Call from the Marines?

v1et r1ce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I just got a call a few minutes ago from the Marines (recruiting center I suppose). They asked me a couple of questions to see if I was eligible and if I was interested. I basically said I'm not sure and he told me he was going to call back monday. He wanted to set an appointment or something like that. At the end of the call, I asked him how he got my info (phone # and name). He told me the government helps fund the high schools so the get our numbers in return. Any truth to this and has anyone here received a similar call?

I've been called before, but that was for doing their push-up challenge thing and having to give my name/number for a free hat.

Just let them call and tell them that you're not interested at this time and then hang up like every other telemarketer ever.

This reminds me of me and the Army recruiter just after high school.

I was really hoping to get into a school that teaches computer graphics/animation but there wasn't any in my area at the time (1997). They fed me information that they can get me to ANY COLLEGE I want to after I serve with them for 2 years. Did some asking around, including some of my former high school teachers who had spouses in the service. They said it was bullshit and not to fall for their promises of getting me into any college. So I pretty much tried to be polite with the guy and asked for written proof that he could do this, and when he couldn't do it I told him I wasn't interested at this time. Big mistake, as the guy kept on hounding stalking me for weeks calling my place of work, my house and so on. Heck he even tried getting one of his recruting buddies to call me on another number and asking if I was home because the guy was on the way to my house, so I bolted.

Yea I know they need to make a quota, but man talk about getting creepy.

The thing is, I've never talked to a Marine yet alone a Marine recruiter. I just find it weird that they would randomly call my house after never giving them my info.

[quote name='Matt Young']It's the military. They have access to everyone's info.[/quote]

Just wait til they page on xbox live after a round of Call of Duty 4.

Recruiter message: You have some impressive skills in this game, why don't I come over to your house and talk about how you can be a real solider just like in the game.

An Army recruiter called our house when my brother was 17 to see what he was planning on doing after high school. My dad told him to fuck off :lol:

[quote name='Poor2More']^why do I actually believe that really happens :)[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen...but I think that's against MS ToS... And even if it did happen, it would be a matter of time before someone captures the session and posts it on youtube.

:rofl:

Its funny because the news (I think NBC news) had a report on this saying that these kids join the service because of the promises made by recruiters to pay for college but come back and they have trouble getting in or paying for college.

Army recruiters team up with high schools. They often recruit from there, which is probably what happened in your case. They will continue to call you.

Next time they call, tell them you plan on going to college and have already been accepted to a university. That usually drops them.

[quote name='mtxbass1']

Next time they call, tell them you plan on going to college and have already been accepted to a university. That usually drops them.[/QUOTE]

Make sure to tell them that you already have a way of paying it, along the lines of scholarships or parental help since they'll pounce if you say "loans."

I was once approached while on my college's campus. I found it funny. Not just because I was already in process of completing my post-secondary education, but because I figured I'd be the last person they'd want in the military. It must be as desperate times as I have read. :lol:

Those guys don't fuck around. When I was a senior in high school they'd call my house all the time. Eventually I stopped answering.

I was in Wendy's a month ago and I saw a kid eating a meal with a guy in uniform. If he knew what harassment he'd face over the next few months I'm sure he'd rather had paid for the meal himself.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll tell them I got a football, track and basketball scholarship to Penn State (I wish). Or I'll just tell them something else. I'll update on Monday.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll tell them I got a football, track and basketball scholarship to Penn State (I wish). Or I'll just tell them something else. I'll update on Monday.[/quote]

That's just going overboard and not needed.

Just tell them your not intrested in being shipped to Iraq to get killed.

Telling him that you aren't sure he's just going to put the hard press on you. (He may do that anyway.) Those guys are under a lot of pressure to get recruits I believe.

But yeah tell him you have scholarships in 3 sports to Penn State, that's a good cover story.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']lol I was jk. I'll just say my parents wont let me and already mapped the next 50 years of my life.[/quote]

Mapped out the next 50 years of your life? what?

I don't mind them doing their job as they have to make a quota or else, but when they take it to the extreme, that's when you have to put your foot (or boot) down.

Here are some suggestions to tell the recruiter next time he catches you. And get the answers in writing from him for kicks.

1. Can you guaranty that I will not be shipped into the middle east, north east Africa, South east Africa or any war zones?

2. Can you guaranty that I will be paid what was agreed on and help me get money for my college tuition?

3. Can you guaranty that if I am shipped to a warzone, and have a limb blown off that all my medical bills and financial needs be taken care of for the rest of my life?

If they answer no to any of them, then forget about it.

;)

just tell him youre crazy and or gay and that should end any further harassment.

(Accidentally added a sentence to lokizz's post instead of my post just below, nothing else was changed -- wubb.)

The Marines are out there protecting our asses. Yeah it's funny to come up with smarmy responses for the recruiters but just show them some respect and be polite if you don't want to volunteer.

Though I will say if you don't want to join you should always be very clear and firm with your "No" from the initial contact to hopefully cut off them hounding you. If they think they have a shot at changing your mind they'll probably work on you.

Yeah, the Army, Marines, etc. would call me back in H.S. Regardless of how many times I'd tell them I'm enrolled in college, they'd call. My friend who wasn't in college (happy with working) kept getting calls, so he eventually told them he committed a misdemeanor, which is true, and they stopped calling him.

There's no way I'd join because I'm too weak and small.

I worked at Waldenbooks in my town's mall last summer. There was a recruitment center down the other end from my store, just before the corner where there was a smoothie place. As I pass by to get a smoothie, I inadvertently make eye contact with the recruitment dude, who flies out of his chair and b-lines towards me in a matter of seconds. I try to walk faster and ignore the fuck, but he just keeps tapping my shoulder and repeatedly introducing himself. He offers to buy my drink for me, and after I politely refuse the offer, he stands there in front of the rest of the waiting line while I pay and follows me back out. We pull the same song-and-dance back up to my store with the tapping and introductions, until we pass the recruitment center and he sits back down.

I don't walk 20 feet past the fuckin' place when another guy starts hounding me from the opposite direction. He follows me into Waldenbooks, and wouldn't give up until he realized that I was an employee and couldn't be bothered. It didn't take long for the mall's management to talk to them, and I'll be damned if I haven't been bugged since.

[quote name='ITDEFX']

1. Can you guaranty...

2. Can you guaranty...

3. Can you guaranty...[/QUOTE]

How could you possibly be teaching children and still expect to be taken seriously?

I'm dying to know where you all live. Back in 2001/02 when I was seeking out the Marine Corps to join, I had to go to them. I wish I could've gotten a smoothie out of the deal (I did get free eye surgery though so I guess that's a fair trade off).

bread's done
Back