CAGcast #90: Bringing SASE Back

[quote name='ChryZ']Thanks for the kind feedback.
Yeah, hosting a dedicated ranked server means you're not able to play on it. This isn't a limitation of the PSN network though, but more a design choice by Incognito. Anyways my advice would be (with a lively community like CAG), if you're not playing just make a server, protect it with a password, post the details in the warhawk thread, create a few CAG clans, kick user off the server with no CAG tag, when done pay it forward and host a server for a few hours. (CheapyD got fast internets and since his PS3 is collecting dust he might wanna take one for the team ;))[/quote]
It seems to be more to prevent cheating (Cheapy hosts server, invites people to just stand still while he kills them all, gaining mad points and ranks in the process) as a lot of the unfortunate stuff (no ranked splitscreen servers) was not allowed on ranked servers for that reason. It makes it fair, so that's not that bad. Maybe Cheapy could get a second PS3 and use that to host? ;)

That would be good for Warhawk, because we need a good server for our games. Currently, we have four CAG clans (one is still small, but will be expanded), and it would be great to finally have clan battles.

[quote name='G-Dog']I just wanted to give my 2 cents about the Wii outselling the 360 and PS3 by biblical proportions and nobody can figure out why. There was a time when I was a hardcore gamer. But a few years ago I got married, got a house with a mortgage, and had a child.

So why am I not interested in a 360 or PS3?

Time – I have severely limited free time. I don’t want to waste it on a three hour tutorial noob level for some overly complicated game that was released six months too early.

Money – We don’t rely on mommy and daddy. I’m lucky that I get to spend $15 a week on comic books, and I have to sacrifice eating lunch at work to afford that. Looking at the insane number of home foreclosures in my city, I’m not the only person that needs to be tight with money. At $15 a week, how long will it take to save for a 360 or PS3? Our savings account and my sons college fund are a hell of a lot more important than Forza or Metal Gear.

Desire – I just don’t care about the games that are out these days. I can’t find a single compelling title that would warrant the purchase of a system (plus accessories) that would cost as much as my monthly house payment. I don’t care about my l33T cred or whatever the racist Halo X-Box Live Trolls call it these days, and even the best games are still written like a 12 year old girls fan fiction. Plus, I’ve never had a comic book or novel crash half way then force me to start over (corrupt KOTOR 2 saves). Also, too many games today feel like work and are just no fun.

What games do I play? My wife and I have a couple DS’s and we play Clubhouse games and Zoo Keeper now and again. We play Wii at our friend’s houses, and want to get one for X-Mas. A Wii, not an Xbox or PS3. The Wii imply suits out lifestyles better.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Cheapy,

Pick up NHL for PS3, as it is not region locked.

I don't mind sending you a copy of each if you want. 2k is $50 CAD, and EA's is $60 CAD. I might be able to find cheaper too, I am going to wait until the weekend to pick it up. PM me if you want me to hook you up with an NA PS3 version of either.

ps - Please no one turn this into a ps3/360 version war. I has already been well discussed.

~S

I don't care for the PS3, but snowsquirrel is correct -- all PS3 games are region-free, can't argue with that -- the only thing is PSN is not as good as XBL.

[quote name='InuFaye']Unless the puzzles took you forever. I remmber beating the game in an afternoon.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think your memory's a bit iffy. God of War 1 did not take 5-6 hours.

[quote name='G-Dog']I just wanted to give my 2 cents about the Wii outselling the 360 and PS3 by biblical proportions and nobody can figure out why. There was a time when I was a hardcore gamer. But a few years ago I got married, got a house with a mortgage, and had a child.

So why am I not interested in a 360 or PS3?

Time – I have severely limited free time. I don’t want to waste it on a three hour tutorial noob level for some overly complicated game that was released six months too early.

Money – We don’t rely on mommy and daddy. I’m lucky that I get to spend $15 a week on comic books, and I have to sacrifice eating lunch at work to afford that. Looking at the insane number of home foreclosures in my city, I’m not the only person that needs to be tight with money. At $15 a week, how long will it take to save for a 360 or PS3? Our savings account and my sons college fund are a hell of a lot more important than Forza or Metal Gear.

Desire – I just don’t care about the games that are out these days. I can’t find a single compelling title that would warrant the purchase of a system (plus accessories) that would cost as much as my monthly house payment. I don’t care about my l33T cred or whatever the racist Halo X-Box Live Trolls call it these days, and even the best games are still written like a 12 year old girls fan fiction. Plus, I’ve never had a comic book or novel crash half way then force me to start over (corrupt KOTOR 2 saves). Also, too many games today feel like work and are just no fun.

What games do I play? My wife and I have a couple DS’s and we play Clubhouse games and Zoo Keeper now and again. We play Wii at our friend’s houses, and want to get one for X-Mas. A Wii, not an Xbox or PS3. The Wii imply suits out lifestyles better.[/quote]

This post is the reason gaming is going to hell.

