CAGcast #354: Monkey Xbox Ninja Andy Serkis

The farther removed we get from the NES/SNES/N64 era the less relevant Nintendo becomes, the newer generation coming up does not have that nostalgic connection to Nintendo's cast of characters.

Those that do have the connection to the characters can easily get their fix on a DS console and there is a library of quality 3rd party games to boot....
Except the DS outsold the NES/SNES/N64 combined. The Wii sold 1.5-3x what any one of those consoles sold. Plenty of kids this past console generation grew up with Nintendo. And as the numbers show arguably way more did than in the NES era.

Wombat has some legit concerns.  But I think he's only played the small console online games where if 1 player leaves it sort of ruins the game for everyone else.

HE needs to play Battlefield 4 on the pc with 32-64 players.   There are no lobbies.  YOu load right into an ongoing match.  Matches are 20-40 minutes long in general, but you can drop in and drop out without affecting the ongoing battle.    If you need just a 2 minute break you can just hide in a corner, leave your guy where he is or just not spawn in the next time you die.  Then do your thing and come back and continue on.   Since there are a large number of players the matches aren't too affected by the comings and goings of a small number of players.  The battle rages on.   If the match is lasting longer you can leave and you won't ruin the match for anyone.  Have your fun and drop out when you need to go.  There are always new players waiting to get onto servers.

There is no commitment.   You don't forget where you were last time or what quest you were on or what this or that is.  And you get human AI and you might find some players worth talking to while you are playing.

Not sure how many players Titanfall has.  I think it's much less.  

I wouldn't want to make a single player mode just to put in a single player mode.  They do that in BF and its a waste of resources.  Really they should sell the 2 separately especially in this day and age of digital downloads.  I don't know why I had to pay for the single player game when I have never touched that mode in a BF game and when I bought the game digitally as there is no reason to buy the disc for the pc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little surprised you guys didn't mention that Metro Last Light was free for PS+ right now since you all enjoyed it.  PS+ continues to bring the newish games.

Also, I never really thought about it before, but I think you guys are spot-on about Nintendo just coming out with a console that's comparable in architecture and power to what Sony and Microsoft have.  If the third-party games are no longer a differentiator, then Nintendo would be sitting pretty since their exclusives are in general much more popular and more established (Zelda, Mario, etc) than MS or Sony exclusives.  

Maybe next generation they can do that, if they can wait (probably already too late this gen since I assume it would take a couple or three years to come out with a new console and this leapfrog timing thing they're doing where theirs comes out first with less power isn't working too well...)

Long time listener, first time poster... I just I'd toss this in, as I see no one else has mentioned it yet, but one thing you can do at 35 that you cannot at 34, is be elected President of the United States. I dunno if you have any political aspirations, but there's that.

Happy Birthday, Ship.
That's funny I thought the same thing, and then when you are 36 like me you can get depressed that you are not going to be president! LOL :)

At this point the Wii U is going the way of the UDraw. Instead of inticing devs with monetary incentives(they can afford it)to make games for their system they curl up in a ball and hope everything will be okay. No new focus on the Wii U tablet is not gonna change that. Games are what bring gamers out to the yard and they're like Xbox One,PC, PS4 is better than what Nintendo has to offer.

Would like some Jazz Punk.

A tale of Two Sons was okay. The game play was a bit repetitive and no real effort went into the puzzles.Just get from point A to point B standard issue platformer.The only good thing going for it was atsmosphere.Atsmosphere alone kept me playing until the end.They really set up fantastic world.

What is Nintendo doing with this whole quality of life thing?  I don't know if a Gamecube 2 is the answer though.  As much as I would like to see one, it will be very difficult for them to capture the market share from Sony and Microsoft.  

Put me down for a Jazzpunk code please.

Gotta say that Wombat maybe right about Titanfall, my brother and a few friends that I know who only play COD, Sports, and BF have no interest in playing Titanfall and that's if they even heard about it.  That's not even taking the consideration that most have or will buy a PS4 as opposed to an X1 and none have a PC capable of running the game.   I would love to play it but its just not a system seller to me, especially since Zampella made it sound that Titanfall 2 will be coming to the PS4.

