CAGcast #74: Wombat's 30th Birthday Pachtacular

I always thought it was pronounced "strat-eh-go" not "stra-tee-go"

Pronounced like "strategy" but with a "go" instead of a "jee" at the end.

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2868026&postcount=38

CheapyD, you better go into Pokemon open-minded. I don't know if the Diamond/Pearl ones are any good, because I don't have them yet, but the games are absolutely fanatastic. Seriously, I can't believe you guys have missed out on them.

If you don't like Diamond/Pearl, still pick up Gold/Silver or Red/Blue (for the Gameboy Color).

I heard that the newer ones with 4 pokemon per fight aren't as good as the classic ones. Personally I haven't played since Gold. Which was fucking fantastic, btw. Absolutely loved that game.

another vote for talkshoe here, i mentioned it in a cagbag question a while back but you skipped that part when you read my question :(

If Wombat picked up Pokemon for the DS now it'd have to be Pearl to complement Cheapy's copy of Diamond. I love the idea that in this game you can catch Palkia (A rare, hard to get Pokemon) in a Poke-Ball (the weakest, most common ball), which I did.

Happy B-day Wombat, and hopefully, that video will come soon.

I fail to see how Nintendo is the winner, Sony is the loser, and Microsoft is somewhere in the middle when Microsoft has more than 50% of the market share, record-breaking blockbuster titles, and a paying group of XBL subscribers shoveling them money.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I always thought it was pronounced "strat-eh-go" not "stra-tee-go"

Pronounced like "strategy" but with a "go" instead of a "jee" at the end.[/quote]

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to... I've always known it as stra-tee-go myself, but I guess I see where you're coming from.

Happy Birthday! Don't let them get you down Wombat, there wouldn't be a CAGcast without you. Now go get to work with that new gift :D By the way, I thought you were going to let Mr. Analyst have it, but I guess it wouldn't be cool to taunt a guest, lol.

I have something to say regarding David Jaffe:

I am so fed up with his mouth. He's made two good games. TWO! But- apparently- if you aren't completely enamored with his games, you're wrong. Somebody really needs to put this pridefull douche in his place. You think Miyamoto would badmouth someone for not liking his game? No. If you can't handle people critiquing your work, THEN DON'T MAKE WORK FOR THEM TO CRITIQUE! David Jaffe is no visionary; he's just some jackass one-hit (I guess two-hit) wonder.

PS: Wombat's the shit.

I'm looking forward to hearing this on my commute tomorrow! It makes the drive much more enjoyable. :)

wow, wombat did you get that mic and that levels thingy on your desk just for the cagcast or is it stuff you had lying around already? It's weird seeing wombat on video, while I'm listening to the cagcast I always picture a talking version of the wombat avatar talking to the real life cheapyd. seeing the man in motion is jarring.

Wow. I have no idea why but that was a really cool vid to watch. Man do I love the CAGcast.

I must say: I was hoping I'd get a little Mrs. Wombat action on the vid, though. I've already seen a bit of Mrs. Cheapy reflection.

Also: you guys should do a live show (at least you know, once, or once a month or something). All you have to do is get a program that broadcasts your audio into an MP3 stream. I've broadcasted a live show before with a friend in another location. It's not hard at all, it just rips the audio right from Skype, your mic, and whatever other programs you want it to rip from.

I'm not sure what program that would be on Windows (I'm a mac guy myself), but get that, then stream it to a server (or set up your PC as a server -- very very easy, the program should do that automatically). I doubt you'd need too much bandwidth what with the time that you tape at (isn't it really early in the morning?)

So yeah, it's a good idea, at least for one go-round, and believe me: it's not hard at all.

I know you guys do some weird thing where you mix each other's audio together. You could just not do that for the live shows, and still put up the high-quality version for download.

PM me if you need help.

Happy Birthday and congratz Wombat! It's the first time in my life ever seeing someone else getting a free system and be happy about it. Yay!

Great show guys. Having Pachter on the show really helped me see the video game industry from a different perspective even if I didn't agree with everything Packter had to say.

As for Wombat's gift, good form Cheapy! I had a feeling you were going to get Wombat a PS3. Gratz Wombat.

CheapyD! Not only did Wombat trick you into doing the CAGcast, he also tricked you and is now stealing your monies in gift form!

