CAGs Most Ordered in August 2008 - Amazon

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
#1 Gears of War 2 Amazon.com Exclusive Lancer

CAGs my ass.... almost $100 for a useless piece of crap...

oh well, I wonder where i'll hang mine :)

I love that Factoid; Despite the heaping loads of disdain I have read from other CAGs about the lancer bundle I can see that I am not the only "sucker" in this bag of sour lollipops.

Now who want to mock chainsaw duel with me come November? I'll bring the shame balm if you bring the embarrassment salve.

I still haven't pre-ordered my GoW2 Lancer
Still wondering as to whether I will or not
Probably purchase it with my paycheck in october lol

Hey Cheapy!

I think this is a great and interesting way to guage the buying habits of CAG. I know maybe it is a little too personal (since it could in theory be used to find out your salary from Amazon), but the only thing that would also be great would be the number of orders.

Either way though this is great and I'm loving features like this!

[quote name='Gillums']The one that shocks me is Final Fantasy XI. Had no idea that would still be popular.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really. Must have been on sale or something. Uncharted and Ratchet would have been higher up there if the gold box sale for them lasted for longer then 3 minutes.

Pretty cool Cheapy, you should make this a monthly regular.

[quote name='Slayzz']I'm surprised there's no Wii games.[/QUOTE]

They're all in the top 25 ordered over at Casual Ass Gamer.

No wonder you love the Xbox 360 so much... But on a serious note, this type of list is really interesting and almost answers questions in my mind like "What type of gamer uses CAG?", "Which are/were the best deals on Amazon?", and "How addicted are gamers to plastic gizmos?".

Anecdotally, I think many CAGs got "cheap" because they are insane collector types. (Not unlike me.) So it's not that we aren't willing to spend some money; it's that we are so high-consumption we're forced to find creative ways to add to our collections without breaking the bank.

One of the original appeals of CAG to me was that it was one of the only marketplaces for tchotchkes like guide books and action figures and the like, other than overpriced eBay. Looking at tradelists, I'm far from the only one who feels this way.

[quote name='beeporama']Anecdotally, I think many CAGs got "cheap" because they are insane collector types. (Not unlike me.) So it's not that we aren't willing to spend some money; it's that we are so high-consumption we're forced to find creative ways to add to our collections without breaking the bank.

One of the original appeals of CAG to me was that it was one of the only marketplaces for tchotchkes like guide books and action figures and the like, other than overpriced eBay. Looking at tradelists, I'm far from the only one who feels this way.[/quote]

I think there is a ring of truth to that; However, combine that idea with the fact that many people feel that the majority of games shouldn't be released at the top tier price (which is what drove me to CAG) and you see why many of us see CAG as a movement and not just a community.

Which again begs the question of why family games and casual games (Wii titles being the exception) continue to be the only ones that seem to be released at a lower price? I can think of many games that didn't warrant a "full" price launch and might have benefited from reduced launch pricing. I know it has been discussed ad nauseum but I am no longer buying this "consumers will think the product is inferior" argument. Personally, I think there is serious developer ego issues in the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be a real cheap ass. I didn't buy any games in August.

I used to be the high consumption type that came here to save money and talk about games.

[quote name='ramatut4001']They're all in the top 25 ordered over at Casual Ass Gamer.[/quote]

ha, that's awesome

There are only a few games on that list that I'm really interested in, and I'm pretty sure they will be availble at BM locations on release.

Wow, I'm surprised FFXI is in the top ten. I wonder if those are new players or people just getting it for the expanison. Either way still amazed that it's selling either way.

[quote name='depascal22']Alot of people here have kids, siblings, nephews/nieces, and other family and friends that don't like to play Gears all day.[/quote]

I get that but it's weird since there were no Wii tittles on the top 25. Weird IMO because usually Wii tittles get bought for kids, maybe the Wii has started to lose momentum. ;)

[quote name='eliter1']I get that but it's weird since there were no Wii tittles on the top 25. Weird IMO because usually Wii tittles get bought for kids, maybe the Wii has started to lose momentum. ;)[/quote]

I think it's because most people want to buy games that include accessories (sp?) brand new from Amazon. I never buy used controllers and mics because I don't know who's been handling it or slobbering all over it. I'm not a huge germaphobe but I'm the type to bring my own controllers over to someone's house.

