California Food Thread

[quote name='The Shiznit']Some of my favorite Mexican food restaurants:
King Taco - The Carne Asada here is badass (several locations throughout LA)
El Tepeyac - Get the Manny's Special (burrito will feed 3-4 easily
Marquez Restaurant in Norwalk. Killer Handmade Tortillas - Every Sunday the family and I get some Carnitas, Tortillas and some Menudo. http://www.marquezrestaurant.com/[/QUOTE]

King Taco's burritos are pretty good. El tepeyac is too much burrito though. One place to avoid is Dos Burritos, they have lousy food and lame salsas.

No one has mentioned Zankou chicken. I love the hummus and the Schwarma (spelling is off on that) Is it a Cali exclusive?

[quote name='62t']for Japanese food you can't beat Sushi House in Alameda.[/QUOTE]
My favorite restaurant in the entire world is Aji Ichi on San Mateo Ave. in San Bruno. Best beef teryaki and tempura I've ever had, I really dont like Japanese food other than that place but they make it so awesome. Pretty damn cheap too (its in downtown San Bruno so you know its cheap and casual).

My San Diego Favorites:

Las Cuatros Milpas. Anyone in San Diego MUST eat here. Best REAL Mexican Food this side of the border.

Bronx Pizza. Thin crust, New York style pizza. Very Tasty.

Point Loma Seafoods. The Calamari or Crab Cake Sandwiches are simply amazing.

[quote name='praystation']For Indonesian/ Malaysian / SIngaporean / Thai food, there is a place called "Banana Island" in Daly City (san mateo county).[/QUOTE]

Good restrauant, but the prices seem a bit high compared to the amount of food served. It's about 5 minutes away from my house, so I go there once in awhile with family.

Murder Burger in Davis (renamed to Redrum now, but Murder is a much better name) has some good quality burgers. It's a good place to go if In-N-Out lines are too long. There's also one in SF, but I haven't been there, so I can't say how good that is.

I'll post more when I have time.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']No one has mentioned Zankou chicken. I love the hummus and the Schwarma (spelling is off on that) Is it a Cali exclusive?[/QUOTE]

I can't believe I forgot about that place. That's good grub. A little pricey but worth it.

^_^

All of you guys make me hungry. I can list some of my fav places to eat around SoCali. (besides In-&-Out and such).

So here it is:

In the San Diego Area:

* Chopstix on Convoy. I love that place for their Japanese curry. My friends like their ramen and udons. Check that place out.

* Tajima on Convoy. You know, this place is really interesting to eat Japanese foods BESIDES sushi. I only go there for their okonamiyaki and a few other dishes I'm tempted to try. My friends and I are trying to eat everything on the menu. I know Thurs. to Sat. they open really late and they only serve ramen during those times. Whenever I go in there, they're usually really busy. I guess their ramen and udons are a must there.

* Sushi Deli 2 in downtown near Horton Plaza. My friends love this place not only for the sushi, but for the sake bombs. I think they're okay, but the rice can get dry. They got some really good tempura ice cream, though. A must try and a rare find to find any dessert menu in a Japanese restaurant.

* Ichiban/Niban/Sanban (literally translate to "Number 1"/"Number 2"/"Number 3"). There's one in downtown in the Gaslamp District (Sanban), Clairemont near Boomers (formally known as Family Fun Center) and Walmart (Niban), and there's one in Pacific Beach (Ichiban). I like this place for their combo-bento-meal. The only reason why I don't eat there often because they only accept cash.

* Corvet Diner between Hillcrest and downtown. Whenever I go there, it's usually busy. I just love the gravy fries AND the milkshakes. Gotta love the Bazooka gum they throw at you.

* Extraordinary Dessert somewhere in downtown. My friend took me to this place one night (and I didn't catch the exact location), and that place is to DIE for when it comes to dessert. Guys, do you guys a favor and buy a slice or two for your girlfriends. The desserts are beautifully decorated with REAL floral arrangements. Their tea are great, too. This place is insanely busy if you drop by at night. I remember waiting for a little more than 30 minutes for a slice of tres leche cake, tea, and creme brule...and DAMN was it worth it.

