CAGcast #385: Get Ben-t

So amiibos are amigos. I just don't see what the point is if they're only there to fight alongside you.

I didn't really know anything about GCU either, but then again, I don't buy any new release games. I just picked it up though and I'm sure I'll get my money back pretty quickly.

It's hard to choose just one game but I'll go with Mario RPG.

My favorite retro game is Blaster Master or Faxanadu. I wish for a side scrolling faxanadu sequel all the time.

My favorite retro game is Chrono Trigger. Timeless RPG, right there. 

Anyway, great show! Ben definitely filled in admirably. Though once again, the CAGcast guarantee of a belch per podcast isn't being fulfilled. Cheapy will have some catching up to do when he gets back.

It was fun show, my favorite part was when Wombat put a end to the never ending BestBuy club thing.
My Favorite game was Neutopia II for the Turbographix 16, since dumbasses like us did not have decent Zelda access.

Wombat you actually made me want to check out that magazine. I think my favorite retro game was Sim City on the Commodore 64. Look at this majestic screenshot.

The Best Buy thing does sound like a good deal, but I can't even justify buying one of the new consoles yet. I fell into the Dota 2 hole, and everything else seems like a baby game for babies. 

Wombat...I hate to do this...it's a "forward slash" not a "backslash".

Great show though. Picking up the SSOD XBO bundle and the GCU deal at BBY.

Bonk's Adventure for Turbografx-16 is one of my favorite retro titles, for whatever reason. Great to see a more topical sponsor than godaddy.

Good show. Liked the addition of Ben, but there was a little more talking over one another this episode than usual. An enjoyable experience regardless.

Favorite retro game is Chrono Trigger. Although thinking of it as retro makes me feel quite old. 

I listened to roughly half of the show so far and I liked what I heard. I really think the CAGCast should have more guests and always kind of wondered why they haven't. Either way, great show. Glad to hear Cheapy will be back next week too!

Oh, and my favorite retro game... I want to say Tetris but since the NES version is no longer my favorite version of it (please don't hurt me, the music is still great though), I will have go with Mario 3. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to have a third talking head on the show. Favorite retro game is Aladdin on the SNES, think I've beaten it a dozen times

Sometimes, I miss the glory days of EGM and Gamepro being my only source for video game news.  I'd love to check out the new mag.

Favorite retro game is Uncharted Waters (by Koei) for the NES.  Play it...so good!

I'd love a change for Retro Mag Subscription. 

I always seem to go back to Super Mario World on a yearly basis to play cause it holds fond memories from my childhood. 

I had the same issue with my PS4 not coming out of standby after updating to the v2.0 firmware. After pulling the plug like Wombat did a few times I finally decided to figure out what was going on. I tried all the hold power button, hold controller button, etc. solutions but nothing helped. What finally fixed it for me was ... and this sounds stupid ... re-verifying my PSN e-mail address. Apparently it gets hung up at some point when going into standby because it seems like a lot of people had their e-mail address unverified by this patch.

Here is the fix; hopefully this will work for you if the other solutions haven't...

1) Go to Settings

2) Go to PSN

3) Go to Account Information

4) Next to Sign-In ID (Email Address) mine said Unverified

5) press on the above and the PS4 will verify your email address by sending you an email - verify it as per the email instructions

6) Press on Already Verified on the PS4 (I think that's what the next prompt said!)
Source: Giantbomb Forums

Also, favorite retro game? Probably Herzog Zwei for Sega Genesis.

I would love a Retro Gamer subscription! My favorite retro game isn't too retro, I love Killer Instinct from 1994. It was am amazing arcade game for its time and still holds up today if you ask me. I love the game so much I started a fan site for it in 2006 thats still going strong with the release of the new one for Xbox One.  I basically love almost all 90's arcades, I grew up with a really great massive arcade that was less than a mile from my house. Needless to say I spent thousands in allowance at that location over a decade. We loved nothing more than getting on our bikes, hitting McDonalds on the way and blow $10 at the arcade. I wish they still existed, luckily some great guys in my area have a small arcade with some classics in it.

My favorite retro game is Contra on NES. It's the game I've beaten the most times and I always love going back to play it.