Also, there are alot of limited/collector's editions on the list. I think it's because people want those mint for collection purposes. You can take a chance on the Trading forums, Goozex, or other places but Amazon will reimburse you or replace the game if it comes all dented up.

As for the Wii games, most of the games are easily traded for here or on Goozex. Besides, there wasn't a blockbuster release in August that everyone had to have.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']Looking at it closer, I didn't buy any of those games.[/QUOTE]

I bought one ... and it didn't come with a Lancer.

Verrry interesting. Thanks for posting this Cheapy. A few surprises in there, and I did bite on a few of those pre-orders myself.

How did I miss #2? I don't even know what price it was selling at before it got canceled.

[quote name='ramatut4001']They're all in the top 25 ordered over at Casual Ass Gamer.[/QUOTE]

That made me lol.

And I know I pre-ordered Banjo-Kazooie and Gears of War 2 LE thanks to that BML promo plus the BK XBLA download code.

Pre-ordered Fable 2 LE too, but it was from Gamestop. Shhhh... don't tell Cheapy! :whistle2:#

[quote name='depascal22']Alot of people here have kids, siblings, nephews/nieces, and other family and friends that don't like to play Gears all day.[/QUOTE]

Just because someone doesn't like Gears doesn't mean you have to punish them.

I'm not big on posting but this really says it all about the cheap gamer. When was the last time cheapy or wombat talked about an older game? Cheapy all you have to do is put on a wig and call yourself morgan webb and I can stop watching xplay.....Yeap that means your adam wombat.

[quote name='rainking187']Just because someone doesn't like Gears doesn't mean you have to punish them.[/quote]

You completely missed my point. I love Gears and am still playing online. Thing is, I wouldn't ever recommend it for someone under the age of 16 because of the graphic violence. So what do you buy for a 12 year old sister? You certainly can't give her a copy of Gears and tell her to have fun. You buy a game like Singstar and tell her to have fun while the grown folks are chainsawing each other up.

[quote name='depascal22']You completely missed my point. I love Gears and am still playing online. Thing is, I wouldn't ever recommend it for someone under the age of 16 because of the graphic violence. So what do you buy for a 12 year old sister? You certainly can't give her a copy of Gears and tell her to have fun. You buy a game like Singstar and tell her to have fun while the grown folks are chainsawing each other up.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy them a copy of Zelda, or maybe Shadow of the Colossus. There are plenty of great games out there in the T rated category that you shouldn't have to dip into shovelware. Or you could just get something like The Sims. But a High School Musical game? Never.

Too bad they pulled the price protection...or I might be buying from them -- but I'm on hold for now in buying games from Amazon.

[quote name='rainking187']I'd buy them a copy of Zelda, or maybe Shadow of the Colossus. There are plenty of great games out there in the T rated category that you shouldn't have to dip into shovelware. Or you could just get something like The Sims. But a High School Musical game? Never.[/quote]

Wait until you have kids. You think "Yeah, I'll show them all the games I used to love and play all the time." but it never works out that way. All they want is SpongeBob and whatever is hot at the moment. Think about it. Did you want to watch Deputy Dog cartoons back in the day or did you like Tranformers and G.I. Joe? Or for the younger set, did you want to watch Scooby Doo or did you want to watch Power Rangers and Pokemon? I agree that Zelda and Shadow of the Colossus are superior choices for gaming but you have to get games that kids will play or there's not really any point to getting them a game. High School Musical is a very popular Disney series that alot of tween girls love to watch. So those movies, games, CDs, etc. will sell alot right now. It's not that we want to buy that crap for our kids but they want it and it's not really all that bad for kids to be watching a show about singing and dancing is it?

I didn't preorder anything, but I sure as hell am getting Gears 2. Probably regular edition, because the Lancer doesn't look like its worth it, and the limited edition is a bit meh to me.

bread's done
Back