Call of Duty: World at War Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is they tried to be all serious like Infinity Ward, and it just didn't work. It just seemed cheap.

How can you say the game sucks off that trailer? It showed nothing. The trailer sucked, because you can not tell anything about the game from it. I hate trailers like that.

1. CoD3 sucked IMO, so I'm not expecting much from Treyarch with this one.
2. The trailer did nothing to change my expectations.

I doubt I'd buy it even if it is good, I don't need a CoD game (or really any series) every year.

I liked COD3 online , not as much as 4 , but it was still fun. I'm sure I will pick this one up.

I was a beta tester on COD3 with Treyarch and the game was horrible. Im not too impressed here, 2 years in development doesn't look to fun. Why can't Activision just stick with Infinity Ward ? I was definitely feeling the modern warfare.

[quote name='popemogoth']Why can't Activision just stick with Infinity Ward ?[/QUOTE]

Because they want to shit out a CoD game every year, and Infinity Ward isn't going to sacrifice quality by shitting out a game every 12 months.

I agree that the drama was very cheesy. However, I did see a few things of interest. Assuming Treyarch uses Call of Duty 4 as a base, I would be interested in World War II themed Perks. Perhaps the ability to climb would be useful. As long as the perk is balanced, it would be fine. The use of a bayonet is appealing. Considering it would probably have a wider range than a knife, it could be handled like the grenade launcher in Call of Duty 4 were it replaces a perk. Treyarch had a lot more time to properly develop their Call of Duty title. While I cannot say I am hyped, I can say I am interested to see how they handle their duties this time around.

I'm actually going to resist judging the game until they release a demo. Bad Company proves that gameplay can only be properly assessed by actually playing the game.

But yes, I too will reserve judgment for a later time.

While COD3 was no way near as good as COD2 or 4, it still was a pretty descent B level shooter. I would expect the same from World at War. I'll get it when it comes out, beat it quickly and resell.

On the bright side it does have Co-Op split and online ... so if its even just a little bit of a decent game it'll be great for a one time run through with a friend.
A renter perhaps or a buy at 20-30$ sale point.

But other than that I don't see anything new or innovative that will make it anymore than just a CoD3 but in the jungle.

And I also just have the gut feeling that the vehicles in MP will be broken and will make it worst.

[quote name='homeland']While COD3 was no way near as good as COD2 or 4, it still was a pretty descent B level shooter. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was a little over harsh saying it sucked. But I just have high standards and generaly don't bother playing B level games. I can't even play all the A level games, so I see little point in playing lesser games when I could move on to another A game.

Its funny, back in the day I won a first to play COD3 tournament and got flown out to LA to meet all the Treyarch guys working on COD3. Over lunch with the 24 or so other winners the heads of all the development teams asked about what we wanted to see in the game. Some of the features we gave them were:

1) more mature themes
2) blood
3) flamethrowers
4) co-op play

I'll be damned if that trailer wasn't made for us. All of the guys were really passionate about making the game, so I still have a good amount of faith in this title.

It would be pretty neat if they had a perk where you carried a can of gasoline and could pour it on the ground in a limited amount of trails. A trail could be lit with the flamethrower or by equipping C4 or claymores, and would disappear when the originator dies, like in COD4 with various things. Also, an opponent if equipped with incendiary rounds and noticing his opposition had equipped the perk, could be able to aim, shoot, and detonate his opponent. As for incendiary rounds, which were common in World War 2, it would replace a perk, and be used to ignite various objects in the environment, like fuel tanks, that normal rounds are not able to ignite (if one does not suspend their disbelief for fantasy).

The setting in Japan could at least make it a better fresher than other WW2 games. I didn't think the trailer looked bad....although it didnt like that good either

Treyarch = Me no buy game

Infinity Ward = Me always buy game day 1

I have three friends, whom I worked with, at EA chicago before those bastards shut us down. Two of them got hired at Infinity Ward and all my buddy Charlie said to me was "Dude just wait.....". He has his gamer pic from their current game that they're working on and I constantly ask him what it is and obviously we can't talk because of NDS. I'm stoked for Infinity Ward's next game though.

I hate that they have that dumb agreement with Treyarch. It = poopies

Based on the lack of specifics in the responses in this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that folks had already made up their minds about this game long before they saw the trailer.

did someone say CLAYMORE? :D

That Flamethrower did look awesome though. The game looks like it has more potential
that I figured it would. I'll give it a chance.

I'm not fan of COD3 and past Treyarch COD games but I think this could be decent counting their using the COD4 engine.
The flamethrower looks cool but it isn't going to be anything new by the time it releases counting Far Cry 2 has them with destructible enviroments that burn.
I saw some bayonet stabs in the trailor which would be a nice addition since I was hoping for them in COD5. Plus, I like vehicles & IMO will help add to the gameplay and larger levels.
I'm not abig fan of the perk system though so I really do not care if it is in the next game.
It does have some good competition with BIA: Hell's Highway releasing in August& like someone else said "I'll have to see the gameplay first", CGI really doesn't say anything.

Really, after COD4, going back to WWII just seems ..less interesting. I'd love to keep an open mind, but Infinity Ward made one heck of a game/story to live up to.