* Rei Do Gado in downtown near Horton Plaza. This place is a Brazillian buffet and it's only worth it going during lunch time. I say that because it's basically the same food as the dinner menu, but way cheaper. I'm talking about $14 per person for lunch time and $25-ish during dinner per person. This place is interesting because the waiter/waitress goes around the place and serve you meat. That's their speciality, MEAT. If you're a meat-lover, this is a place for you. If you're a girl like me, looking at the waiter is an extra bonus because most of them are candies for the eyes.

* L&L's near the SDSU area (El Cajon Blvd near Woodstock Pizza -- which I think their pizza are okay) and near UCSD area (the one near Papa John's Pizza) and in Mira Mesa (the strip mall, in the Vons area). I love this place for some cheap Islands/Hawaiian foods. I've tried this place when they had it in the Los Angeles area and finally franchaise down to the San Diego area. They're great, but they're not for the health-nut.

* Karl Strauss Brewery Restaurants between Mira Mesa and Sorrento Valley area. It's kinda hidden and you have to MapQuest it. They're known for their beers, but I just love their appetizer!

* Tea Station near 99 Ranch in Clairemont and a few other locations. I like their pearl tea/boba drinks there because they use fancy cups if you eat in instead of ordering out. I just love honey dew anything. Honestly, you can find a lot of boba shops around in San Diego, but the good ones are up in Orange County.

As for Mexican foods, I'd say most taco shop I've been to are good. I just don't have a favorite. I just go by, "the closer to the border, the better the Mexican food."

Same goes to the Vietnamese foods. Most of my friends are crazy about pho. Personally, I only like Hoa Cali pho places.

For Orange County Area:

* Lee's Sandwiches. I found one in Irvine. I heard this is Vietnamese sandwich franchaise. I like it all right, and I know a lot of people are crazy about it. I heard there's one up in San Jose, but none in San Diego. I find that strange considering San Diego has a decent Vietnamese population.

* The little eateries in Mitsuwa in the Costa Mesa area. I found a place where they serve strawberry mousse cake and melon soda float. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, I don't know what would.

* Sonics where I actually found one in Anahiem near Disneyland. You know the funny thing is? They advertise it so much in San Diego, but I couldn't find one in the area. You can imagine my surprise when I actually found it. I don't know why people go crazy over their foods (maybe their fries are good), but I totally love their watermelon cream shakes.

* Tommy's in the Westminster from what I remember. Wow, they give so much chilli in their burgers and fries.

For the Los Angeles Area:

* Curry House in Little Tokyo. As much as I love Japanese curry, this place reminds me of instant curry, but in a good way. I love their different selection of curry AND how spicy I want it. I should try their other foods on the menu sometime because everything looks good. Oh, the dessert is really different compare to the other Japanese restaurant I've been to. Instead of the usual scoop of ice cream or mochi, they have PARFAIT and sweet potato ice cream. I must come back for their curry and dessert menu!

* Pit Burger in Gardena. It's really a hole in the wall and their terriyaki beef bowl is really what they specialize for. Either the case, no matter what the place looks like, the food is really...addicting. Well, more like if I ever make a pit stop to LA, this is the place I splurge my money on. Forget being on a diet! In all honestly, I love this place, and it took me forever to find this place again. I'll provide address or exact location if anyone is adventurous.

* Kings Hawaiian in Torrance. Wow. Have you ever try their sweet bread? You can buy the sweet bread in any supermarket, but damn, eating it in the restaurant is so much better. In all honestly, when people ask me what's my favorite restaurant, it's this place. I got a lot of fond memories with this place...and I totally dig the food. The Paradise cake is a must if anyone going for dessert. Also, the waiters and waitresses are usually candies for the eyes as well. :)

* The Local (or something like that) and it's somewhere in Torrance near a freeway entrance. It's Kings Hawaiian but minus a sit-in-a-nice restaurant part and add in the faster-serve-food type formula.

Well, there's the list of a few of my favorite places. I'm still trying to know new people so I can know a few more good places to eat. So, I'm taking notes in this thread. Hehehe. :)

For Burritos, La Victorias in San Jose...the burritos are okay...but the sauce that they have...dear lord...I use a whole ketchup bottle worth of their sauce...it's that good

For Pizza, Pleasure Pizza in Santa Cruz....some damn good pizza there....and a surf board with a jet engine attached to it!

For Sushi, Nippons in San Bruno(?)...it's on/near skyline blvd. a lot of sushi for not so much.

