CAGcast #350: Sports Injury Virginity

Everyone keep in mind that the Playstation Now service is CAPABLE of steaming PS4 games.  Just nothing has been announced yet at this time.   

It's driving me crazy that Wombat is complaining about Xbox live's service. You knew what it was when you signed up for it. I agree with his complaints but we were all present when made his decision to continue to support live.

It's driving me crazy that Wombat is complaining about Xbox live's service. You knew what it was when you signed up for it. I agree with his complaints but we were all present when made his decision to continue to support live.
Exactly this! He knew how MS has acted and yet he still bought the system which in turn means he accepted that status quo, you don't get to complain Wombat. Consumers talk with their wallets and a lot of people did so by switching to the Sony platform, you accepted to stay with MS so just take the scraps they give you.

100% with Wombat on Microsoft and Xbox not offering much to their customers in terms of sales or deals. As a long time xbox only gamer I recently acquired a PS3 and PS4 and it's really opened my eyes - you get almost too much to actually play. If you were a cheapskate you could easily just live off the free games each month.

Microsoft's almost pathetic "free with gold" promotion has been laughable getting games up to six years old, when on PS+ you receive games under 12 months old. Sleeping Dogs currently free is probably the newest game in terms of release date they've offered.

My gold runs out end of January and I won't be renewing, too much to play on my sony consoles now! But yeah MS really need to have a hard think and come up with something.. Some of the deals they offer sometimes are pretty good, but doesn't happen often enough.

Well MS has shown that they try really hard not to give anything away. The Gears of War developers had to fight with MS to give maps away, and even then, MS forced them to find a sponsor. Their games are littered with micro transactions (Halo Spartan Assault is the latest offender), and they have ads on the dashboard even though you pay to get online, and they paywall services you can access elsewhere for free, and force people to get Gold subscriptions when they just want to use the OneGuide for TV listings. They've got you paying for kinect even though the camera is useless (for now, but do you really have high hopes after Ryse and Crimson dropped it, and look at Fighter Within), it's basically a glorified WiiSpeak.

I'd be pissed too.
Agreed, Microsoft is generally not known for providing value in my opinion, or if they are it only comes when are forced to by their competition. For that reason when the xbox drm debate was happening and the Microsoft insider posted that they were doing it so that they could provide steam equivalent sales I just didn't buy it.

From severely overcharging for their wireless network adapter and hard drives on the 360, to charging a fee for peer to peer with live, to keeping free services behind a pay wall with Netflix, etc,to requiring developers to charge for dlc, to microtransactions in full price games, to their latest iteration of free games with gold in comparison to ps+, they just don't focus on value to the consumer first and foremost.

They are really going to be pressed with live now to show value. In the 360 generation it was clearly superior out of the gate and once everybody and their friends was using live it didn't make sense to change to playstation network when you already had established groups of friends and games. But this generation I think they are at closer parity so the added value of ps+ is going to have a larger sway.

Why would you use playstation now to play games you've already played? I imagine it would be a scenario as "Oh I've always wanted to try that game before, but I don't want to have to hunt down a copy of the game (particularly if it is rare and expensive) and dig out the system which can play it. You just click rent and go with whatever system you want (PS3. PS4. vita, Bravia, etc.). That's pretty much how I use streaming video services "oh, they added all 3 season of Veronica Mars to amazon prime instant watch (side note, they did, it's a great show give it a try if you have Amazon prime), I've been meaning to watch that show at some point" click episode 1.

In addition to the streaming subscription, I believe they mentioned you will also be able to rent individual titles. I could also see it eventually functioning for current gen games, short term rent PS4 games from Playstation Now digitally and cut out redbox and gamefly. I would assume they would give publishers a piece of every rental to incentivize them to put them up on PN for rent.

It will likely go over better in places like Asia and Europe because, unlike the US, they have invested more heavily in their Internet infrastructure.

Playstation network used to release Import games starting a few year ago, but I guess they must have stopped because I don't remember any coming out recently, so it must not have been that successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amazon album shows Girl Talk - Night Ripper. I've listened to all his other albums and they are all incredible. Getting this one too.

Personally I don't like renting games, if I get too attached then I would be bummed that I didn't own it. I've tried lots of demos (even have my stacks of demo discs from PlayStation magazine with PS1/2 demos) and generally know what I like. If a game I was interested in got cheap enough I would pick it up so now I have a huge catalog (in the lower 4 digits) that was inexpensive. I also generally wait a year to buy most games unless I simply can't wait, so I save a lot that way too, and by then GOTYs with all the DLC are out for cheap as well. That's just me though.

I think a lot of people only buy one console per generation. I never owned an Xbox. When I bought the Xbox 360 some the most fun I had in the first  couple of years was playing KOTOR, Jade Empire and Shenmue 2. 

