CAGcast #352: Nothing Like Tony Hawk

So, what I learned from the podcast is that if I like Tony Hawk, I will really like Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood. Crossing my fingers for a code.

I dunno... a skateboarding game that focuses on insanely large combos. To me, that's Tony Hawk in a nutshell. And watching OlliOlli's gameplay footage, I just think "It's Downhill Jam for the Intellivision." Once it's on PS+, I guess I'll finally figure out the difference.

And I was astounded by Cheapy's game collection! But he didn't actually play any of them not called NHL or Mass Effect, right?

Today's show almost felt educational, what with Wombat dropping mad knowledge. Also, I'd just like to say that I was so happy to hear Wombat and Shipwreck say Iron Man 3 isn't bad. I watched it again with my son the other day, and we had just as much fun as when we saw it in the theater over the summer. He's 4, mind you, but still. It actually makes more sense the second time you see it, I think.

Also, i'd LOVE a code for Max: Curse of Brotherhood. 

I would like a max code please!

Reason why I listen to this show is you guys just have so many different stories and interests asides from video games that really keeps this show remaining interesting.  Always look forward to my Cagcasts on  my drive to work

Hey guys. I would normally never try for one of those free games that you give away but my son is very sad that I traded need for speed and assassins greed black flag for NBA2K14. It would be nice to surprise him with Max. He's been asking for it. Great job guys keep it up. (Mario 4 swords) breads done!

How's Cadillac and Dinosaurs, Shipwreck? I've only played the arcade game and it's your standard Capcom beat'em up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxr7zdct4LU

I have seen the comic books and toys at a store, but never bothered to check them out.

I view that paying Youtubers to promote their items to be kind of similar to giving away elaborate swag for a video game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the Michigan J Frog bit. Absolutely perfect. And it needed this gif...

"Xbox on!"

tumblr_m20n4n9ozP1ql141xo1_500.gif

I don't have that Tony Hawk clone that Boatcrash was droning on about, so it would be sweet to get a code for Max: the Curse of Brotherhood. Love the show.

Wombat did a great job explaining the ad stuff.  MSFT has been pretty stupid with their marketing of the Xbox One, but I was having a hard time believing they would be just as stupid when it came to legal stuff.  Wombat's explanation cleared all that up.  Good job guys!

This compliment is free of charge with no strings attached, since I don't own an Xbox One and consequently don't need a Max and the Curse of Brotherhood code.

I'd love a Max code please!

That Xbox On thing happened to me too. I guess it's just Murphy's Law :/

With both being similar architecture and multi-platform dev tools being lot better than they were last gen. I think Skyrim(bethesda) level difference in game performance might not stay till late. But yes there might be permanent ps4/xbox one difference like there was between Console and PC ports because of the obvious difference.

Also, I think the day Crimson Dragon is on sale, I'd make my first Xbox One digital purchase. They need more sales :p

I would love to have Max on the X1.

Wombat, LOL about Michigan J Frog with Cheapy's X1.  

Also, nice acting during the Go Daddy plug.  Very well rehearsed.

Cheapy, have you thought about modifying your Nerf Guns to give them extra firing distance.. you'll dominate those other fools at Tokyo American Club!

I have a Nerf Maverick and there are a ton of Youtube clips showing you how to crack it open and modify it.. very simple.. just need a screwdriver and some shears basically.. cut off a little piece of plastic to modify its air suppressor. The before/after difference is pretty noticable.

Not advocated by Nerf, but you'll really be able to take out both eyes now.

Also I do not want to be entered in the contest for the game as I do not own the system.

A very, very adequate show this week!   Also, Wombat, we need you  to go off more about MS pricing and sales.   Isn't $40.00 in MS pocket via digital download greater then someone spending 50 at Gamestop for a USED copy.   I would own a lot more Xbox 1 games if they had good digital deals.  I am not a fan of discs and have been spoiled by steam over the years!

I would also like to be considered for the Copy of Max: The Curse of Brotherhood.  

