CAGcast #386: Call of Doody: Advanced Podcasting

Why would I stop doing something I enjoy? I'll pick up Bayonetta 2 & Sonic Boom when they are heavily discounted. Based upon what I played of Sonic Boom at E3, it is not going to be a good game on the WiiU. The 3DS version of Sonic Boom seemed good. I didn't want to play Watch Dogs on PS4 or XB1, so I'm not sure why I would want to play it on WiiU. Quite a bit of the eShop indie stuff is stuff I've already played on PC.
Fair enough. I therefore nominate Wombat for picking up a Wii U and a bunch of games for the team. But then again Cheapy did have to buy him a PS3, so chances are slim.

Fair enough. I therefore nominate Wombat for picking up a Wii U and a bunch of games for the team. But then again Cheapy did have to buy him a PS3, so chances are slim.
Since you are so big on making other people's purchasing decisions, you should offer to pay for it as well.

Since you are so big on making other people's purchasing decisions, you should offer to pay for it as well.
With all the revenue from the magazine sign ups the cost of a Wii U bundle is 'chump change'. Wii U bundle $300 at Best Buy minus a mover's coupon = $270 plus tax. 540 Best Buy points so he'll get a cool, crisp $5 certificate. I want to hear Wombat's views on Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros, Windwaker HD, and great eShop games like The Letter. If you pretend no other systems exist, the Wii U is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Or get a refurb Wii U without the GamePad for $120 on eBay, then get a GamePad or Pro Controller separate.

CagCast 387: Wombat Takes One For The Team

With all the revenue from the magazine sign ups the cost of a Wii U bundle is 'chump change'. Wii U bundle $300 at Best Buy minus a mover's coupon = $270 plus tax. 540 Best Buy points so he'll get a cool, crisp $5 certificate. I want to hear Wombat's views on Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros, Windwaker HD, and great eShop games like The Letter. If you pretend no other systems exist, the Wii U is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Or get a refurb Wii U without the GamePad for $120 on eBay, then get a GamePad or Pro Controller separate.

CagCast 387: Wombat Takes One For The Team
Still too much.

Gun to my head, I'd frantically guess that the reason Internet Arcade is getting away with it is that the rights holders are banking on... I don't know, the discerning Galaga fan ponying up for a proper compilation instead of jerry-rigging gamepad controls into an interface that doesn't compare scores with your friends or spit out achievements.

Can't say I'd be looking forward to that theoretical bullet.  Anyway, it's great to have Cheapy back.  So damn great.  (Nothing personal, I'm still a Wombat man and all.)  I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring for that Retro subscription.

I am very excited to play Majora's Mask 3DS. I played the original fourteen years ago and I haven't touched it since. I'm looking forward to playing through an upgraded version of a game I have fond memories of. How is this any different than someone getting excited to re-buy GTAV, a one year old game, for current gen? Or Halo, God of War, Tomb Raider, etc. etc... 

And I would love a subscription to Retro magazine if you are still giving them away!

I'm glad that Cheapy had to ask who the hell that character was (who ended up being the girl from Brave) because I had no idea, either. Still couldn't tell you what her name is even after that. Brave is one of the first Pixar movies I passed on because it looked uninteresting and I never heard anything about it to change that opinion.

Well, you know it's a great podcast when you love to listen despite having entirely different tastes in games than the hosts.  It does break the heart just a little bit when the Wii U is considered too expensive, but nobody has any problem paying full price for a digital copy of Amazing Spiderman 2.  My favorite retro game is The Legend of Zelda (NES), and I would love to be entered in the Retro mag contest.

Well, you know it's a great podcast when you love to listen despite having entirely different tastes in games than the hosts. It does break the heart just a little bit when the Wii U is considered too expensive, but nobody has any problem paying full price for a digital copy of Amazing Spiderman 2. My favorite retro game is The Legend of Zelda (NES), and I would love to be entered in the Retro mag contest.
Wait, I was the one who bought both the Wii U and a digital copy of Amazing Spider-Man 2!

$200 is a good price for the Wii U.  That's what I paid for my refurb unit direct from Nintendo in June.  Of course I had to spend another $100 to get a Pro Controller and Bayonetta 2, but it was worth it for the 2014 GotY.  It's a really big improvement on the original, particularly for anyone who found B1 to be a bit unfair/punishing (QTEs that results in cheap deaths) or have too many annoying segments (motorbike/Space Harrier).

I don't recommend that Wombat get a Wii-U unless there's an exclusive he feels he has to play.  Bayonetta 2 is the only Wii U game I have bought, and the other two I'm interested in are a long way off: Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fatal Frame 5.