Gotta say that Wombat maybe right about Titanfall, my brother and a few friends that I know who only play COD, Sports, and BF have no interest in playing Titanfall and that's if they even heard about it. That's not even taking the consideration that most have or will buy a PS4 as opposed to an X1 and none have a PC capable of running the game. I would love to play it but its just not a system seller to me, especially since Zampella made it sound that Titanfall 2 will be coming to the PS4.
well nobody knew they were going to love and play 100's of hours of COD4 before it was released. Everyone just relax...Titanfall looks fun and that's all that matters. Where it will be in 6 months...who knows.

Show has been good the last few weeks. Titanfall is definitely going to be interesting and I'm curious if Wombat's conjectures pan out. His commentary seems on point recently. As a member of the 30+ demographic, I'm looking forward to picking it up and hopefully it'll last me more than a few weeks. 

About the New 52, the way Cheapy described the characters is how they are in the comics. The characters are all younger now and still learning to be heroes. Batman is kind of the stick in the mud hero, his parents died or something apparently.  

Cheapy should really check out Fables, the comic series The Wolf Among Us is based on. Its good stuff. 

And please put me down for Jazzpunk. That game looks some kind of crazy.

Here the best method I've seen to beat Flappy Bird.
I've never played it, but that was great.

I'll get Wolf Among us when the season is finished since they have been releasing the episodes rather slowly and it's only going to get worse I imagine since they keep announcing more properties they are adapting.
Dude, grab it. It's great. I'm glad Cheapy really talked it up or I probably would have skipped it. And sometimes a break between segments is nice. Wanting to find out what happens next can really build up anticipation for the next release. It's tough to sustain it in games, but by making it a mystery, I think they can pull it off.

well nobody knew they were going to love and play 100's of hours of COD4 before it was released. Everyone just relax...Titanfall looks fun and that's all that matters. Where it will be in 6 months...who knows.
Here's the thing, during that time COD4 brought a change from the stale WWII period that was prevalent at the time, modern warfare is still strong and mechs aren't every popular. EA shot Respawn in the foot by making the first game exclusive to the X1, especially since there are more PS4's and it's doubtful Titanfall is going to change that situation.

Looking online at peoples post's shows that there a quite a few touting this game is overhyped or that it won't hold their interest for very long. That's not to say the game will bomb, but Wombat stated that after the initial hype things would taper off.

Doesn't this apply to almost every game??? With an exception of a handful of games.
The point is that Titanfall, by being a multiplayer-only game, is aiming to be a CoD-like game that stays in popularity until the next one comes out. It's trying to be one of those handful of games. Wombat thinks it won't be, and I don't think it will make it either, personally.

Another great CAGCast.  I can't wait for the next one.

Cheapy, if you run out of better games to play, try playing Knack couch co-op with Tai.  It's not great, but he may like it.  It's worth a rental.

I went ahead and tried Titanfall even though I'm not a COD type player and the tutorial was very entertaining. It made me want more of it in a single-player setting, especially in exiting the mech in order to hack the computer. However, the multiplayer is what it's about and although it was entertaining for a little bit, it just isn't for me.

Wombat, just like you there are many players that already know this isn't for them and even though we play COD for campaign only. It's not something we buy and yet these games are extremely popular and will continue to be in the future. We may not purchase them or talk about them after launch but there will be a lot of other people who will continue to feed into this until something else comes along.

Happy Belated B-day Ship and great show!

Extremely entertaining but Ship needs more sleep so he can stomach Wombat's rants a little more. I really enjoyed Hearthstone too Cheapy! How much money have you put into it???

Shipwreck, please talk about Skylanders more. It has been a while since you've talked about it. Are you still into that game? The wife and I just bought Disney Infinity which I feel may be a gateway to Skylanders.

As always, I love your show. I haven't posted in a while - probably since I asked you about feeling guilty about using my late brother's PS3 (which,by the way, DIED). I was diagnosed with the same thing. I listen to you guys talk over and over and it helps the hard times. Keep it up.

So the More I played Titanfall the more I liked it.  I am in the same camp as Wombat as well.  I dont have time to play these types of games but I thought the games were short enough and easy enough to feel like you aren't constantly dying.  Maybe the hardcore COD crowd wont stick with it  if the challenge isnt there.

stop eating mcdonalds.

at least you aren't eating hot pockets with the diseased meat i guess. so you've got that going for you. 

im looking forward to isaac: rebirth being free on ps plus

FYI you guys will be happy to know that now if you search "Monkey Xbox Ninja Andy Serkis" your podcast has the entire front page of results on various sites, except one entry for Enslaved (which is down at #8 or so).

bread's done
Back