Camera bros.....

stocker08

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Me and a couple friends are taking a roadtrip from Minnesota, down to Sarasota in Florida. I have a dinky little point and shoot camera which will be serviceable at the beach and whatnot. I am looking for a decent DSLR to bring with as well. Here is the catch.......I am a terribly poor college student. Looking to spend less than $200. Any suggestions? Not looking for a world beater, just something that will be capable of taking some decent photos.

[quote name='stocker08']Me and a couple friends are taking a roadtrip from Minnesota, down to Sarasota in Florida. I have a dinky little point and shoot camera which will be serviceable at the beach and whatnot. I am looking for a decent DSLR to bring with as well. Here is the catch.......I am a terribly poor college student. Looking to spend less than $200. Any suggestions? Not looking for a world beater, just something that will be capable of taking some decent photos.[/QUOTE]
Check pawn shops. Sarasota is very random for a college road trip what are you guys comming here for?

Used Sony Alpha A100 should be about 200 or under if you manage to catch a good buy it now. Being broke it helps that Minolta Maxxum lenses work on the body so there is a world of used stuff you could buy cheaply for it.

I don't think you'll find any decent, working DSLR for the price. You might as well look into the Canon S95, particularly a used one. Excellent image quality, light & portable.

I agree with most here - don't know that you'll be able to find a decent working dslr kit for less than 200. An original digital rebel (300d) kit may be within that range and is 8-9 years old. I guess you could browse ebay and cl in hopes of finding one and hoping it is in decent shape. My advice is to save your money until you can afford a more recent model.

I already have a point and shoot. Don't really need something like that. Just something decent that I can mess around with.

Anywho. I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT. Still need a decent lense. I've been told that the EF 50mm f/1.8 is the way to go, but I kind of want a kit lense. I was looking at the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

[quote name='stocker08']I already have a point and shoot. Don't really need something like that. Just something decent that I can mess around with.

Anywho. I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT. Still need a decent lense. I've been told that the EF 50mm f/1.8 is the way to go, but I kind of want a kit lense. I was looking at the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.[/QUOTE]

The EF-S lenses are specifically made for the cheaper Canon DSLR because they have smaller sensors.

The more expensive Canons (the ones which are thousands of dollars) can only use the EF lenses.

The Rebel can use both the EF-S and the EF lense but things change when you use the EF lense. So a 50mm EF lense will actually become a 70mm lense in practice.

You are better off using the 28-55mm EF-S zoom lense.

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing
22.gif

[quote name='silentevil']Check pawn shops. Sarasota is very random for a college road trip what are you guys comming here for?[/QUOTE]

My buddies father just bought a house down there, so we figured, why not? He says that Siesta Beach is supposed to be pretty nice. Myakka State Park is nearby. St. Petersberg is nearby. We shouldn't have trouble finding things to do.

bread's done
Back