CAGcast #88: Hawkish on Warhawk

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD gets his hands on Warhawk, Mario Strikers Charged, and by the end of the show, wants to wrap them around Wombat's neck. We also answer a ton of CAGbag questions, discuss the latest gaming and shopping news, and so much more!

[media]http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast88.mp3[/media]
Download - 106 minutes, 48MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos!
Horse Sashimi CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Bracelets problem

bracelets look awesome. would be cooler if the letters were orange.

EDIT: u never answered my questions =[

OMG IT IS TEH WOMBAT!

That's cool that you keep an open mind on eating new things. I wonder what raw horse tastes like on weed...

Wombat, honestly that was painful to listen to. CheapyD gave you so many outs on that Warhawk discussion yet you refused to take them lol. Warhawk's download is purposely small to conserve hard drive space. It is compressed and uncompressed on the fly as the game is booted up. I picked this one up at retail for $39.99 w/ headset (I live in Canada, great deal at bestbuy) and am on Cheapy's side, this is a solid game that is well worth the money. Not much else to look forward to on the PS3 exclusivity front in the next little while, ya might as well check this one out.

Oh and you sooo bought Shivering Isles for $30 !!!

So I went to a few Gamestops (4 of 'em) for Metroid Prime 3 and while I was in one, there was ONE guy who pre-ordered Stuntman. I thought to myself, dude, srsly? I mean it might be a good game. Hell, it could be a fantastic game, but what are the chances that it'll sell out?

I'd like to give some context to my question. It was written using my Wii because my laptop was in for repairs. So, I was pretty crazy there for a while.

What's Mrs. Cheapy's reaction to your relationship with your trash can?

[quote name='Aberforth']So I went to a few Gamestops (4 of 'em) for Metroid Prime 3 and while I was in one, there was ONE guy who pre-ordered Stuntman. I thought to myself, dude, srsly? I mean it might be a good game. Hell, it could be a fantastic game, but what are the chances that it'll sell out?[/quote]
The only explanation for this is that I can think of is that ebgames/gamestops around me let you trade in 3 games worth $8 credit to pay off selected games in full.

I'd wear a free CAG gamer pic if you let us download them for free to get the word out but to pay for something like that. ehh, not so much.

Awesome!

Thanks CheapyD and Wombat :applause:

Comments:

- Metroid Prime 3 Reviews -

Gamespot has always been one to Review games a bit lower than competitors. Its funny to watch the Gamefaqs boards when a big game gets a lower score than expected. A lot People Went absolutely nuts and Said all sorts of personal insults about Jeff Gerstman when he gave Bioshock a 9.0. And recently with the Metroid Prime 3 review, many people were saying that they will never trust Gamespot reviewers ever again. What kind of Crazy mixed up world are we in that a 9.0 review causes Hate mail? - Answer: The Internets

Whats crazy is the Gametrailers gave Metroid Prime 3 a 9.6 and gave Bioshock only 9.5

- Warhawk -

The main problem with the download is not that it cant be shared, it's that only one person can play it on the PS3 it was downloaded on. Only the account that purchased it can play. So other people in the house can not play it on their profile, thats a problem.

- Mario Strikers -

Wow only the CAGcast can turn a Mario themed game into a minute long pennis Joke. Truly awesome work

- Bioshock -

Difficulty can happen when you Run out of Ammo and Health Packs. I had my Battery Pack fall out of the controller one time. I was playing Just Cause and it happend right as I parachuted out of a hellicopter. Luckily the Battery did not go flying, it just fell to the floor.

OMG, 360 Abuse!

- 10/10 Reviews -

I never look at a 10 score as "Perfect" nothing is perfect. I look at a 10 as one of the best possible gaming experiences available. I give many games a 10 score but I would consider none of them "Perfect"

C.J. Works for NewType USA Anime magazine.

- CAG Gamerpics -

I would Buy a Picture Pack.

- Play Magazine -

Play Reviews are seriously fucked up, they gave Sonic the Hedgehog on 360 a 8.5 Nintey Nine Nights a 9.0 and Lair a 9.0

Right on, got something worth listening to at work tomorrow! Eh, but hopefully there is no lengthy discussion on Cheapy's "love of the sausage".

Regarding the Gundam games being bad, there was one great gundam game for the dreamcast called Gundam Sidestory 0079, if you havent played it i highly reccomend you rent it, because its short but sweet.

OMG, a show this week! I'm surprised, but in a good way...thanks guys!

Wombat: not sure if you tried this already but here's two quick things I tried to stabilize my PSN connection:

1) Turn off Media Streaming
2) Make sure UPnP is Enabled

Doing #1 seemed to help me right away. I don't know why this setting isn't default disabled since not everyone is automatically ready or willing to stream media.