OHBHWi.gif

$200 is a good price for the Wii U. That's what I paid for my refurb unit direct from Nintendo in June. Of course I had to spend another $100 to get a Pro Controller and Bayonetta 2, but it was worth it for the 2014 GotY. It's a really big improvement on the original, particularly for anyone who found B1 to be a bit unfair/punishing (QTEs that results in cheap deaths) or have too many annoying segments (motorbike/Space Harrier).

I don't recommend that Wombat get a Wii-U unless there's an exclusive he feels he has to play. Bayonetta 2 is the only Wii U game I have bought, and the other two I'm interested in are a long way off: Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fatal Frame 5.

OHBHWi.gif
Fatal Frame 5 looks so good!

I have also purchased a Wii U recently and would recommend checking out Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, DKC Tropical Freeze, and of course Super Mario 3D World to name a few other great exclusives for the console. I personally love the Wii U, but hate that there are so many controllers for the thing. Wiimote is only worth having for games that require you absolutely need to use it and the Pro Controller is easily the best controller for the console without question and should really come packaged with new consoles.

I know the CAG Cast guys don't really care for Nintendo games, but I'm warming up to the Wii U and I think it's a good console. If you have a PS4 or Xbox One and want a second console it would be a lot smarter to get a Wii U than getting both the Xbox One and PS4.

I don't think the Wii U with Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World is a bad deal at $299, but it should probably be $250.

Shipwreck, I hope you're not being held hostage by Sony Fanboys, count me in for $10 in Xbox money if they demand a ransom.

Seriously though, you are right. Sony has zero excuses for having poor service when they are charging for it. Its so weird that no one is willing to call Sony out for their shitty service and game troubles. I no longer buy Sony products after the PS3. I had mine for a year and got rid of it quickly. I just don't trust Sony. PSN is doing better now days but it still feels pretty basic in comparison. I don't get a ton of gaming time but I could only imagine sitting down to play only to find the service is down...again.  

Microsoft gets trashed for having strict QA standards which upsets developers and costs them money and somehow enrages Sony fanboys.  Driveclub, a major exclusive for Sony this year, releases and its completely broken with no fix in sight. Instead of looking ahead and seeing that PSN isn't up to the task and the developer clearly has issues pulling off a pretty basic game they release it. Why trash Microsoft for insisting we get a quality experience? 

Edit: The CAGCast is the last gaming podcast I listen to. I love the show guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good show, I hope Cheapy tries out Sunset Overdrive. I really think it's his kind of game and better than Saints Row!

Enter me into the Retro Magazine contest as well please!

Add me to the Wii U chorus. I bought one a little over a year ago thinking it'd tide me over until I wanted a PS4, but it's suiting me as my primary next gen console just fine so far.

Cheapy,
You said in this week's CAGcast that you'd like an Orchestra music rhythm game with a baton/conductor controller. There is a Japanese Playstation game out there called Maestromusic II (not Mad Maestro) that is all Classical Music like you said you liked, that came bundled with a baton controller. I'm a big fan of games with quirky controllers and picked on up when I visited Japan in '08. You'd better hurry up and try to find one before you leave Tokyo. Good luck finding one once you're back here in the states.

Please enter me in the Retro Magazine contest.

Welcome home, Cheapy!

Seriously though, you are right. Sony has zero excuses for having poor service when they are charging for it. Its so weird that no one is willing to call Sony out for their shitty service and game troubles. I no longer buy Sony products after the PS3. I had mine for a year and got rid of it quickly. I just don't trust Sony.
That's really funny considering the PS3 was far less likely to have problems compared to the 360 with its Red Ring of Death. Where were Microsoft's "strict QA standards" when the 360 was being made? Or when FEZ was released with a game breaking bug?

Making comments about PSN being basic despite not having a PS3 or a PS4 and therefore having no way of knowing what features it now offers, and then repeatedly calling other people "fanboys" is rather ironic. Don't let the way this console generation is going make you bitter.

Great podcast this week.  I don't post after every show, but I really enjoy each and every show you guys put out.  Thanks for all the work.

I liked when Ben Gilbert was a guest.  You guys should have him on again.  (I agree with him that Wombat is a monster for falling asleep playing Spelunky :)  Of course I'm also happy that Cheapy is back.  

Two things

The original Xbox had better graphics than its PS2 counterpart.........who did better? (PS2)..... The original Xbox also kickstarted console gaming online in a big way which carried over to the Xbox360 and helped them compete in a bigger way for the last generation.

