CAGcast #87: Falafel Problems

I have to complain about your Bioshock first impressions. And while I understand that they are just that, first impressions, I dont think you guys should call this game a 9/10 too soon. I unfortunately played it all day when it came out and beat it yesterday. And I dont think I have played a better game this year. The story, the atmosphere, the emersion, the minigames, in short everything about this game is totally enthralling. I dont think its fair to say no block and rate it lower on that or its somewhat unconventional controls. What first person shooter has block? besides the dreaded Oblivion of course, but that isnt really a first person shooter at all. Of course this brings up an interesting idea: is it more comparable to that than a traditional fps? regardless, give this game more time and keep an open mind to giving this a 10/10. because while it might not be perfect it is as damn close as it can get. I look forward to your impressions on the next CAGcast

Nice show as always Cheapy & Wombat!

I, for one, think the PS3 Eye Toy has amazing potential. Wombat needs to be whacked in the head with a ps2 Eye Toy because this baby has improved like over 9000 times over the original (and because he likes High School Musical)! Eye of Judgement looks great but I'm looking forward to seeing other games implement this unique device and I certainly hope it doesn't get ignored.

And Dyack is just crazy. I like things the way they are because each console offers a different experience.

works fine now, freakin hilarious episode as always
[quote name='CheapyD']No, our feed is independant of Libsyn.
It should work through iTunes now.[/quote]

Yeah, I gotta say, I was seriously grossed out by all the poop talk. Waaaaaaay too much poop talk....

I never considered the lost re-sellability with the downloadable games. I guess I'm just a pack rat so even though I have intentions of selling back games, I never do. But that's a serious disadvantage, especially if you don't like the game later.

I cannot abide no show next week. I think you should get thorbahn or somebody to co-host with you. Or the ships, but since they've got their own show, I know that they can be busy/might want to spend only one night a week recording.

Anyway. Aside from the poop, good show. :)

/tk

Yeah felt the same way about SM64. I think (Mario) Sunshine controls better though. I don't have hangups about SMS because I played it first.

I love the convenience of digital downloads, but hate the pricing too. One problem is they can't undercut retail from what I hear.

Oh and I want a 20 disc changer for the Wii so I don't have to deal with cases and discs laying around. I want to be able to select a channel and play a Wii game just like I can do with the VC games. I'd rather have a hard drive and install games to it, but I don't think that will happen.

[quote name='CheapyD']Those fuckers...time to leave them.
I've uploaded the show to my server. You should be able to get it now.[/quote]

Thanks for the fix Cheapy.

Love the PDFs.

Circuit City is pissed because they couldn't gouge their customers the extra $100 the week before the PS3 price drop.

Doesn't Circuit City honor a price drop within 30 days?

How much time and money did Circuit City save by not selling however many units they would have sold only to have the customers come back and demand a price adjustment?

The price drop would have affected every retailer from Joe's Pissant Game Shack to Wal-Mart yet only Circuit City claims damages.

What a class act!

Games can always improve. Say a really good game gets a 9.5, a better game gets a 9.7, a better game gets at 10, a better game gets a..... wait, there is no where better to go!!! I think they have it up to 10 meaning there is always room for improvement. 1 game that's rated 10 could be alot better then another game that's rated 10, although both are excellent games.

Read through circuit city's subpeona, I'm no lawyer but it looks weak to me. I don't see where they've made any case, they claim damages but have no hard data behind them. Pretty much all newspapers sell their Sunday edition early on Saturday, why aren't they also going after them as well? What about all of the sales they've lost on Saturdays for stuff on sale on Sunday, how's is that any different? They also say they have good reason to believe Speedy is an employee but don't back that up anywhere. And if so, why don't they look in their server logs to determine who in their company visited CAG at the time it was posted, shouldn't be that hard for them to do.

[quote name='jthieme']Read through circuit city's subpeona, I'm no lawyer but it looks weak to me. I don't see where they've made any case, they claim damages but have no hard data behind them. Pretty much all newspapers sell their Sunday edition early on Saturday, why aren't they also going after them as well? What about all of the sales they've lost on Saturdays for stuff on sale on Sunday, how's is that any different? They also say they have good reason to believe Speedy is an employee but don't back that up anywhere. And if so, why don't they look in their server logs to determine who in their company visited CAG at the time it was posted, shouldn't be that hard for them to do.[/QUOTE]

What I thought was funny is they are claiming they lost in the excess of $15,000. Putting aside their price gurantee, they're saying they lost the sale of 25 PS3's(25 x $600)? Thats just funny.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but you aren't the first to have those complaints about Resistance. David Jaffe had the exact same complaints and told them to the guys at Insomniac on their podcast. With lots of profanity.