Wow you guys didn't have to do a show! Really happy you did though.

And for the record, I'd rather miss a week then not have Wombat in the show!

Thank you Wombat for taking the time before your vacation to entertain.

Japanese people do indeed play xbox 360 games, it just needs to be a Japanese made game like Pac Ma CE or Lost Planet. Lots of Japanese gamers on Lost Planet during the night.

Also Chaepy, that sound chip in the SNES that impressed you so much, Sony made them.

Wombat- You complain about the size of the download for Warhawk and say that there are demo's that are bigger in file size, but how much gameplay do those demo's offer? Warhawk offers more gaming than any 1gig+ demo.

Demo's are usually 10-20mins long while you can play Warhawk for hours and hours since Warhawk is an actual game.

Cheapy answers emails fast. He must not have been busy. I even signed up for digg just to digg it. I dont know about the whole itunes thing. Too much work for this cag :p

whoa, i thought there were no shows this week. btw, the intro is AWESOME. i love you guys.

the whole story concerning that CAG member who was a Gamecrazy employee was nuts! very interesting.

and Puzzle Fighter HD rocks! i'm surprised you never played it Cheapy. it's one of my all-time fave games ever. the port is very good.

o yea, thanks for answering my question in the mailbag :)

Wombat,

You stated that a demo on XBL ( and PSN ) can be larger in filesize then Warhawk and be free - then ask why does Warhawk cost $40?

Maybe it's because demos are meant for you to get a small taste and get you to want to buy their $60 full priced game?

How much space a game takes doesn't really measure how much content a game has or how good a game is.

Personally I think having a fully featured & well reviewed online game that can be run from the XMB directly without requiring a CD is well worth $40.

Awesome. Glad the show happened this week. And it was a good one as always. The sunburned eyelids was also rather hilarious.

And Wombat was right in that my name isn't about drugs (more of a double entendre), but clearly it sounds like it. I've used it for tons of other online games (including XBL stuff), and it's hilarious to hear people seriously agree to the sentiment of getting some acid. I remember one guy told me to make sure I never do acid, then get on a boat. Sound advice.

A year or so ago, I was seeing these little moths all over my kitchen. I must have killed hundreds of them, and cleaned everything, but couldn't find the source. One day I followed the trail of them into another room, and found where they were coming from; my girlfriend had neglected to clean the rice cooker, and as I opened it I saw about a million of these damn moths feasting on the rotting remains of months-old rice inside. I quickly took that nasty shit outside to the dumpster, and haven't had problems since.

I hate infestations.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']this is cheap ass gamer...unless its free i refuse to pay for gamer pics...why not offer both?[/quote]

yea, they forgot that they can get a company to sponsor those gamerpics for FREE! ya hear Cheapy? :D

btw, in response to one of the letters to the mailbag, i love mountain dew and code red is awesome. the new halo 3 game fuel is terrible but the caffeine amount must be high. cuz i only had 4 hours sleep and after drinking some of it during work, i am completely awake and alert. better than coffee! :)

I'd pay for the gamer pics. I'm cheap but I don't mind paying for something I want.

I think Wombat is continuing to show his bias against DL games. If it's on a disk how do you even know how big it is? Plus a MP only game is going to be a lot smaller because there's not a lot of cutscene's or A.I. / scripting.

...I've had fruit fly problems as well, probably stemming from fresh produce scraps. I've had success fighting them by building a trap. Take an empty jar and put a tiny amount (like a few tablespoons) of cider vinegar or a piece of banana at the bottom. Then take a piece of paper and roll it into a cone. Insert the cone in the jar...the flies get attracted to the bait and fly down the cone and into the jar, but they can't find their way back out through the small hole.

I'm sure there are some great jokes buried in there somewhere.

I'm enjoying Warhawk, but...
The cost versus the size of the download will aggravate me if they start to nickel and dime us for maps, skins, etc.

Too hard for me to get excited about Warhawk after playing BAttlefield on the pc for years.

Warhawk sounds like a watered down BF2.

The 360's heat problem sounds like it originates with the gpu and the gpu will be not on smaller silicon anytime soon. It's the cpus that will be on smaller silicon perhaps this year. So I'm not sure how much that will help manufacturer problems and the loudness of the system.

Maybe they would take the time and cost to redesign the layout of the mb to help with the heat. Maybe not.

I just have to post about Wombats criticism of Warhawk (and downloadable games in general).
Maybe it's just because I'm a PC gamer, and have been purchasing full downloadable games for years via Steam, but here are a few things I don't get about Wombats argument.

1) Filesize: Since when does the size of a game have anything to do with the quality? If you think that, then you should be LOVING PS3 games on BluRay, since many of them are enormous in file size. A small download size is a GOOD thing, especially when the game looks and performs as well as it does.