Today, I own a PS4, a Xbox One and a gaming PC. I dont care at all which game looks marginally better at this point and feel that Microsoft can take advantage in a big way with these price drops and better OS to catch up. I have to force myself to buy a PS4 game over an Xbox One game because of how the Xbox is more user friendly. 

Number 2, Wombat reading his high quality glossy paper magazines on the toilet is hilarious to me........I would love a retro Subscription but suck a nice magazine will not be getting soiled by doo-doo stains in my house.

Use the promotional code LONGLIVERETRO to save $5 off a Retro mag subscription.

I really hope the mag goes monthly.

Seriously though, you are right. Sony has zero excuses for having poor service when they are charging for it. Its so weird that no one is willing to call Sony out for their shitty service and game troubles. I no longer buy Sony products after the PS3. I had mine for a year and got rid of it quickly. I just don't trust Sony. PSN is doing better now days but it still feels pretty basic in comparison. I don't get a ton of gaming time but I could only imagine sitting down to play only to find the service is down...again.
You haven't been on PSN for how many years yet you still feel like you know all about how poor their service is at this moment in time? I had a 360 at launch (or as close to it as possible without a preorder--remember people standing in lines at 5am in the hopes there were a couple on the delivery truck) and I've now had a PS4 since launch (never had a PS3). I have not had a single problem with Sony's service in that time. It's not like you roll the dice and x out of 12 times, Sony's service is down. At this point, there's not a whole lot of material difference between PSN and XBL and both of them are pretty stable. Seems like the Driveclub issues are more related to the game and developer than PSN.

Shipwreck, you obviously haven't played much COD. This campaign has to be the shortest even on Veteran. I have played and beat every COD on Vet except Black Ops 2. That had to be the worst story yet. LOL and Spacey is great? It's cool he is in there but this is Call of Duty not House of Cards. 

Come on CheapyD! Sunset is not the greatest but two or three hours to get to the good stuff isnt that long. Personally, I think reviewers need a minimum 30-40 hours of gameplay to give a good review. REAL gameplay not running around chasing toilet paper and dirty sneakers like Shipwreck haha. 

Wombat Sunset Overdrive is about nothing but killing hordes. The harpoons excited you?? It's not Moby Dick. How can you like this game so much if you despise the core concept?  Multiplayer is all about shooting harpoons and delivering pizza (figuratively speaking) so I don't see how you disliked the E3 demo or whatever it was. 

If you loved Dead Rising 3 and are totally bored of it you will enjoy Sunset Overdrive for a short time. It is the Borderlands version of DR3 with less inspiring weaponry and bright colors. Maybe 20 weapons in the whole game and you will end up using 1-3 of them.

Well I guess after some research the length of the campaign for COD is average. I play on Veteran only so length depends on difficulty. Ghost was pretty short playing Veteran on the 360 but the AI on XBO was more difficult. I would say the difficulty on AW for XBO is equivalent to the 360 version of Ghost. 

good cagcast I am enjoying smash bros on 3ds and destiny on ps4. I am tempted to jump into disney infitiny because Im a huge nerd and a fan of Disney characters WOMBAT if you can recommend me if I buy a 3ds disney starter set at my workplace selling them for 30$ should I bite? I want to take a chance on the retro magazine contest I am a part of the lego jr magazine that I read through before I give my niece the issue good show and cheapy, wombat and ship have opinions

Oh boy, what an amazingly high-quality discussion and analysis of Nintendo and the Wii U in this episode. Good call in avoiding discussing any of Nintendo's lineup of exclusive games for this holiday season and early 2015. Other topics were way more important, like Nintendo's still-in-development sleep sensor, "horse armor" Amiibos, and Nintendo's apparently terrible decision to remake a game and plunge their company into ruin and despair.

The Cagcast's distaste in Amiibos baffles me, considering they love paying for one-game-use figurines from Skylanders and Disney Infinity so much. Is it such a crime that Nintendo's Amiibos offer additional benefits, aka "horse armor", when being used in more than one game? It seems to give it additional value, in my opinion.

I also don't see how Nintendo's decision to remake a 14-year-old game immediately places them as "having no idea what they're doing" and is supposedly now their only business strategy (again let's remember we don't discuss the fact they have a lineup of new games this year and next).

