CAGcast #502: How to Succeed at E3 Predictions Without Really Trying

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks E3 2017, Wonder Woman, Lego Worlds, Sony’s strange claims, Wombat’s wombating and so much more!

Download (1 hours 20 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Harrys! Please visit http://www.harrys.com/cagcast to get $5 off a shaving set.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Deorro- 5 Hours (Waveshock I Like It Remix)
Outro - IGN's Calling All Cars Review

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early Cagcast? 

Early Cagcast!

Having to work late on a project, this is a godsend. Looking forward to hearing what y'all think about E3 this year. 

Show Feedback:

About Logan, I want to watch it but I don't do well with bloody gore stuff. The trailer looked intense, is it pretty gory?

I'm seeing Wonder Woman this weekend and I can't wait! I saw the trailer for the first time last week and was blown away. It looks awesome. 

I picked up Tekken 7 for PC and have been really enjoying it lately. I've pretty much never purchased a fighting game so I get destroyed in online play but it's still pretty fun.

Lol, Cheapy, I completely understand the "Overwatch Gaming and Stuff" rut. I'm the same right now. It's just so familiar and comfy. It's extremely easy to jump in and play a few rounds when you're time limited and then go do something else. I'm considering picking up a ps4 pro soon. We have a lot of similar tastes. Can you recommend a good ps4 exclusive I should check out?

Wombat, I picked up some of those polo shirts too haha. 

Ok, here are my E3 predictions:

Nintendo: This is only Switch not 3DS. Nintendo will talk about Splatoon 2, Arms, and Pokken Tournament. They will also show a new trailer for Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade. They will then show a trailer with quick cuts of upcoming third party games that may or may not come out this year. They will also show a trailer of indie games coming out. They will then have a "one last thing" and announce a new AAA title like Animal Crossing or Metroid (probably not this one).   

Sony: I don't think Sony will have anything jaw dropping. I think they will have a good showing but I think most of their conference will be dedication to GOW and third party marketing deals. Of course, they will also show Spider-man. We will most likely see several Japanese developed exclusives and they might also show something "amazing" that won't come out for another five years...I do think GOW and Spider-man will be absolutely stunning though.

Microsoft: Microsoft is a wild card....They will show Scorpio, games running on Scorpio, and have a few third party and first party devs talk about how easy it is to develop for Scorpio. There will also be an indie showcase and trailers for Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay. I also think we will see three AAA first party games announced and a second party game or two announced. 

Scorpio will be priced extremely aggressively. I'm guessing $399 or maybe even $379. They are going to eat the loss on hardware sales revenue so they can gain mindshare. More importantly though, they are going to eat the loss on hardware sales revenue because the more hardware they sell, the more subscriptions to live and games pass they will sell. That's what Microsoft wants. They want that sweet sweet delicious recurring revenue.

Overall, I think Microsoft has the greatest chance at "winning" e3 and really blowing the socks off of everyone. I don't really see anything to exciting coming from Nintendo or Sony. Unless of course Nintendo shows off several first party games that are in development and will release in 2018/19. I think they are just focusing on 2017 though.  

One thing I am curious about, and I would love some opinions on this. Personally, even though it's a lot more powerful, I think devs won't make the Scorpio version of games higher quality (in terms of visuals) than the PS4 Pro version. There might be resolution boost and possibly framerate boost but that's about all. Thoughts?

Totally agree with CheapyD about Logan. It was not what I wanted from a superhero movie. The premise was predictable and has been over done. The best part was Professor X.

My E3 prediction is a new Sony Handheld. I do not think they will let Nintendo get all of the portable market.

Thanks for all of the years and years of entertainment Gentlemen.

Cheapy, have you tried Paladins?  It is very similar to Overwatch, but does enough different to warrant a look.  (And when I say similar, I mean it plays almost identical.)  Each character has four abilities instead of two and you can add buffs mid match based on currency you accumulate during each match.  It's free to play so you have nothing to lose.  

Free to play Battleborne doesn't apply to the single player stuff, only the multiplayer.  I think Shipwreck only played single player.  As far as Overwatch v. Battleborne multiplayer,  Battleborne is a straight up MOBA.  There are creeps and towers and what-not.  It plays like Paragon or Smite, not Overwatch.  It's a good game, but the matches are too long.  I would rather play three Overwatch mataches instead.   

Great job as always...

Show feedback - 

I agree that there should be a hockey game like NBA Playgrounds / NBA jam.  In fact I miss the arcade style sports games.  I don't play most sports games just because i don't have time to play full seasons and games etc.  

As far as VR is concerned with the PlayStation presser.  My guess is that they will only show  demos,  i don't think it has the install base to have a good AAA title anytime soon.  

Also Shipwreck -  Hoopla is great, thanks for letting me know about that. While looking into that with my library, I also found Overdrive.com.  It may have stuff that the Hoopla does not as I have noticed. 

Great job as always...

Show feedback -

I agree that there should be a hockey game like NBA Playgrounds / NBA jam. In fact I miss the arcade style sports games. I don't play most sports games just because i don't have time to play full seasons and games etc.
Wayne Gretzkey 3D Hockey?

Open-world Twisted Metal would be beaut

Cheapy pondered what possible advantage there would be for Nintendo to drag out the virtual console releases: maybe it's in case they have no Switch games coming out in future they can distract everyone with Hey Here's SNES F-Zero Please Understand Edition (PU Edition).

Also 8/10 in my book is supposed to be for games I enjoy, not games that taste like soap. That'd be like 5/10. 1/10 is reserved for bleu cheese and my neighbor's mailbox. But it is what it is. Anyway thanks for the cagcast, enjoyable as always, Wombat was especially funny in this one (lol'ed multiple times and I'm a hard man to lol why didn't anyone laugh at his high school kids under the stage joke).

So let's see how E3 goes. You ever wanna see what the bottom of a Scorpio's shoe looks like? Well BAM!

E3 prediction: The Scorpio is powered by the harvested soul of Milo.

Nintendo doesn't want to flood the market with their VC games.  IT's called not killing the Golden Goose.   In show business it is called leaving them wanting more.   

Plus not like  having  VC games helped the Wii U.   And the Switch is still only 3 months old.  

Wombat pretty obviously did not want a new Zelda game and just wanted the same Zelda game as before.  That's why he is having trouble with it.  When he said he's enjoying Doom that just reinforced it.  Doom is  over-rated.  Same frickin' game as before.  Nothing special about Doom gameplay any more. 

And thus I think Wombat is missing the entire point of BotW.  IT's deliberately a "drop you into a big open world and have you experiment and figure things out" game with multiple ways to get things done.  It's a more of a survival/exploration game than previous Zelda games.  VEry much up to the player to gauge their strength vs the strength of the enemy.

Cheapy on the Don Mattrick's "For people who want to play offline, we've got a console for that." comment four years ago: Nobody remembers that.

Cheapy on this show: "It happened with Jack Tretton with the PS3 [launch, 11 years ago], where he challenged people and said he would pay $1500 if you could find one on a store shelf."

Don't underestimate the memory of people when it comes to dumb comments said by execs.

Did the guys post any sound clips talking about E3?  Did I miss them somehow?

EDIT: Nevermind, they're all on audioboom.  I was thinking they'd be posted on the CAGcast feed.

Thanks guys for the great podcast.  I love the prediction shows.  This episode and the E3 Audiobooms got me through my first marathon today (I run pretty slow--6 hours to finish).  Keep up the great work

There is probably some psychological reason these guys take so much glee in certain gaming platforms failing or underperforming. Other people really enjoy these platforms and would prefer they succeed.

bread's done
Back