CAGcast #75: Playing with Our Wizards

CheapyD & Wombat that was a really entertaining show. While I liked the interviews, I would say that doing an interview one week but then going back to the format of the two of you just talking between the two of you is good also.

As for Major Nelson and E, I like the show and I like listen regularly, but it must be very easy to turn a deaf ear to people complaining that they have pay for content, when you get to preview all of it for FREE! Maybe if E had to pay for the games he has for all three of his XBox 360s he may not be quite as happy about paying for content such as map packs, and downloadable content.

I too am a Pokemon virgin that is until GameFly sent me Pokemon Pearl earlier this week. I never really understood why so many people were so crazy about this game. But now almost fifteen hours later, I see this addiction with clarity like never before. The light RPG elements and the collection aspect of the game make this a super fun game. If you do not have any Pokemon experience there is definitely a small learning curve. But once you get the basic concepts of the game down, it hooks you in and everything else in your life seems to be relegated to a distant second place in life.

Wombat’s comments about the PS3 interface are interesting. The interface is much faster then the XBox 360. It seems that when you switch blades in the 360 you have to wait for things to count or load. Where as the PS3 you see the lists pop up right away, but you do have to wait for a short period of time for the icons or thumb nails to load. What’s that? The phone is ringing? “Hello?” Oh it’s the year 1995 calling to say that the Playstation Network Store website looks really great, and looks really high tech and fancy! Honestly I would think that Sony would have created a much nicer online experience for buying content. The website oh I am sorry the Playstation Store is slow and needs a serious face lift, it looks like the first proto types of iTunes way back in the day when iPod’s had scroll wheels. This is more of a question to other CAGs out there, do you find that the SIXAXS controller seems kind of small in your hands? I find it hard to wrap my hands around the controller and it just does not have the same feel as the old XBox controller or the XBox 360 controller. I wish the controller was just a little bigger. Just a thought.

Wombat thank god I am not the only one asking myself what water head retard laid out the control format for Resistance Fall of Man, and Call of Duty 3 on the PS3. At least with Resistance you can remap the controls. But with Call of Duty 3 I got to the second mission and I as frustrated as a midget at an NBA dunking contest, so I sent the game back and bought it for the XBox 360 where people know what a trigger is. In talking about Resistance I like the game but I think that it does not capture the chaos of war like Call of Duty 3. And part of playing a WWII shooter game is to not have all the high tech weapons but to use a bolt action rifle where you have to aim carefully, not to have all the new and high tech weapons that you have in modern warfare. It will be interesting to see how Call of Duty 4 plays, and if it does as poorly as Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on the consoles.

Wombat, wouldn’t it be great if “A Fist Full of Dollars”, “The Good the Bad and the Ugly”, and “A Few Dollars More” came out on Blu-Ray. I love those movies. In a Fist Full of Dollars when Clint Eastwood looks up and tells all four guys that they need to apologize to his mule. That is classic cinema.

CMorrigu, I will both agree and disagree with your statement about Gamefly. I use both services Gamefly is nice because you can buy used games from them a whole lot cheaper then you can at most used game stores. I think today I checked an you could buy Gears of War for $26.99, I also have Spiderman 3 for the XBox 360 and could purchase that for $42.99 and that is a brand new disk. So if you use the service as a try before you buy it quickly pays for itself just in money that you save in buying games. And if you count the money you save in sending back games that pretty much suck, you can really start saving some serious money. BlockBuster is nice also but I find that $30 a month is kind of steep, and not all of the Blockbuster stores will offer that deal. And the selection of games at BlockBuster at least the two stores in my town have a very limited selection of games. It took me three week to get a copy of Marvel Ultamate Alliance for the PS3. But it would be nice to play a game for a couple of hours and if it sucked take it back and get a different game to play.
You can add me to your friends list, I have Resistance and Motorstorm.

mik, Oh my god Planet Earth series is so well done. It is a must have for anyone that has Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. I have both and rented one disk on Blu-Ray then the next on HD-DVD. So I watched two disks of the series on each format. Honestly I could not tell much of a visual or audio difference, but I think when I buy it I am going to buy it on Blu-Ray. Don't ask me why though.

Great show, as always. I only ask that you bring back the hype wagon. It's good to hear Cheapy and Wombat excitedly talking about an upcoming game and what makes it cool. Plus, it can highlight games I haven't really heard of.