So I certainly see the value in some form of backwards compatibility. 

What the added value of a streaming service is compared to offering PS/PS2 emulation and select PS3 titles on the PS store? Especially when said streaming service cost 400 million to acquire, who knows how much more to facilitate and only provides extra hurdles for the consumer? I have no idea. 

Last gen a lot of people bought a Wii as a secondary console, I could see people using the PS4/XOne for big titles and a lower end Steam box for all the indies and niche titles that just don't come to consoles.

I would also like to mention that Sony is working on getting trophies into the older titles you can play on the Now service. I think some people don't realize that. Personally trophies/acheivements only give me frustration so I never pay attention to them but I realize it will make a difference to some.

I think one of the reasons why a nintendo VC subscrption sounds better than now is that you know the VC games work as they originally did. With playstation now we don't know how well it well actually work, we haven't seen a streaming service for game work great in the past. Not to mention nintendo has more consoles to choose from.

My complaint was more about the one not having the same level if service as the 360. So I my complaints are more than valid, I think.

Wombat your complaints are 100% valid. But you don't get to complain against the service; when you choose to accept the service you KNEW it offered less than the competition.

When you complain it's like a person, going to a restaraunt complaining about the menu/deals and then going back to the same restaurant (while passing a restaurant that has the menu and deals you want) and then complaining. Don't complain when you've made an informed decision. I'm in the same boat as you, I just signed up for Xbox live....I can't complain because I knew what the benefits and service limitations were when I paid for the service and I accept it.

If he's unsatisfied, he gets to complain. Accepting the status quo on a machine that can receive updates, enhancements, and whose service can evolve, is silly. Even if you know what you're buying beforehand, you expect the company to want their system to be competitive in all aspects and attract + keep as many users as possible. With all the 180s MS is doing, you'd think they'd be capable of changing a few other things too.

You can't say his complaints are valid yet he should #dealwithit. Companies are capable of listening to the customer base and making changes.

If he's unsatisfied, he gets to complain. Accepting the status quo on a machine that can receive updates, enhancements, and whose service can evolve, is silly. Even if you know what you're buying beforehand, you expect the company to want their system to be competitive in all aspects and attract + keep as many users as possible. With all the 180s MS is doing, you'd think they'd be capable of changing a few other things too.
You can't say his complaints are valid yet he should #dealwithit. Companies are capable of listening to the customer base and making changes.
That's true...it's good to let companies know that your dissatisfied. Especially when youre a loyal customer. However sometimes it's best to show them your dissatisfaction with your wallet. Those 180s people made didn't come from "complaints" they occurred when those preorder numbers came out. Wombat being a public figure would be best to trumpet the issues f the masses. I was just pulling his chain.

Lococycle definitely needs to be on sale, but don't forget Wombat: Major Nelson said that sometime in 2014 we will first hear of Games with Gold for the XBox One.

My first guess at the rate The Maw and Splosion Man (and Ms Splosion Man) were given away? Probably Lococycle.

But if you want to play first party titles/exclusives, that means either you miss out on all of that by voting with your wallet, or you buy it and complain. Which is more fun? :D

I agree voting with your wallet is excellent, but it's tough to do. In the gaming industry, community and feedback are very strong and we know companies are influenced by it (though don't always act, I agree). I guess this is just the choice Wombat made, but I wouldn't condemn him for hoping for change, that seems reasonable.

Anyway that's it for me on the issue! Wombat can speak for himself. I'm looking forward to the next show and hearing more on the response from this and the Steam box topic.

But if you want to play first party titles/exclusives, that means either you miss out on all of that by voting with your wallet, or you buy it and complain. Which is more fun? :D
Exclusives will be there for years and years it still doesn't mean you have to run out and buy the system at launch to play them immediately.

I agree with Shipwreck's take on Wombat's rant.  The deals are coming they just are coming a month after the console's release.  Microsoft has already announced there will be a free games with gold option coming.  I do not own a Playstation so I do pay attention Playstation Plus, but it looked like most of those deals were for re-releases of games that have already come out on other platforms.  Games that would probably not sell that much anyway.  Looking at the Xbox One launch lineup I only see one game, Madden, that had a significant gap between its release on another platform and its release on the Xbox One.  Everything else is a new or relatively new release.  

I think Playstation Now is interesting, but I don't really see the appeal for me so far.  I still have my console from last gen to play newish games I have not got around to playing.  It seems to me there  was a reason neither Gaikai or On Live really took off.  Putting the product on the Playstation 4 does not magically make the product better than it used to be. 

