CAGcast #61: Cheapy's Choice

Yeah a big plus of the VC is convenience. I'm sure those guys in suits know this too.

Look at your local convenience store or your pop machine. Get a can for $.75.

IF you go the grocery store you can get a 12-pack of pop for $3 or $4.

Yet you still buy that can of pop for $.75 or even a $1 because it's convenient.

I agree that the launch of the PS3 has helped Blu Ray, but is it really a good thing when people are using your game system mostly to watch movies. Plus, Blu Ray has gained an edge on HD-DVD, but it's not really making a huge dent in the world overall.
I don't agree that the PS3 should have waited to launch, though I wish Sony had been more concerned with games than the Blu Ray/HD-DVD war. However, I think financially it's smart to keep God of War 2 on the PS2, though I also raised the question at one point whether it'd be a good idea to move it to the PS3. However, I don't think it's fair to credit Nintendo for putting Zelda on the Wii because it's the same game as the Gamecube version for the most part, and also the delay of the game by Nintendo showed little regard for the people who bought the Gamecube. And I'm not talking about the month delay between the two releases, I'm talking about the delay of several months that clearly was a result of the Wii launch.
I own and definitely enjoy all three systems, but I have to say the only one of the three that didn't underwhelm at launch was the 360. Outside of the awful failure rate of the system (which is a major problem), it has delivered more on its promises than the other two systems.
The PS3 fell way short of those "target" videos from E3 2005 and made the mistake of not delivering any titles at launch that helped drive the PS2, whether it's Gran Turismo or Ratchet and Clank or all the big third-party games, which is something largely beyond Sony's control.
The Wii has no online gaming right now, a horrible infrastructure for online games in the future, and apologists for the system's graphics probably won't be apologizing in a year or so when the novelty of the control scheme has worn off. And while I really enjoy the system, I wonder how well anything not Nintendo will sell on it. I also question whether the Wii is a system designed to sell software. A large chunk of its owners will be happy to play Wii Sports and similar games. Plus, the system's lineup over the next six to eight months is pathetic, with games like Mario, Smash Brothers and Metroid probably a lot longer off than their current release dates.
I always thought that Microsoft should be ready with Halo 3 and a $100 price drop when the PS3 launched. Well, neither were necessary. But if Microsoft has both hammers ready next fall, I don't see how Nintendo or Sony will be able to compete. Nintendo has a tendency to release its big games at odd times (though I actually appreciate big games in the spring and summer), partly because they sell no matter what. And I don't see Sony having any killer app to compete with Halo 3, though as an owner of the system I hope some stuff is on the horizon that will wow me.

Great show as always guys. I agree that the Ps3 isn't selling at all in Jax, FL. I see them everywhere these days. Btw, I would like a copy of Mr Wright :) Objection!!

You guys seem to get really bored of each other, which makes for a very tedious podcast.

I have two suggestions:

1. Shorten the Podcast. Make the scripts a half an hour. Of course, if you're on a good conversation no reason to cut it short, you could go on for an hour if you liked, but you guys should feel free to end it after half an hour.

Maybe you could do two podcasts a week if you think people will be dissapointed in shortening the episodes.

2. Consider getting another host. Alot of the time one host will have nothing to contribute to the conversation, while the other host is pulling the weight, if you got a third host, this would happen less often, and you'd have more chances of someone bringing up something usefull, entertaining, or informative.

Oh, and Cheapy... I just noticed you look like a Japanese Animé character. You don't look Japanese, but you look like some Animé thing.

Also: Sonic reminded me of Burnout. Just not fun. I think Wombat's suggestions on how to make a sonic game were stupid, and it's a good thing he's not working for SEGA (no offence, Wombat, you know I love you.)

Also: I want a copy of Phoenix Wright!

I have to admit I never played Phoenix Wright and i only have heard about it through several times being mentioned in the CAGcasts but i would like to play it. As Wombat would say, Objection!

Still listening to the CAGcast, this weeks intro theme is tite, is this a CheapyD mix?

Last mix i remember being posted was ass n tetris which was good, hopefully this new mix heard in the cagcast will be available too. I think a new mix each week would be nice if it ain't much trouble.