Quick question about the Wii Zapper--a few games are going to "support" it, like Ghost Squadron and RE: Umbrella Chronicles...what I don't get is how a game can support the thing. It doesn't add any functionality, so technically doesn't every game support it? Isn't it basically just a way to hold the wii remote and zapper, or am I missing something?

[quote name='twen']I don't care for the PS3, but snowsquirrel is correct -- all PS3 games are region-free, can't argue with that -- the only thing is PSN is not as good as XBL.[/QUOTE]Let's not start a war here. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, is all I'll say. ;)

I just to get this straight, so I can make a ranked game in Warhawk but I can't play in my ranked game, so when all the rooms are full and I want to play a ranked game I have to sit and wait? which would explain why when cheapy made a room for us to play in it wasnt ranked, right. this is very convoluted

[quote name='Wombat']I just to get this straight, so I can make a ranked game in Warhawk but I can't play in my ranked game, so when all the rooms are full and I want to play a ranked game I have to sit and wait? which would explain why when cheapy made a room for us to play in it wasnt ranked, right. this is very convoluted[/quote]
That and he had splitscreen enabled, which also isn't allowed in ranked matches.

Works fine for me. Both my original link and CheapyD's mirror. Use a browser that doesn't blow perhaps?

When Madden '08 sells 1 million copies on Xbox 360 in only 1 month of sales and BioShock sells half a million in only 2 weeks of sales I think there is very little reason to be concerned about the well being of Xbox 360 or next-gen gaming.

[quote name='Bojizzle']Why isn't the Wii number up there on your sig?
Oh yeah, Wii outsold 360... and in less than 1 year!
[/QUOTE]Same reason the Nintendo DS isn't in my sig. Cause they're not in competition with each other for anything. I don't understand why anyone compares Wii to PS3 and 360.

Who cares if Wii outsells 360? Does it matter that DS and cellphones are outselling 360 too? Is Wii going to suddenly start stealing 3rd party games and exclusives from Xbox 360? No. Developers are only making cheap Wii games to fund their next-gen developments (the same way they do with portables and cellphones). Wii is for casual gamers like cellphone gaming is. It's not something that hardcore gamers care about aside from the rare title now and then. Traditional Nintendo games like Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 are going to become very rare from Nintendo as they realize that their casual games: Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Party, etc. are selling more copies and are cheaper to make. Mario Party 8 sold 100K more copies than Metroid Prime 3 in the same time span.

Mario Party 8 - Release Date: 5/29: May NPD 314K
Metroid Prime 3 - Release Date: 8/28: Aug. NPD 218K

[quote name='InuFaye']I dont understand why people keep saying heavenly sword is just a rental. The game has a ton of unlockables in the game and a ton of stuff to do once you finish. The orignial God of War was only 5 or 6 hours long and the second was only 2 hours longer. If you are gonna say heavenly sword is a rental then you gotta admit god of war is a rental.[/quote]God of War is a rental.

There you go..there you go,there you go!
hahaah cracked me up..people should do this kinda stuff more!
if anyone know good free program to do this kinda editions,let me know
i might give a shot

[quote name='twen']I don't care for the PS3, but snowsquirrel is correct -- all PS3 games are region-free, can't argue with that -- the only thing is PSN is not as good as XBL.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but let me suggest something: check out a fully-patched version of Resistance. Why? It has 95% of the same functionality of XBox LIVE, but across ALL REGIONS and FOR FREE.

[quote name='Wombat']I just to get this straight, so I can make a ranked game in Warhawk but I can't play in my ranked game, so when all the rooms are full and I want to play a ranked game I have to sit and wait? which would explain why when cheapy made a room for us to play in it wasnt ranked, right. this is very convoluted[/QUOTE]

Anyone can make a ranked server but it must be dedicated and not pasword protected. So while you can't play on your own ranked server, you do have a lot more options then just the Official Sony servers to play. I believe you can filter to only show ranked games and sort by how full they are.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']No kidding...at least he has a DS.[/quote]
I just want to say that I have a PS2, but I sold most of the games when I sold my Gamecube to pay for my sons doctor bills.

I also have a fairly decient gaming PC. I do freelace graphic design and video production, so I need good hardware.

The last PC game I bought was Oblivion the month it came out.
The last PS2 game I bought was either Fight Night round 3 or Guitar Hero. Got them both about the same time.

[quote name='AwRy108']Agreed, but let me suggest something: check out a fully-patched version of Resistance. Why? It has 95% of the same functionality of XBox LIVE, but across ALL REGIONS and FOR FREE.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you speak of one game. I'll wait til the PS3 has custom firmware functionality like the PSP before picking it up.