For Breakfast in general, Millbrae House of Pancakes in Millbrae...prices are sometimes a little steep for me, but the waffles and pancakes....mmm mmm good

For Deli Sandwiches, Little Luccas in Burlingame/Millbrae on El Camino in the Plaza. I heard it's a chain so they're probably in other places too. Some of the largest deli sandwiches and oh so good.

I also hear that the Stinky Rose is a good place in San Francisco.

[quote name='Panda']For Orange County Area:

* Lee's Sandwiches. I found one in Irvine. I heard this is Vietnamese sandwich franchaise. I like it all right, and I know a lot of people are crazy about it. I heard there's one up in San Jose, but none in San Diego. I find that strange considering San Diego has a decent Vietnamese population.[/QUOTE]

There's also one in Garden Grove that I know of. Aside from the great sandwiches, I also like their iced coffee drinks.

yo headrush u seem real bitter man, either u coulda not taken the things I said too seriously, or u jus coulda been mad coz it's all true. Plus, u forgot to quote the parts about E3 and lurking in our forums! oooh!!!

rowned.gif

anyway...

ch3zyp00fs>> where is Philly's Best?!?!?! I reside in Irvine but never seen the place... sounds like I wanna go there.

Panda>> yo... seriously Sonics advertises the hell out of u, I always wondered where they were coz I never seen one before. When I went to Texas like 2 years ago I saw some dudes w/ Sonic cups on the subway and was quite amazed!! I found the anaheim location over the summer and seriously dropped like $16 there jus coz it's like OMG Im at Sonics! The food there isnt really the best, but it's still a place u should go to jus becoz.

oh... and I don like Lee's Sandwiches. it was good the first time I ate it, but I got sick of it after time #3... it's real popular tho.

some more:

Genki Living (in Irvine on Jeffrey and Irvine Center Drive, or in Rowland Heights in Diamond Plaza)
This is like... Japanese junk food snack central!! The crepes are excellent and I also love the Takoyaki. My friend likes the Taiyaki too! The only issue about this place is the crepes are more on the crunchy side, as some people prefer them softer (me personally I do not care)

Gina's Pizza (http://www.ginaspizza.com/locations/)
there's one by where I live. They put massive toppings on their pizzas yo!! Speaking of pizza tho, the east coast destroys us in this food. New York Pizza is something else, I wanna go back there jus to eat it again (I went in like 1999)

Noodle Planet / Noodle World (http://www.noodleworld.com/ and http://www.noodleplanet.com/)
kinda like how all these alertos / alejandros are all the same, these two are the same as well. One of the best asian restaurants for real, the menu is massive and the food is delicious! In Noodle World on Valley in Alhambra they even got a boba thing and shaved ice inside! it's such a great dessert that's better than a lot of other boba places.

Arthur's Restaurant in Downey for Breakfast
Tam's Burgers - several locations through So Cal
That's Amore Pizza in Whittier - Good Grub + big ole Schooners of beer. After the kids softball/baseball games we usuall go here.

[quote name='JEKKI']

Alertos (off Brookhurst in westminster of fountain valley or something, east of the 405, there's prolly hella other places jus like it too)
burritos are my favorite. I really like this place by my pad called "Arriba Grill" but there's lot of places making food like that. What Alertos does is straight up cook their meat in lard!! Damn I want a carne asada burrito w/ cheese rite now (but I jus drank a whole slurpee).[/QUOTE]

I eat at Alertos and Arriba Grill in FV often too. Great stuff. Nothing compared to Jalapeno's in Fullerton off of State College by the 57. That place is damn good. Seriously you have to check it out if you're near the area. They have other locations, one in Irvine but Its not as good as the one in Fullerton.

[quote name='nakanenui']"the loft" that was in gardena/torrance area closed. (Owners split the company, i think). They are now known as "back home at lahaina" which is pretty reasonable for hawaiian/local food price vs taste. I know I eat there alot. Gotta get the bacon fried rice, grindz. There is also bruddahs and kings hawaiian bakery.[/QUOTE]

Bacon Fried rice is the shit, damn that sounds good right now. Jekki the location of The Loft in HB is right by Edwards (Regal) Charter Theater, corner of Beach and Warner. There's one in Cypress as well on the corner of Cerritos and Valley View.

I HIGHLY recommend La Pinata in Alameda, great food and open late. They have 4 other bay area locations.