My takes on the whole PS3 deal.

First, I think Sony was too high in the clouds with the entire Blu-Ray thing. Is blu-ray really nessisary? Maybe, maybe not. Do we really need 25gigs (or whatever the size is) for gaming at this current stage? Perhaps not.

That is, unless Sony is going to bring vanguard to the PS3. It weighs in on a computer HD at a whopping 20some gigs.

Also, I cant remember where I heard this from but both the 360 and the PS3 have only 512 main system memory to cope with. I dunno all the other specs like if its shared or not, but with that little memory, it would be rather hard trying to load super high end quality stuff in to either memory. The fact that the GoW is slow paced makes it far easier to pre-stream stuff off a DVD makes it far easier to do than fast action games. Even if the 360 had HD-DVD built in, it would most likely arrive to a similar problem, having a game take up a corner of space on a High def content media or running into issues trying to load a lot of super high def without slideshowing.
So, pretty much id agree with Wombat. Blu-ray as an optional media drive to the PS3 would the PS3 a very good deal against the 360.

Also, I think Sony is advertising the system a bit wrong, much like the PSP. (I think this came up in both this podcast and previous podcasts). Its being touted as a media player that plays games, where the PS2 was the other way around: A game center that also played DVDs. I also think that the floating PS3 commercials are rather cool, but they dont deliver much on what it is. An average joe would have no clue on what the PS3 is supposed to do. So, to me personally, there is more interest in getting a PS3 for movies than for gaming. It is cheaper than the cheapest Blu-Ray player.

Also, some interview in Game Informer with some designer guy brings up an interesting minor point with the PS3, the odd shape akes it look impressive but not as easy to accomidate to a current media system a person might have set up.

As for virtual Console... I think if they reduced the price by 200 wii Points id think the worth of buying is much nicer. Or maybe a montly rental cost like Gametap, where I can play most of thoe games for $10 plus some :D

Oh, since my PSP is lying around doing nothing for the past few months, i go for killzone! Rar

Saw those videos and never thought I would see such a grown man get excited over a toy....well guess that's Cheapy for ya.....I love the confused look on his face and "its so huge"..noticed you mad sure to coordinate that audio from the movie with your toy......Also very risque show this week...Handjob in the shower, huge bathroom......wonder what's next....

First Choice--Phoenix Wright 2 (DS)
Second Choice--Killzone (PSP)

Great show as usual.

Used to play laser blast all the time with my bro back in the day so thanks for that sound clip.

Burnout Sonic is hopefully what Sonic and the Secret Rings will be for the Wii...due out in Feb.

Sonic Mega Collecion is pretty sweet :)

Hook me up with some Phoenix Wright 2

My take on the PS3 situation is this, I believe that Sony wanted and should have released the PS3 in late 2007 but couldn't because:

A) They already delayed it once back in spring of '06 and didn't want to be called liars twice and face a PR nightmare

And

B) The decision to add Blue-ray meant they HAD to release it now in order to compete with HD-DVD.

Bottom line I feel this was about the bottom line. They made a business decision to release now based an questionable past judgment calls and were stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place.

Phoenix Wright 1 FTW!

So, I bought my wife (a casual gamer at best) a Nintendo DS for Christmas, along with Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. I've been doing what I can to draw her into this hobby as much as possible, for my own sake as well as hers.

We'd never just up and buy Phoenix Wright, but I think she might enjoy it, and if she does I'd pick up the first game for her too! (I'd also talk it up to my attached friends in similar situations.) So, I think you should send me that game, mostly for her...

Great podcast yet again. A little too much information on Cheapy's sex life but excellent nonetheless.

PHOENIX WRIGHT PLZ!

Great podcast, guys. I must say that I've got to agree with Wombat about GOW 2. As much as I've enjoyed the PS2, the PS3 library currently needs AAA content not only to justify its $499/$599 price tag, but to boost lagging console sales as well. I also find it very difficult to play previous gen games. As much as I want to play Psychonauts, Okami, FF12, GOW2 and Rogue Galaxy, I can't find the motivation especially since I got a new HDTV. Can anyone relate?