Way ahead of you. I sent him a copy of Dr. Sarno's book buy I don't think he is buying into it.
He did mention the book on the recent 8-4 Play podcast, but still inquired about getting suggestions on a standing desk. You're the first person I thought of, since I know your cool with them.

Also, I ordered the Nerf Guns you recommended; youre a bad influence. I will try them out in the spring in my backyard. Less noise then shooting my pellet gun at cans.

Loved the behind-the-scenes discussion of online advertising, Wombat. It worked like I remember from college advertising classes but those were before YouTube. $3 per 1K views, and I'm assuming that's a premium over the regular rate they get. Makes you realize that unless they can regularly make million hit videos, most of those guys trying to make a living off YouTube would be better off getting a regular job.

Would like a Max code too.

Great show like always.
The machinima talk was interesting, but was a little long.
I saw that target's cartwheel app has the nerf rough cut for 20% off. Very tempting.
Really wish I had HBO so I can watch True Detective.

Put me in the drawing for the Max code.

I understand that CAG is a business for Cheapy, but I listen to the podcast to hear you guys talk games and gaming, but so much business and advertising strategies and controversies... It's interesting to you guys because it's your livelihood. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would bet most of the listeners would prefer not to have 20 min of talk about ads.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the few minutes to discussion about the nerf guns and SegaCD and what not... It's what differentiates the cagcast from other gaming podcasts... Just keep it at a minimum :)

Great show though...

I would like Max curse of the brotherhood because just like Wombat, I need a new Xbox One game.  

I really enjoyed Wombat discussion about Microsoft and Machinima.  Keep up the great work guys.

I loved the discussion about Maximina and Microsoft advertising story. I think you guys normally standout when you talk about the industry.  So many podcast either don't know enough to talk about it intelligently or want to run away from anything that isn't games games games talk. 

The reason I did not pick up Powerstar Golf is I am pretty sure when they expand the Games with Gold to the One Powerstar will be one of those games. 

You can stream from the Xbox One using a capture setup aka the old fashion way. 

And I would like to be entered into the contest. 

Wombat, I am the one who sent CheapyD  the code for Powerstar Golf.   It was a thank-you gift for all the money he has saved me over the years.  That said,  I believe I left a note saying something like  "Here you go, if you know you aren't going to play it more than once, pass it on to shipwreck, wombat, or use it as a prize in your charity auction"     Ouch Cheapy.......  You should passed it on if you don't like Golf!   Also,  To bad we don't have the old DRM or Cheapy could gift it or share it with Shipwreck and you all could play.,

Would love to be considered for Max: Curse of Brotherhood. 

Great show guys!

I would love a code for Max: Curse of Brotherhood, as I am coming dangerously close to having nothing to play on my XB1.

Wombat, you're absolutely right that Powerstar Golf needs a demo.  I bought it on launch day for the system because like you, I loved Hot Shots Golf, but it was still a leap of faith without the demo.  Turns out I enjoyed the game a lot and am fine with paying full price for it, but if it came out a year into the XB1's life, and I had plenty of other games to play, I may not have taken the chance without a demo.

Great show, as always!

I would love a code for Max: Curse of Brotherhood, as I am coming dangerously close to having nothing to play on my XB1.

Wombat, you're absolutely right that Powerstar Golf needs a demo. I bought it on launch day for the system because like you, I loved Hot Shots Golf, but it was still a leap of faith without the demo. Turns out I enjoyed the game a lot and am fine with paying full price for it, but if it came out a year into the XB1's life, and I had plenty of other games to play, I may not have taken the chance without a demo.

Great show, as always!
Have you played lately? They patched it and made Rivals mode way better and worth playing. You can make big Coin doing that.

I don't get why Cheapy says that he can't see these differences persisting through the generation. Look at the PS4 hardware, it is noticeably more powerful than the Xbox One hardware. And unlike last gen, the two consoles are very similar in design, so it doesnt' seem likely devs will find a lot of tricks on Xbox One that they can't use to improve performance on PS4 too.