Awesome Gift BTW Cheapy :D

Wow, no wonder you can always hear Mrs. Wombat, she has no place to go in that very very very tiny ass apartment. fuck that shit about playing more games, you need to get a bigger place to house that PS3 it's so big! Also Mr. M was quite good.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Wow, no wonder you can always hear Mrs. Wombat, she has no place to go in that very very very tiny ass apartment. fuck that shit about playing more games, you need to get a bigger place to house that PS3 it's so big! Also Mr. M was quite good.[/QUOTE]

thats how apartments in Manhattan are unless you're ridiculously wealthy. you can have studio apartments (one room for everything) for 1500 dollars a month and thats probably an optimistic estimate. I'd be interested in knowing how much Cheapy's apartment in Tokyo costs.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I fail to see how Nintendo is the winner, Sony is the loser, and Microsoft is somewhere in the middle when Microsoft has more than 50% of the market share, record-breaking blockbuster titles, and a paying group of XBL subscribers shoveling them money.[/quote]

Well, for starters, Microsoft is still losing money on every console it sells where as Nintendo is making $50+ on every Wii; Nintendo is raking in money from the DS in addition to the Wii; and the percentage of 360 owners who actually subscribe to XBL and use the marketplace is relatively small. So you see...

This was a truly great CAGcast. It was really fun to hear genuine joy, surprise, and gratitude from Wombat as he opened his PS3. You could tell he was caught a little off guard (as we heard in weeks previous, there was some expectation that his wife would be getting a PS3 for him...but by no means a sure thing). I was happy for him and proud of Cheapy for splashing out on a really generous gift.

I found Pachter to be somewhat full of himself at first, but he backed that up by proving to be more than knowledgable about what's going on in the industry and blessed with a good bit of common sense. Cheapy and Wombat conducted the interview well and I found it very interesting. To the poster skipping the interviews: you have no right to complain when you don't actually listen.

I went after Hex in his thread for his Wombat hate, but I will give him props for realizing that he went too far, reconsidering, and apologizing. If more people on message boards could do that, the Internet would much friendlier place.

Great show but a minor complaint (what would a post be here without it, besides unabashed ass-kissing?)

While I have really enjoyed the interviews, I hate splitting them up in 2 parts. I could understand if they actually were 2 part interviews but it seems you are just cutting them up to for a forced break. Often I lose track of the discussion in the "break" and generally, the flow of the interview is lost.

Any thought to releasing them as complete stand alone podcasts? almost 2 hours is a lot to listen to at once.

p.s. Happy B-Day Wombat.

Great show per usual. Screw the haters, Wombat is the perfect ying to Cheapy's yang.

Speaking of ying and yang, did anyone else notice that Cheapy kept calling the Wii hoarders Chinese? Isn't he in Japan?

[quote name='Like A Breath']
Speaking of ying and yang, did anyone else notice that Cheapy kept calling the Wii hoarders Chinese? Isn't he in Japan?[/quote]

It's because the Chinese are the ones in Japan that mainly horde systems so they can sell in their country or online at a huge profit. Just like when the PS3 released, about half of those people on those launch lines were Chinese buying it just to sell. Well, most did that anyway but they are known for that.

Good show guys! Happy Birthday Wombat! :applause:

To that guy who said that the Cagcast would better without wombat:

are you fucking insane?

Don't get me wrong, wombat gets annoying once in awhile, but no offense to cheapy, wombat is like the pepperoni of the cag cast. He add FLAVOR. Without him, it would be just a cheese pizza: good, but missin sumtin. Sumtin big. And to think of a cagcast with cheapy blabbering about robo cop toys and such would be so lame. So don't be all like "look we're cool, we don't like wombat," wombat should stay.

Oh ya and wombat do you watch the TV show "Lost"? You kinda look like the guy who plays ben when hes wearing glasses.

fuckin Awesome !!! theres a reaction for you Wombat. Happy 30th , that was a sweet gift. looks like Cheapy's heart is as big as he is.
I just want to say that the cagcast is funny and entertaining and the both of you have great chemistry, so don't let the haters get you down Mr. Wombat. jealousy is an ugly beast. btw I loved the yodeling bumper before the interview . Call of Duty 4 will definetly go the pc route resulting in more dead Mexicans. Now can we get a 30 person CAG FRAGFEST in Resistance ?