Here are my top pizza places in the bay:

Dopo - Very reminiscent of thin crust pizza I had in Italy (which was the best ever).

Gaspare's (on geary in SF) - Really good new york style. Authentico.

Lanesplitter (san pablo in berkeley) - The best corner pizza place. Thin crust without all of the bread so common in bay area pizza.

Fellini (university in berkeley) - In between gourmet and new york style.

Zachary's (on college or solano in berkeley) - Their chicago style is good, even if my dad disapproved (I'm from Chicago).

Cheeseboard/Arizmendi (shattuck in berkeley, lakeshore or san pablo in oakland) - only one kind of pizza a day, but it's always good. Crazy gourmet toppings (eg potato, corn, leeks, goat cheese), thin crust and plenty of oil, mmmmmmm.

Tommaso's (on kearny in SF) - Good stuff, haven't been there in a while, so I don't remember all that much.

Amici's (various locations) - Another good new york style thin crust chain. Too bad they are all far away from me.

[quote name='Murcielago77']Fat Slice (SF and Berkley) - Best pizza I have ever eaten. Slices are big and thick. Crust is crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle. Large selection of optional toppings too. Its on height st in SF, i dont know about the berkley one though[/QUOTE]

no, no no Zacharies pizza(the deep dish anyways) is the best bay area pizza. Sheesh that is really the only thing i miss about not being in nocal.

La Vals pizza is very good as well(the one in south berkeley has better sauce than the one in north berkeley)

[quote name='Xevious']Zachary's Pizza owns all!

They are in Oakland and Solano.[/QUOTE]

exactly. I would kill for some zachary's right now. I really want some deep dish pizza, i have not been eating nearly enough lately.

[quote name='dracula']no, no no Zacharies pizza(the deep dish anyways) is the best bay area pizza. Sheesh that is really the only thing i miss about not being in nocal.

La Vals pizza is very good as well(the one in south berkeley has better sauce than the one in north berkeley)[/QUOTE]

I like blondies the best personally, and fyi the fat slice in berkeley is where else? but on telegraph.

fat slice is far too greasy. Not half as tasty as la vals imo.(but i guess if you are hella stoned and got the munchies and are on telegraph and cant be bothered to walk all the way to la vals just grab a slice at fat slice)

blondies burgers doesnt have pizza(i dont think so anyways) If you are talking about a different blondies, i take it back- i have not lived in nocal for about 10 years

how the fuck could i even forget gordo's? How the fuck has no one mentioned gordo's in this thread(in frisco and the east bay, excellent cheap burritos and plates- the pork plate is the best)

also how the fuck has no one mentioned high tech burrito? it is not as good or cheap as gordos but it has got to be mentioned(or are neither of these chains in business anymore?)

Cinco de Mayo here in Los Angeles is the shit. The best nachos on the planet...better yet it's also open 24 hours....

Speaking of restaurants besides Mexican....The Kettle in Manhattan Beach also locks it down. Anyone nearby knows about it. Also a 24 hour joint.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Bacon Fried rice is the shit, damn that sounds good right now. Jekki the location of The Loft in HB is right by Edwards (Regal) Charter Theater, corner of Beach and Warner. There's one in Cypress as well on the corner of Cerritos and Valley View.[/QUOTE]

Back Home in Lahaina's Charisu Fried Rice and their Hawaiian style chicken are great too.

Ok here are a few more that I love:

Chins - Rancho Bernardo (They are a bit pricey, but they have excellent Chinese food, high quality and extra tasty)

Casa de Pico - Grossmont Center (Formally at the Bazaar del Mundo in Old Town San Diego, the chicken taquitos are awesome and cheap)

Rice King - Rancho Bernardo (It's not exactly in RB, but I can't remember what town it technically falls into. I haven't been in ages, but it is much better than Panda Express for cheap chinese)

Bottoms Out - Temecula (I highly recommend the Bronx, and they also do pizza by the slice. Thin crust, and very good)

Hana Sushi - Temecula (Some of the best quality Japanese food I've had in a long time)

The Yardhouse - Downtown San Diego (Highly recommended)

Benihana - Carlsbad and Mission Valley (If you've never been, GO! It's excellent food and a fun thing to watch, they cook right in front of you and make a bit of a show out of it. Again, a little pricey, but well worth it IMO).