Seeing the backlash from the Cagcast for Nintendo's decision to remake one game, it's a good thing Sony and Microsoft haven't released any remakes and ports for their systems, like The Last of Us, Halo 1-4, Grand Theft Auto V, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Sleeping Dogs, Escape Plan, Fez, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Flow, Flower, The Unfinished Swan, Injustice, Journey, Metro Redux, Minecraft, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate, Sound Shapes, Spelunky, Tearaway, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Diablo III, Divekick, Guacamelee, and Metro: Last Light Redux. If so, it would just appear that they're trying to pad out their business calendar before their actual new first-party games can finally be released in 2015.

In the first year of release, the PS4 and XB1 had the benefit of third-parties to help fill out their release schedule as well, unlike the Wii U. Third parties always seem hesitant to support Nintendo's consoles, as their games rarely sell very well in competition to Nintendo's own games. It also doesn't help that in many cases third-party games on Nintendo platforms are stripped-down/inferior versions of the PlayStation/Xbox versions too, caused by a lack of motivation/resources from the third parties to properly develop for a market that is projected to result in poor sales anyway. Personally I see Nintendo's own high-quality games as being both a benefit for Nintendo hardware sales, and also a detriment against third-parties who fear poor sales of their own games against Nintendo's games.

I still don't agree with Cheapy's view that Nintendo needs to drop the price on the Wii U to "save" the system. The existing bundles offer value for those who are interested in Nintendo's lineup of games this holiday, and the current library of exclusive games it now has is pretty compelling for those who want more than just annual recycles of multi-platform game franchises.
Amen!

Let's not forget, that these gimped up/stripped 3rd-party Wii U port versions that are lacking multiplayer/DLCs that every other version on every existing main platforms has that the Wii U doesn't...THEY COME OUT MONTHS LATER on the Wii U than any other version.

Ubisoft in the case of Watch Dogs are going to sell poorly because they just threw the version of the Wii U to die when it comes out, almost like trying to excuse themselves from ever porting anything to the Wii U because it's 'apparently' not selling....but it's entirely their fault!

Watch Dogs' hype has dwindled severely, because the game wasn't as promising as it seemed to be pre-release, the game ended up being mediocre, and it seems that the Wii U version will not have the DLC in any form....People will not double-dip or buy a game that came out months ago on every other console/platform and ended up being mediocre = the definition of releasing on the Wii U just to let it die...and NOT because it's on the Wii U!

The Wii U has a 'catch 22' problem, 3rd-parties want to give up on it because not enough consoles were sold because of the lack or fast dwindling support of 3rd-parties. No consoles are going to sell, if games are not released...in the case of 3rd-parties they want consoles to sell before they even start producing a game on the Wii U, that's NOT how it works and that's NOT how you get consoles to sell....This isn't a Kickstarter/Early Access where you give X amount of money, then games are promised to be made.

I just think 3rd-parties just DO NOT like Nintendo and, aside from 'maybe' not being able to compete against Nintendo's 1st-party games, their 'Family friendly' image...because I don't understand why they would not want to invest.

The market seems to be now based on 'faith' just like 'Amazon's stocks' that investors keep pumping money into Amazon, even if Amazon isn't making more than it's losing...it's like they're seeing into the far 'theoretical' future where all that investment will pay off once the 'perfect -money making in the shitloads- infrastructure' is in place...same for PS4/XOne (Sony & Microsoft consoles in general).

I feel like Nintendo, no matter what they do they will never get as much support as they want/need because their name is 'Nintendo', which is sad. Nintendo will have to bend over backwards to 3rd-parties, just like Microsoft makes 3rd-parties bend over backwards to them.

They seem to be SUPER 3rd-party friendly this time around, especially to indie-devs from what I've been seeing and hearing....but it's just not coinciding with 3rd-party reasons for unknown reasons anyway. It's like Capcom not making any Mega Man games, and canceling 3 Mega Man games, the moment Keiji Inafune left without proper explanation as to why they are not even planning to make any more or why they canceled those 3 games.

There's my 2 cents....other than the detrimental uninformed Nintendo talk. Aside from that...Good show guys, keep it up! :D/

I highly recommend Wombat & CheapyD to get a Wii U eventually and make their own informed Wii U opinions and about its games....just saying. It wouldn't hurt.

Amen!

Let's not forget, that these gimped up/stripped 3rd-party Wii U port versions that are lacking multiplayer/DLCs that every other version on every existing main platforms has that the Wii U doesn't...THEY COME OUT MONTHS LATER on the Wii U than any other version.

Ubisoft in the case of Watch Dogs are going to sell poorly because they just threw the version of the Wii U to die when it comes out, almost like trying to excuse themselves from ever porting anything to the Wii U because it's 'apparently' not selling....but it's entirely their fault!