Happy Birthday Wombat and great show as always guys. Having the ananylst on was very cool, and thought me some things about the industry!

O - M - G CheapyD,

What did Wombat do in order to recieve such an amazing gift? Has he performed sexual favors that would only taint my eyes if I would have seen it occur?

That is very generous of you. And I am thanking you on Wombats behalf cause he wasnt nearly as excited as he should have been. Thats a sweet gift. And the PS3 does kick ass...

The interface blows all the others out of the water. And Ninja Gaiden sigma is sweet...

P.S Wombat is sureee slightly un pretty... I thought he was a tight young lad that kind of had child like features. His voice surely makes him seem like a small likeable fellow.

He looks like an angry Jew Nerd.

Sorry WOMBAT no offence...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']That is very generous of you. And I am thanking you on Wombats behalf cause he wasnt nearly as excited as he should have been. Thats a sweet gift. And the PS3 does kick ass...[/QUOTE]
He seemed a lot more excited in the vid, for some reason.

If there is such a thing as the perfect CAGcast, this would have to be it. The length is just right, the humor is all there without any of the childishness, the interview was interesting and insightful, and Wombat proved to be the ultimate mooch when he bagged a free PS3 from Cheapy! I think you guys have finally found your stride. The format of the show is near flawless now and everything flows smoothly from one topic to the next. Nicely done, Cheapy and Wombat.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']O - M - G CheapyD,

What did Wombat do in order to recieve such an amazing gift? Has he performed sexual favors that would only taint my eyes if I would have seen it occur?

That is very generous of you. And I am thanking you on Wombats behalf cause he wasnt nearly as excited as he should have been. Thats a sweet gift. And the PS3 does kick ass...

The interface blows all the others out of the water. And Ninja Gaiden sigma is sweet...

P.S Wombat is sureee fucking ugly. I thought he was a tight young lad that kind of had child like features. His voice surely makes him seem like a small likeable fellow.

He looks like an angry Jew Nerd.

Sorry WOMBAT no offence...[/quote]

lol
Yeah, you look like the bottom of my shoe after I stepped in sh(t, no offence ok. Wombat my man, you get no breaks. Hey Fabio Darknessbear post of pic of your self.

Great CAGcast this week guys. Holy shit Cheapy, what an amazing gift for Wombat. Although I doubt it set Cheapy back that much since I think he makes the most money on the Amazon referrals (if I remember him saying that back on an old CAGcast). It will help the show now that Wombat has all three systems, and of course it's not too shabby for Wombat either.

As far as people asking for glimpses of Mrs. Wombat, check the pic to the right of Wombat in the unboxing video.

[quote name='lokizz']yo cheapy if you want to see spiderman 3 game footage find someone with comcast on demand ppv access. they have some free video footage of in game action in and out of the black suit and they show you soem fo the moves as well as this sick video of the guy playing the game tying up a badguy with 4 different web strings ( one for each limb and then beating on the guy) to 4 different light poles. you have to go to the section where you order ppv movies and then select the spiderman 3 section. its all free and worth checking out and the game looks to be goign in all the right directions. ive also heard you can play as harry osbourne green goblin in the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm still working through the episode but I wanted to mention this as part of the Spidey 3 discussion. You see, there is a business reason why you haven't seen Spidey game coverage in magazines and websites, and it's not all because of spoiling plot points in the movie.

Comcast signed an agreement with Sony Pictures to be the exclusive provider of Spiderman 3 content to drive subscriptions and ON DEMAND traffic. That included exclusive first-look footage of the game, to be offered simultaneously through GameInvasion.net, a Comcast-owned gaming website.

So, when EGM blamed Sam Raimi for holding back content, it wasn't because he wasn't ready to show it. They were finalizing the deal with Comcast, and he was just answering to the lawyers at Sony because of this deal. I don't know if EGM were unaware of a deal in the works at the time or just crying sour grapes because they couldn't get their screenshots.

Here's the press release.

One suggestion I had for future shows that include interviews: Could you guys set aside some time after you play both parts of the interview to maybe do a wrap up, giving your opinions on what you learned, the ramifications of what the guest said, etc. (to be clear, this would be done during the recording of the actual show). It's kind of jarring to get to the end of the interview and then one of you says "Welp, there ya go" and then you just move on to the News Blast or whatever and it's never spoken of again. Doesn't flow well.

