CAGcast #50: Trick or Twiit

[quote name='Mulliga2']That's a pretty sweet costume for being homemade, Wombat.

I have to agree with the "certain aspects of gaming are ignored" complaint. But there's only two guys doing the show and thus only two people playing games. To have someone talk about FFXII, I'd rather they actually play it (I'm about 7 hours in and it seems like a quality FF - definitely the one to pick up of you like MMORPGs).[/QUOTE]

The problem to be honest, is that its not a game on my radar, and I really dont have the time to play games that I'm not "interested" in. If I had the time to put forth the genuine effort I would give detailed reviews of every FF game that comes down the pike, they propbably even be postive and informative. Or aleast one of the 2

[quote name='Wombat']The problem to be honest, is that its not a game on my radar, and I really dont have the time to play games that I'm not "interested" in. If I had the time to put forth the genuine effort I would give detailed reviews of every FF game that comes down the pike, they propbably even be postive and informative. Or aleast one of the 2[/quote]

Thats part of what I was saying. You guys have no interest in certain genres/fields. This is the first one I've heard, but it left me with the impression that neither you or cheapy really give a hoot about RPGs or the totallity of PC games in general. Action/adventure/plaforming and FPS seems to be the bulk of your combined interests. Thats why I suggested the guest spots. You could throw out 5-10 minutes a week to a different CAG to both diversify the opinions on the show and to not only feed the community, but involve it. Can you imagine what it'd be like to tap epo's brain for 5 minutes? We'd need the rest of the week to just digest everything he said.

You guys are funny and it was a great start to my morning, but at the end I was just left feeling like the guy you were talking about that said you guys were a bit uninformative. I walked away knowing that you and Cheapy like shooters and platformers and rape your wives' hands in their sleep. "Games Cheapy and Wombat like" doesn't really enlighten the community of CAG as a whole. Infact, you spent most of your time talking about high profile games from highly saturated genres that most people have already played or have a strong opinion formed about them. Additionally, when you boil it down, you essentially say "if you liked the other games in the series, you'll like this one!" You don't really say what makes it so great beyond the fact that its better than the last game, which was totally awesome to start with!

I don't wanna sound like I'm endlessly bitching, I just think there are some areas that could be worked on to broaden appeal/usefulness of the podcast. You guys are pretty funny though.

I disagree with discussing games that you guys don't care about. Then you'll just be bashing the game and people will complain that you're ragging on a good game. It's your CAGcast, comment on what you want. If I want to hear people argue I'll watch PTI on ESPN.

PS This was the first time I actually decided to listen to one of the CAGcast's, and proceeded to listen to a few others after I was done. I'll definitely be looking forward to more in the future.

=\

I didn't say they should play games they hate. I meant they should ask people that like them/have played them to do guest spots. Like a CAGs-eye-view.

And I didn't say they should argue. I just think it'd be a bit more intresting to have a more robust discusion beyond " 'sgoood. You should play." "Ya, its sauce'em." Different points of view != arguing.

[quote name='MysteryMan2333']I disagree with discussing games that you guys don't care about. Then you'll just be bashing the game and people will complain that you're ragging on a good game. It's your CAGcast, comment on what you want. If I want to hear people argue I'll watch PTI on ESPN.

PS This was the first time I actually decided to listen to one of the CAGcast's, and proceeded to listen to a few others after I was done. I'll definitely be looking forward to more in the future.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']Thats part of what I was saying. You guys have no interest in certain genres/fields. This is the first one I've heard, but it left me with the impression that neither you or cheapy really give a hoot about RPGs or the totallity of PC games in general. Action/adventure/plaforming and FPS seems to be the bulk of your combined interests. Thats why I suggested the guest spots. You could throw out 5-10 minutes a week to a different CAG to both diversify the opinions on the show and to not only feed the community, but involve it. Can you imagine what it'd be like to tap epo's brain for 5 minutes? We'd need the rest of the week to just digest everything he said.

You guys are funny and it was a great start to my morning, but at the end I was just left feeling like the guy you were talking about that said you guys were a bit uninformative. I walked away knowing that you and Cheapy like shooters and platformers and rape your wives' hands in their sleep. "Games Cheapy and Wombat like" doesn't really enlighten the community of CAG as a whole. Infact, you spent most of your time talking about high profile games from highly saturated genres that most people have already played or have a strong opinion formed about them. Additionally, when you boil it down, you essentially say "if you liked the other games in the series, you'll like this one!" You don't really say what makes it so great beyond the fact that its better than the last game, which was totally awesome to start with!

I don't wanna sound like I'm endlessly bitching, I just think there are some areas that could be worked on to broaden appeal/usefulness of the podcast. You guys are pretty funny though.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

Just a few things:

- The comment about the sleeping wives... hah another classic Cheapy line.

- Wombat, I feel your pain about mice. I live in Boston, and even in our brand new apartments up here are infested. It's probably similar in NYC, but there are more mice than people up here. They're just everywhere. I hardly go a day without seeing one. I started using these little things you plug into the wall and click (I think they're called the Clicker or something), but they send out some high pitched noise that humans can't hear but scare away mice. Not sure how it would affect Zelda though. Either way, I live in a crappy building here now and I haven't seen or heard a single mouse yet with these bad boys.