[quote name='twen']Yeah but you speak of one game. I'll wait til the PS3 has custom firmware functionality like the PSP before picking it up.[/quote]

Word.

Yes! I'm an Internet Batman! Thanks Wombat for correcting Cheapy; him making Matlock references just means he's showing his age...

Great show again guys.

I have two kids but my wife did all the work, obviously. She went natural for the first and opted for the epidural for kid #2. She highly recommends taking the drugs.

Given the choice, after watching my wife both times, I would choose the drugs. Everything was much more pleasant for everyone.

That Twen mix busted my gut this morning while driving to work. Well done maestro !

I would like to take offense to Wombat calling Warhawk the best game on the PS3 as I think that still goes to Super Stardust HD, the greatest 10$ game ever. I probably put more than 10 hours into that game and it's amazing. Warhawk would be number 2. :)

I have yet to pick up a next gen console but plan on getting a 360 later this year because the games are finally starting to become cheap and the games I want are finally coming out. I think that there are many gamers like me who just can't justify the purchase price for only a few games.

i think 4 commercials in 1 podcast is way to many, the only podcast i listen to that has commercials, has 1 30 second in the middle

i think maybe 1 at begging or end, and one one in the middle might be ok, but 2 in the middle, is way to much

i doubt ill listen when those happen, i wanna hear gaming news, not a commercial, id go watch some tv late at night and catch some infommercials if i wanted that

I just read an interview with the designer for Uncharted: Drake's Foturne. When asked about what she says when people call it 'Tomb Raider with a Guy' (looking at you Cheapy), her response was good:

What blows me away is that there's somehow room for only one adventure game in video games. Especially when we see so many first person shooters and military shooters and WWII shooters, and nobody says "this is another just a such-and-such." It's such a rich tradition, the action adventure genre, and there's so much room for different interpretations of it.

She then goes on to say the obvious things one would expect like what she thinks is better about her game, blah, blah, blash.

But I like her point. We don't refer to Halo as 'Quake with a Spartan', so why Tomb Raider with a Guy?. :D

================================================
w/r/t NHL:
[quote name='snowsquirrel']Please no one turn this into a ps3/360 version war. I has already been well discussed.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='twen']the only thing is PSN is not as good as XBL.[/QUOTE]

At a loss for words.

~S

A couple of things:

1. Haven't played hockey in awhile, I can't afford the new games, so in true CAG fashion I picked up NHL 2K3 for $1.99 at Gamestop and I have to say it kicks ass!

2. Nice CAG blanket!

3. Nice blister, or as I like to call it "War Wound".

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']Whoring out for a little bit of money I see. I am quite disappointed. Now the CAGcast will be soiled with ads for crap no one will even care about or buy... Just so Wombat can get a couple bucks. With all the kick backs this site gets for referals, Wombat should just get money without these stupid methods. If the money was going to a good cause or all to Wombat, it would be a different story. Wombat deserves things but not through this channel.

All you who support this move are blind.

First it was being a whore for free games, then digs, and now it's for money. What's next?

I love listen to the CAGcast because of what it brought and they way they did. Now it's probably slowly going to turn into Ad-cast.[/QUOTE]

Oh STFU, seriously. CheapyD and Wombat both do a great job on the CAGcast and if they can make money while doing so then so be it. They DESERVE it.

And if you think they don't deserve it then you are not a true CAG.

Do you think radio talk show hosts work for free? TV actors? Movie stars?

You think Cheapy and Wombat are being selfish when in face YOU are the selfish one for saying they don't deserve to make some side money.

Oh and this is a podcast which means you can SKIP/FAST FORWARD the commercials!! So there is NO reason to complain about ads!

I don't understand all the hate for commercials and that 4 is too many. 4 commercials in a free hour and a half show sounds reasonable to me. Screw all you commie hippies who think everything should be commercial free. Everybody's gotta get paid for their time.

I couldn't care less about it as long as Cheapy and Wombat can retain independent thought and won't hesitate to rag on a game or a company even though said company may be sponsoring the CagCast. As soon as that happens I might as well listen to EGMLive again.

Take the money. Your time and effort is well worth it.

CheapyD mentions CagForeplay alot, and that its an amazing show.

But, I dont want to be mean or anything, but does anyone else think that CagForeplay is really boring?

Hey guys,

Really liked the show this week, and it was very refreshing to hear Wombat talking about Warhawk's gameplay and actual problems instead of talking about how the game isn't worth it due to price/size ratio.

Also, Wombat - About your new PSP Slim, you said in the show that you'd occasionally throw some music or podcasts on there. Well, one extremely underrated feature of the PSP is that it can actually download podcasts wirelessly by itself at any time you schedule. You just need to use the web browser to add RSS feeds to the thing, then schedule what and when you'd like your podcasts updated. (And it's very easy to find RSS feeds - just go to google and use something similar to this as a query: "podcast_name xml" With this, what you wanted is almost always the first link google brings back. I actually gave up using an iPod in favor of this feature, as podcasts were all I listened to, and the feature works incredibly well.