I am not a Steam guy, but the flaw of the Steam Machine seems to me is what market are they aiming for that is not already being served by the current market?  Are you a hardcore gamer who wants to fiddle with your settings why is that person not going to use a PC?  If you do not want to fiddle why would not choose a next gen console that will be cheaper and will have better software to go with it in terms of exclusves and OS. 

Because it doesn't necessarily have better software, just different software. Antichamber, Stanley Parable, FTL, Eldritch, and whatever else are not on console. You also get price competition, access to DOSBox based games, and other classic PC titles they will never bring to console. PC has some exclusives, and so do each console.

Because it doesn't necessarily have better software, just different software. Antichamber, Stanley Parable, FTL, Eldritch, and whatever else are not on console. You also get price competition, access to DOSBox based games, and other classic PC titles they will never bring to console. PC has some exclusives, and so do each console.
With both Sony and Microsoft announcing what current PC exclusive will not make its way to next gen soon? If Microsoft allows anyone to self publish then it would be even easier to get on the Xbox One than Steam for unknown developers.

I'm only interested in Playstation Now if I can play my digital or retail PS3 games on my PS4. Otherwise I have my PS3 still. I can definitely see Xbox 360 converts being interested in games like Last of Us and the Uncharteds.

Very entertaining as usual!

No surprise, Sony comes out with a new idea, and you guys torpedo it before it is even a reality.  So you guys only want to play new games, that's great, but a lot of people enjoy revisiting the classics.  I'm having a bast right now playing through Orange Box again.  Why do you think HD remakes are so popular?  We wouldn't be seeing so much hype for the Fable HD remake or Final Fantasy X if it was just an incredibly niche market.

PLus  whenever a new game comes out in a reoccurring series, it's fun to go back and play through the entire series.  I've been doing this with the God of War games and playing them all in sequential order.  I've really enjoyed the grand scope of the entire story line this way.   I do agree with Ship's concern about bandwidth.  Many major providers have data caps and charge you extra $$ if you go over the limit.

Hey Cheapy, can the three of you have a moment (albeit brief) of silence for Blockbuster Video.  Many CAGs are saddened by its closing.

Thanks!  

I cant believe all of the compliments on the opening song.  "Time to get paid.  Blow up like the World Trade".   Really?  I dont get offended by much but this caught my attention immedialty.  Offensive!

Playstation Now...do you think streaming old games is just the first step in a bigger plan?  Maybe this is the foundation for streaming all games.

Lastly...I agree with Wombat.  I passed on the PS4 and got an Xbox One and now I'm having buyers remorse.  They've already given away two, PS4 games for PS Plus members.  Not even a sale on an Xbox One game.  It seems very "money grab-ish" on Microsofts part.  We dont all have the money to drop full price on everything.  We're CAGs.

Um, that song came out way before 9/11 lol (in fact, he was dead by then... RIP B.I.G.)

He's saying world trade was getting big, a positive thing, not that the towers were blown up, a negative thing. Why would someone say they want to blow up like the WTC? That means they would want to die! He's saying he wants to make it big.

I gotta say, Notorious BIG is one of the best. He ghostwrote pretty much ALL of Bad Boy's rap albums and guest raps at the time. Lil' Kim, Puff Daddy, Faith Evans, Junior MAFIA, Ma$e, Lil' Cease, Missy Elliott... Man, he was so talented it's crazy. When he was gone practically the whole label fell off for a while. And he said he had like 5 more albums already wrote in his head ready to produce. Wish I could've heard them.

If you get a chance listen to the whole song Juicy, very inspirational, and Sky's The Limit, those give me goosebumps. Some of my all time favorites. One More Chance is great too.

"I got the cleanest meanest penis, ya never seen this stroke of genius" - always makes me laugh!

What an unfortunate coincidence then. It seems like an obvious reference to 9/11 unless your familiar with 90's rap music.

I guess, but to me "blow up" is a pretty common phrase in rap to mean becoming noteworthy, it's never really used to mean actually blowing something up, and he did say "time to get paid, blow up like the world trade" so to me he's definitely talking about making money. You almost never take rap literally, it's metaphors. Oh well I guess 9/11 is still too fresh for some people. Maybe the next generation won't think about it that way?

Question. .. can any of these next gen consoles outsell the Wii?
Wii is over 100 million so probably not. Only a slight chance if the PS4 sells at the rate It's been selling since the first day. At least both consoles will outsell the Wii U in half the time the Wii U was out.

Thanks to Wombat for keeping the cheap in cheap ass gamer. When it came down to the xb1 or ps4 I only could afford one system. Ever since the psn break in and the ps plus free games I have played my ps3 more than my xbox 360. Sony in the past couple of years has really made great strides with free games and sales. When it came to deciding on one system I couldn't imagine losing out on free monthly games and great sales. Granted I will get a xb1, just I will wait until its cheaper and has more games. I also have a vita and wii u as well. I love all videogames and systems but I want to make Microsoft work harder to get my next gen dollar.