First party titles are a bit different, they will spend more time optimizing for one platform than cross platform devs will spend on either (or both).

But if a game is available on both platforms there isn't a lot of reason the PS4 versions won't continue to have higher fidelity than the Xbox One ones.

And I don't see the Xbox One starting to suffer from bad ports. The platforms are similar enough that the versions will likely continue to be similar, you'll just see lower spatial resolution or frame rate (temporal resolution) on Xbox One.

Good one about the Michigan J. Frog thing, Wombat. Xbox 360 Kinect had problems with the environment spoiling demos too, it looks like Xbox One hasn't escaped this problem either.

Please don't enter me in the contest. I don't have an Xbox One.

EDIT: And for the love of god, will podcast people stop saying Xbox voice commands during podcasts. I had Brad Shoemaker turn off my system while I was leading a race in Forza the other day and Cheapy just knocked me out of 2nd place in an online race during this show.
Xbox needs to have a user customizable safety word that can replace "Xbox" to start voice entry. "BANANAS turn off"

I understand that CAG is a business for Cheapy, but I listen to the podcast to hear you guys talk games and gaming, but so much business and advertising strategies and controversies... It's interesting to you guys because it's your livelihood. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would bet most of the listeners would prefer not to have 20 min of talk about ads.
I found it interesting. Especially since pretty much everyplace else was quick to misinterpret the Machinima/MS situation.

I always enjoy the marketing discussions on the CAGcast; it's refreshing to know that Wombat does make contributions outside of BS Quarterly. ;)

"I always assume the public will find out." - CheapyD

I guess that explains why I know so much about Cheapy's bathroom struggles and that he enjoyed a Tila Tequla film for about 3 minutes. 

I'm interested in the max code.

EDIT: Oh yeah, anyone interested in Nerf guns should check out flea markets and yard sales.

Also, to add a tiny bit more, I don't have any problem with the PS4 video streaming. It's 720p (not sure why Cheapy didn't know that) and the quality is good but not great. Frankly, any quality (bitrate) problem is likely due to the streaming provider (Twitch, etc.) or your internet connection, because the same video hardware is used to encode video for remote play on VITA (or PS TV) as is used for streaming, and remote play looks good.

I wish you talk a little more about PowerStar Golf cause I need something new to play on my Xbox One.

Add me to the list of Max giveaway.

Hearing about "anal squirting" on the heels of Christian and Stewart discussing "pork-bung-calimari" on the UnOp pdocast has me rethinking my podcast lisenting choices, my dietary habits, and my life in general.

Help me refocus with a copy of Max?

I would love a code for the free game.  

You want to make sure I listen to the show?  I drove by a recently abandoned Blockbuster location and wondered "Is Shipwreck going to buy this building and put it in his basement?"

Oh, in reference to the MS drama nonsense.  You know if was Sony doing this promotion the internet wouldn't be a buzz with this bullshit.  Instead you'd see the forums lighting up with 'Look, Sony loves us SO much they're offering me money to make videos for Playstation.  Microsoft would never do that, they're too greedy!'  Ugh.  The internet is a miserable place for Xbox fans.

As I'm eating a McDonald's hamburger in my car, I hear Wombat say "anal-squirting."  Great show as always, guys.

Cheapy, Wombat, Boatcrash, lemme ask you this:

When it comes to the xbox one being "underpowered" this generation and all that jazz, do you think it's possible for MS to enable more features to be the cloud-based system it originally was intended?

What I'm trying to find out (since I love tech but am bad at knowing how things can work) is why CAN'T they turn on the cloud features again? There needs to be an offline mode for those who simply don't want or can't be online but why not add benefit to an xbox gold membership and take advantage of the cloud capabilities?

From what I can remember wasn't the xbox one going to be more powerful because of the cloud? Like, giving us higher resolutions and expanded power? I speak out of ignorance because I chose not to tempt myself with the new stuff because I cannot afford a new xbox or ps4 right now but try to enlighten me please. Why can't MS have the cloud vision AND an offline mode? 