- Advanced D&D for Intelvision was the bane of my exsistance growing up. My Dad used to have my brother and I play Intelevision instead of buying a NES, so I grew up playing Night Stalker and Advanced D&D instead of Mario. AD&D was incredibly tough and the purple blob still haunts me at night.

I love the podcast guys, I've been listening since #1 and you guys have improved and made this my favorite podcast (even more than TWiT which was the first podcast I cosistantly listened to). I hope you guys have another great 50 (and more).

Also, now that I can't listen to the podcast at work (hence why I'm listening at midnight) I find myself refreshing the forums all day haha.

Very good show. I was surprised that the show seemed to end so abruptly since you guys were in such a good rhythm that you probably could've gone on even longer had you had more content lined up. It seems like Wombat still doesn't know that Insomniac's first game was an FPS when he was criticizing them for making Resistance before the next Ratchet and Clank. :lol: Congrats on getting to 50 shows. You've improved quite a bit over your first shows.

I do have to agree about your gaming tastes do alter the range of topics that you guys can cover since you don't care about MGS, most RPG's, and several other genres. While I'd like it if FFXII could be talked about and discussed. I'd rather it not be discussed if you'd just half-ass it just to say you did. It'd just be nice to not have it dismissed like it was some stupid game that nobody cares about instead of the Game of the Year candidate that FFXII is.

You guys just come off as a little condescending, even though I know you guys don't intend it that way, instead of just saying something like "Big news for RPG fans as Final Fantasy XII comes out this week. It's not my cup of tea, but I'm sure there are plenty of people listening that are rejoicing this week." Just some food for thought for you guys.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You guys just come off as a little condescending, even though I know you guys don't intend it that way, instead of just saying something like "Big news for RPG fans as Final Fantasy XII comes out this week. It's not my cup of tea, but I'm sure there are plenty of people listening that are rejoicing this week." Just some food for thought for you guys.[/quote] Good suggestion.

Man, Wombat was on fire for this CAGcast. Cheapy, great job on the PS3 mini-previews and I'm glad you finally called out those bloggers posting the deals. I always suspected they were just stealing the stuff you found and passing it off on their own. They'd always suspiciously post them shortly after you would and sometimes even use similar terminology/dialect.

[quote name='CheapyD']Good suggestion.[/quote]

On the other hand, it is your show and we are listening to this because we either think it's entertaining, or we want to hear what you think about stuff, so even if you come off as "meh" on a certain genre or a particular game, that's probably ok...as long you talk about why you don't care for it or why you aren't into it (which I don't think you guys did this time around).

[quote name='Kayden']Thats part of what I was saying. You guys have no interest in certain genres/fields. This is the first one I've heard, but it left me with the impression that neither you or cheapy really give a hoot about RPGs or the totallity of PC games in general. Action/adventure/plaforming and FPS seems to be the bulk of your combined interests. Thats why I suggested the guest spots. You could throw out 5-10 minutes a week to a different CAG to both diversify the opinions on the show and to not only feed the community, but involve it. Can you imagine what it'd be like to tap epo's brain for 5 minutes? We'd need the rest of the week to just digest everything he said.

I don't wanna sound like I'm endlessly bitching, I just think there are some areas that could be worked on to broaden appeal/usefulness of the podcast. You guys are pretty funny though.[/QUOTE]

Hey you can't be everything everybody. The solution is to not listen to them for pcgaming advice. :) I listen for the Q&A and reports on 360 and other console games and about Japan and the website etc.

I know they are ignorant of pcgaming, but that's ok. Actually kind of funny when they talk about pcgaming as if it's this 'scary' thing in the closet.

So here's hoping you don't try and stretch yourselves thin in the gaming dept. I look at is as the Dynamic Duo merely reporting on their gaming time. Not going out of their way to play every game under the sun just to get in 5 minutes about said game.

[quote name='Chacrana']30 minutes in and it's a good show so far... but as far as Wombat's semi rant about there not being a good platformer at launch... I'm glad there's not. The genre's been done to death and it's simply not fun anymore.[/QUOTE]

Yeah good thing they threw in a genre that's not tired like a first person shooter. ;)

[quote name='Kayden']=\

I didn't say they should play games they hate. I meant they should ask people that like them/have played them to do guest spots. Like a CAGs-eye-view.

And I didn't say they should argue. I just think it'd be a bit more intresting to have a more robust discusion beyond " 'sgoood. You should play." "Ya, its sauce'em." Different points of view != arguing.[/quote]

Technically, I didn't say games they hate either. I said don't care about, which is obviously very different. As for arguing, you didn't mention that, but it tends to happen when two people have very different opinions that they feel passionately about. Perhaps arguing was a bad word; debate would have been better probably. In any case, I'm not sure why people listen to the show, but personally the game 'reviews' aren't a big deal to me. Sure, it's nice to hear someone's opinion on a game, but you probably already know whether you are going to like FFXII or not. The fact that CheapyD or Wombat said that don't care about the game, didn't make me think 'Gee, I bet that game sucks now'. So I'm not sure if having someone else to come on the show to talk about the game, which they won't care about, will really help the show. Just my opinion though...

