CAGcast #89: There You Go Again

Great show guys!

Wombat what's up with your internet connection? Considering you got a FREE PS3 I think you could affford to investigate the problem further. Try buying a new router and see if that fixes your problem, if not you can always return the router and it cost you nothing. I work for an internet provider and I'd say 99% of our service calls regarding connectivity issues are crap routers.

...there you go

very funny podcast. and i noticed that u said "there u go" in your unboxing the 360 video =P

edit: u should've made a video of u killing the fruit flies =D

CC renaming itself to be The City? All I can think of is The Tick, the blue avenger protecting The City! SPOOOON!!!

Let this be my official "in forum" apology. After listening to this weeks show, I listened to last weeks again. I got the wrong idea about the gamerpics. While free would be nice, if MS only allowed them if they were $$, then I get it. That means I should send my "hate mail" to MS instead ;)

Again, sorry. My B!!

No apology necessary.
By the way, WSB and I are being proactive and have put together a pack of 10 gamerpics. I think they look good!

We've got 2 different CAG logos, CAGcast, CAG Foreplay, CheapyD, Wombat, Mrs. Shipwreck, CheapyD's Devil Customer Head, a YMMV Price Tag, and Fist Full of Cash (aka Cash In Face).

I think Shipwreck needs to get the shaft otherwise GI Joe will sue us.

It's pretty hard to put together icons that are viewable at such a small size.
These aren't finalized by any means...but this is what we have so far:
caggamerpics.jpg

[quote name='CheapyD']No apology necessary.
By the way, WSB and I are being proactive and have put together a pack of 10 gamerpics. I think they look good!

We've got 2 different CAG logos, CAGcast, CAG Foreplay, CheapyD, Wombat, Mrs. Shipwreck, CheapyD's Devil Customer Head, a YMMV Price Tag, and Fist Full of Cash (aka Cash In Face).

I think Shipwreck needs to get the shaft otherwise GI Joe will sue us.

It's pretty hard to put together icons that are viewable at such a small size.[/quote]
How about some cool CAG wallpaper for the PS3? I'm not sure if that would be too much work for WSB, but it would be cool to see and you don't need to worry about a lawsuit. ;)

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']I'd much rather pay a small fee than have ads in the CAGcast. It's one of the many reasons why I don't watch television (other than public broadcasting) or listen to the radio. And I refuse to buy games with ads.[/QUOTE]

That's obviously not a realistic option. The CAGcast would lose quite a lot of casual listeners with any sort of fee on it, and it would hinder the acquisition of new listeners. I personally only started listening the last few weeks due to the Circuit City legal update, and now I listen when nothing else is going on because the show does serve as a sort of digest for video game news. Just the act of having to put in credit card information for any amount, regardless of how insignificant would just make the show too much of a hassle when other free options exist. Plus you would run the risk of shutting out a large demographic of game players who probably aren't old enough to own credit cards, but still enjoy the show.

While putting ads into the show would be annoying, the reality is this site is a business venture. Shutting out advertisers and at the same time creating barriers to new listeners would be a terrible long-term plan. Besides when you consider the amount of commercials you watch during an hour and a half of television, the minute and a half to two minutes being proposed isn't exactly going to be the end of the world.

D'oh! You gave dmaul's "con" issue with Metroid Prime 3 having the black bars (on all 4 sides, what??) too much air time there.

I'm with you Cheapy - most Wii games have small black bars on the left and right side on my HDTV, and it is annoying. Metroid Prime 3, on the other hand, does NOT have this problem. It fills up the screen just like a 360 game on my HDTV.

Also, about your arms getting tired: Well, my sensor bar is on top, and I've played some 4-5 hour MP3 sessions. I hadn't even thought about it until I listened to the CAGcast (also no one on the huge-ass MP3 thread has talked about it except for dmaul as far as I remember). It is simply not an issue - and I've got a few years on you Cheapy so I've got my share of weariness issues in general. MP3 overcomes them ;).

Woo Hoo I got a mention!

PS Wombat, I found the baby joke to be hilarious ( japanese 360+ american hardrive). Couldn't get it at first, though.

The pics look great Cheapy, but I doubt MS will let you have the CAGCast one if you can read the ASS in the background. Also I think there should be a fuck one. But I guess there may be some copyright issues with that one.

Great show guys. I hope you get to play MP3 soon, as it is loads of fun. Cheapy, I have you in my Wii friends list, so as soon as you get the game, it'll show me and I can send you some friend vouchers. Wombat, if you add me, I can do the same for you.