I noticed the Masterpiece Prime on the desk and the Quiksilver shirt...

My CAGcast question: Did you surf when you were here in NY? If you come back to visit I'll take you surfing in Jersey. I've been surfing jersey since I was 8. Manasquan inlet is an incredible break and deceptively good for our area.

No one would drive 2 hours to the video store? I know. I also know that it generally doesn't exactly require a lot of meticulous "planning" to download and watch a film. It's planning to watch a movie, not planning an invasion of Canada.

Besides that...

I know that you can start watching the movie before it's done downloading, and it'll finish while you are watching. Having to wait a half hour or an hour or whatever isn't really a hassle, and it beats having to get up and go somewhere. Yes, sometimes the downloads are slow, but this can often be circumvented by rebooting your console and reconnecting.

I know that going to the video store, whether it's 2 minutes or 2 hours away requires fuel, leaving the house, and worrying about returing it on time.

I know that once it's downloaded, you have two weeks to watch it before it expires. If you're insisting on "planning" your movie viewing experience, download it way ahead of time, then consult your datebook in your carefully arranged office drawer, then pick up your pen from your meticulously arranged-in-order-of-size desk set, and choose what optimal time and date would best work for you and enhance your movie viewing experience. "Oh, I'd want to watch that on Saturday, I'll download it now so I have it ready! Then I will go into my closet, pick out my clothes which are arranged according to color first and date of purchase second, and then leave to attend the orginizational skills seminar!"

And if you can't find the time within two weeks to watch it, you didn't want to see it in the first place.

Hardly a major hassle, and certainly not any WORSE than going to the video store.

No one would drive 2 hours to the video store? I know. I also know that it generally doesn't exactly require a lot of meticulous "planning" to download and watch a film. It's planning to watch a movie, not planning an invasion of Canada.

Besides that...

I know that you can start watching the movie before it's done downloading, and it'll finish while you are watching. Having to wait a half hour or an hour or whatever isn't really a hassle, and it beats having to get up and go somewhere. Yes, sometimes the downloads are slow, but this can often be circumvented by rebooting your console and reconnecting.

I know that going to the video store, whether it's 2 minutes or 2 hours away requires fuel, leaving the house, and worrying about returing it on time.

I know that once it's downloaded, you have two weeks to watch it before it expires. If you're insisting on "planning" your movie viewing experience, download it way ahead of time, then consult your datebook in your carefully arranged office drawer, then pick up your pen from your meticulously arranged-in-order-of-size desk set, and choose what optimal time and date would best work for you and enhance your movie viewing experience. "Oh, I'd want to watch that on Saturday, I'll download it now so I have it ready! Then I will go into my closet, pick out my clothes which are arranged according to color first and date of purchase second, and then leave to attend the orginizational skills seminar!"

And if you can't find the time within two weeks to watch it, you didn't want to see it in the first place.

Hardly a major hassle, and certainly not any WORSE than going to the video store.

Good show, as usual. One suggestion to Cheapy: I really think the chemistry during the shows would improve greatly if you were to at least try putting some effort into having an interest in what Wombat brings to the conversation. I mean, it seems pretty obvious that Wombat feels consistently ignored and shunned whenever he tries to interject something into the conversation, only to be shut down every time by an apathetic Cheapy.

Anyway, here is my blatant line of text hoping for a copy of Phoenix Wright. I *love* the first one.

[quote name='KaneRobot']No one would drive 2 hours to the video store?
QUOTE]

Yeah, this is not a very good comparison by Wombat. When you download a video (or even a game demo), you don't have to sit there and watch it download. You can go off and do something else (eat, sleep, watch tv, play a game) while the xbox and your internet connection do all the work. Driving to the video store (although arguably faster) requires me (and my car) to do all the work and that's time that could be better spent elsewhere.

My 360 can do alot of other things in addition to playing great games. And that's why I value it much more than any of my other systems (wii included). The more features and services they throw in, the better! I can choose to use them or not.