Watch Dogs' hype has dwindled severely, because the game wasn't as promising as it seemed to be pre-release, the game ended up being mediocre, and it seems that the Wii U version will not have the DLC in any form....People will not double-dip or buy a game that came out months ago on every other console/platform and ended up being mediocre = the definition of releasing on the Wii U just to let it die...and NOT because it's on the Wii U!

The Wii U has a 'catch 22' problem, 3rd-parties want to give up on it because not enough consoles were sold because of the lack or fast dwindling support of 3rd-parties. No consoles are going to sell, if games are not released...in the case of 3rd-parties they want consoles to sell before they even start producing a game on the Wii U, that's NOT how it works and that's NOT how you get consoles to sell....This isn't a Kickstarter/Early Access where you give X amount of money, then games are promised to be made.

I just think 3rd-parties just DO NOT like Nintendo and, aside from 'maybe' not being able to compete against Nintendo's 1st-party games, their 'Family friendly' image...because I don't understand why they would not want to invest.

The market seems to be now based on 'faith' just like 'Amazon's stocks' that investors keep pumping money into Amazon, even if Amazon isn't making more than it's losing...it's like they're seeing into the far 'theoretical' future where all that investment will pay off once the 'perfect -money making in the shitloads- infrastructure' is in place...same for PS4/XOne (Sony & Microsoft consoles in general).

I feel like Nintendo, no matter what they do they will never get as much support as they want/need because their name is 'Nintendo', which is sad. Nintendo will have to bend over backwards to 3rd-parties, just like Microsoft makes 3rd-parties bend over backwards to them.

They seem to be SUPER 3rd-party friendly this time around, especially to indie-devs from what I've been seeing and hearing....but it's just not coinciding with 3rd-party reasons for unknown reasons anyway. It's like Capcom not making any Mega Man games, and canceling 3 Mega Man games, the moment Keiji Inafune left without proper explanation as to why they are not even planning to make any more or why they canceled those 3 games.

There's my 2 cents....other than the detrimental uninformed Nintendo talk. Aside from that...Good show guys, keep it up! :D/

I highly recommend Wombat & CheapyD to get a Wii U eventually and make their own informed Wii U opinions and about its games....just saying. It wouldn't hurt.
Sorry, but there's nothing emotional about the decision for 3rd parties to not support the Wii U. Nintendo made a conscious decision last generation to take themselves out of the "console wars" and release lesser-powered systems that focus on their 1st party titles. They hoped that the pull of their 1st party franchises would be enough to sell millions. Due to the insane hype-wagon that the Wii had, their choice was somewhat vindicated with the Wii sales. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't a vindication of their decision, it was a coincidence due to the motion-gaming craze that hit people at the time (and Wii Sports).

Now, they're in a bind. They released the Wii U early to try and build support prior to the XBO and PS4 coming out, but now they are so far behind the other consoles when it comes to performance that what used to be a fairly straightforward port of a game developed for the other consoles is a challenge and things have to be cut/re-engineered to make it work. Combine that extra effort/cost with the fact that there are what, 7 million Wii U's out there (not even as many as the PS4 or XBO have after only being out a year) and consider that half of those are probably kids' consoles that parents bought because they wanted the Mario games and you have a pretty lousy sales projection for a Wii U version that takes a lot of engineering effort. On top of that, their gimmick for this generation (the gamepad) is stupid. It's not ergonomic, it's heavy, and the battery lasts like 3 hours tops. And don't get me started on Nintendo's awful online stuff. A CoD game wouldn't even be able to survive in the online environment that Nintendo forces on developers/gamers.

So, the problem is not just "everybody hates Nintendo." It's a combination of the very real decisions Nintendo continues to make and market forces that seem to be slowly indicating that those decisions are wrong. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo is still doing just fine. They're not in any danger of going Sega, but honestly, if they did, we would be in a lot simpler and more interesting world. Can you imagine if Nintendo could bring all their R&D and marketing budget to bear on making great software instead of fumbling around in the hardware market?

Full disclosure: I used to LOVE Nintendo. At this point in my life, I just feel like I've grown out of them. I'd still play Mario games because I love platformers, but none of the other stuff appeals to me, I just don't have space for another console, places to store all the peripheral crap like the Gamepad that needs charged all the time, and time to play enough games to make it worthwhile. I don't even play my DS anymore--it just sits in a drawer, lonely. I'm not just bashing Nintendo, there is a very real path that led to them being where they are and it seems a lot of their fans can't see that and just see criticism as blind bashing.

bread's done
Back