Regarding the IGN Prey debacle: It sounds like IGN's editors (or at least some of the middle managers) could use some remedial ethics training. Here's how that conversation should have gone:

Prey PR Flack: Sooooo...Can you tell me what kind of review your editor is planning to give our game?
Doug of IGN: I'm sorry, but it is our editorial policy not to disclose that kind of information before publication.

The End.

Thank God the reviewer in question knew more about journalistic ethics than his boss did. It sickens me that he not only was planning to disclose the review score, which is already a huge breach of ethics, but also was perfectly prepared to skew that score to curry favor with the publisher. For fuck's sake... Of course, IGN's editorial policy could include a clause about bending over and a complimentary bottle of lube. It wouldn't surprise me. At this point it'd be hard for me to have any less respect for them than I already do.

Cheapy, those ads are gonna suck if they put it in the beginning, middle AND end(??) screw them. if you listen to most other shows like 1up, they only have one ad in the beginning or middle usually. 4 ads in one show is ridiculous. it's not worth it.

btw, thanks for answering my questions. Hourman! that is one lame superhero, lol.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Maybe we sohuld add Warhawk to the dreaded unmentionables list that we have for Wombat. Wombat just ignores the retail version completely and complains exclusively about things that affect anything you download without even acknowledging that the retail version covers you for most of those complaints (not being able to trade it in, not being able to trade with CAGs, no resale value). If you're going to bitch about things (Punk_Raven, too) that aren't new to the downloadable realm, at least ackowledge that those things aren't a problem with the retail version and make it seem like you're fighting the good fight by not buying it off of the PSN. Seriously, it's annoying to see you purposely ignore the reasonable solution in favor of continuing to itch about the downloadable version. I get that the game's not your type of thing and that your internet connection sucks, but it seems like you just need to move on and start calling it the "W" game.

As for Cheapy, you mentioned that you've been playing the game lately, but why haven't you used your big, Japanese internet connection (assuming it can host a 32 man game) to host a game for CAGs to play and get some CAG fun with the community. Also, Incognito's aware of the full game problem and are working on the problem. I don't know when it's expected to be fixed, but at least they're aware of the problem and are working on it.

[/QUOTE]

So I took the plunge and bought the disk version, hopefully I will get a chance to play tonight.

[quote name='Wombat']So I took the plunge and bought the disk version, hopefully I will get a chance to play tonight.[/quote]

i'm still waiting for my copy from TRU.com. it's back in stock and they haven't shipped it yet!

I really like Warhawk but the server tools are awful. It does take multiple tries to join games. Games that appear to have openings come back full and joining games that appear full is sometimes successful (especially with Sony's servers). They also need more filters, I would like to be able to display ranked servers only, Sony servers only, etc. I hope they're working on this, it's a great game when you can join in.

Nice work on picking up Warhawk, I managed to get the retail version for $49.95 CDN.

Now have you spent anytime fixing your PS3's internet connection issues?

No one's mentioned it so far, so I will...

If a company as invested in online retail as Circuit City is was going to change their name, surely they'd purchase the domain name for their future name. And who owns thecity.com? Circuit City Stores, Inc.!

This name change sounds pretty credible to me. There you go.

[quote name='Wombat']So I took the plunge and bought the disk version, hopefully I will get a chance to play tonight.[/quote]
A nice surprise. :D It's nice to see that you're willing to spend some money so you can complain legitimately. ;)

If you want some help getting into the game, I'm up for playing a few games tonight.

Great CAGcast, once again! Just wanted to clarify something, though, thats been brought up in the last few casts. According to DailyTech, the "Falcon" may not fix the RRoD problems in the 360. According to the article,
Those expecting the 65nm die shrink to affect the two main chips inside the Xbox 360 will be disappointed to learn that only the console’s main processor will be the manufactured on the new process.

“Falcon is the name for the board that houses the 65-nanometer microprocessor from IBM,” wrote Takahashi. “The board does not include a 65-nanometer version of the ATI graphics chip for the Xbox 360. That version of the graphics chip is coming later.”

The new 65nm chip from IBM will work with both the current 90nm and the future 65nm iteration of the 65nm ATI GPU, according to Takahashi.

