Call of Duty 2 Lag patch on the way WOO HOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/680/680576p1.html

January 10, 2006 - Since the title's release, almost everyone who'd tried out Call of Duty 2's for the Xbox 360 has been clamoring for an update to the online multiplayer component. Well, apparently the developers have been listening, or have known all along. According to a post by Infinity Ward on xbox.com, a multiplayer patch is indeed in the works.

According to the post, the patch will target persistent issues with lag. "Infinity Ward is aware that some players have experienced challenges with lag issues," says Infinity Ward, "and we are currently working with Microsoft to create an update that will resolve it." Whether or not lag is the only issue that's being worked on is unclear, as the post is rather short. It does, however, mention that, "we [Infinity Ward] are aware of the issues at hand," which very well means they could be working on some other issues in addition to the lag. Perhaps we might even see a retooling of the online server search interface.

For now, we'll have to remain content with the knowledge that Call of Duty 2's online issues are recognized and the process of rectifying them is underway. Call of Duty 2 was named best overall game by IGN Xbox 360 for its stellar single player campaign and immersive atmosphere. If the multiplayer mode is significantly improved, this already great game could evolve into something even better. Stay tuned to IGN for more.

If there was just an option to create a game I'd be thrilled. Every time I get host no one complains of lag or has a ping above 130, even those in Britain, the lag is from the majority of people out there who have crappy $14.95 a month DSL with 768/128 and should barely be allowed to play on Live let alone host 8 gamers.

What's so idiotic about the initial 360 games online is that Halo 2 set the standard for parties/groups/clans and hosting criteria. How is it that games 12+ months later haven't implimented the same type of controls and protocols I'll never understand.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']
What's so idiotic about the initial 360 games online is that Halo 2 set the standard for parties/groups/clans and hosting criteria. How is it that games 12+ months later haven't implimented the same type of controls and protocols I'll never understand.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. All games should have a matchmaking just like Halo 2's. It was, IMO, revolutionary to online play, and no-one else is taking advantage of it.

[quote name='rabbitt']I agree totally. All games should have a matchmaking just like Halo 2's. It was, IMO, revolutionary to online play, and no-one else is taking advantage of it.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree... 1 of the many reason why I still play H2 on the 360...

I remember not touching the story mode for months because the online setup was so great..

It's nice they're fixing the lag, but I want a higher player count damnit. 8 player matches are no fun in a game of this caliber. I want 16 player matches damnit!

[quote name='rabbitt']I agree totally. All games should have a matchmaking just like Halo 2's. It was, IMO, revolutionary to online play, and no-one else is taking advantage of it.[/QUOTE]

Actually Quake 4 uses a similar matchmaking system. Too bad it's nowhere near as effective as Halo 2's though.

[quote name='Spoon_si']Totally agree... 1 of the many reason why I still play H2 on the 360...

I remember not touching the story mode for months because the online setup was so great..[/QUOTE]

Me too. I was hoping when I read that 360 would support "custom matchmaking" that pretty much all the games would have a party/matchmaking set up like Halo 2. Wishful thinking, I guess. In addition to the ease of use and ability to play with friends uninterrupted, I'm consistently surprised at how well Bungie has kept games fair. I wish I could play Rainbow Six or SC:CT on occasion without getting my ass handed to me by much more skilled players. Bungie's done a spectacular job of limiting how often that happens.

Will this require a download on our part or will it be addressed on their end? I hate to think that my HD is eventually going to be filled with crap just to make a game run like it should have upon purchase.

Like others have said I hope there is some sort of lobby patch in this too or I couldn't care less.

Speaking of the Halo menus, I'd like more games to implement the idea, but not just the idea by itself. I don't like the inability to define your parameters in Halo, some sort of mix between its setup and something like Perfect Dark would be the best. Though just including more playlists and maybe the option to join a random game if the party is open would fix it.

There were rumors by some supposed Infinity Ward employee posted on boards that it would be released this week, but the post was taken donw from the site. So were back to square one. :roll:

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Like others have said I hope there is some sort of lobby patch in this too or I couldn't care less.

Speaking of the Halo menus, I'd like more games to implement the idea, but not just the idea by itself. I don't like the inability to define your parameters in Halo, some sort of mix between its setup and something like Perfect Dark would be the best. Though just including more playlists and maybe the option to join a random game if the party is open would fix it.[/quote]

You can 'define your parameters' in Halo 2. In a custom game. You can't do it in ranked matches as that would allow people to alter the ranking system, and ultimately, the leaderboards. It's never going to happen.

[quote name='Trakan']You can 'define your parameters' in Halo 2. In a custom game. You can't do it in ranked matches as that would allow people to alter the ranking system, and ultimately, the leaderboards. It's never going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about ranked games. I meant that Halo needs to be like every other game out there and let you join random games with other people that you can define, which it doesn't. I can't join in a random custom game if none of my buddies are online.

