Call of Duty 4 or The Orange Box?

Depends on what you are playing for. Single player? The Orange Box. Half Life 2 is a great game and the campaign mode for CoD4 is about as long as one of the HL2 expansions. Portal is also amazing. CoD4 has a great cinematic single player, but it's short and not really much different than other CoD games except for time period.

If you are playing for the online modes? CoD4. Team Fortress 2 is fun, but there's hardly anyone playing it. CoD4 at least has a ton of people playing.

Personally I bought Call of Duty 4, beat the single player and wasn't impressed by the online mode so I swapped it for The Orange Box and I've been happy with my choice. It's really wether or not you plan on going online with the game.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Depends on what you are playing for. Single player? The Orange Box. Half Life 2 is a great game and the campaign mode for CoD4 is about as long as one of the HL2 expansions. Portal is also amazing. CoD4 has a great cinematic single player, but it's short and not really much different than other CoD games except for time period.

If you are playing for the online modes? CoD4. Team Fortress 2 is fun, but there's hardly anyone playing it. CoD4 at least has a ton of people playing[/quote]
This is what I was going to say. If you want an online shooter that is a TON of fun, COD4 is the game for you. If you are more of a single player fan, Orange box has a ton of SP content; it does have TF2, but after playing for about 30 minutes I failed to be impressed (but that's just me).

really depends on what your priorities are. single player- go orange box, you'll be playing for longer, it's far superior and it has portal. cod4 sp is not very fun, imo, endless respawning is ridiculous. mp, cod4 is far better... i just can't get into TF2.
personally, i like the orange box better.

Orange Box is easily a superior game overall. Half-Life 2 is the best FPS ever made IMO and Portal, and the HL2 episodes are all better than CoD4 too.

CoD4 does have better multiplayer, but it can't make up for Orange Box's far superior singleplayer.

Both, You wont be dissapointed at all. either one you choose theyre both amazing games, its like comparing Gold with Gold.

That is tough. I had to get both. If you play online alot get COD4. TF2 is fun but there is not much variety or maps. COD4 has like 16 maps and a sload of game types.

I'd get both, seeing as how I already have.

If I had to choose one, I'd probably choose Call of Duty 4.

The multiplayer is phenomenally fresh, and the single-player, while short, is powerful.

orange-box-open.jpg

orange box has old graphics. wait for a sale of buy used

COD4 is all new super graphics. Live is awesome. This is one of the top 3 360 games out there now. Similar to R63 Vagas. Maybe even better too!

[quote name='waterman460000']id go w/ the ob. it seems more appealing then the cod4 which is the same as the previous ones just nin a modern time[/quote]

Totally different style of play and immersion. ;)

Grr!! I want Portal soo much, but I loved Call of Duty 3. I even enjoyed the multiplayer, well when I could get into a game and the shit wasn't broke.

Orange Box for single player.
Call of Duty 4 for multiplayer.

Both are fantastic in either area though. Really you NEED both.

Easy question Get Halo 3...jk
but for real get CoD4 multiplayer is great(maybe better than halo for now at least), Orange Box is a rental or should i say rent portal

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Orange Box for single player.
Call of Duty 4 for multiplayer.

Both are fantastic in either area though. Really you NEED both.[/quote]
/end thread

TF2 on the orange box is absolute fucking GARBAGE. I tried a dozen times to connect to a match and it would work fine for a couple of minutes then drop out. Completely broken MP IMO. Maybe I'll buy Team Fortress 2 for PC when it's a reasonable $20 because if the xbox360 version is any indication, it's an absolute lagfest.:bomb:

HL2 & Portal = Single player goodness:bouncy:

COD4 Multiplayer= Halo 3 what? Seriously, Halo 3 looks like an unpolished turd compared to COD4 MP. Everyone who's playing COD4 that was playing Halo 3 is saying that COD4 blows it out of the water from my experiance.

COD4 Singleplayer= It's there. Standard fanfare IMO.

[quote name='qbkorso']What do people like better COD4 or Halo 3 for multiplayer. The Halo 3 is wearing a little thin on me.[/quote]

I feel like I am the only person who doesnt like Half-life2. Given I havent played episode two yet, but halflife2 and ep1 dont really do anything for me. Even story wise, I think Halo3s better. but I digress, I would get CoD4, better multi and solid single from what I have heard. Sure portal is good but you can easily beat that in a day or two, at most a week. so get CoD4. and if you dont have halo3 I would buy that over COD4 or ob.

[quote name='ICEPICC']orange box has old graphics. wait for a sale of buy used

COD4 is all new super graphics. Live is awesome. This is one of the top 3 360 games out there now. Similar to R63 Vagas. Maybe even better too![/quote]

So wait, You judge games by their graphics? The graphics don't make the game, The game does. That is why people still like games with "Outdated graphics" Sure, Good graphics are nice (Bioshock... Oh yes) But when it is a really good game, Who cares?

