CAGcast #380: Rhode Trip

Cheapy had just recently moved to Japan when I started listening. So this will be a new thing to me.

I have a recent Cadillac, Cheapy. I recommend them. I had an Audi before and it's as good a car as that, it's also been more reliable than my Audi was. I have a CTS, the previous model which was kind of a tweener size, the new one is 5-series sized. If you get a used CTS, I would recommend not going back past 2009. There was a problem with the V6 engines back before then with a change in the cam gear pitch to make it quiter and it went very poorly. After they changed the pitch back the V6 engine has been great. I just wish the Bluetooth integration were a little better (streaming audio), but in 2009 (MY2010) that's just how it was for most cars.

The new CTS is even better, the ATS is very good too. I feel like the SRX is long in the tooth now, although it was dynamite at the time it came out (the 2nd gen).

You might be thinking of a new phone. Know that the US market for cell service has completely changed since you left. Subsidized prices and 2 year contracts are out (although they still exist they are not a good idea) and family plans (shared data) with payment plans for phones is in. In short, it's a lot more like Japan's system now, although you cannot change carriers without paying your phone off unless you are going to give it back. This is unlike Japan where you can keep your phone and continue the payment plan while moving to a new carrier. Unlocked phones are easier to come by now that subsidies are gone, so you can just wait until you get to the US and buy your phone here if you would like. You'll still get an unlocked one you can use abroad. It'll either be unlocked when you get it or unlocked after 30 or 60 days upon request, depending on what phone, what carrier and where you buy it.

Anyway, hope you find NYC to your liking again.

I don't own an Xbox One, so no need to enter me into the drawing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick little tip Wombat & CheapyD about Destiny's load times:

When you level up your weapons or find new gear and you're done with a level, don't inspect your items in the mission or in the tower: save them for the loading screens. While you're loading to fly to a planet/PVP/Tower you can hit "start" and view your equiptment, stats, friends etc. The time you take leveling up your items or breakind down gear or whatever will last as long as a load more or less.  Cuts the downtime a lot.

Oh and Cheapy glad to year your moving back to NYC. Sounds like you've been eager to come home for a long time and it's good to hear you're coming home.

In most loot games, you always have the issue of people duping / hacking items.

I would not be surprised if the reason you usually have to go to the Citadel Tower, is to lock down the transactions that can generate rare (i.e., useful) loot and thus keep control over the games "loot economy".

The Tower stuff is probably all server-side so doing it there means they can cheat a bit with using the client side to do things in the main "story" world (aka its co-op and not competitive since loot is instanced to each user to prevent loot stealing).

I have to agree with Shipwreck on Destiny.  Wombat's "merge all problems into the 'lackluster story' umbrella" so that they can all be patchable was silly.

I agree with the problem on the load time on Destiny. I played Destiny for a few hours and am sick of seeing the ship already. If the load time were gone I would have a ton more fun. The bullet sponge thing does suck, but a lot of games have that problem - though I am not far in the game so maybe it will get a lot worse. I wish this were more solo player oriented... I don't usually have a lot of time to play AND none of my friends have the game, so trying to coordinate with somebody is next to impossible for me.

I would like to have a chance at the Xbox One code. I have Destiny and Forza and just bought my Xbox One - help me out guys, kind of regretting the decision to buy the Xbox One without anything to play.

Unless I am misunderstand the question, I don't think you got the correct interpretation of  "will Mojang be the next Rare?" I think what they meant was regarding POST-Microsoft buy of Rare, not Pre-. As in like Rare, will Microsoft take a promising studio (Mojang) and after purchasing the company, saddle them with a development work load of crap titles.

Unless I am misunderstand the question, I don't think you got the correct interpretation of "will Mojang be the next Rare?" I think what they meant was regarding POST-Microsoft buy of Rare, not Pre-. As in like Rare, will Microsoft take a promising studio (Mojang) and after purchasing the company, saddle them with a development work load of crap titles.
That may be a more appropriate interpretation of the question, but the CAGcast's point was that RARE was a diverse game dev with a slew of amazing titles and the M$ took them and sucked all the life out of them. Mojang only has one game that anyone cares about (yeah they have those other two titles but who cares) and is already successfully established. M$ will probably just have them maintain that cash cow rather than saddle them with anything. TL;DR we knew RARE's ability and M$ killed it, Mojang only has one game so no one knows what they "could have" been.

Once you reach level 20 and the light levels, loot changes how well you do in the game. Here's the breakdown on that.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2h9t6b/this_is_how_light_levels_affect_your_gameplay_and/

That's the thing about MMO type of games, it's about the end game.

The loot doesn't change how well you do in the game any more than just the type of gun itself, as it's the upgrades you get with each level that changes the way you play the game.

D4 has nothing to do with previous "D" games. Just a coincidental title by Swery.
I bought it thinking it was part of the D series, and I absolutely hate it. Now that damned tile sits on my desktop mocking me for wasting $15 :(. Btw, I cannot imagine an American title being released in this day and age with the offensive homosexual stereotypes like D4 has.

Sunset Overdrive: I thought it was funny how everything that was pointed out as a negative in this episode is exactly what makes me want it. It's probably my most anticipated title.

Really happy to hear Cheapy D is coming back to America. Does this mean future CAG meetups in NYC?  :D/

Great show guys.

I loved the Mask music outro.  It totally brought back some memories.  I listened to it a few times :)

Congrats on the weight loss Cheapy.  Just don't do what I did and gain it all back in a few years.

bread's done
Back