CAGcast #791: Won’t Someone Save the Learning?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Hi everyone, I just finished listening to episode#791 and Cheapy's Karate story lingered in my head until it unblocked some traumatic experience while also taking Karate lessons as a kid.
When I was 17 I was going to a legit dojo, lead by a Japanese trained Sensei (he was the real deal 6th Dan I believe and very close ties with an international karate school) and just like Cheapy's sessions 50% of the time was sparring or Kumite.
While doing my exam to get the blue belt they made me fight a bunch of grown ass black belt adults, I still remember how angry I was feeling and having to hold my tears back after getting kicked the hell out me, after that night I couldn't even go to school because the pain was unbearable and no amount of Advil worked, it turned out that I had a sprained rib.
I don't remember exactly what happened next but I never went back there or trained karate ever again, I think the dojo framed my injury as a bad movement while practicing my Kata.
And now seeing how the story is really similar to Cheapy's, I'm starting to believe that The Karate Kid movie was onto something and maybe there's a lot of assholes Karate sensei's out there.
from the CAGbag

bread's done
Back