Oddly enough, it appears as though the main culprit behind the Xbox 360 reliability woes may be linked to the ATI GPU rather than the IBM CPU. As part of a recent fix to all 90nm-based consoles, Microsoft has been adding additional cooling measures into the Xbox 360. Found first in a repaired European Xbox 360 was a new heatsink with a heatpipe that leads to a secondary “daughter” heatsink helps to further cool the GPU.
If that's the case, it may not be worth waiting a year (or however long) it takes to get the new GPU, if only because of the great gaming going on now, as well as the fact that the 3-Year Warranty will likely carry you through until the next generation (isn't that a scary thought? Buy today, you're covered until Sept. 2010; that's right around the same time the 5-year lifecycle of the 360 will be up!!). At any rate, I'm going to get a 360 soon, and not bother waiting for the new motherboard, because I'm not so sure it's going to solve anything, especially if the problem is actually rooted in the GPU. Frankly, I can't wait much longer, with Bioshock and Halo 3 right around the corner. Oh, and I know I show a GamerCard below, but I sold my console in the beginning of summer for some much needed cash flow and to take a rest during the summer doledrums.

Just food for thought. Thanks for another great show, and I look forward to hearing Wombat lead!

I wondered if you might do that, if for no other reason...you can trade it back in if you really hate it. ;) Plus don't you get a BT headset with that one?

All in all, good show, guys. I almost went through and counted how many "There you go's" there were, but then I decided it'd be more fun to play my DS at work (shipwreck, if you're reading this, you're a HORRIBLE influence--damn, I hope no one from work reads this forum!).

On other topics....
Wombat-with the iPod Touch, I'm guessing that even though you only had ~10 GB of music on your old iPod, you'd start filling the Touch up pretty well.
Maybe not at first, but with a screen like that, it's begging you to put tv
shows or movies on it, which I'm guessing you'd eventually do, then you'd
end up filling it up. That's kind of how it went for me. I have a 60 GB
video iPod right now, and it's got about 17 GB of video stuff on it (mostly
tv shows that I watch through my iPod dock on my tv or bring to my folks so
they can watch), plus about 30 GB of music. At the end of the day, though,
I'm with you, it's too much money for only 16 GB.

Happy birthday, Cheapy! :D

I think that 4 ads in a show is absurd. Especially since the ads wouldn't be relevant to gaming or anything else I'm interested in on a gaming podcast. With that content matter, I think it'd be jarring. I think one ad at the beginning, you reading a promo or something, one ad somewhere in the middle (a short mention), and maybe one at the end is much better, but it really can't throw off the flow of the show. Some of the other 'casts I listen to use advertising, an ad or two in the beginning which is the host reading a promotional bit, and one torwards the middle or at the end is what they seem to do. I'd be ok with that style format.

No discussion of the PSP-2000? Do either of you think you'll be picking it
up? I'm STRONGLY considering trading in my first-gen PSP and getting this.

/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']Wombat-with the iPod Touch, I'm guessing that even though you only had ~10 GB of music on your old iPod, you'd start filling the Touch up pretty well.
Maybe not at first, but with a screen like that, it's begging you to put tv
shows or movies on it, which I'm guessing you'd eventually do, then you'd
end up filling it up. That's kind of how it went for me. I have a 60 GB
video iPod right now, and it's got about 17 GB of video stuff on it (mostly
tv shows that I watch through my iPod dock on my tv or bring to my folks so
they can watch), plus about 30 GB of music. At the end of the day, though,
I'm with you, it's too much money for only 16 GB.
/tk[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think people need to begin to use the Smart Playlist function within iTunes. How often do you spend 5 days away from your computer? I'm not sure anyone needs their entire collection with them at all times; I've had a 2gb Nano for a year now, and I have plenty of room for (a) podcasts, (b) a playlist of 'study music,' and (c) a roster of music that I change just about once a week for use in the car.

I used to be a huge fan of the massive drivespace. But since getting the Nano, I've realized how easy it is to manage your library, and with a little bit of forethought, I always have whatever tunes I need.

[quote name='nicholas01']I disagree. I think people need to begin to use the Smart Playlist function within iTunes. How often do you spend 5 days away from your computer? I'm not sure anyone needs their entire collection with them at all times; I've had a 2gb Nano for a year now, and I have plenty of room for (a) podcasts, (b) a playlist of 'study music,' and (c) a roster of music that I change just about once a week for use in the car.