In general, it might be a good idea to rejigger the show outline sometimes to accomodate interviews. For instance, this week, it might have been prudent to get through the whole interview first, THEN do the News Blast and Big 3 discussions, incorporating the very relevant observations Pachter contributed during the interview. I think at one point early in the show (during the Nintendo discussion) you were discussing Nintendo's inability to ramp up manufacturing of the DS and Wii. That discussion would have been a little better had you incorporated Pachter's analysis, which really shed light on what was happening there.

I think you guys should do the interview in its entirety instead of cutting it up... also putting it at the very end of the podcast so people who do not want to listen to it can turn the show off once the interview starts. I'm not a fan of the interview segments at all.

[quote name='lspear76']I think you guys should do the interview in its entirety instead of cutting it up... also putting it at the very end of the podcast so people who do not want to listen to it can turn the show off once the interview starts. I'm not a fan of the interview segments at all.[/quote]

Everybody complaining about an interview. It is a shame that they may learn something while listening to the Cagcast. I loved the interview and hope there are more, a fuck ton more. It pushes Cagcast past that enthusiast level and intcreases the level of PR / Marketing appeal.More sponsors may come after seeing that you are interviewing important people in the industry. The interview I am waiting for are those guys from PlayAsia. Lets hear their view on import games and reselling games.

[quote name='Tybee'] To the poster skipping the interviews: you have no right to complain when you don't actually listen.

[/quote]

I try to listen, it's just too painful.

I just feel the interviews break up the wonderful chemistry between Cheapy and Wombat, and I say the more we get of that, the better.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I try to listen, it's just too painful.

I just feel the interviews break up the wonderful chemistry between Cheapy and Wombat, and I say the more we get of that, the better.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the interviews are usually pretty awkward at the beginning... a bit less once they get going... but still awkward. CheapyD needs to work on his interviewing skills. He'll get it down eventually. It's tough when you're doing something over the net.

However, if you listened through the first few painful minutes you can get to the good stuff inside.

I really don't think it's a matter of Cheapy's interviewing skills, because they actually are pretty good. It's the subject matters I guess.

I skipped the gaming violence one because it's a topic that has been done and done and done a billion times before. I then skipped this one because, now correct me if i'm wrong, I thought the prevailing attitude held by both Cheapy and Wombat were that analysts were full of shit and said either really stupid things or just stated the obvious. The few minutes that I did listen, I pictured Wombat sweating and biting his hand, trying not to scream out "ANAYLISTS ARE FULL OF SHIT!"

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I really don't think it's a matter of Cheapy's interviewing skills, because they actually are pretty good. It's the subject matters I guess.

I skipped the gaming violence one because it's a topic that has been done and done and done a billion times before. I then skipped this one because, now correct me if i'm wrong, I thought the prevailing attitude held by both Cheapy and Wombat were that analysts were full of shit and said either really stupid things or just stated the obvious. The few minutes that I did listen, I pictured Wombat sweating and biting his hand, trying not to scream out "ANAYLISTS ARE FULL OF SHIT!"[/quote]
Honestly, when this interview started, I was ready for some major league BS, but after some initial chest beating by Pachter about how he's the best at what he does, he did, in fact, lay some knowledge on me. He provided the most concise and sensible explanation I've yet heard as to why Nintendo can't keep up with demand and what they should do (or not do). He had a very rational view of the industry in general and threw out all sorts of interesting points, such as why the Xbox Elite was a mistake on Microsoft's part, the questions regarding the future of Guitar Hero/Rock Band, etc. It was definitely worth a listen.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I really don't think it's a matter of Cheapy's interviewing skills, because they actually are pretty good. It's the subject matters I guess.

I skipped the gaming violence one because it's a topic that has been done and done and done a billion times before. I then skipped this one because, now correct me if i'm wrong, I thought the prevailing attitude held by both Cheapy and Wombat were that analysts were full of shit and said either really stupid things or just stated the obvious. The few minutes that I did listen, I pictured Wombat sweating and biting his hand, trying not to scream out "ANAYLISTS ARE FULL OF SHIT!"[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I have no sympathy for you anymore.

fucking listen before you make judgments, m'kay?

You're impressions are completely wrong. And the fact that you're impressed with Cheapy's interviewing skills scares me.