...and to the person that recommended Rei do Gado... bleh, not impressed ^^;; I've been there before for lunch and it just wasn't my taste at all.

Ya, Gina's is pretty good. But for Philly's Best, go down Barranca past the Target and past Islands. Then to your right there will be a plaza with Lampost Pizza, PhoBac, and lots of dentists/orthodontists. It's in there.

[quote name='JEKKI']yo headrush u seem real bitter man, either u coulda not taken the things I said too seriously, or u jus coulda been mad coz it's all true. Plus, u forgot to quote the parts about E3 and lurking in our forums! oooh!!!

rowned.gif

anyway...

ch3zyp00fs>> where is Philly's Best?!?!?! I reside in Irvine but never seen the place... sounds like I wanna go there.

Panda>> yo... seriously Sonics advertises the hell out of u, I always wondered where they were coz I never seen one before. When I went to Texas like 2 years ago I saw some dudes w/ Sonic cups on the subway and was quite amazed!! I found the anaheim location over the summer and seriously dropped like $16 there jus coz it's like OMG Im at Sonics! The food there isnt really the best, but it's still a place u should go to jus becoz.

oh... and I don like Lee's Sandwiches. it was good the first time I ate it, but I got sick of it after time #3... it's real popular tho.

some more:

Genki Living (in Irvine on Jeffrey and Irvine Center Drive, or in Rowland Heights in Diamond Plaza)
This is like... Japanese junk food snack central!! The crepes are excellent and I also love the Takoyaki. My friend likes the Taiyaki too! The only issue about this place is the crepes are more on the crunchy side, as some people prefer them softer (me personally I do not care)

Gina's Pizza (http://www.ginaspizza.com/locations/)
there's one by where I live. They put massive toppings on their pizzas yo!! Speaking of pizza tho, the east coast destroys us in this food. New York Pizza is something else, I wanna go back there jus to eat it again (I went in like 1999)

Noodle Planet / Noodle World (http://www.noodleworld.com/ and http://www.noodleplanet.com/)
kinda like how all these alertos / alejandros are all the same, these two are the same as well. One of the best asian restaurants for real, the menu is massive and the food is delicious! In Noodle World on Valley in Alhambra they even got a boba thing and shaved ice inside! it's such a great dessert that's better than a lot of other boba places.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zon27']Cinco de Mayo here in Los Angeles is the shit. The best nachos on the planet...better yet it's also open 24 hours....[/QUOTE]

Hehe, speaking of which. You try the pastrami place next door? If so is it any good? Since Tito's tacos is nearby...ever watch the TV commercial for it?

The Hat (East L.A. or Brea) - Pastrami sandwich, onion rings and an Orange Bang :drool:
Original Roadhouse Grill (Long Beach)- Pretty good steaks, awesome Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']Ya, Gina's is pretty good. But for Philly's Best, go down Barranca past the Target and past Islands. Then to your right there will be a plaza with Lampost Pizza, PhoBac, and lots of dentists/orthodontists. It's in there.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I never heard of this place and it's in my area. I'll try to go there sometime. Any recommendations?

[quote name='Freshwillis']I HIGHLY recommend La Pinata in Alameda, great food and open late. They have 4 other bay area locations.

Here are my top pizza places in the bay:

Dopo - Very reminiscent of thin crust pizza I had in Italy (which was the best ever).

Gaspare's (on geary in SF) - Really good new york style. Authentico.

Lanesplitter (san pablo in berkeley) - The best corner pizza place. Thin crust without all of the bread so common in bay area pizza.

Fellini (university in berkeley) - In between gourmet and new york style.

Zachary's (on college or solano in berkeley) - Their chicago style is good, even if my dad disapproved (I'm from Chicago).

Cheeseboard/Arizmendi (shattuck in berkeley, lakeshore or san pablo in oakland) - only one kind of pizza a day, but it's always good. Crazy gourmet toppings (eg potato, corn, leeks, goat cheese), thin crust and plenty of oil, mmmmmmm.

Tommaso's (on kearny in SF) - Good stuff, haven't been there in a while, so I don't remember all that much.

Amici's (various locations) - Another good new york style thin crust chain. Too bad they are all far away from me.[/QUOTE]

cheeseboard rocks! i like zachary's except i always end up waiting like 3 hours when i go out with my friends.

for good mexican food in san diego, i go to super sergios on convoy st. *mouth waters* damnit, still so long before i can go home and have a good carne asada burrito or some carne asada fries.

