CAGcast #770: Press “X” to Venus

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
fuck adding the show notes to the forum Cheapy, add it to the app again man! (But seriously anything is better than nothing)

Also, I watched Telemarketers a few days ago, not sure if you ever finished it, but it was weird as shit and I learned a lot more about how horrible that business model is than I ever needed to know, including how horrible your life has to go to end up working at a company like that.

I absolutely agree with Cheapy and Wombat's review of Starfield.

I was telling my buddy a few days ago that it is like Fallout without the flavor.

It's like Skyrim without the pleasant vibes.

You were right in describing it as sterile, and I do believe the constant load screens and fast travel are a large part of that.  I thought the failed illusion of scope was a good description you guys had.

Even Shipwreck, who barely played it, had the game's number.  I could not handle the contrived first day on the job, here is a space ship part.  But I played through for several more hours to my own regret.

Freelancer was a game from roughly 20 years ago that captured the scale of space travel and had very satisfying space dogfights.  I was hoping for that meets Fallout.  Instead, we got a game that I so wanted to like, but ultimately decided it was boring.

Also Ship, I recommend spending more time with Baldur's Gate 3 on PC.  It is full of joy and fun moments.  As for Wombat and PS5, that control interface sounds too frustrating to deal with.

Also, first time every commenting on a show.  I started listening when I was a young man, 17 years ago.  I'm glad you guys are still at it.  It feels like dropping in on old friends every time I listen and what you do matters--it helps provide relaxation during the long hours of the night that can go by quite slowly when you can't sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the Transitive Property of Ping Pong Calculus, if Osaka Grandma can beat Ship and Ship can beat Serena and Venus Williams, then Osaka Grandma is the new world champ.

The Starfield criticisms are valid, yet after spending  double-digit hours with, it I got addicted hard.  It's absolutely Fallout In Space, but I feel the navigation defends itself in the long run, and there's plenty of exploration on foot and in space to do if you really want it. I had to hard-core tweak my TV settings to make it not washed-out, but I'm now happy with it.  

I read a review early-on that said the first ten hours are uninspired, but it locks in after that. Is it absurd to force someone to slog through ten-hours? Perhaps, but once the quests really get going I got invested. 

Question for you guys: Starfield is my first Bethesda game. I agree that it feels sterile, but I’m enjoying the role playing and the freedom to choose my own path each play session. Which previous Bethesda game do you think I should play next, since this one is not their best?

First time posting in years, just to say from now on every time Cheapy is talking about beating a child at Ping Pong, I'll be think "Well someone is quite the Table Tennis Toughie" ! Be thankful Wombat didn't go with "Ping Pong Putz"

Great show as always guys!

Question for you guys: Starfield is my first Bethesda game. I agree that it feels sterile, but I’m enjoying the role playing and the freedom to choose my own path each play session. Which previous Bethesda game do you think I should play next, since this one is not their best?
Skyrim is my favorite.

Thanks for the show! 

I'm deep into Starfield; what you have to remember is, it's not exactly Fallout, Mass Effect, or Skyrim although it has some similarities to each. Don't try to compare it directly. It takes time to adjust to that. Once you're in, it's a lot of fun. The stories are compelling, combat is fun, etc. You just have to spend the time to get into it.

Wombat, don't dis Mr. Do without trying it :). Probably the most-played game on my Atgames Legends Arcade machine aside from Popeye, Robotron, Donkey Kong and Sinistar. 

bread's done
Back