Treyarch's apology for COD3 and a plea for you to at least try COD5

Call of Duty 3 Needed More Time For Greatness

treyarch_logo-thumb.jpg
Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4 was fantastic. Treyarch's CoD3 wasn't as fantastic. Granted, it was pretty good! But honestly, not as good as Infinity Ward's CoD2. (See where this is going?) Says CoD5 senior producer Noah Heller:
I'd say that one of the things that's hard for a player to understand, I'm sure you guys can understand it because you have a lot more insight into the industry, is that Call of Duty 3 was about eight months end to end for development... And it's very hard to make a great game in that time. Call of Duty 3 is a very good game. It sold very well so a lot of people must have liked it... But it's not the game this team could have made if it had the time to polish to the level they needed to... Look at the great games of just this last six months or year. Look at Modern Warfare, look at BioShock, look at GTA 4. What these games have in common is enough time to polish and iterate on it, and I think as an industry we're learning how important that is... I feel like it's a little bit of an underdog story almost. Here's a team that's never had a chance to actually make a game with this much time. Modern Warfare comes along and raises the bar really high and now the team says, we've got to show what we've got, we've got to show up with a great game or else the players aren't going to want to play it. Expectations are so high.
They are, they really are. Treyarch was given a two year development cycle for CoD5, so hopefully that extra time in the oven will pay off. Willing to give World War II another spin if the game dazzles.

Have some Pics and some details.

medium_2602847741_29dc0e3465_o.jpg

medium_2602844655_d6ed63f550_o.jpg

medium_2603674370_75f7a83c1d_o.jpg

medium_2602842573_7b6a7ff7bb_o.jpg

medium_2603671864_10f65ea975_o.jpg

Some Details

Sydney, Australia – June 23, 2008 – Leave your packs and bring extra ammo, Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) and Treyarch, announced today that they will be taking Call of Duty players deep into the South Pacific and European theatres this spring for Call of Duty: World at War™, a gritty fight that will pit players against enemies that know no surrender and show no mercy. Utilizing the Call of Duty 4®: Modern Warfare engine, Call of Duty: World at War throws out the rulebook of war to transform WWII combat through a new enemy, new tactics and an uncensored experience of the climatic battles that gripped a generation. As U.S. Marines and Russian soldiers, players will employ new features like cooperative gameplay, and weapons such as the flamethrower in the most chaotic and cinematically intense experience to date.
“With Call of Duty: World at War, we’re re-defining what it means to play a WWII game,” said Mark Lamia, Studio Head for Treyarch. “We’re excited to give players a host of new enemies that employ entirely new tactics, as well as new, groundbreaking tools – like co-op and the flamethrower – to succeed in the epic fight.”
Call of Duty: World at War introduces co-operative play, bringing fresh meaning to the “No One Fights Alone” mantra with up to four-players online for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, or two-player local split-screen on consoles. Nintendo Wii will also support a unique co-op mode for two players. For the first time ever players will experience harrowing single-player missions together for greater camaraderie and tactical execution. The co-op campaign allows players to rank up and unlock perks in competitive multiplayer by completing challenges and earning experience points, adding continuous re-playability and team-based gameplay. Whether playing competitively or cooperatively – if players are online with Call of Duty: World at War – they will always gain experience points. Based on a player’s experience rank and rank of the player’s friends, Call of Duty: World at War will scale dynamically to provide a deeper level of challenge.
Call of Duty: World at War is in development for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Nintendo® Wii™ and Games for Windows® PC. The title is scheduled for release this spring and has not yet been rated by the OFLC.
For more information and exclusive updates about Call of Duty: World at War, visit www.callofduty.com.

[quote name='MisterHand']Based on the lack of specifics in the responses in this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that folks had already made up their minds about this game long before they saw the trailer.[/QUOTE]

Ya think? ;)

the graphics did not impress me that much....

and also.... at the most, i will go to a friends that will most likely rent it, and i'll try it there.

and honestly.....a flamethrower? yes, they had them in WWII, but seriously, they were only affective for entering and destroying tunnels in japan. and really, they were a pain in the but, because if your tank caught on fire, boom, you and your comrade died.

sorry Khondor, to ruin your fun, but did you ever use the flamethrower in halo 3? it was a failure that made you walk slow.

imo... the whole game is going to fail. i have no faith in Treyarch.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186002

Hehehe... But yes, let's see what I said:

"One morsel of information that piqued my taste buds was how World at War will utilize the Call of Duty 4®: Modern Warfare engine. I suppose calling World at War a themed Call of Duty 4 may very well end up a correct assessment - which would be a good start in securing gamers. I wonder if ranking up and unlocking perks can also happen offline and not in multiplayer? I don’t know if I would like it if they allowed it. I am very interested to see what new perks will appear in the game."

I agree with that guy. ;)

I just saw on G4 that there are already rumors COD6 could be futuristic warfare & developed by Infinity. Hopefully World at war will be just a 'filler" game (so to speak) for the COD WWII buffs until something better releases for the series.

I hope Infinity releases a couple more maps packs to help COD4, if not, okay, I'll be on Far Cry 2 in fall.

[quote name='Maynard']Treyarch = Me no buy game

Infinity Ward = Me always buy game day 1

I have three friends, whom I worked with, at EA chicago before those bastards shut us down. Two of them got hired at Infinity Ward and all my buddy Charlie said to me was "Dude just wait.....". He has his gamer pic from their current game that they're working on and I constantly ask him what it is and obviously we can't talk because of NDS. I'm stoked for Infinity Ward's next game though.

I hate that they have that dumb agreement with Treyarch. It = poopies[/quote]

When did you work at EA Chicago? I had a couple friends who worked there.

I agree Treyarch usually makes much lower quality cod games, so I'll be passing on this. They should have made a COD4 expansion instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back