I'm glad to see that they talk about what they like, and their PC ignorance is something I share with them. That's part of why I like the show is because they stick to things that I'm interested in. Plus, they basically convinced me to buy a 360 over the course of their past 50 episodes, and it's the best purchase I've made since my N64.

Thanks Cheapy and Wombat for making gaming fun to play and listen to.

Cagcast rules. My girlfriend likes to hear Zelda's valuable input to the show. So uh, yeah, you've got that going for you.

Great CAGcast Cheepy and Wombat.

As per you comment concerning Insomniac making a FPS game. I strongly suspect the reason for this, is that Insomniac was FORCED to make a FPS by Sony to try and tap into the "US Hard Core" game market. Sony KNOWS their console is pricey and they feel the US Hard Core gamers only care about FPS games. Too bad, since many more creative games are probalby being cancelled by Sony.

[quote name='gunm']On the other hand, it is your show and we are listening to this because we either think it's entertaining, or we want to hear what you think about stuff, so even if you come off as "meh" on a certain genre or a particular game, that's probably ok...as long you talk about why you don't care for it or why you aren't into it (which I don't think you guys did this time around).[/quote]
Then again, they've been willing and able to listen to suggestions and feedback on how to make the show even better since day one. Why act like snobs and ignore the feedback that they get. It's not just their show, it's CAG's show. We're all apart of CAG and we like having our voices heard and taken into consideration.

[quote name='j-fever']Great CAGcast Cheepy and Wombat.

As per you comment concerning Insomniac making a FPS game. I strongly suspect the reason for this, is that Insomniac was FORCED to make a FPS by Sony to try and tap into the "US Hard Core" game market. Sony KNOWS their console is pricey and they feel the US Hard Core gamers only care about FPS games. Too bad, since many more creative games are probalby being cancelled by Sony.[/quote]
I highly doubt that, as Sony does not own Insomniac and have very little say in what they do. Insomniac decided to make the game, get over it. They weren't forced into it.

As for Sony cancelling creative games, that's also doubtful as they've got a ton of game project going on for the PS3, around 100 to be exact. They're very receptive in publishing games for the PS3 right now and I don't see much proof that says that they're not.

Great show, one of the best if not the best one that I have listened to. The only small complaint is that, if one of you are interested in a game, but not the other you seem to cut the other one off. This episode the main time i noticed that was when cheapy was about to talk about Fear for the 360 and Wombat basically said "I'm not interested about it" and then moved right on. Cheapy actually seemed like he wanted to talk about it some.

Besides that, great coverage on everything else, as for lack of PC games that some people have been mentioning it is a little sad, but PC games are barely mentioned on this forum anyway and it doesnt seem like they are struggling for content or time.

I also love Cheapy and Wombat's hands on impressions of games, especially the Wii and PS3. All the opinions are honest and it isnt anything like most videogame sites that most of the time will not say anything negative about a game in an early version. Yet cheapy and wombat do, but have reasons and leave optimism towards the games still.

Overall Great Show

[quote name='thorbahn3']Also ban dormer if he doesn't give Cag credit again.[/quote]

Yeah ban this Dan Dormer guy. I did check out his 1UP page and he's erased all the blogs posts with stolen CAG deals. If your not going to ban him, at least post his username so we can drive him off CAG.

Phoenix Wright Tip: You can say "Objection" or "Hold it" in the first one too (not just Justice for All). You have to hold down the "Y" button before you say it into the mic, though.

Happy 50th, Cheapy and Wombat! Once again, this episode delivered. I’m a little troubled about other listeners’ concern with your gastro-intestinal goings-on, though. The fact that you can do an entire television interview without bustin’ out a mega-belch has no bearing on what you do during an edition of the CAGcast. The podcast is your home and you’re free to behave in whatever manner you feel appropriate. It’s like how you’d never drop trou and lounge around in your boxers and a wifebeater at work, but you’re more than entitled to do so in your own apartment. It’s apples to oranges.

Good 50th guys. It did run a little long, however. I'd keep the length around 60 min. That was perfect for me, and I'm sure an hour is convenient for many other CAGcast fans.

I've started doing something with the podcasts which make them shorter and more entertaining. I time-compress them to about 65% of original speed. It drops this podcast to less than 50 minutes.

The pitch of the voices remains the same, but the talking is considerably faster which makes it a little funny and still very listenable at the same time.

Brian

[quote name='shipwreck']That reminded me of something they forgot to mention in the "New Releases" section as well: http://www.lrm2007.com/

What the hell kind of journalism is this anyway?[/QUOTE]

I'm a RR fan and don't find the mocking of it funny. I REALLY wanted to hear what Cheapy thinks of RR7.

Cheapy D!!! I didn't get my automated birthday message!! My birthday was this past Nov. 4th!! I'm a sad sad cheap gamer...I wanted to be a cool kid and have one too!!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

bread's done
Back