Great show. Dead Rising was a great game. I cannot wait for part 2. I do agree that I hope the downloadable content and the part 2 version have a no time limit mode. They should include both a timed version and free roaming version in the next game.

[quote name='gunm']You know, now that I think about it, I think giving Wombat his PS3 for free adversely affects his feeling about it.

Not that he shouldn't have one for free, but I'm saying that not having anything invested in the system beyond his time, he can afford to be unabashedly positive about it.

If I got a PS3 for free I know I would love it long time. I would hug it and squeeze it and call it Georgette.[/quote]

I most definitely agree. I think if a PS3 fell from the sky and then I was asked to review it my opinion would be WAY more positive and forgiving from someone who had to pay money actual for such a relatively expensive piece of equipment.

While Wombat's totally entitled to his opinion I feel he isolated himself from the 99% of the CAG listeners who won't be so fortunate. To put things into perspective he could have chosen to give his opinion from both perspectives as in a typical game or console review where price versus value to customer is considered.

[quote name='sinewav']I most definitely agree. I think if a PS3 fell from the sky and then I was asked to review it my opinion would be WAY more positive and forgiving from someone who had to pay money actual for such a relatively expensive piece of equipment.

While Wombat's totally entitled to his opinion I feel he isolated himself from the 99% of the CAG listeners who won't be so fortunate. To put things into perspective he could have chosen to give his opinion from both perspectives as in a typical game or console review where price versus value to customer is considered.[/quote]
Why does Wombat have to present two opinions when Cheapy has the perspective that's opposite from Wombat's perspective? Cheapy paid for his PS3 while Wombat got his as a gift.

hrm...

"in my office building, i'm on level 20. three with my wizard tech geek came and fixed my computer..."

wasn't this... what was asked? =X

GIVE ME FREE STUFF

Cheapy, thanks for the recommendation a couple of CAGcasts ago about Saint's Row. 2 weekends ago when the price drop first hit I picked it up used in the b2g1 free EB sale. I've enjoyed that game immensely, and never would have tried it if you hadn't mentioned it on the podcast. I'm about 1/2 way through the 3rd gang with just a couple of districts under another gang's control. I'm glad I waited on this game, too--I think I'm having such a great experience because the game has been patched up so much since release.

Incidentally, you also were asking who would want to move to Washington when talking about Luke Smith a couple of weeks ago. Well, 3 months ago I did just that, and this place is great. Wonderful people, wonderful job opportunities, wonderful stuff to do. It's not NYC, but in many ways that's a good thing. In fact, I'm taking a day off tomorrow and going to see the Microsoft Visitor's Center in Redmond--They're supposed to have a decent 360 exhibition there.

WOMBAT! ON RESISTANCE: Press START go to CONTROLS

AND CHANGE THE BUTTTTON Layouts TO TRIGGERS!!!

Why didnt you think of that!?

...thats what I did in the first 5 minutes of gameplay...

And don't say, "Well they should have made it to begin with" its what the ratchet and clank controlls are and Killzone. They both use R1.

ROARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOMBAT! ON RESISTANCE: Press START go to CONTROLS

AND CHANGE THE BUTTTTON Layouts TO TRIGGERS!!!

Why didnt you think of that!?

...thats what I did in the first 5 minutes of gameplay...

Hey Cheapy,
You mentioned that you made a movie on videogame violence in college. I thought it was relevant that I wrote a report on the same topic! I got it back today and my grade was an A!

[quote name='etm42']Hey Cheapy,
You mentioned that you made a movie on videogame violence in college. I thought it was relevant that I wrote a report on the same topic! I got it back today and my grade was an A![/quote]

I wrote my Final Research Paper on that to and my Highschool paper on that.

Its an easy subject for us. And I got a B on it in my College.

Man, you guys need to push back the CagCast a day because it seems all the big news comes out late Tuesday/early Wednesday just to spite you guys.

Dear Mr. CheapyD and MR. Wombat,
i know one of you guys are playing halo 3 beta at the moment. i wonder if they were both battleing to death. they are late on cagcast for many hours starting now. CheapyD are going to buy robocop suit someday, it will make you in the next robocop film. tell us about spiderman since missed out last week talk in which say much about. cheapyd do you miss english or american televsion. do you don't have to answer any of these questions. but i hope you will talk about my message from few days , about target policy.

bread's done
Back