Call of Duty 4 demo - Out now, sord of!

Jeaaaa, I'll be all over this :D

This is one game I can't wait for. Screw the console versions, FPS are at home on the PC ;)

So wait, multiplayer or single player demo? I'm hoping it's single player since that's what I'm really interested in seeing before I buy the game. I tried the multiplayer on the 360 and it was decent enough... didn't really convince me I needed the game or anything.

[quote name='magiic']oh lame I got all excited thinking this was for the 360[/quote]
lol, we're in the PC Games/Discussion thread :dunce:

[quote name='Chacrana']So wait, multiplayer or single player demo? I'm hoping it's single player since that's what I'm really interested in seeing before I buy the game. I tried the multiplayer on the 360 and it was decent enough... didn't really convince me I needed the game or anything.[/QUOTE]

I think it's single player. I hope it's as crazy as CoD2 single player was. that game was very intense!

[quote name='Apossum']I think it's single player. I hope it's as crazy as CoD2 single player was. that game was very intense![/QUOTE]

I didn't think that COD 2 was particularly well designed though. Felt like the same thing over and over, the atmosphere wasn't very interesting, and the game just felt... kinda slow when actually in combat. Now, that E3 trailer I saw for COD4... the one that was less chaotic and looked a bit like Stalker -- that had potential. If COD4's single player balances out the chaos with quieter moments, it'll make the game feel that much less monotonous.

So if that rambling made any sense... yeah, that's where I'm coming from.

COD is one of my favorite single player war games. Granted, the levels are totally linear and most combat is excessively scripted, but it's friggn' intense.

I especially like how you fight in multiple environments with multiple weapons. COD4 is supposed to have a segment where you're an AC130 gunner! Besides Desert Combat, I can't think of another FPS where you get to fire one of those bad boys.

Oooh, I just saw that Harry Gregson-Williams is doing the score for this game. I knew the music in the trailer seemed a bit off for COD. It's like they're going for a good game this time.

[quote name='Serik']COD is one of my favorite single player war games. Granted, the levels are totally linear and most combat is excessively scripted, but it's friggn' intense.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly..it's an "atmosphere" game to me. it really felt like war, unlike any game previous to it.

That said, I wouldn't mind a change.

Just beat the demo, its pretty damn sweet. I for sure need a new computer to run it at higher settings, i ran almost everything on low.

[quote name='munch']I'm downloading from Yahoo right now. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ssssssssssllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww[/QUOTE]

Do the torrent. There's about a 1000 seeders right now-- got it in 3 hours.

Short demo and really, really intense. It's a lot like CoD2-- really fucking hectic and difficult to see what's going on. Actually, the gameplay is pretty much the same-- run through an insane battlefield, pick off enough guys to move forward, get to your objective, then get to the next shootout, do an objective there.

Ran great on my system. some of the high end settings are locked, but it looked pretty good overall.

I ran it at highest settings they allowed without any hiccups at all.

C2D E6400
ATI X1800XT-OC'ed
2GB RAM

I'm still leaning towards the 360 version of the game, even if I end up getting an 8800GT. The console-side controls are pretty seemless, and yeah, it plays like CoD2 in more than one sense.

Anywho, I loved the damn thing.

I've got the demo downloaded, I might play it tomorrow. It'll bite into my precious TF2 time but it's COD, so it's probably worth it.

I've seen a few mentions of the 8800GT here, anybody got a link to a preview of it?

Ran pretty "well" on my system too...

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
2gig of DDR1 PC3200
ATi X850xt
SB Audigy 2 ZS

*When installing the demo, be sure to also install DirectX when it prompts you to as the game needs/comes with the latest DX9.0c build. The game wouldn't run for me the first time I chose not to install it.

My list of whiney complaints and praises...

-lack of a "select-fire" mode, there is no excuse for leaving this out from COD4 since 1 and 2 had this feature (perhaps I didn't find it?).

+They got the hectic and intense battlefield atmosphere down really well.

-HOLY CRAP, a Javalin shooting up, up, and away into the atmosphere!? What is this?! A fricken portable orbital missle? Yes, I know things like these were done for the sake of "fun" but come on, don't take this into the realm of extream fiction (nag).

...I can't help but feel as though COD4 will be sort of like a Battlefield 2 with a story single player mode. I probably won't be grabbing this right off the shelf when it hits but look forward to playing through the whole campaign a see what crazy ideas they come up with. The multiplayer looks extreamly fun as DM style game.

Really in terms of infantry combat, all I really ask for is a visual mod for Red Orchestra that switches out the WW2 stuff for modern weapons. I'd be a happy camper till the end of days if that ever happens.

[quote name='level1online']What's the best website to download PC demo's?

The site Dezuria recommended (filefront.com) is that the best?[/quote]
I got around 200kb/s from GamersHell, 350 from FileFront, and 700kb/s from GameSpot.

Those are probably the max you'll see from those sites, as I'm on a T3 connection w/ a max d/l of 3mb/s.

Just use a download manager like FlashGet and open 5 connections to GS or something. It's not THAT big of a file.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']I've got the demo downloaded, I might play it tomorrow. It'll bite into my precious TF2 time but it's COD, so it's probably worth it.

I've seen a few mentions of the 8800GT here, anybody got a link to a preview of it?[/quote]

From the previews I've seen of the 8800GT... It's a wildcard. People are saying it OC'es better than the GTS and can go head-to-head with the GTX. It's also said to be getting much better marks on 3DMark05/03.

There's bound to be some price shuffling, but it should all be cleared up before the end of the month.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://we.pcinlife.com/thread-831248-1-1.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php%253Ff%253D298%2526t%253D417148%2526p%253D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26hs%3D5Bu%26sa%3DG

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=37&Itemid=34&limit=40&limitstart=0

--
Yes, Javelins are badass. I just wish the crouching system is changed a bit. I like the lack of HUD but... meh. I'd prefer some indication over none. It's kinda hard to back away or respond to grenades.

DUDE! THIS GAME WAS SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!

I picked up this weapon called The Javelin.... OMG!!! In awe of modern day warfare.....

It ran really really smooth on default settings: 800x600 4xAA. Stuttered a little at 1280x1024 res.

evga 7900gs, amd X2 5200+, 2GB ddr2 800.

bread's done
Back