Based on some info at a few other places, I set my Power saving settings to keep the USB ports on ALWAYS (the default is 3 hours). After setting it to always, it rested all night and came right back on this morning. I did this before I ever attempted to enter Rest Mode, so I'm not sure if I would have had the problem or not, but it might help. I can't believe Sony hasn't patched it or at least pulled the v2.00 update down temporarily. EDIT: Nope, that did it for a few days, but tonight I got the Rest Mode of Doom. Ironic since they just released v2.01 today to fix the problem.

My favorite retro game (if it can be considered retro) is Ocarina of Time or maybe Mario 64. Both awesome.

Good episode. I miss Cheapy, but Ben was a welcome addition.

As far as the retro magazine, my favorite retro game is Super Mario Bros 3! I still remember buying it after my sixth birthday in 1992. We spent countless hours playing that game!

I love a lot of the retro games mentioned but also really like some old school Command & Conquer.

Great show as always! My favorite retro game (and favorite game of all time) is Chrono Trigger! I love the new sponsor as well as Scott Johnson is also amazing.

I really ended up liking Sunset Overdrive a lot, took some of the anger of having to buy an Xbox One just to play it.  The music is fun to listen to and the colors used will help now that winter is coming and the sunsets around 5 p.m. which is why I HATE standard time.

I think we've come far enough that i can call out Toe Jam & Earl 2 as the best retro game.  I wanted to go Smash bro's because we still play this game every week but it may not be quite old enough yet

Finally listened on my way back from voting. So, here's another vote. Street Fighter 2 turbo(SNES) still settles arguments to this day between my group of friends.

I haven't experienced any problems with the Rest Mode on PS4 firmware 2.0, but my system did freeze when I navigating the menu after playing the new Call of Duty. Don't know if it's related, but it restarted just fine afterwards.

In regards to retro games, I don't really have a favourite as such. The one that sticks out in my mind would be Sonic 2 for the Master System since that's the one I fully completed. Even if I don't win, I'm still planning on getting a subscription and the year 1 issues as well.

Are Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II considered retro? Let me just go with a lock and say Galaga.

Great show. GCU deal is frontrunner for deal of the year in my book right now.

Nice to have some real Nintendo talk on CAG, but I miss Cheapy's way of keeping things moving. I have a lot of favourite retro games, but since Ive purchases Super Mario 3 on 5 different systems, Ill go with that.

I don't see how it would be worth it for those of us without a store nearby.
Pretty sure it applies to online purchases as well. 20% off all new game purchases for a year at Best Buy for me is an insane deal, but I also live near one and frequently buy games there. I'd say this is easily the forerunner for best deal of the year on CAG though.

Thanks Shipwreck for the Best Buy AND Fantasy Life info. Both purchased within 30 mins of hearing the details! Woo!  Retro game is Alex Kidd in Miracle World.  Thanks Wombat for random mentions of Alex Kidd in past casts.

Favorite retro game is Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the Sega Master System. Just holds a special place for me since it's one of the first games i've played and I still have vivid memories of it.

Been needing a good reason to buy Bayonetta 2, so I sold some stuff (At a different store), went to Best Buy & signed up for Gamer Club.
Also picked up a Pro Controller because after playing the demo, I'm with Ship get a Pro. When it comes out, I'm gonna get the Smash Bros. Controller Bundle from Best Buy so it's $80 instead of $100, thanks for the tip Shipwreck.

Wombat, regarding your opinion of Spelunky; I gotta agree with Jeff Cannata on a recent episode of the /filmcast (ep. 291) when he said he often bristles at the criticism when someone says they didn't like something because they fell asleep. That has more to do with your state or sleep pattern than the film you're watching (or in this case game you're playing), and is not really a valid criticism.

Wombat, regarding your opinion of Spelunky; I gotta agree with Jeff Cannata on a recent episode of the /filmcast (ep. 291) when he said he often bristles at the criticism when someone says they didn't like something because they fell asleep. That has more to do with your state or sleep pattern than the film you're watching (or in this case game you're playing), and is not really a valid criticism.
I can't say I agree with that, but I don't know that guy's full argument. I could see falling asleep even during a movie you enjoy, so that can make sense. But a game is something you have to actively engage in; you are controlling it. Falling asleep during that does speak to something about your enjoyment of the game. I also agree with Wombat in that I don't like Spelunky either; just not my type of game in the slightest.

bread's done
Back