 controller
26:45 - Xbox One controller
27:45 - Killer Instinct
29:30 - Ryse
31:30 - Fable Anniversary
33:00 - Titanfall
37:45 - Kinect
42:30 - Wolfenstein
44:30 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
45:45 Diablo III AH is going away
48:30 PS3/PS4 updgrade program
51:15 Hiroshi Yamauchi
51:45 iOS7
54:30 Cagbag
54:30 - Best/worst food in Japan
55:45 - Monster Hunter
56:30 - Programming
57:30 - Any new games on current gen systems
58:30 - Cag iOS app status
1:01:30 - Why so tired, tiredjohn?
1:01:45 - Cag 3.0 done?
1:03:30 - Digital version issues
1:04:30 - Thanksgiving sales
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCP3moqEXL0

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear Fable Anniversary get a good mention, even if it was that the game was a little rough. That had to be the reason it got pushed to February. Personally, even though it is a last gen game, I'me still very much looking forward to this getting released. This is one of the games I'm still looking forward to coming out for the current-gen. I'm not planning on getting into next-gen for a while, so that, Batman, and LEGO Marvel are definitely on my to-get list when they come out soon.

Great episode, nice hearing from Tired John after all these years of hearing him mentioned. Look forward to next week.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I thought super programmer John made a great addition to the crew – could he become the fourth member? Assuming he can stay awake that is.[/SIZE]

Looking forward to this. After the latest audioboo I was going to suggest that super programmer John make a guest appearance.

I doubt John could be a fourth because they record in late eat time and I bet it is like 2 a.m. where John is by that time.

Also, most of the launch games for the consoles should not look better than a PC because the consoles are coming in HOT, but once developers have time to look at the systems they should get much better.

But I don't care much about graphics really. I just want great new gameplay. The game I am most excited for is Galak-Z: The Dimensional because it is being compared to Halo because it has multiple factions that can fight each other and I am a sucker for AI fighting.

Also, where is Shipwreck...

SMH at some of the stuff in this episode.

• Wombat calls Franklin from GTA...Trevor.  
  • Wombat shouldn't even had talked about GTA after playing for 2 hours(which I didnt think he actually did play 2 hours)...his impressions were nonsense
  • Wombat says TitanFall is due out June 2014 and Cheapy says "yup Spring"...wtf?
  • CheapyD not buying or playing one of the biggest games of this generation and the dude owns a video game site.  SRS?
  • Cheapy is terrible at video games...Splinter Cell was pretty easy.  I am terrible at stealth and finished with 80% ghost rating

Tired John is awesome...have him replace wombat...or at least fill in for him from time to time.

Anyway thanks for the show weekly.

Loved the intro this week. I'm listening to it again right now via the YouTube link you included. John was a great addition to the show.

As for the "next gen-ness" of the new consoles, maybe you've been playing too much on your souped up PC or maybe the old adage is true: never buy a console at launch. I'll probably wait until one of them has some actual games I want to play. The launch lineups look terrible to me.

SMH at some of the nonsense in this episode.

• Wombat shouldn't even had talked about GTA after playing for 2 hours(which I didnt think he actually did play 2 hours)...his impressions were nonsense
  • Wombat says TitanFall is due out June 2014 and Cheapy says "yup Spring"...wtf?
  • CheapyD not buying or playing one of the biggest games of this generation and the dude owns a video game site. SRS?
  • Cheapy is terrible at video games...Splinter Cell was pretty easy. I am terrible at stealth and finished with 80% ghost rating

Tired John is awesome...have him replace wombat...or at least fill in for him from time to time.

Why do you listen? are you forced to? Would you like a refund?

Cause I enjoy listening to the show regardless of my comments above. I wont like every episode...even though Tired John was awesome.

ok, ok..I take back the replacing Wombat thingy. Lets see pics of that Ford Fiesta.

Loved the intro this week. I'm listening to it again right now via the YouTube link you included. John was a great addition to the show.

As for the "next gen-ness" of the new consoles, maybe you've been playing too much on your souped up PC or maybe the old adage is true: never buy a console at launch. I'll probably wait until one of them has some actual games I want to play. The launch lineups look terrible to me.
yeah if your playing on PCs the next gen graphics will not impress but the 90% of the gaming community don't know what a GTX Titan is so they will be impressed.

About the next gen gamez...yes in a few years we will be talking about these launch games like we do every console...they sucked.

