CAGcast #610: Ring Review and Run

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Outer Worlds, Modern Warfare, EA news, Avengers, and oh so much more!

Download (1 hr 25 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Wombat's Pants. Pants are Good.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Kaico and Cocosh - Ghostbusters (Club Edit)
Outro - 1980's Halloween Spooky Classic Commercials Part 2 Compilation

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Check out the CAGcast on YouTube for clips and complete episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my review for Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout on Nintendo Switch!

Atelier Ryza is a JRPG from our friends over at Koei Tecmo. It's about a young farm-girl, Ryza, who yearns for adventures with her friends, and finds a new passion in the form of studying alchemy.

The graphics are super vibrant and colorful, with lovely character designs. Lewd factor is pretty low.  Despite some of the early buzz about the character designs, it's overall rather tame.  There's one character in particular with a really ridiculous bosom, but overall there's no tone of lasciviousness or creep within the game that I've seen. The music, however, is my favorite part.  It's truly phenomenal and reminds me of theatrical animated films like Disney or Ghibli. There's no English dubbing however, and all of the voice acting is in Japanese with English subtitles.  This is slightly disappointing for a game of this size and caliber, but is better than not seeing the game released in the West at all.

Game-play sets up in two parts - combat is the usual Final Fantasy style ATB (active time battle) system, with attacks, spells, and items. You can set your party mates to aggressive or passive and they'll fight on their own, or you can switch to them directly to issue commands.  It's fast paced and really fun, and kept me looking for encounters just to keep playing with the battle system.  Enemies can be seen in advance, and if you approach them and strike them before they strike you, you'll earn a bonus to help in battle. There's a bit of an elemental strategy as well, and enemies have their own resistances and vulnerabilities.

The second half of the game-play is what makes the experience an Atelier game - the alchemy.  It's a fairly complex and complicated system but essentially you collect and find materials throughout the world - fuel, components, etc and put them together via recipes to form various helpful items, even armor and weapons. Depending on the quality and configuration of your raw materials you can create items of varying quality with different helpful effects and traits, such as HP and speed bonuses. Experimentation and tinkering go further than the in-game explanations.

Materials are found strewn about the game world, and glow or sparkle. You'll have the option to either directly gather them, or sometimes you'll have to use a tool such as an axe or scythe to harvest them. Once you get the hang of collecting materials and progress far enough to start getting more recipes or altering current ones, you'll rarely have to visit a shop. You'll be able to craft nearly everything  you need for your adventure yourself.

The story is quite delightful, albeit a bit meandering. The game early on presents very little urgency and is content to linger in a very slice-of-life vibe.  However, I found it rather relaxing just wandering around looking for materials to harvest and plugging them into various recipes to see what new effects I could unlock.  I really felt no rush to progress in the story.  There were a few occasions where I was trying to get to a specific location and kept getting interrupted by multiple cut-scenes because I hadn't progressed down the story path in a while.

Speaking of, once you progress to a certain point in the story, you'll be able to establish a hideout of your own, which you can customize and decorate, lending another aspect to capture a great deal of your time, and which seeming has an expanded future with DLC, and looks to include various attire skins for your characters as well.

Atelier Ryza is a lighthearted, somewhat standard-fare, but mechanically deep JRPG.  It's fun to look at and even better to listen to. The story begins a new chapter in the Atelier saga, so it's the perfect jumping on point for newcomers.  It's a bit slow to start, but with no time limits you're free to experiment and learn on your own, which is good, as the in-game tutorials are a bit lacking and do it no favors. Once all of the systems are unlocked and come into play you're left with lots to explore and create.  If you're a fan of the genre, and especially the Atelier series, it's a solid entry.

My takeaway from this episode is that people need to stop asking for the Snyder Cut and start asking for the Herbie Boobie cut

Welcome to the side of the man Wombat.

Shipwreck, the ghost skulls in Borderlands 3 are driving my wife crazy, we are just trying to play campaign. I searched for a way to turn it off and they didn’t give an option. You are stuck with the skulls until the event ends even if you just want to play the campaign.

What a fantastic episode. I was laughing solid for about the first 20 minutes. 

While I usually agree with everything Wombat says about games and disagree with everything he says about non-gaming news,  as someone who works in the ad industry, I actually agree 100% with his take on the g/o media situation. I do also agree with Ship that the "complain to our ceo about our ceo's method of revenue generation" article shouldn't ever have been published though. 

Cheapy mentions a Kotaku article and asks Wombat for his professional opinion.  At no point does anyone explain the article or the issue.  It was like 10 minutes of listening to the grownups on a Peanuts holiday special.  You can't assume that your audience reads Kotaku or is up on the latest gaming controversy.  You have to at least give some some of recap on the story before discussing why it happened.

I think G/O Media knew darn well about the autoplay audio in their ads as anybody who has used Gizmodo Media sites during the Univision years knew about the autoplay but silent videos. It's a good reason how they boosted metrics to Farmers' Insurance about "43 million views", because regular readers were a captive audience! Users on the Discord mentioned how much they hated the pop up ads, where the top 50% of the screen was blocked by some gif ad, and then after reading the article for like 30 seconds, another pop up ad appeared. Spanfeller and his team knew what he was doing when he tried to bring a bat to the beehive to shake out more honey.

Compare how Kotaku works to Out.com, the ads are in your face, while Wombat's site places them in the periphery, letting me read the articles with little trouble. Reading things on the internet has to be done at a quick pace, but reading Kotaku is a snail's pace due to the bombardment of ads. Adspace used to be treated like classy real-estate, and hey bring on the popups!

Just listened to an older CAG and you mentioned a Japanese place with fried ice cream that was rolled in blueberry muffin?! I live in Queens, whats the name please! ;) Long time lisenter, catching up to the latest soon

Cheapy did you dress up as ONE PUNCH MAN for Halloween?

NsDe5pi.jpg

Cheapy mentions a Kotaku article and asks Wombat for his professional opinion. At no point does anyone explain the article or the issue. It was like 10 minutes of listening to the grownups on a Peanuts holiday special. You can't assume that your audience reads Kotaku or is up on the latest gaming controversy. You have to at least give some some of recap on the story before discussing why it happened.
Yeah, but I like listening to the grownups on a Peanuts holiday special, LOL.

For those curious, it's from 56:04 to 1:04:31 and I think the article in question has been removed from Kotaku but I think this is the google cache.

bread's done
Back