Can anyone recommend a good kid-friendly PS2 co-operative game?

microjoe1

CAG Veteran
What’s up!

I’m looking for some recommendations of kid-friendly co-operative games. Are there any available for the PS2?

I generally own mature rated games that are single player. I’m looking for a fun game that can be played by at least two players at the same time. Teen rated or under is fine. Any recommendations?

I’ve seen Alien Hominoid. But, I was hoping to get something with more of a platform style.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe -

Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (PS2) and Lego Star Wars (PS2) are great 2 player co-op games that would be good for kids. Both are fairly platform-y in nature. I've got them on my tradelist if you're interested.

The Adventures of Cookies and Cream is another, if you can track down a copy.

It's not a platformer, but X-Men Legends is a blast to play co-op, and the controls are pretty easy to pick up.

Shrek 2. My girlfriend and I play it once in awhile. It's kinda fun, kids would love it though.

While mentioned before, I think Lego Star Wars is exactly what you're looking for. It's easy (impossible to lose, actually) and loads of fun. It's kind of short, however, and there are a couple of levels (podrace, I'm looking at you) where the co-op actually makes things harder.

5thed for Lego Star Wars
Also Cookies n Cream (kinda hard to find instore)

I agree with the post below. OH MY F Contra is hard...don't play Metal Slug either, rough stuff.

As much as I feel Contra: Shattered Soldier is totally awesome, I have to say, NO, that is not a good game for kids. It is super hard, I'm talking about nearing Ikaruga levels of difficulty. Not to mention it features your standard Contra horrific, disturbing hell-creatures (but oh so pretty... hideously pretty).

Then again, when we were kids we played games that hard all the time, so I guess it depends... but I doubt it, from what you're asking.

You could try the old anthology compilations (e.g. Midway, Activision, Atari). Some of the old arcade games are still great fun and very simple for kids to play (like Rampage).

I'm glad someone else mentioned The Adventures of Cookie and Cream already.

Definitely kid-friendly, but also fun enough that a friend and I (both in our late twenties) had an absolute ball playing through the whole game in two feverish sittings. Don't be turned off by the cloyingly cute visuals; this is a great use of a few bucks.

(I sound like I work for the publisher, no?)

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']As much as I feel Contra: Shattered Soldier is totally awesome, I have to say, NO, that is not a good game for kids. It is super hard, I'm talking about nearing Ikaruga levels of difficulty. Not to mention it features your standard Contra horrific, disturbing hell-creatures (but oh so pretty... hideously pretty).

Then again, when we were kids we played games that hard all the time, so I guess it depends... but I doubt it, from what you're asking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel that kids would terrified by the first boss which is a mutant alien turtle with a pulsating akira baby head for an ass that vomits out insects.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check out The Adventures of Cookie and Cream. I'll have to start hunting for it.

I've actually tried out Lego Star Wars. I've played it on PC. It was a good game, the only probelm is I finished it in about 4 hours or so. So that game is out.

I recommend Neo Contra. It's rated Mature, but I think it should have been rated Teen. Like Shattered Soldier, it's got some ugly, sometimes scary monster designs... but when we were growing up we saw this crap all the time on TV.. like on Power Rangers. Yes, I watched Power Rangers. Go to hell.

Ahem..

Anyways.. Neo Contra isn't anywhere near as hard as Shattered Soldier, and still a blast to play, if a bit short (takes about an hour to go from start to finish once you master all the levels, which takes about 3 hours to do for me) Pretty cheap, too.

Lego Star Wars, my nephews play that non-stop everytime they are over. Its really friendly, and easily playable for kids but since you already beat it....

They also like Shrek 2, should be cheap to pick up. That one is up to 4 players (atleast on xbox). I think Contra is a little too much for kids.

My cousins actually own Shrek 2 for Gamecube. That game is a blast to play, especially with 4 players. Lego Star Wars would have been great, but I've already beat it.

I am going to look for Adventures of Cookies and Cream. Since that seems to be popular. I really need to have something. Whenever, they come over they complain that they can't play anything since all my games are one player and rated mature.

I do agree that Contra may be too much. But, it might be a good game for me. Last Contra I played was Super Contra. That was a hard game. I haven't tried any newer Contras since I've heard bad things about them.

Cookie and Cream immediately came to my mind, but as I thought about it, just about any sports game would fit your description. I wouldn't recommend a fantasy career of Madden, but how about a baseball or hockey game? Those "Backyard" sports titles look like kids games, but I've never actually played one.

Lego Star Wars
Adventures of Cookie and Cream
Contra:Shattered Soldier (Hard/"violent and disturbing" boss designs)
Neo Contro (see above)
X-Men Legends

[quote name='jclast']It's not a platformer, but X-Men Legends is a blast to play co-op, and the controls are pretty easy to pick up.[/QUOTE]

:grouphug:

bread's done
Back