Cheapy, wanted to wish you and especially Mrs. Cheapy good luck with the upcoming birth - I'm sure more people would be happy to gift you with things if you could make a gift or 'baby' registry on Amazon. I'm not sure if it's possible with you living in Japan.. But it might be worth checking into. (Also, take Major Nelson up on his offer for another 360 - if you're taking him shopping for an amazing Japanese toilet, I'd consider this as the same type of friendly gesture. Edit: Uh, well I guess this isn't going to happen, afterall. Sucks to be the Major.)

Anyway, really looking forward to the next episode.

-Teq

[quote name='DarkNessBear']CheapyD mentions CagForeplay alot, and that its an amazing show.

But, I dont want to be mean or anything, but does anyone else think that CagForeplay is really boring?[/quote]I'm on the same boat. I tried cagforeplay but I wasn't digging at all that much.

Another great episode guys. I have officially integrated "there you go" into my daily routine.

Stuck in a boring meeting at work..."There you go...next topic"
Girlfriend complaining... "Well there you go..."
Cop pulls you over... "there you go!"

LOVE THE CAGcast!

I received my CAG bracelet in the mail yesterday, and I'm grateful. I will wear it proudly, and hopefully use the opportunity to evangelize anybody who asks me about it.

I will be actively looking at all wrists in NYC (where I work) and LI (where I live) for fellow CAGers. World domination can't be far off.

Thanks, Cheapy.

PS, Cheapy and Wombat have been with me at the beach, in the car, at the gym, on morning runs, at Disney World, at work, on the train, etc. Having been listening to the show since episode 1, I take pride in its success, and feel blessed for having shared the journey. My wife understands none of this (and she hasn't forgiven me for making her watch the blowfish video).

[quote name='apokalipze2']I'm on the same boat. I tried cagforeplay but I wasn't digging at all that much.[/quote]i listend the first 2 and thought they were boring and they sounded really nervous
but i started listening again a few episodes and i think their pretty good now
this last one did get kinda boring near the end i think, cuz it was so long, cag foreplay is best as a 30-40 min podcast

Hey Cheapy, I was late listening this time as my main computer won't stay on for more than 5 minutes. 2 services trips later it is STILL doing that (aftter 2 system board replacements) and now I need to send it away...

Anyway, you probably aren't reading this at this point, but I just thought the "pain free" birth thing was funny. When we had our first kid (here in the US), my wife was trying to find a place where she could NOT get the epidural (or, more accurately, convince her doctor not to insist on it). I assume that's what you are talking about. I forget the specifics, but it isn't so much the "retardedness" that is the issue, but that the epidural keeps you stationary, and that can lead to further interventions including Caesarian births (which are WAY too high in this country as a result).

Anyway, my wife was determined to go the pain-FULL route. The problem was that she stalled during labor. If she was on an epidural this almost certainly would have led to a Caesarian section, but she was able to fight through it and ended up being induced. Now the women here may know about this, but the chemically-induced contractions are MORE painful than normal ones and she did it all without any painkillers except for a small analgesic towards the end. She proceeded to do the same thing with the next 2 kids (including the last one who was near 11 lbs).

We're now due for our 4th on Nov. 10th. I didn't realize you were late October, Cheapy. I had thought yours was much earlier than mine for some reason. We haven't really talked about it, so I'm not sure what she's planning this time. She's older now and may simply not want to put up with the pain this time, so we'll see.

And Wombat, if you call Cheapy old one more time, I'm gonna smack ya ;).

How many mins in, cheapy talks about his blister? cause i listened to the show and i missed that part. maybe because i wasnt paying attention.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I just read an interview with the designer for Uncharted: Drake's Foturne. When asked about what she says when people call it 'Tomb Raider with a Guy' (looking at you Cheapy), her response was good:

She then goes on to say the obvious things one would expect like what she thinks is better about her game, blah, blah, blash.

But I like her point. We don't refer to Halo as 'Quake with a Spartan', so why Tomb Raider with a Guy?. :D
[/quote]

Because people like disarming PS3's good exclusives. Thats the only reason.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']CheapyD mentions CagForeplay alot, and that its an amazing show.

But, I dont want to be mean or anything, but does anyone else think that CagForeplay is really boring?[/QUOTE]

I really can't get into a show where a wife nags at the husband, to me that's how I see CAGfore play. Would rather listen to 1up, digg or gamespot.

Hey Cheapy, got my CAG bracelet today. Thanks a lot for doing that! And pass along my thanks to your mom. I see she had a little more work to do, since she added 17 cents more postage to the envelope.

bread's done
Back