The problem with putting God of War 2 on the PS3 is that the conversion wouldn't have been as simple as upscaling the resolution. When they ported Twilight Princess from Gamecube to Wii, it wasn't as big of a deal because the Wii and Gamecube hardware are somewhat similar in their design therefore it consisted of just changing the controls. God of War 2 would have looked like garbage if they had just upscaled the resolution without touching the actual textures. Not only that but if they had decided to go all out with their conversion from a PS2 to a PS3 game it would have probably added 6-12 months of development time at a minimum and at that point the first God of War would have faded from gamer's memories to the point that they wouldn't have cared enough to buy a $500/$600 console to play it. That's kind of my take on it, I can't disagree that making God of War 2 a PS3 title would have helped their PS3 sales but it just wasn't practical for Sony.

As far as the contest goes, I'd like to win Killzone: Liberation.

I agree with rattlemonster, the lack of good games for the PS3 is its biggest problem. So far mine is a $600 Resistance player. I've had my X360 since launch and I don't remember there ever being a drought of good games for the system as exists now for the PS3. I was thrilled to see Sony fix the BC problem, that was huge. I thought they were strangely low-key about it though.

I have Army of Darkness and King Kong on HD-DVD and The Ballad of Ricky Bobby on Blue-Ray but I don't plan on buying any more of either format. I have an upconverting DVD player and neither BR or HD-DVD look significantly better than an upconverted standard DVD to me. I'm with Wombat, I want my consoles to play great games.

SOCOM 2, please.

I've been trying to get a Wii and a DS Lite for weeks. If I win Phoenix Wright II, I promise to purchase Phoenix Wright I as well. This will encourage an English release of Phoenix Wright III. I also pledge to purchase Elite Beat Agents and Brain Age.

So for the betterment of GAMING GOODNESS FOR ALL, you have to send me Phoenix Wright II. Case closed, no objections!

Tough one. I'll say:

Killzone

I'm REALLY tempted to say Phoenix Wright, but I got bored of the first one half way through and had to force myself to finish (I'm not a fan of PC style adventures). It was fun, but I'm not ready to play a second Phoenix Wright yet.

Gotta agree with Wombat. These downloadable "classics" are just ridiculously priced especially when you look at the bevy of compilation games that are out there. XBLA seriously needs to focus on new and unique stuff to keep it going strong. It looks like their heading in the right direction with games like Castle Crashers and Worms HD and Catan, but seriously those ten dollar and even five dollar classics are pissing me off to no end.

OBJECTION! This piece of evidence clearly contradicts the other posts. Phoenix Wright 2 should be mine.

yeah the downloadable old games I already own are WAY too expensive. this goes for both XBLA and wii store stuff. Frogger for ten bucks? eat my ass Konami.

(Phoenix Wright for DS, totally. Really wanted to pick up one of these games but for some reason never got around to it )

I agree with Wombat on the Sonic idea. Sega has always talked about Sonic's speed but what they didn't understand is that it's hard to control something fast and have the player jump from platform to platform, attack enemies, collect rings in 3d. I haven't tried any of the newer ones but I think they all use the analog stick to make Sonic run. That's a problem.

I posted in Sega's forum that they need to change the controls, possibly implementing a racing car style of control. The analog stick would only change the direction and you need to press a face button to make Sonic run, let it go and he starts to slow down. That way you can slow down and actually use the analog stick to move with more precision.

Hopefully the Sonic game for the Wii (it's suppose to feel more like a rail shooter) is a move in the right direction.

The PS3 would have tanked if it was released in 2007. By then MS could drop the price of the 360 and it's game library would be too big for Sony and it's launch titles. And it would go up against Halo 3.

And Killzone for the PSP FTW! The demo rocked. Konami should use it as a foundation for future 3d contra games.

Someone mentioned I may have posted in the wrong forum, but heres my lame attempt at winning a copy of Phoenix Wright:

I want a copy of Phoenix Wright 2 because I believe the game holds evidence that proves Phoenix Wright is my father :) Will you really deny a man his heritage? I really hope you will do the Wright thing and give me one of the copies.

Reason 2: I have bought just about every game you guys have positively reviewed. I donated money to the christmas charity, I also even joined and traded on sayswap, one of your ad partners. I shop occasionally using your links.

Reason 3: I donated 4 48hr live codes to fellow cags a whle back.