2) Multiplayer only: Multiplayer may not be important for you, but the games I play most are multiplayer only. I already beat Bioshock the weekend after it came out. It took me 14 hours, and now I'm done with it. I regret paying $50 for a game that I beat so quickly.
About 9 months ago I picked up Battlefield 2142 for PC for $45. So far I've logged almost in at least 100 hours of playtime into it.
I can understand if multiplayer isn't your thing, but for me, and many others, it's prefered to single player. I don't need single player in a game, especially a game that is so focused and based on multiplayer. If you don't like multiplayer games then the game isn't for you, but don't act like it's worthless to other people.

3) Pricing: It's a full game, regardless of filesize or whether you're downloading it. I know console only gamers often don't see "multiplayer only" as a full game, but it's a complete gaming experience, but with multiplayer only. Bioshock is still a full gaming experience, without multiplayer. I don't understand why it's fine to have a single player only game, but not fine to have multi only. May the servers one day be empty? Sure, maybe. Will that be any time soon? Doubtful. As of my playing last night, there were over 900 servers with people playing in them, with pings under 100. The second day after launch.
This is going to be a very popular online game, for a long time, methinks.

Often times, when a game is multiplayer only, the online community sticks around for a lot longer than a game that's single player/multi.
Multiplayer is often tacked on when there is a single player, which is why those games don't have stronger communities.
As an example, some of the most played, most popular PC games are online only, and have had active communities with thousands of players for 5+ years. Some of those games being Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Battlefield 1942, 2 and 2142, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament 1, 2k3 and 2k4.

When a game concentrates solely on multiplayer, it shows, and the communities are better for it.

4) The game is also available on Blu-Ray, which should put any complaints of downloads to rest, and show that it is a complete game, regardless of file size or the ability to download.

Honestly Wombat, you sound like an old grandpa who is behind the times, complaining about digital distribution like that. Downloading full games has been happening for YEARS on PC, and it's about time it's starting on consoles.

As for Warhawk itself. It's one of the best online console experiences I've had. It's an awesome game, and to bash it simply because it's downloadable, without playing it, is foolish.

Don't worry though, I still love ya. I just had to get that off my chest.
Good show so far guys (half through, I just had to pause it and make this post so I didn't forget to later).

I'd definitely like to get in on some Warhawk action with you, Cheapy.

Digital downloads are great on all fronts except price. Prices are too high because you can't trade it your game or resell it and you get no manual or box or case or disc and it costs the publishers alot less money.

I resell most of my games because there's no way I'll have the time to play most of the good ones a second time and because most games lose my interest after an hour or two.

Hey Wombat I have gotten plenty of corpses with no detail, I just look down at them close up and the detail is loaded. The freezing I experienced when I had just acquired the camaflouge(sp) was much more irritating. BTW why no response to my post from cagcast 84 or 85(something in the 80s) about the personality test called Myers-Briggs?

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']Bioshock is "meh" to me. I'm glad you guys enjoy it though.[/quote]

Is this after having tried the demo, the full game or growing tired of the continuous "Don King-ing"(hype) of the game? It really is good. But like anything else the price will eventually drop and perhaps you can get it later.

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']Bioshock is "meh" to me. I'm glad you guys enjoy it though.[/quote]

blasephemous! this game is sooo goood.... :drool:

88! What the hell happen to 87. You can't go from 86 to 88 without permission from The Count on Sesame Street. I can tell you how to get, how to get to sesame street. How to get to sesame street.

Gratz on the Basashi Cheapy!

I once ate a lil over a pound of raw horse meat.
I lived in a part of northern Japan for a year that is known for eating horses, and they actually almost ate a type of horse to extinction, the Kandachime. I had heard a lot of great things about Basashi and asked the owner of my local curry shop if he knew of a good place to try it.

I invited him to a party at my apartment and he ended up purchasing about 2 pounds of raw horse meat from his meat dealer for the party. Problem was.. he showed up after he closed his shop, and after everyone had already eaten. Since I was the one that showed initial interest I felt obligated to show him that he had not wasted his money, so after everyone tried a piece, I proceeded to eat the remaining pound and some change over the next hour. You really get to focus on how chewy raw horse is once you hit the 1/2 pound mark.

The worst part was.. after that party I had to drive to pick up some friends at a train station an hour away and through the whole drive I slowly picked the loose raw horse shards from between my teeth. I imagine my mouth must have looked like bloody muppet fur as I was leaving that party.

Wombat, you were in rare form this podcast. The friendly tension between you and CheapyD is the reason why you are my favorite podcast. Thanks for answering my question Cheapy. I would definately buy a cag gamer picture.

bread's done
Back