What judgements am I making that are overbearing as a result of not listening?

And what's wrong with Cheapy's interviewing skills? You make accusations without backing them up.

I hate to sound to absurdly effusive in my praise--since I'm already a well-documented CAGcast fanboy--but this was my favorite episode ever. That seems really bizarre considering there's nothing much going on in the world of games, but it's true.

Both of you were at the top of your game, in good spirits, and the rapport was excellent. The interview with Pachter was perfectly conducted, which is notable because I've seen him come off very dry in some other interviews. And you accomplished something I haven't really experienced in any other gaming podcast: I was actually kind of touched by the "ungifting" segment.

Pop this one in the time capsule for future reference.

[quote name='ramatut4001']
I have no beef with Wombat. He's the Flavor Flav to Cheapy's Chuck D.[/QUOTE]

Yeah boi! Well stated.

Re: interviews--I suppose I can understand if someone thinks the shift from joking around to serious questioning is a bit jarring, but once the interviews get going they have been consistently entertaining and insightful. The Pachtman had some great comments on the industry from his unique financial perspective.

I like the GameFly idea for the two of you but don't stop playing older games. I want to hear why Wombat goes back to a game like Ultimate Alliance after playing it so much. I want to hear about the games you play because you like them, not necessarily because they're new.

The Micheal Pachter interview wasn't as lively as the one with the Doctor but it picked up at the end when you asked him the questions about the big three.
I wish you had asked him why Microsoft is trying to go up against the PS3 in the high end rather than lower the price of the 360 and try to get some of the former gen holdouts, potential PS2 buyers, and potential Wii buyers to "Jump In".

[quote name='jrutz']I'm still working through the episode but I wanted to mention this as part of the Spidey 3 discussion. You see, there is a business reason why you haven't seen Spidey game coverage in magazines and websites, and it's not all because of spoiling plot points in the movie.

Comcast signed an agreement with Sony Pictures to be the exclusive provider of Spiderman 3 content to drive subscriptions and ON DEMAND traffic. That included exclusive first-look footage of the game, to be offered simultaneously through GameInvasion.net, a Comcast-owned gaming website.

So, when EGM blamed Sam Raimi for holding back content, it wasn't because he wasn't ready to show it. They were finalizing the deal with Comcast, and he was just answering to the lawyers at Sony because of this deal. I don't know if EGM were unaware of a deal in the works at the time or just crying sour grapes because they couldn't get their screenshots.

Here's the press release.[/quote]

i guess i can see why egm and other places would be mad but at least no other magazine is gettign it. still its cool to see the stuff in action thats got to be a first though a cable company getting a scoop on a game before a magazine or game website. if i could figure out a way to get quality copies of the footage i would but id like to know if i could get into any legal trouble doing it. the games gonna have context sensitive action sequences in the game and more arial and web based moves. and the venom suit moves look awesome and are more agressive.

Wow, that show was a new high-water mark for the CAGcast. The interview with Michael Pachter was really interesting. I think lots of gamers assume that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are all doing dumb/crazy things sometimes, but Mr. Pachter really gave some great insight into the different strategies of each company and why they do business the way they do. I also like the Wombat birthday surprise, he seemed genuinely blown away, which was kinda sweet.

(If Mr. Pachter is on again, please ask him about the hardware reliability issues with the 360. I would love to hear his thoughts on that.)

The only downer was the time given to the wombat haters. Maybe he deserved it for the vagina clown comment, I dunno. I thought it was funny. Don't go too professional guys, the show would be less entertaining without the updates on your masturbation habits, your wives' firmware status (please email me the upgrade), and poking fun at the Ronald McDonald vagina clowns of the video game industry.

I don't know about the comments that everyone has that one game they would be willing to pay a full $50-$60 retail price for. The only games I've ever paid that kind of cash for had a unique incentive bonus (Ocarina of Time pre-order disc for example) or a special trade-in credit deal. Without an added incentive of some sort, I would never pay full-price at launch for any game.

I didn't like hearing all the crap said about Wombat, and It broke my heart a little listing to Wombat admit to being hurt by them too. I dunno what it is about the show but I feel attached in a way to you guys. not in a gay way. It added a new dimension in a positive way to the cagcast seeing Wombat on Video. Happy Birthday Wombat!

bread's done
Back