PS: Let me know if this makes no sense and need to rewrite this. I'm kind of dealing with a thousand things at once right now lol

The ad buy talk was surprisingly engaging and interesting. It's great to hear you guys talk about something you know a lot about, rather than just talking out of your asses like usual, although that's part of why I listen in the first place.

As an Xbox One owner, I really, really hope Shipwreck is wrong about it being perpetually underpowered. But man, I am starting to grow very worried.

I would like a code for Max : The Curse of Brotherhood.

Hopefully win a code for Max: Curse of the Brotherhood

I hear it plays a lot like Tony Hawk

Love the inside baseball analysis of the Microsoft/Machinima story.  Great to hear from someone who works in the advertising industry lead an educated discussion.

From what I can remember wasn't the xbox one going to be more powerful because of the cloud? Like, giving us higher resolutions and expanded power? I speak out of ignorance because I chose not to tempt myself with the new stuff because I cannot afford a new xbox or ps4 right now but try to enlighten me please. Why can't MS have the cloud vision AND an offline mode?
Short answer: Distributed networks are not easy. It's easy for a lot of companies to promise cloud capabilities. In reality, having a lot of devices piggy-back off of a server farm is much easier said than done.

Short answer: Distributed networks are not easy. It's easy for a lot of companies to promise cloud capabilities. In reality, having a lot of devices piggy-back off of a server farm is much easier said than done.
But considering the many issues that are being brought up so early in its life, is it something that could realistically level the playing field? If it works, of course.

Or is there more power that could be tapped in another way? I dislike the idea of a BRAND NEW console already feeling like it's struggling to keep up.

I have no problem with people getting paid for positive advertising.

That said, the one thing I do take offense to is when they talk shit about something that I think is good while also talking up something that is not so great to try and dissuade people who will only buy one or the other when you can tell they fully know what they're doing. If it's just an opinion thing then whatever.

But I dont care at all about youtubers getting paid. Right on. Get whatever you can  out of them. Nothing anyone says about xbone is going to convince me to buy a sub-1080p media center.

I'm really surprised that Xbone still hasn't announced any exclusive games. The only thing that comes to mind is how they bought the gears of war franchise but i never wanted to play any of those anyways. So they pretty much have gears and halo but thats it. Titanfall you can just play on pc. I still stand behind the idea that the software sells the hardware and we will see that with the WiiU this year if I am correct.

Great show. I always find them entertaining. Thanks for the recommendation on True Detective.

Please put me in for the copy of Max: The Curse of Brotherhood.   

Great show guys....it actually sounded like Wombat knew what he was talking about for once....jk

Would love to be entered for the Max code :)

The phone call story made me imagine Iwata calling CheapyD out of the blue and greeting him with "Please Understand."  I giggled like an idiot for ten seconds.

Wombat,

Shipwreck is being a hater cos he still hasn't reached puberty and can't grow a beard.

Fur does look good on you. What did your kids think the first time they saw Daddy transform into Wombat?

Tried to get my wife to buy some 10 need guns off amazon today and she said she's rather paintball :(

I would love to win the game code

I'm really surprised that Xbone still hasn't announced any exclusive games. The only thing that comes to mind is how they bought the gears of war franchise but i never wanted to play any of those anyways. So they pretty much have gears and halo but thats it. Titanfall you can just play on pc. I still stand behind the idea that the software sells the hardware and we will see that with the WiiU this year if I am correct.
Xbox One has announced/has several exclusive games so I don't understand your point. Maybe you mean no exclusives that interest you?

Halo, Gears, Quantum Break, Kinect Sports, D4, Sunset Overdrive are all upcoming off the top of my head.

The WiiU is beyond saving.

thanks guys, i just began listening to the cagcast and now its a permanent fixture of my podcast subscriptions :)

i died when i heard cheapy's comment that people take their shits at work so that they get paid to.

Throwing my hat in for the Max code.

I really enjoyed the conversation about Machinima and Wombat's insight on how it works.  It was crazy how things spiraled out of control and people just wanted to slam Microsoft.  Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

bread's done
Back