CAGcast #40: Happy CAGiversary!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Hell, I think it would even work better if Cheapy or Wombat were unavailable to do the show one week for someone to "guest host" with the other. That way, Cheapy or Wombat could handle the CAG business like the deals and new releases, but the guest host could bring something of their own to the table.[/QUOTE]

You've been watching a lot of Regis and Kelly, haven't you? ;)

[quote name='shipwreck']I must have lost touch with the CAG community because I thought this was probably my favorite CAGcast so far. Chock full of lots of good content, new segments, and an interesting guest.

Maybe I'm not an objective listener anymore. :([/QUOTE]

It was my favorite, too, but I have reason to be biased.

I don't understand why people need someone to hold their hand while playing video games, the Dead Rising save system is fine, if you can't get to a bathroom j00 sux.

Just wanted to get your opinion on this...

When playing games with a good-bad morality option, such as KOTOR, or Fable, I always play 'good'. I could never kill an innocent person, nor do anything choatic or evil in the game. While I know, it's entertainment, it just goes against my nature. While thinking about this, I realize I am missing a good portion of the game.

I know Wombat mentioned he prefered games where you get to be the good guy. Do you guys ever feel this way, or have I been brainwashed? Perhaps I can't violate the 2nd Prime Directive....

[quote name='Tybee']I find it fascinating that so many are calling Chris "boring," when I thought his presence helped make this one of the better shows yet. I wasn't so interested in the constant discussion of the rivalry with Kotaku, but most of that seemed to be prompted by reader questions and Cheapy, rather than Chris, who seemed to be above it. I always love the show, but this one felt a little more...I dunno...professional.

The Angry Wombat segment is fun and I agree that game journalists MUST do follow-ups if at all possible. However, I think he overestimates how much pull most game journalists actually have. Most developers have no desire to explain themselves and there's no law that says they have to. Thus, if they talk to you at all about a perceived problem with one of their games, they'll usually feed you some PR BS about how they developed the best product they could and it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time blah blah blah.

Case in point: When I was writing about games way back when, one of the publishers that consistently delivered crap was Crave Entertainment. We would skewer them in reviews and had the chance to talk to them by phone and in person on multiple occasions and they'd never give a satisfactory answer for why their products were invariably flawed. They're still around and still cranking out garbage.

Cheapy: It sounds like the game you're describing is Trade Wars.[/quote]

I think you summed up the problem in one word "professional". What I like about the podcast is that Cheapy and Wombat don't take themselves too seriously.
I thought this show was trying to be something that the CagCast is not.

I really hope that the Cagcast doesnt continue in this direction. I like listenign to two regular guys talk about games.

Cheapy-How bout weekly "Man in Japan" segments.

[quote name='ivanctorres']I think you summed up the problem in one word "professional". What I like about the podcast is that Cheapy and Wombat don't take themselves too seriously.
I thought this show was trying to be something that the CagCast is not.

I really hope that the Cagcast doesnt continue in this direction. I like listenign to two regular guys talk about games.

Cheapy-How bout weekly "Man in Japan" segments.[/QUOTE]

It's not the two regular guys talking about games that is unprofessional. It's the two regular guys belching, making tortured animal sounds, and discussing poop at length that turns me off.

A second vote for more regular "Man in Japan" segments.

[quote name='Tybee']It's not the two regular guys talking about games that is unprofessional. It's the two regular guys belching, making tortured animal sounds, and discussing poop at length that turns me off.

A second vote for more regular "Man in Japan" segments.[/QUOTE]
That's the best part!

[quote name='Tybee']It's not the two regular guys talking about games that is unprofessional. It's the two regular guys belching, making tortured animal sounds, and discussing poop at length that turns me off.[/quote]

That's who these guys are! You can't ask for too much more.

I mean the guys from 1UP are all in the gaming media but they still act like drunk collage students and make sexual jokes all show long.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']That's who these guys are! You can't ask for too much more.

I mean the guys from 1UP are all in the gaming media but they still act like drunk collage students and make sexual jokes all show long.[/QUOTE]

I think you've just hit the nail on the head, my friend.

Don't get me wrong. I love the cutting up and would never, ever want them to sterilize the show. But the fact is, we all primarily listen to the show for the discussion of games and related topics. There's plenty of room in there for all of the stuff that comes with that, but it's a fine line between "amusing" and "juvenile." Cheapy and Wombat get a pass most of the time because they are, in fact, funny. The 1UP guys, the 4CR guys, and even the IGN folks usually seem to think they're funnier than they actually are, which really gets grating. I just don't want to see CAG go down that road.

Finally got to listen to this as CAGcast 39 ate my ipod :cry: I would agree that Chris from Joystiq was rather boring and sounded like he really did not want to be a part of it. I think you should have guests however make them very short interviews. It seemed like he was not into the CAG sense of humor. Plus no burp Cheapy. fuck that. Bring it back!

Great show, I found Chris' additions to the converstion very interesting considering his relationship to the industry and refreshing from the typical CAG talk(which I still love, but you know).

Oh yeah, I concur with the addition of a weekly YMIJ segment.

Yeah, I was about to say, more YMIJ.

And congrats Wombat on the lost weight! I was wondering what the status was and I'm glad to hear it's working out.

[quote name='ivanctorres']No show this week? Have Cheapy and Wombat been turned off by all the "Chris" from Joystiq backlash?[/QUOTE]
CheapyD wasn't able to belch the entire show so he had an unfortunate "backup."

bread's done
Back