I am going to drive to Henrico County CC next day off now and just knock stuff over in their store. I live in VA and it isn't like anyone was buying the PS3's at the $600 price tag from any of the sites named by the time Speedy put the ad out anyways. Screw CC and the only reason I will ever buy a thing from them would be a clearance item that I can't PM somewhere else.

A) Wombat, thanks to you I think I'm gonna get some Turtle Beach Earforce x2 headphones today. I cant set up my 5.1 surround speakers right now in my current living situation and something like these speakers sound perfect for some Bioshock playing.

B) I just signed up on Goozex. Hopefully I win a Wii :pray:

Great podcast as always.

On the subject of physical media. You have a point about trade in value, but that really only applies to console games. You can't really trade in PC games any more. I guess you could ebay them or sell them some other way. I still think digital distribution is the way to go.

On making $5 expensive:

The way I see it, there really isn't a way to buy something on your 360 for just five dollars.

Imagine if the next time you went to a store, you brought an item to the cashier that had a $5 price tag. However, the only bill in your wallet was worth $6.25, and you got your change in store credit. That's how the Marketplace works, and it's absurd.

Right now, I have 270 MS points in my account. 270? That's $3.375. Only the on Marketplace could I have inaccessible change at such a goofy total.

Nice podcast guys.

FYI, Leipzig is pronounced so it rhymes with hype-digg.

Perhaps for next week, Cheapy can invade the Shipwrecks podcast?

Good Cagcast.

Still waiting to hear if the kid who tried cooling his 360 earned a Toaster in the Tub achievement.

Gamepolitics posted a supportive article about CAG and Speedy.

I agree with you Wombat. No game should be 10 out of 10. For those saying it doesn't mean it's perfect, 10/10 = 100%. Last I remember, 100% was a perfect score.

Also whoever brought up the GS scores, give some more examples besides fucking Zelda and Bioshock, that shit is seriously fucking played out.

GS was/is NOTORIOUS for giving lower scores because they were known for having the toughest reviews. It seriously wasn't until Zelda that the internet started giving a shit.

Anyways, this is all moot. It's a fucking number. Play your game and enjoy it. If Halo 3 gets a 9, will I care? Probably not. I'll love it regardless.

Great show guys. I think every man has faced the hard choice of holding in a monster dump or running into an alley and releasing it, so feel no shame.

Good luck becoming something more than the Internet when you talk about taking shits, masterbation, good times in the shower, and other such topics.

Quit trying to be like Howard Stern.

Other than that, it was a solid show.

McGuireWoods LLP? That's Circuit City's counsel for crap like this? You would think that one of the largest retailers in the country would go with a top tier firm...

"You are commanded..." - I love that.

[quote name='figcoinc']Hey Cheapy, I just listened to the CAGcast as usual and just wondered something. If Wombat is going on Vacation next week why don't you do a Podcast and have a guest co-host? Have Thorinbon or one of the more known mods help with the show. I would say the same if you ever was off and Wombat could run the show (plus it would be interesting to see what he'll do).

Make the show shorter in this case. You guys normally run a good 1:45 but make it a hour long show.[/QUOTE]

Thorbahn is a mod now? snickers.

edit: Javeryh impart all your legal wisdom! :D

Not enough comments about the Hot Fury story. Damn Cheapy you had me in tears. That was Howard Stern brilliant the way you told it. :rofl:

Wow, I can't believe Cheapy never played Super Mario 64! I had that game the first day it came out. I have to say this ruins all your street cred! Anyway, hope you love it like I did!

[quote name='javeryh']McGuireWoods LLP? That's Circuit City's counsel for crap like this? You would think that one of the largest retailers in the country would go with a top tier firm...

"You are commanded..." - I love that.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm just glad my firm is not representing them. ;-)

i saw a CC banner on cag a few clicks back and was wondering if there is any way to stop the deal with CC and advertising here?

this CC BS is amazing.
speedy also posts ads for target and best buy.

speedy most be a real mans man to work 3 jobs.
target, best buy, and circuit city.

we should have a CC boycott at cag.

any sale they have we can get a price match so we wouldn't miss out on much.

Hate to be the one to point this out, but you might want to have a word with someone at Hirschler Fleischer about the difference between "flaunt" and "flout". (Last paragraph on p. 5 of the PDF.) They're lawyers, they should know this stuff.

omg, i finally listened to the podcast. the shit story was hilarious! lol. you should be the next Howard Stern, baba booey to yall!

Good show, I enjoyed Cheapy's falafel problem and that made me laugh. Also was interested to hear more about the CC problem. Looking forward to hearing more of Wombat's impressions of BioShock on the next CAGcast!

Haha great cagcast episode I loved the G4 story with the Falfel this is why this show is so good. To hear these stories great show Cheapy and Wombat. Can't wait to hear more on your Bioshock update on the next episode.

Hate to say it wombat, but you fail.

Its not going to be like a korean RPG in terms of lvl'ing, its going to be nothing.

bread's done
Back