CAG #337

5:45 Show Feedback
5:45 - Vita TV
10:30 New Releases
10:30 - Grand Theft Auto 5
19:15 - Foulplay
19:30 - Wonderful 101 demo
20:15 Tokoyo Game Show
22:00 - Deep Down
24:30 - Forza 5
25:30 - Drive Club & Battlefield 4
26:00 - Dual Shock 4 controller
26:45 - Xbox One controller
27:45 - Killer Instinct
29:30 - Ryse
31:30 - Fable Anniversary
33:00 - Titanfall
37:45 - Kinect
42:30 - Wolfenstein
44:30 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
45:45 Diablo III AH is going away
48:30 PS3/PS4 updgrade program
51:15 Hiroshi Yamauchi
51:45 iOS7
54:30 Cagbag
54:30 - Best/worst food in Japan
55:45 - Monster Hunter
56:30 - Programming
57:30 - Any new games on current gen systems
58:30 - Cag iOS app status
1:01:30 - Why so tired, tiredjohn?
1:01:45 - Cag 3.0 done?
1:03:30 - Digital version issues
1:04:30 - Thanksgiving sales

Disappoint.

Hearing Forza doesn't look as good as Cheapy hoped. 

Hope it plays just as well as past Forzas.

Has anyone ever said anything negative about TItanfall? lol

Maybe I'm just an idiot or was overly tired, but I seriously thought that was Shipwreck doing a british accent the whole show. I thought wow Shipwreck isn't going to break character at all even in closing.

Woah, I didn't even know about the Fable remake. I haven't even finished TLC I picked up during the Steam Summer Sale though so a graphics update isn't enough to make me shell out another 20+ on it.

I'm glad you guys talked about GTA5, the only things I've heard about it are "everyone loves it" and "theres a gross strip club minigame". I hope next week we can get an update on the strip club and exactly how gross it is! 

Thanks for the show, guys, new listener but liking it a lot already

Not necessarily related to the episode but Wombat can now finally know the truth behind DuckTales Remastered lack of lip animations: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1msg0o/we_are_wayforward_game_developer_of_ducktales/
for the lazy

How much bigger would the budget have to been to have lips move with the dialogue?
We actually considered this at one point in our Batman game on Wii, which has had our largest amount of VO to date in a project. It depends on how you do it. If you're just talking about a single-overlay to create an 'open' mouth, then it's not necessarily a massive undertaking. Or if you limit exactly which animations can be used to 'speak.' But if you're thinking of lip animation during all animations, or a full range of mouth shapes for all the phonemes, it'll add up quick.
Short answer - it is something we've thought about before on projects, but haven't taken a stab at yet.

Interesting that they didn't have the X1 versions of big third party games like Watch Dogs and AC4.

The Japanese Garden level was from Chaos Theory, the only Splinter Cell game I played.

My wife and I got our first Legendary drops on Diablo 3 on the 360 at around level 18 and it was really exciting.  From what I've read PC players had to wait a lot longer than that to get anything good.

Lol, I was thinking the same.

I don't play a lot of multiplayer games but I am excited for titanfall. I will be getting it for PC, of course. I can't see myself spending any money on a PS4 or XBone anytime soon. The WiiU releases are what I am looking forward to the most, specifically the new donkey kong country.

Look forward to your continued GTA impressions Wombat, I get what you mean with characters forced to do things that seems against their nature.  I've found the three protagonist thing really works well with fixing this issue as instead of running chores for other people the characters do jobs for their own selfish reasons usually, which makes more sense with the characters in the game.  As a minor correction, the checkpoint system used in 5 is pretty much the same as in Ballad of Gay Tony.  For both better and worse GTAV doesn't really borrow ideas from other series, even the good ones. 

That shirt Rockstar sends is ugly.  The van keychain light is pretty nifty though.

John was good, but I like the dynamic of Cheapy/Wombat/Shipwreck. 

none of you are getting Batman Arkham Origins? It comes out October 26th and I intend to play that and GTA V up to the PS4s release

Wombat's first impressions of GTAV were about what I expected them to be. I'm not bashing him; to each his own. I personally love GTA, and I'm absolutely loving V so far, but I know I'm a fanboy and that everyone doesn't love it as much as I do. And it's not like Wombat was saying he disliked it, so yeah.

One thing, though: he was worried that GTAV wouldn't have mission checkpoints. I agree that GTAIV and its predecessors were annoying with of lack of checkpoints, but every Rockstar game since GTAIV has had checkpoints. (RDR, LA Noire, and even the second GTAIV DLC (Ballad of Gay Tony) had them. Can't speak for Max Payne 3 as I never played it, though.) So it was kind of silly to be worried that they wouldn't be in. But I guess Wombat probably hasn't played those games.

What John said about GTA 5 and how people think it's awesome right now then look back at it they will find it a not very good of a game. I couldn't agree more. I'm like 12ish hours in and nothing has blown me away personally and I feel like i was just suckered in by hype. It's not bad at all, but I wish I could enjoy it more :(. sigh.  Wanted to kiss his british face when he said that though. I was looking for a way to express how I felt about it. 

Great show as ever guys, it was awesome to have John on the show and its a shame the timezones probably don't work out for him to be on more regularly, maybe he should move to Tokoyo so Cheapy can have someone to speak English to more often ;).