In my opinion you should rent both then see if you want to buy them. Personally, I would buy the orange box if I had a choice between the two, Team fortress 2 was confusing at first but now I love playing it! Half life 2 is great (I haven't beaten it yet but i'm loving it) And portal is a great puzzle game!

I bought both.

Got Orange Box on release day and am just about to finish Episode 2. It's been a LONG experience with the single player. Seriously, well worth the cash on that end. Played some Portal. Haven't touched TF2 yet ... not sure I'll get to it.

Because of COD4. While the single player is decidedly shorter than the Orange Box's, it is definitely "up there" in terms of adrenaline, gameplay, sound and graphic design. The multiplayer ... I don't enjoy as much as Halo 3's multiplayer (Halo 3 single player left MUCH to be desired, esp. in terms of storyline), but it COD4's multiplayer IS very fun.

Personally, I prefer COD4. But someone suggested renting them first, and that is probably the way to go...

...unless you do what I do, which is buy one, play it, sell it on eBay (or even trade it here), and then get the other one you want. I tend to "lose" $5-10 this way (buy a new game for about $53, sell it for $45 or so, use that money towards the next game). Otherwise, it's all "buy, buy, buy."

Really, though, you can't make a bad decision between the two.

I haven't played Call of Duty 4 yet, but I can't reccomend the Orange Box highly enough.

Portal is GOTY for me at this point, nothing else thus far has felt so fresh and new in gameplay, and that's combined with an intriuging and funny story line.

If you haven't played Half Life 2 and it's episodes, you are missing out on the best single player FPS ever made IMO. Half Life 2 mixes so much gameplay variety, a quality FPS with physics puzzle elements to break up the action. Plus you actually play the story, you don't watch it in cutscenes.

I'm surprised to see the reaction to TF2, it is the multiplayer game on the PC right now, but it sounds like the lag issues may have hampered its success on XBL.

I'm interested in playing COD4, but I'm worried the COD single player formula may have gotten stale. I will pick it up eventually.

[quote name='ICEPICC']orange box has old graphics. wait for a sale of buy used

COD4 is all new super graphics. Live is awesome. This is one of the top 3 360 games out there now. Similar to R63 Vagas. Maybe even better too![/quote]

I disagree, I didnt see any old graphics when i played HL2, maybe because i never look graphics over gameplay in fact what i liked about HL2 were its graphics, so crisp and clear. HL2 was a fully fleshed out world with amazing details and characters that acted and felt human and real, its amazing how much went into this game, the storyline, the chase, aliens. It might be two years older than Halo 3 but Half life 2 alone kicks its ass by the loads.

If you play online then get CoD4 and say goodbye to everything else on your to play list. I have yet to touch the single player but it's suppse to be short while the single player on Orange Box is awesome and alot longer. Halflife 2 is about 10 hours or more plus episode 1 & 2 and TF2 online which is fun but has nothing on CoD4s online .. So it's more of a online versus offline decision you have to make....

100% no questions asked... ORANGE BOX.. CoD4 is great, but Orange Box offers soooo much more. HL2, Ep1,Ep2, Portal, and the awesome TF2... CANT BEAT IT... I got orange box on release day, and have been playing it non stop, i got CoD but wont open it till I fully finish all of Orange Box cause I love it so much....

If you can afford it, get BOTH

[quote name='qbkorso']What do people like better COD4 or Halo 3 for multiplayer. The Halo 3 is wearing a little thin on me.[/QUOTE]

I liked Halo 3's multiplayer better personally. All of the non-deathmatch CoD gametypes seem to revolve around capturing/defending locations, whereas Halo has other gametypes like Oddball, Juggernaut, etc. I also think that the matchmaking system and overall user interface is better. The teams I played with in CoD4 never really seemed to be very balanced, and while there are a lot of CoD maps I kept seeing the same couple every time.

But keep in mind that most people love the perks system, while I don't really care for it. So my opinion is probably in the minority.

Suprised to see so many people recommending Orange Box. My friends kept telling me I was crazy for swapping CoD4 for TOB.

I bought both of them, and just sold back the Orange Box. I hadn't played any iteration of Half Life before, and was completely bored halfway through Half Life 2. However, Portal was amazing, and deserves all the credit it gets. COD 4 however blew me away, both in single and multiplayed. I want to like Halo 3 better (too much mountain dew?) but just can't.

How did the OP’s original question on which game to buy The Orange Box or Call of Duty 4 get turned into a thread about COD4 vs. Halo 3?

Anyways, in regards to the OP I would buy the Orange Box. Of course my reasoning might seem a bit odd. I care a lot about achievements and since COD4 doesn’t have any multiplayer achievements there’s no harm in putting off your purchase for awhile. Go with the Orange Box the 100 achievements will keep you busy for quite some time.

/edit: and does not equal in

bread's done
Back