Wow....I had no idea that Roadhouse Grill was a chain. They had one here on the East Coast and then it disappeared. Agreed, great Garlic Mashed Potatos...but..didn't realize they were a chain.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Wow....I had no idea that Roadhouse Grill was a chain. They had one here on the East Coast and then it disappeared. Agreed, great Garlic Mashed Potatos...but..didn't realize they were a chain.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is I didn't know they were a chain either. I thought Long Beach was the only one.

[quote name='The Shiznit']Funny thing is I didn't know they were a chain either. I thought Long Beach was the only one.[/QUOTE]

Apparrantly, they are a really *crappy* chain :)

We had one in CT that I knew of....maybe when they went belly up here, the moved out to your neighborhood :)

A quick check of google says that theremight be more than 1 "chain" called Roadhouse Grill. The roadhousegrill.com website says they dont operate in CT or at all in California, and a note says "No really, we dont, its the competition!". So I guess there is more than 1 chain calling itself Roadhouse.......

Mine was rustic, so-so Salad Bar...checkboard motif, checkerboard tablecloths...had a decent sized bar on one side. I dont think the roadhousegrill.com restaurants are the ones I'm thinking of, their menu doesn't hae the garlic mashed potatos on it.

cheezypoof>>
Thank u very much sir. Philly Best shouldnt be too hard to find, I used to work at that Target!!! (like 1.5 year ago~)

LinkinPrime>>
The Jalapenos in Irvine sucks ass... Is Fullerton that much better?? My friend lives rite off that exit, in a Barn nonetheless

[quote name='dracula']

La Vals pizza is very good as well(the one in south berkeley has better sauce than the one in north berkeley)[/QUOTE]

I'm no fan of La Vals. It doesnt matter anymore because they are no longer in Berkeley. They moved to Dublin.

[quote name='The Shiznit']Funny thing is I didn't know they were a chain either. I thought Long Beach was the only one.[/QUOTE]

Yep they are a chain http://www.originalroadhousegrill.com/ even though friends have told me about it and that I use to live in long beach I never went there. Whats good besides the mash?

[quote name='Noodle Planet / Noodle World ([url="http://www.noodleworld.com/"']http://www.noodleworld.com/[/url] and http://www.noodleplanet.com/)
kinda like how all these alertos / alejandros are all the same, these two are the same as well. [/QUOTE]

The reason these two seem alike is that one of the partners of noodleworld decide to go on his own.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Apparrantly, they are a really *crappy* chain :)

We had one in CT that I knew of....maybe when they went belly up here, the moved out to your neighborhood :)

A quick check of google says that theremight be more than 1 "chain" called Roadhouse Grill. The roadhousegrill.com website says they dont operate in CT or at all in California, and a note says "No really, we dont, its the competition!". So I guess there is more than 1 chain calling itself Roadhouse.......

Mine was rustic, so-so Salad Bar...checkboard motif, checkerboard tablecloths...had a decent sized bar on one side. I dont think the roadhousegrill.com restaurants are the ones I'm thinking of, their menu doesn't hae the garlic mashed potatos on it.[/QUOTE]

I have seen several different "Roadhouses", though they seem to be franchises. The one in San Marcos is called "Daltons Roadhouse", while the one in Temecula is called "The Original Roadhouse Grill". Their signs look very very similar, though I thought it was odd that they had different names... maybe they aren't related?

Oh, and here's another good one:

Big Daddy's Steakhouse - Escondido (Kinda near the Westfield Mall, formerly known as Spunky Steer. I've always liked this place.)

Can't believe the Angelenos havent mention anything bout the Thai food in L.A. You can't live in L.A. and not have a favorite thai restaurant. here's my top three:

1. Palms Thai in Hollywood. Great food!!! they also got selections of "game" thai food. I ordered frog legs one time, taste like chicken. Oh, and theres a Thai Elvis performing once in awhile.

2. Thai BBQ (all over L.A. and the valley). Everyone gotta try the S1 meal--which is a BBQ chicken, served with shrimp fried rice and dipping sauce. I also like the Chicken and Beef satay.

