CakePHP or Ruby on Rails if I already know PHP?

quadomatic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I was wondering about which framework would be best for web application development - Ruby on Rails or CakePHP? I already know a decent amount of PHP, so I'm not sure how useful it would be to learn Ruby. Also I heard about the problems Twitter has with RoR so I figure it might not be all its cracked up to be.

I don't feel like I'm that well versed in PHP though, so moving to Ruby probably wouldn't be a huge deal for me, since a lot of the stuff I would be learning for the first time, rather than relearning things.

Everything I know for PHP was used for this website (it was for a competition): http://www.destinationchicagousa.com

Its not that great, but look at it to decide how much PHP I may actually know.

What do you think? Cake or Rails?

[quote name='ryan838']What kind of web application development? Personal or business?[/QUOTE]

Right now I'm not sure. I'm looking into doing some website work over summer vacation. I've already done some so that could work for references, and I got top 10 at Business Professionals of America Nationals for XHTML, so that would help with finding work too (I hope).

I was hoping I would start some sort of project on my own. I'm not really sure what yet...I'm just trying to think of ideas.

If I were to do work for others, it would be a no brainer to go for CakePHP, since Ruby servers are more difficult to come by and probably more expensive. Right now I'm looking at the CakePHP documentation. I'm not familiar with the concept of MVC but it sounds nice.

However, looking at some Ruby on Rails samples, it seems like the code is a lot simpler and easier to understand. I'm not sure...

[quote name='quadomatic']Right now I'm not sure. I'm looking into doing some website work over summer vacation. I've already done some so that could work for references, and I got top 10 at Business Professionals of America Nationals for XHTML, so that would help with finding work too (I hope).

I was hoping I would start some sort of project on my own. I'm not really sure what yet...I'm just trying to think of ideas.

If I were to do work for others, it would be a no brainer to go for CakePHP, since Ruby servers are more difficult to come by and probably more expensive. Right now I'm looking at the CakePHP documentation. I'm not familiar with the concept of MVC but it sounds nice.

However, looking at some Ruby on Rails samples, it seems like the code is a lot simpler and easier to understand. I'm not sure...[/QUOTE]

I would suggest studying CakePHP first. Its good to be familar with a variety of languages but I think design paradigms are much more important to learn. MVC is widely used for web applications and it would be valuable for you to know especially if you want to start doing web programming professionally.

bread's done
Back