CAGs, help me understand this "deal" I got from GS today...

NovaKane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Kind of a long read. I just want to be as detailed as possible.

I traded-in 35 games today so I could take advantage of the trade 5 or more and get %30 extra (stacked with Edge for another 10%). Ok, everything is cool so far.

All of a sudden, they start hounding me about what fucking games I want to reserve. I tell them I don't want to reserve anything. Then they bring up this crap about you get $15 free ($5 back for each game you reserve when you pick up the games).

They kept insiting I take this deal to because I'll get more "bonus" credit towards the games I just traded in (keep this in mind).

I said what's the point if I don't want the games I reserve. They start telling me crap about a survey to see what's in demand and numbers to help the company blah blah blah. It all sounded like bullshit.

Anyway, I end up reserving three games just so they would shut the fuck up. I leave the store, look at my reciept and notice that this free $15 had no impact on the games I just traded-in. The chick said that I ended up getting an extra $50 dollars because I did the pre-orders which again was bullshit. I just got my normal 40% bonus for each game like I was suppose to. If anything I just lost $15 after trading in all that stuff.

I would've left with $191+ as opposed to $176+ had I not reserved anything. So did they beat me in the head or what? Or will I get this $15 back when I cancel the pre-orders. I'm definitely cancelling the pre-orders.

I always read on here that GS were savages with pushing pre-orders and I experienced it first hand :bomb:

I say you go back and fuck'em up. Or you can cancel your pre-order next time that youre there. Just make sure that its the same person.

The employee was likely mistaken, and not informed that the trade-in towards reservations bonus (which does exist), does NOT stack with other promotions other than Edge. The system will automatically choose the promotion that gets you the better deal.

As for the reservations, you can cancel them and receive a refund in store credit (as this is what you paid with for them).
If they are for games you are planning on buying anyway, and likely at that store, you will lose nothing if you keep the reserve and receive your credit back toward the purchase of that title.

glittergun.jpg

'nuff said.

I don't see the problem with telling them to shut up..... just ignore them.

Actually giving in to the pre-orders just fuels them to keep doing it because it WORKS...

that was step 2 of not doing the right thing....

step 1 was going to that Gamestop...

You have a receipt, go back and get the Manager, explain the situation and get a name of the employee. Then see if you can get the Dis Manager's number to complain.

Ask for your refund on the preorders.

I think what the GS employee was saying was the additional 50% on trade in credit to pre-order games.... which is above the 30+10 that you used...

You would honestly have made about 15-20 more, which sounds like your story...

BUT....

Either the GS is r-tard and didn't apply it which you only had to preorder 1 title.... or she screwed up and never did and made you pre-order 3.....

I think the GS was trying to tell you something, but either she failed or you failed to comprehend or both did and obviously the execution failed since you're now having to go back and fix it.

I think inserting a backbone and/or balls would have fixed part of this problem. Say no next time.

You got hustled. Go back to the same store and cancel all three pre-orders on the spot. Expect some resistance, but they can't stop you from doing it. Try to get the same person to cancel them for you, or you might piss off the guy who's working that day.

The moral of this story? Never believe anything a GameStop employee says, ever.

I don't think she was mistaken. It sounded like she was saying all that crap to get some pre-orders. Her and the manager (who was hovering over her) were annoying the shit out of me with all that stuff. I can't wait to cancel. I'm thinking about going back right now to get it over with. Thanks for the replies. I am more wise to GS's wicked ways...

You shouldn't fold so easily. Just shows them what they do works. They can talk preorders up all they want, but they cannot force them upon you. You chose to preorder the games.

Go back and cancel them if you don't want them.

All of the people working my local GS stores know better than to pester me with pre-ordering some garbage, since I have told them all point blank that I refuse to pre-order/reserve anything due mainly to the shitfest known as State Of Emergency.

They've also stopped the 'anything to trade' shpeel on me, since I also refuse to trade there unless I'm getting some incredible deal or they're actually LOSING money on my trades.

UPDATE:

So I got my $15 back with the quickness. No questions. She looked surprised when I said I wanted to cancel everything. The manager wasn't around this time which made the process easy for me (and her probably).

In the end I lost time which is just as important as money. I did however gain first hand experience of just how persistant GS is with their pre-orders. Oh well, shit like this I learn from and keep it movin'.

Thanks again ppl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two possible ideas to what happened.

-- The employee was trying to cheat on her numbers by getting you to reserve things you wont pick up and hoping that you wouldn't check your receipt on how much it actually cost.

-- The employee didn't understand the 10% reserve bonus would not stack with the other promotion you already used.

Its more likely number one.