Reason 4: I own copies of Cubivore and Rez and love both of the games. I dig games with interesting gameplay mechanics.

Reason 5: I also cannot buy or find shoes anywhere for my big feet. I can sympathize with Cheapy. They dont make shoes for people with big wide feet. And I dont even live in Japan. New Balance rulez!

Lastly, I have turned so many people to your podcast.

--------------

I also hope they name the next game - Phoenix Wright: Kill 'Em All.

As someone who is only 3 months away from graduating law school and has brilliantly set up his final semester so that he only has class from Monday-Wednesday, I would love a free copy of Phoenix Wright to play on my 4-day weekends, as I'm a few months away from working 90-hour weeks. Enjoyed the podcast.

I think I'll have to request Phoenix Wright 2. I already have it, so that means that another potential contest winner who doesn't own it will have to go buy it, helping out sales. Or I'll just give it to my friend.

Great Cagcast as always.

My wife loved the first Phoenix Wright game. It is actually one of the only games she plays that isn't a puzzle game or viva pinata. I was thinking that if I was able to win a copy, I would have a great cheapass present to give her.

Excellent Cagcast as always, makes a slow day at work go by just a bit quicker.

P.S. I would love to get Phoenix Wright!

I'm playing through the first Phoenix Wright now, in part on Cheapy and Wombat's recommendations. It's lots of fun and I'd love to win the second game.

Phoenix Wright ! I'd love a copy.

I don't think Sony could wait. The reality is they need to win the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war.

HD-DVD would continue to pull ahead in sales since the Blu-Ray players are too expensive. They are using the PS3 as a trojan horse to get ahead.

Sony releasing God of War 2 for the PS2 has to be an enormous error on their part. That is probably the largest title besides Final Fantasy XIII for PS3 to be released this year.

I guess this just encourages people like myself to continue to play my PS2 and wait for the PS3 to drop in price.

Another great podcast guys. I'm glad to hear Wombat is moving up in the world and sharing his success with the rest of us CAGs.

ps - I need Phoenix Wright cause I'm a law student and can't even afford my books. Phoenix Wright is my only hope for passing any of my classes.

Since I'm just finishing up the first Phoenix Wright, it would great to roll right into the second one. :)

Good Lord, it seems I'm due for castration.

I was sitting at home last night, listening to the CAGcast while playing my JUST THEN downloaded copy of Comix Zone, when Wombat piped up and told me how flat-out stupid I was to buy that game on the VC. I've proven myself so stupid that my right to procreate has been revoked. Apparently I can expect shadowy representatives of some Human Gene Pool Protection Agency to stop by and do a little snipping.

Oh, well. Such is life.

This is what I get for ignoring all the retro game collections over the years, but being sucked into the Wii vortex of craziness. It's a fun place to be, but apparently not the cheapest...

Even though it's proven me completely brain dead, Comix Zone is actually pretty darn cool. So at least I'll lose my yarbles for a pretty good game.

I love free stuff, I want Killzone plz:booty:

This is the first CAG podcast I've listened to. I love it!

The discussion about sony delaying the ps3 is interesting, however I'd have think that the argument that things like the online would be further along and more games would be ready is incorrect. A system always has a slow-down after launch just like with the 360, and the wii has this problem as well. Also, the PSN wouldn't have demands made of it from the users until it is released. One thing that would have changed, would probably be stuff like thps8 having online MP. Oh well, I still enjoy it anyway.

Also, socom psp plz kthx.

Ah thank you for the CAGcast again.... love listening to it at work. When the CAGcast begain some lady at work whispers over at me, "are you playing video games?" and I said, "Naw, just listening to some guys TALK about video games."

Can anyone tell me what the intro tune was from today??? Sounds so familiar!!!

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Can anyone tell me what the intro tune was from today??? Sounds so familiar!!![/quote]

Check Cheapy's first post, it's a Space Harrier remix. He even included a download link.

[quote name='encendido5']Check Cheapy's first post, it's a Space Harrier remix. He even included a download link.[/quote]

Durrrr (me).:roll:

It's Friday afternoon. I'm retarded.

bread's done
Back