I used to be a huge fan of the massive drivespace. But since getting the Nano, I've realized how easy it is to manage your library, and with a little bit of forethought, I always have whatever tunes I need.[/quote]

As an engineer in the aerospace industry, quite often. I end up doing quite a bit of international travel and when on a launch campaign, I may be out of the country for a month (or more, depending on how things go with the launch). I know I'm in the minority. But for me, a hard drive is a must.

/tk

Touché, terpkristin! I will admit that having a 15gb iPod was nice when driving across the country. But since that one was stolen, a 2gb Nano for under a hundred bucks (used, off Craiglist) has served me terrifically, though I'm never more than a few hours away from my laptop, so...

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I mean, sure, there's those, but those are older than Cheapy's crusty underwear. I don't need to tell you how old that it. :D[/QUOTE]
For me, part of the problem is the whole "Simpsons did it!" thing. Only in this case it's "Penny Arcade did it!" or "VGCats did it!"

It's difficult to come up with something funny, original, and pertinent, much less on a frequent basis...especially when there are already so many quality video game related webcomics out there.

Maybe with CAG2.0 the CAGcomic will meet a more significant revival.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Simpsons did it![/quote]

Yeah well, plent of people have eaten pizza, yet I still do it. Like Wombat says, more of the same isn't bad as long as it's good.

Well here is one vote for ads. If ads mean that we hear more reviews because you spend the advertising money in buying games you might have passed on, I’m all for it.

[FONT=&quot]Also I think it’s a good thing if the ads are not game related. Then we can’t claim you guys sold out. Well we could.. but not for that reason [/FONT];)

Agreed. If the ads aren't game related some of the crazy fanboys can't claim that you sold out.

I think you should sell ads for those little blue pills, I'm sure some of the old timers around here could use em. Oh by the way Happy Birthday Cheapy ;)

[quote name='jaystaeb8']Advertising in the CAGcast would be something I would be careful with. I personally wouldn't mind advertising as long as it was related to the theme of the site. As far as the prospective advertiser you mentioned, I don't see a problem with the YMCA advertising either but if it were the Navy, which I am pretty sure it is, I guarantee you would lose one listener forever the second the add came on. I would pay for a podcast subscription to keep ads unrelated to gaming off the podcast.

I support the military and I think it is an admirable and important profession. Enough so that I was in Guards while I went to college. However as the Iraq Veterans Against the War stated so eloquently. War is not a game. They have no business advertising here.

However if it was the YMCA I say let them advertise, I know I am not the only CAG who could benefit from some more exercise.[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't mind 1 ad at the first of the show then 1 ad in the middle of the show.. but 4 would be too many.. and i don't know.. I think i would almost rather pay for a podcast subscription (say 1 or 2 bucks) then listen to ads, as thats the reason I can't listen to regular radio as much all the ads right in the middle of the shows and sometimes the guys from the radio show do the ads so you kind of get "tricked" into thinking it was back to the show..

but in either case.. don't lose content because of the ads.. I hope this means the cagcast will stay at its usual length and not get cut by the constraints of ads.. i also hope the ads don't influence how you guys talk about things..

There's no way I would pay for podcasts. Bring on the ads! CheapyD, this is your business; you should be monetizing the podcast ASAP. Make that money, brother, but just don't go overboard with the ads. I think the various 1up podcasts balance it well. They have one in the beginning, one during a break, and one at the end. It's not intrusive at all, and anyone who thinks otherwise is really being pretty spoiled. None of this stuff is free to make, so Cheapy has to pay for it somehow. The least you can do is be bothered to listen to (or fast forward through) about a minute and a half worth of commercials (hopefully gaming related).

Also, I think I would take more offense to the "Young Men's Christian Association" advertising than the Navy, but both would be lame. Maybe you could get the Village People themselves to advertise?

One last thing, for Cheapy and Wombat. Warhawk, according to Metacritic, has an 8.4 average review score, and Heavenly Sword has an 8. Those are hardly bad scores, but the way you talked about them makes it seem like they are getting horrible scores across the board. Or did you say Lair and Heavenly Sword? Either way, HS looks to be really cool (I love the demo, so I will probably enjoy the game). Lair, though, I will have to rent. Could be good, you never know!