I would contact the DM about how she was basically saying to reserve stuff you wont pick up just for the extra money. Basically unethical sales practices you shouldn't have to deal with.

your fault for cracking. If once isn't enough to tell them to shut up, get mean.

Really annoying when employees beg you for reserves (though it's a shitty policy to require quotas.)

Was the woman atleast good looking? I can MAYBE understand giving in and saying "Yeah I preorder this and that" But if you got huslted by a big bitch Oh lord no!

Just cancel the preorders, I've canceled a half dozen or more over the years. If you've never canceled before, they'll especially not give you any trouble.

[quote name='Mr.Swagga']Was the woman atleast good looking? I can MAYBE understand giving in and saying "Yeah I preorder this and that" But if you got huslted by a big bitch Oh lord no![/quote]

Yes...yes she was :cool: lol.

[quote name='Mr.Swagga']Was the woman atleast good looking? I can MAYBE understand giving in and saying "Yeah I preorder this and that" But if you got huslted by a big bitch Oh lord no![/quote]
There's a hot ass chick at my gamestop that makes me always fall for her damn preorder tricks. I don't even remember how many games I have preordered because of her. I do end up buying them though since they are all games that I wanted

There's one young woman who works at one of the local Gamestops who wears a low cut top every so often and well.......:whee::evil::twisted:=P~....I tend to gravitate more to asking her questions while I'm there, even if someone else was helping me originally. :lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']There's one young woman who works at one of the local Gamestops who wears a low cut top every so often and well.......:whee::evil::twisted:=P~....I tend to gravitate more to asking her questions while I'm there, even if someone else was helping me originally. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Hehehe, I have the gamertag of the girl that works at mine. Turns out she is an actual gamer and not an employee that knows crap. No one in my CoD4 party acts the same when she's in there

There's a couple that're actual gamers from my local Gamestops(though I don't think their DM is, since he supposedly took joy in snapping the boards inside N64 games instead of shipping them out like he was supposed to) and I know the one manager was always raving about the PS3 and how good it is. The reliability plus all of the good things I'd heard about it is what made me decide to get a PS3 over a 360, even though the 360 is cheaper.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']There's a couple that're actual gamers from my local Gamestops(though I don't think their DM is, since he supposedly took joy in snapping the boards inside N64 games instead of shipping them out like he was supposed to) and I know the one manager was always raving about the PS3 and how good it is. The reliability plus all of the good things I'd heard about it is what made me decide to get a PS3 over a 360, even though the 360 is cheaper.[/quote]
God I hate fanboy employees. I once bought a game for the 360 and the guy said "You should have bought a PS3 since it's getting better and you don't have to pay for the online service", he went on rambling how 2008 is the PS3's "year" and I just said "both systems are great in their own ways and I simply prefer the 360 because I prefer their online service and it's worth the payment as long as I enjoy it" and then left. He got his fanboy panties in a bunch

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='NovaKane']*SNIP*
Anyway, I end up reserving three games just so they would shut the fuck up. *SNIP*[/QUOTE]

Whatever problems you might of had, are because of the above STUPID move. Stores pull that persistent crap because people like you go for it.

[quote name='dchrisd']Whatever problems you might of had, are because of the above STUPID move. Stores pull that persistent crap because people like you go for it.[/quote]

Meh, I never experienced the shit before so I got caught up in their bullshit talk. Big deal. I went back, cancelled asap, and got my money back. I learned from it. It's not that serious. It would be a different story if I just let it slide and acted like the $15 meant nothing.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']though I don't think their DM is, since he supposedly took joy in snapping the boards inside N64 games instead of shipping them out like he was supposed to[/quote]

Do you know how much fun it is to break that stuff. For a while I got to be the designated field destroy person for the district.

Take that Madden 2001!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']There's one young woman who works at one of the local Gamestops who wears a low cut top every so often and well.......:whee::evil::twisted:=P~....I tend to gravitate more to asking her questions while I'm there, even if someone else was helping me originally. :lol:[/QUOTE]

ahhhh yes young debbie. well she got fired for payroll theft. so you can droll all ya want there big guy lol

I'm glad it worked out for you OP. Next time they hound you about pre-orders, first say a polite "no thank you" and if they try to pressure you into buying a pre-order, inform them that you will be pre-ordering with another company if they keep it up. It works all the time as they have no bothered me about pre-ordering from there again.