The thing that helps Sony a lot early on with PS4 is the amount of free games and I'm not talking about PS+. There are a few free-to-play games on there (Warframe, DC Universe Online, and Blacklight Retribution), some free platforms for buying more stuff in them (Zen Pinball 2 and Pinball Arcade), and then there's all of the Cross Buy stuff that you may already have for free from a prior purchase (Flower, Flow, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball 2 tables, and Doki Doki Universe). Without spending a single dime on games, you could have access to a number of free items to play before you have to think about buying games and that's a powerful thing. On Xbox One, it's just a limited Killer Instinct free-to-play demo thing and that Kinect Sports Rivals demo thing. This is Microsoft's first generation where Cross Buy could even be a thing since they don't have a handheld system that could get cross-platform titles like the PS3/Vita has been doing for the past two years and now grows with the PS4's release, so they should seriously be considering offering those sorts of perks to give their customers to buy those games for the added value of having them on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Then you get to PlayStation Plus, which is being used as a promotional tool to get more people to try out games like Resogun, Contrast, Don't Starve, and Outlast next month without the need for further investment. Microsoft has said that they're bringing Games With Gold to Xbox One later this year, which is probably not happening until E3. I'd be surprised if they use it in a similar way since they didn't do that at all with the Xbox 360 version of the program. They've got their work cut out for them to get the value proposition working in their favor to keep people in their ecosystem and convince others to join the party.

@FriskyTanuki 

You make some good points.  

@CagCrew

Maybe it's time to have a discussion on the subject of where the 2014 Gamer can find the best deals and value in gaming?

I agree with Shipwreck's take on Wombat's rant. The deals are coming they just are coming a month after the console's release. Microsoft has already announced there will be a free games with gold option coming. I do not own a Playstation so I do pay attention Playstation Plus, but it looked like most of those deals were for re-releases of games that have already come out on other platforms. Games that would probably not sell that much anyway. Looking at the Xbox One launch lineup I only see one game, Madden, that had a significant gap between its release on another platform and its release on the Xbox One. Everything else is a new or relatively new release.

I think Playstation Now is interesting, but I don't really see the appeal for me so far. I still have my console from last gen to play newish games I have not got around to playing. It seems to me there was a reason neither Gaikai or On Live really took off. Putting the product on the Playstation 4 does not magically make the product better than it used to be.

I am not a Steam guy, but the flaw of the Steam Machine seems to me is what market are they aiming for that is not already being served by the current market? Are you a hardcore gamer who wants to fiddle with your settings why is that person not going to use a PC? If you do not want to fiddle why would not choose a next gen console that will be cheaper and will have better software to go with it in terms of exclusves and OS.
Isn't there medium where you have users who want to enjoy PC gaming, but don't want to go through the hassle and headache of building a machine or paying a fortune for a prebuilt one? I've wanted to play Starcraft 2 for years, but just couldn't afford the $1000+ price tag for a machine off of a place like IBUYPOWER. I didn't have the energy to research ever freaking part down to the power supply to find the best configuration for a self build either.

I was interested in the steam machine, but I got a great deal on a prebuilt Ibuypower PC on Newegg for $699. They did use a cheapy motherboard in the setup, but oh well. At least I can enjoy all the latest titles at high video settings.

That's pretty much why I want a steam box. As to the guy you quoted who was talking about PS Plus:

They gave out Infamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Starhawk, Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, God of War HD, Okami HD, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 3, LittleBigPlanet Karting, as PS3 exclusives from June 2012 to May 2013, but the service has been around for longer and it's hard to find a full list.

http://i.imgur.com/IEIBgjN.jpg

That's pretty much why I want a steam box. As to the guy you quoted who was talking about PS Plus:

They gave out Infamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Starhawk, Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, God of War HD, Okami HD, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 3, LittleBigPlanet Karting, as PS3 exclusives from June 2012 to May 2013, but the service has been around for longer and it's hard to find a full list.

http://i.imgur.com/IEIBgjN.jpg
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/325308-psn-weekly-deals-114-14-for-14-sale-feat-5-enslaved-9-killzone-merc-7-puppeteer-10-tales-of-xillia-many-more/#entry11394879

We have a list of every free PS+ game right here on CAG.

Everyone keep in mind that the Playstation Now service is CAPABLE of steaming PS4 games. Just nothing has been announced yet at this time.
The problem with that solution is it will require lots of bandwidth. I can't imagine getting the ISPs ok with 6 to 9 Mbps continuous traffic. Also Sony won't want to offer this anytime soon as it would hurt PS4 sales.

bread's done
Back