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']I'd much rather pay a small fee than have ads in the CAGcast. It's one of the many reasons why I don't watch television (other than public broadcasting) or listen to the radio. And I refuse to buy games with ads.[/quote]
[quote name='T3kN']I completely agree with Rusty Ghia.
I dont watch tv anymore, I hate commericals. Whenever there was a commercial I would change the channel to something else, watching 2 shows at once sorta thing, but most the time both shows im watching would have commercials on sooo fuck TV!!!![/quote]
I don't get the comparison between a podcast and radio and TV besides that they're all forms of entertainment. Podcasts aren't live, like TV and radio are, which means you can't just skip past ads like you can in podcasts. Offering to pay to not have ads makes it seem like you're the kind of people that pay GameSpot and IGN so you don't have to see those ad pages every 10th or 20th article you read. However, you can fastforward, a standard feature in any music player, past the ads quickly and you didn't just spend money to listen to the podcast. As a fan of some of 1up's podcasts and DL.TV, ads are no big deal and help give the people that work hard on the shows the ability to keep doing the show for the fans.

I'm all for ads since you guys deserve some payback for all of the work (maybe not so much on Wombat's end ;)), time, and money into the show and your content. As long as you can insert the ads in logical break points, it should be fine.

Advertisements? who cares. My iPod has a fast forward button. As long as the podcasts stay the same length, put in 5 30 second spots each episode!

Bonus if you make a real high pitched wombat noise to let us know when to stop fast forwarding. Or maybe use the Bioshock horn.

I was just listening to the EGM live podcast today and they do a "review crew" of the week's releases like CAG foreplay, except it was a 10 min obligation that gave no detail on anything. The amount of work that goes into both of your podcasts deserves compensation. And god knows I'm not going to pay you, so might as well have someone else do it. Bring on the moneyhats!

Cheapy we can fast forward through ads.
I say do it, if it can help you guys out, i wouldnt mind one bit.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't get the comparison between a podcast and radio and TV besides that they're all forms of entertainment. Podcasts aren't live, like TV and radio are, which means you can't just skip past ads like you can in podcasts. Offering to pay to not have ads makes it seem like you're the kind of people that pay GameSpot and IGN so you don't have to see those ad pages every 10th or 20th article you read. However, you can fastforward, a standard feature in any music player, past the ads quickly and you didn't just spend money to listen to the podcast. As a fan of some of 1up's podcasts and DL.TV, ads are no big deal and help give the people that work hard on the shows the ability to keep doing the show for the fans.

I'm all for ads since you guys deserve some payback for all of the work (maybe not so much on Wombat's end ;)), time, and money into the show and your content. As long as you can insert the ads in logical break points, it should be fine.[/quote]

Just wanted to say that, after reading many of your posts, that you are a goddamn genius.

Just finished listening to cagcast #89, yeah I know I'm little behind, and in my opinion ads are kind of just annoying announcements but can be skipped over with the touch of the fast forward button. I kind of see cheapy's point though in that for just $80 its not really worth mentioning whoever the sponser is.

One last thing if wombat takes over the show then I'm going to stop listening to the cagcast. Cheapy is the founder and real host of the cagcast and it should stay that way but if cheapy has to take some time off then cheapy should run a poll or contest on who would take over the cagcast and hopefully find a new co-host.

[quote name='Mex25']Just finished listening to cagcast #89, yeah I know I'm little behind, and in my opinion ads are kind of just annoying announcements but can be skipped over with the touch of the fast forward button. I kind of see cheapy's point though in that for just $80 its not really worth mentioning whoever the sponser is.

One last thing if wombat takes over the show then I'm going to stop listening to the cagcast. Cheapy is the founder and real host of the cagcast and it should stay that way but if cheapy has to take some time off then cheapy should run a poll or contest on who would take over the cagcast and hopefully find a new co-host.[/quote]

I agree with you regarding the ads, but you're wrong about Wombat. Go back to show #1. Heck, go back to the test segments they did. They were partners from the beginning. Yes, Cheapy works more on the site and it is his primary job, but Wombat is every bit as much a part of the podcast as Cheapy is.

[quote name='Tybee']I agree with you regarding the ads, but you're wrong about Wombat. Go back to show #1. Heck, go back to the test segments they did. They were partners from the beginning. Yes, Cheapy works more on the site and it is his primary job, but Wombat is every bit as much a part of the podcast as Cheapy is.[/quote]
I'll admit that for the first couple of shows wombat was kind of funny and was a decent co-host. But now I'm always tempted to just fast forward through any segments that have to deal with just wombat. His jokes aren't funny, yet he always laughs at them and I don't know if its just me but cheapy seems to be annoyed by him jokes also. Most of the segments that have to deal with wombat are just plain boring or pretty much serve no purpose.

bread's done
Back