Shipwreck come back!  :bow:

Wombat good purchase with the Ford Fiesta. I own 2011 Fiesta and love it. Good handling, great gas mileage, and nice styling. Btw but why is Cheapy so snobby about cars. All high and mighty cos he rents luxury vehicles and drives them on Forza!

Wombat lives in NYC has two children and a wife and an average job. So he has to get things that are reasonable and affordable. He is a smart educated buyer from what I have listened to him purchase over the years.

No need for him to get $300 remotes because Shipwreck got one.

I will never forget Cheapy's Hawaii comment and so it continues. Hmmm seems I forgot someone on the Elitist Nerds list from the Grape Jokes Cagcast.

Rant done.

SMH at some of the nonsense in this episode.

• CheapyD not buying or playing one of the biggest games of this generation and the dude owns a video game site. SRS?
  • Cheapy is terrible at video games...Splinter Cell was pretty easy. I am terrible at stealth and finished with 80% ghost rating

Most of June is still spring - summer starts with the Solstice on June 21st.

Also, that's an Amazon placeholder date. Respawn said Spring so Amazon chose a date late in spring and will update it when the release date is revealed.

Loved to hear John on the show. Please have him in future podcasts, at least as an occasional guest. He did great describing his experiences and voicing his opinions of TGS. Overall great show guys.

Great show as always, nice to finally hear from John after all these years.. Shame because of time zone differences he can't be on more often hopefully you can work something out and have him as an occasional guest.

I think the transition to the current generation have spoiled the general gaming public  I do not think you will see a big leap from how games look currently.  I think games will play differently, but look relatively the same.  I think that is the biggest hurtle for both Sony and Microsoft.  

I will say I share Wombat's unwillingness to play the bad guy.  It is one of the reasons I have never played a GTA or Saint's Row game because of that. 

This was the most depressing podcast I've ever listened to.  I know Englishmens are renouned for their sunny dispositions but fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.  Buttfuck.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited for the Xbox 1"

Dude I'm pretty certain you've got yourself wrong on that count.

I absolutely agree with Tired John's sentiments that if the CAG app can't offer benefits above the mobile site, then by all means put all your time and effort into making a kick ass mobile web site. Besides, the iOS will just be for Apple owners. The mobile web site is for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, and whatever else is out there.

If you want to have a CAG app just to have a presence there, it can be just a simple a redirect. Nothing to brag about but lots of website apps do that. Simple and cheap to do for all the platforms.

Killer Instinct pricing info from www.killerinstinctonline.net

“Killer Instinct” for Xbox One will be free to download with one free playable character available. Additional characters will be available for purchase starting at $4.99 / £3.99 / €4.99 each. 

Players can also purchase special discounted character packages:

Combo Breaker Pack –– Save 50 percent instantly by purchasing the Combo Breaker pack, which includes the first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release) for $19.99 / £16.99 / €19.99.

Ultra Edition – The Ultra Edition delivers the best value for “Killer Instinct” fans. Available for $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99, the Ultra Edition includes:

• The first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release)
  • Character Accessory Packs
  • Character Costumes
  • The Original Killer Instinct arcade game!!

Pay no attention to this guy Wombat. Criticism is one thing but being a DB for no damn reason is uncalled for. I appreciate what you do every week and look forward to the CAGcast... And for free, when you could be sleeping, playing games, or spending time with the wife/kids but instead take some time to make us laugh every week. Same goes for the comment about replacing Shipwreck. Don't understand these types of comments. Anonymity sure does make people douchey.

ANYWAY. Good show, it was nice to have John on as a guest. You guys should have him on again when it's possible. You guys did a good job of including Wombat in on the discussion too even though he wasn't there.

Pay no attention to this guy Wombat. Criticism is one thing but being a DB for no damn reason is uncalled for. I appreciate what you do every week and look forward to the CAGcast... And for free, when you could be sleeping, playing games, or spending time with the wife/kids but instead take some time to make us laugh every week. Same goes for the comment about replacing Shipwreck. Don't understand these types of comments. Anonymity sure does make people douchey.

ANYWAY. Good show, it was nice to have John on as a guest. You guys should have him on again when it's possible. You guys did a good job of including Wombat in on the discussion too even though he wasn't there.
I am honestly truly shocked he responded to my useless comments.

Great show guys!

Regarding the CAG app, it would be great to have notifications when somebody replies to a subscribed topic or you get a PM.  Even though tapatalk already does that, I'd rather use an official CAG app.  The collection would also be great!

Great show! Loved guest host John. Have you guys fixed the 4-way Skype issues? Would be neat if he came on again. Imagine if Cheapy took John and Snow to Tokyo America Club for some Foosball, the podcast would explode 1,000 episodes to 1337.

Glad Wombat was still here for special episode and I missed Shipwreck.

bread's done
Back