This tactic works because my local GS did the same thing to me last year with LAIR. I was pre-ordering some game for the PS3 that I can't remember now and the guy asked, "Would you like to pre-order LAIR too? I heard it's going to be awesome." I said, "No thanks just this (insert pre-order here) for today." He said, "Are you sure? The only reason I ask is because we have a lot of people pre-order this game and it seems it's going to sell out everywhere." I looked back at him and stated, "In that case, I'll not only pre-order LAIR elsewhere but I will also cancel this pre-order. Are we clear?" He just said ok and rang me up for the original pre-order which I ended up canceling anyways later on.

The guy had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to buy LAIR the day it came out because I was in there buying another game that came out at the same time, or around the same time. I think it was Warhawk but I'm not quite sure. Anyways, I smiled and said "I thought it was selling out everywhere?" He just looked at me stupidly and said, "No we had a lot of cancellations recently so we have extra copies." What a load of crap. Anyways I ended up buying LAIR for $14 at Target on clearance a few months back :) Still not worth it either lol.

[quote name='whitedeath']ahhhh yes young debbie. well she got fired for payroll theft. so you can droll all ya want there big guy lol[/quote]

I was tempted to call her skunk girl the last time I was in there, since she had a whitish blonde streak going up the middle of her head. So, she got canned since last week or so? Damn.:cry: Now I have NO reason to go back to that Gamestop. :lol: Well, except to bug them for more guides to try and flip to Steve's shop(which was overflowing when I checked it last) in West Side. :lol:

[quote name='Ziv']Do you know how much fun it is to break that stuff. For a while I got to be the designated field destroy person for the district.

Take that Madden 2001![/quote]

I can only imagine, especially if the people coming in didn't up your pre-order numbers. Take that, random Madden gamer. Take that, random soccer mom who was too self important to get off her cell phone to say yes to pre-ordering (insert kid game here).

When I worked at the one department store here, we used to uhhhh 'oops' a 5 lb bag of chocolate covered pretzels with the utility knife about once a month. Those things were delicious, especially since they were free. While not the same perse, it was fun on occasion to take out frustration on the stock, even if it was 'accidental'.

We used to make a line of like 3-4 guys and chuck VCR's to each other to put them away in the stockroom, since they never made the hallway the stockrooms were in wide enough to facilitate the pallets. There were quite a few who were butterfingers and dropped a couple(which we marked with X's on the box, so if we went to buy them, we knew to send them back :lol:).

if the customer refuses, they really shouldn't be pushing too much to a point where the customer feels uncomfortable. if you still have the preorders, i would come back and get my credit back.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was tempted to call her skunk girl the last time I was in there, since she had a whitish blonde streak going up the middle of her head. So, she got canned since last week or so? Damn.:cry: Now I have NO reason to go back to that Gamestop. :lol: Well, except to bug them for more guides to try and flip to Steve's shop(which was overflowing when I checked it last) in West Side. :lol:

she did have a nice set i was half tempted to tell her that too :)

until i found out she was banging the asst. mgr john

[quote name='whitedeath']

until i found out she was banging the asst. mgr john[/quote]

I think that's the only way some of the women working at the local stores stay employed there really, though I'm sure they get their unfair share of game nerds coming in that will do anything for them. However, she was SOL with me, since I refuse to reserve anything with Gamestop, since I don't have any credit I got cheap from trading clearance games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheCheapestGamer
There's a couple that're actual gamers from my local Gamestops(though I don't think their DM is, since he supposedly took joy in snapping the boards inside N64 games instead of shipping them out like he was supposed to) and I know the one manager was always raving about the PS3 and how good it is. The reliability plus all of the good things I'd heard about it is what made me decide to get a PS3 over a 360, even though the 360 is cheaper.
God I hate fanboy employees. I once bought a game for the 360 and the guy said "You should have bought a PS3 since it's getting better and you don't have to pay for the online service", he went on rambling how 2008 is the PS3's "year" and I just said "both systems are great in their own ways and I simply prefer the 360 because I prefer their online service and it's worth the payment as long as I enjoy it" and then left. He got his fanboy panties in a bunch

Dude last friday i went to pick up Gears of War for 40 bucks at gamestop since my original copy got scratched and I already had five dollars on fable 2 so i figured id take it off and if it is as good as promised just pick it up when it comes out.....

Well I am like just this man to the guy working and i want to take my fable 2 pre order off the guy then like FREAKED OUT he is like OMG THIS GAME IS THE BEST GAME EVER!@!!!111 and you shouldnt take your pre order off I loved the first it was CRAZY!!! blah blah you keep your pre order on ill give you this bonous card and I am like do i get anything if I pre order GOW2 he goes NO YOU GET THE GAME DUH! and I go wow dude you gotta calm down just ring me up.

Point of storry game stop is teh suck and they need to learn what professionalism is?

bread's done
Back