That's the biggest fault with Halo's setup. Sure it works well for ranked games and I don't think I'd change it. Maybe have more options, but that's about it. It doesn't help promote the idea of meeting new people to play with.

Now this almost isn't a problem if matchmaking would be so inclusive that there would be enough unranked gametypes up that you could basically find your desired gametype. But even then it would still be nice to bring your party of 8 into an open custom game of 8 people you don't know. I think that's the next step in matchmaking, allowing parties to stay together and hop into games with random people.

If you asked me, and no one has, Infinity Ward and Activision have really damaged this franchise with 360 fans.

No one will argue the offline portion of the game is great. However by the time the next COD comes out with Gears of War, Huxley, Ghost Recon, Too Human, Prey and who knows what else on the market, an offline only FPS with a reputation for horrible online play won't suffice. The WW II FPS market is crowded, people will only buy the best and brightest editions of a game. They aren't loyal to franchises; MOH Rising Sun anybody? There's no need to be.

Face it, this game sold because it was one of just a handful of outstanding launch titles. As a result of its high sales and attach rates its also known as an incredibly glitchy and buggy title. That's hard to overcome.

Now that another quality realistic military shooter has arrived the window has closed on fixing this game in any meaningful way. People have beaten it, sold it or have moved on. Infinity Ward and Activision blew it. I'm going to be hard pressed to say I want another COD given the inevitable flood of FPS's that hit MS consoles. I don't need buggy and patches promised down the road. There's too much to choose from that isn't buggy or requires patches out of the box.

Besides, we're talking console gaming. We shouldn't need fixes in the first place.

The PC gamers were pissed about the same thing (meaning CoD2 needing a patch badly)...if I remember correctly, Infinity Ward basically had the attitude of "go fuck yourselves, we have your money" in response to the anger of the people who bought the game. After they tried to organize a few server boycotts in protest (meaning not just people "won't play," which wouldn't matter, they actually shut down servers so people COULDN'T play), IF kind of changed their attitude, although I've yet to see any results. Maybe someone who follows the PC game closer than me would know if they actually did anything about it.

I agree, they blew it here, especially with GRAW pretty much blowing them out of the gamer consciousness - and just in time for the system shortage to be over, no less. Kind of funny since those two games are really NOT that much alike in terms of gameplay, but Joe Dipshit gamer just sees them both and says "they're both war games" and then picks up GRAW.

Yeah CoD2 was the number one selling launch title, but so what? When I was standing next to a midget last week, I was the tallest person in the room.

No, they're nothing alike as far as FPS's go. One is like Halo in arcadey nature the other is a pseudo sim.

There's this little thing on GRAW that has earned immesurable respect and street cred over the last 4 years "Tom Clancy's": INSERT GAME HERE. Besides Lockdown, which sold like crap anyways, everyone knows Ubisoft games with that label kick major ass. Scary that I now own 10 Xbox/360 Clancy games.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I can't join in a random custom game if none of my buddies are online.[/quote]

There are 3 unranked playlists. If none of your friends are on anyways, why can't you play one of the three?

Halo 2's Live service is the hot peppery. It's a very close friend of mine and I will not let you talk about it that way sir.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah CoD2 was the number one selling launch title, but so what? When I was standing next to a midget last week, I was the tallest person in the room.[/QUOTE]

Friggin great. Someone needs this in their sig.

Jeremy

Multiplayer or no multiplayer, I'll definetly be picking up COD 3. It is up there on my "must have" list with the CIVs, GTAs, burnouts, and Halos. I'm not saying that it is as good as halo or GTA, just that I enjoy it that much.

Well after playing a good amount of Ghost Recon I can say Call of Duty 2 has dropped off my radar for Live games, only because Infinity Ward hasn't released the patch yet.

I remember reading by the end of March/mid-March so hopefully that means soon I'll be able to actually play matchs over Live without having to quickly join other games.

Ghost Recon and COD2 might be totally different games, and both are enjoyable in their own rights, but without the patch COD2 is a broken issue and the only reason I kept playing it over Live was because of the glitch and Ghost Recon wasn't out yet :)

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well after playing a good amount of Ghost Recon I can say Call of Duty 2 has dropped off my radar for Live games, only because Infinity Ward hasn't released the patch yet.

I remember reading by the end of March/mid-March so hopefully that means soon I'll be able to actually play matchs over Live without having to quickly join other games.

Ghost Recon and COD2 might be totally different games, and both are enjoyable in their own rights, but without the patch COD2 is a broken issue and the only reason I kept playing it over Live was because of the glitch and Ghost Recon wasn't out yet :)[/QUOTE]

Ghost Recon is really buggy also. The online server in most cases hold up but there are those days when you start a game and people continously get dropped for no reason. Also like I've been saying, Getting a ranked game together blows ass. Why won't others follow the matchmakng of Halo 2?

[quote name='pimpinc333']Why won't others follow the matchmakng of Halo 2?[/QUOTE]

I've been asking this of every online FPS for the last 18 months.

Someone did it incredibly well you think people would try and emulate it.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they have to be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back