3. Krua Thai (valley). Open late. good thai food. close to my place. I hit this spot once a week and pick upr some chicken panang and combination fried rice.

Oh..not thai food...but theres a great Cuban restaurant all over L.A. also...Versailles

back when i lived in san diego, carne asada fries were the shit..

anyone in the bay area know of ANY place that has carne asada fries? i gotta admit that i haven't exactly looked around much for them, but i do know they're not as common around here..

any town/city is cool.. i'm usually out and about around the bay anyway

[quote name='Darwin23']3. Krua Thai (valley). Open late. good thai food. close to my place. I hit this spot once a week and pick upr some chicken panang and combination fried rice.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, that place is literally down my house. Definately good grub. I want to try out Palms one day.

Sam Woo BBQ: Even though I think there are some that are out of California, it is probably the best chinese food in my area.

In n Out: Best fast food hamburgers IMO and at a great price.

Lees sandwich: I like the banh mi thit there. :)

[quote name='Darwin23']

2. Thai BBQ (all over L.A. and the valley). Everyone gotta try the S1 meal--which is a BBQ chicken, served with shrimp fried rice and dipping sauce. I also like the Chicken and Beef satay.[/QUOTE]

i been there, it is pretty yummy, but overpriced iirc

[quote name='Darwin23']Can't believe the Angelenos havent mention anything bout the Thai food in L.A. You can't live in L.A. and not have a favorite thai restaurant. here's my top three:

1. Palms Thai in Hollywood. Great food!!! they also got selections of "game" thai food. I ordered frog legs one time, taste like chicken. Oh, and theres a Thai Elvis performing once in awhile.

2. Thai BBQ (all over L.A. and the valley). Everyone gotta try the S1 meal--which is a BBQ chicken, served with shrimp fried rice and dipping sauce. I also like the Chicken and Beef satay.

3. Krua Thai (valley). Open late. good thai food. close to my place. I hit this spot once a week and pick upr some chicken panang and combination fried rice.

Oh..not thai food...but theres a great Cuban restaurant all over L.A. also...Versailles[/QUOTE]there's this Thai place I went to in hollywood, I dont remember what the name is or where it's located

but like... the place DID NOT look like a thai restaurant

yet... when u look down at your food it's like...

oh shit! Im eating Thai food.

it was hella weird yo...

anyway I got back from dat Philly's best place.

good stuff!! but it's weird coz the bread is like... cold. Like they dont warm it up at all.

still Ill definately go back again, I wanna try the pizza fries!!

[quote name='JEKKI']there's this Thai place I went to in hollywood, I dont remember what the name is or where it's located

but like... the place DID NOT look like a thai restaurant

yet... when u look down at your food it's like...

oh shit! Im eating Thai food.

it was hella weird yo...

[/QUOTE]

What does the restaurant look like to make it different from a "regular" thai restaurant??

[quote name='Darwin23']What does the restaurant look like to make it different from a "regular" thai restaurant??[/QUOTE]I mean... it was weird.

like.. the walls were all dark w/ black light paintings (and some black lites of course)

and there were other framed pictures on the wall that had nothing to do w/ thailand

and probably a jukebox there as well with maybe some electric guitars on the wall too.

and of course, there werent a single asian person working there.

my memory of it isnt too good (it was early last year and I was drunk)

but.. yeah it was crazy.

and dudes, weinershnitzel sucks... 7-11 destroys them as the biggest hot dog chain, and their hot dogs taste less like crap than W's does.

[quote name='Darwin23']When it comes to hotdog, L.A. has the best. forget about the chicago dog or the grey's papaya hotdogs of new york---the best hotdog out there is L.A. downtown hotdogs from the street vendors. Hotdog wrapped in bacon with grilled onions, mayo, ketchup and mustard with a small grilled jalapeno pepper. I always get one of these whenever i watch the lakers at Staples.
4009775_20d44f76b0.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My god, that looks GREAT.

Casa Gamino - 2 locations that I know of are in Anaheim and Paramount. Sunday Brunch $6.99 all you can eat.

Margarita Jones in Pasadena - another killer Sunday brunch

Bahooka Family Restaurant in the city of Rosemead- good ribs but the drinks are better. Cool atmosphere.

np. guys, order the cheesesteak or the phillys best. stay away from the pizza steak. it drowns out the flavor. and always get the grilled onions!

bread's done
Back