Can FYE turn down trade-ins?

paean

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I just tried to trade in some games at FYE, but the guy there refused to let me trade in 4 titles (citing that these games don't sell at his store). Is this their regular policy to cherry pick games for trade in?

He also won't let me trade in Donkey Konga (with the drums), he said that his store didn't get prices for it, whatever that means (since he never even bother to scan it on the register).

Yes, they have turned down games from me before (especially the really crappy games that no one ever wants).

Any store can turn refuse to purchase your games. Just because a company chooses to purchase and re-sell games doesn't mean they will accept everything. That's just the way business works. I'm not sure what the deal is with FYE specifically, though, since I've never traded/sold there.

Yes, they can turn down any games. Most FYE stores will not take a trade in if they have more than 3 used copies of a game, less if it's a high value trade in that will never sell.

He should have scanned Donkey Konga, he probably didn't want to take it because it was a big item.

[quote name='Matt Young']Any store can turn refuse to purchase your games. Just because a company chooses to purchase and re-sell games doesn't mean they will accept everything. That's just the way business works. I'm not sure what the deal is with FYE specifically, though, since I've never traded/sold there.[/QUOTE]

I see your point, but EB/Gamestop have never ever ever refused a trade-in (for current generation of games). But then again, their tradein value is so atrocious that is a deterrent in itself! :D

[quote name='paean']I see your point, but EB/Gamestop have never ever ever refused a trade-in (for current generation of games). But then again, their tradein value is so atrocious that is a deterrent in itself! :D[/QUOTE]

Ebgames and gamestop have websites to sell off the extra games the stores take in, fye has wherehouse.com but it isnt exactly the same thing

As Ive mentioned in the FYE thread, the closest FYE has stopped taking in trade ins completely. If you're in the market for Sneakers or Outlaw Golf expansion packs, my FYE is a goldmine. The next closest mentioned that they hold a max of two games. This is less than the 3 mentioned before, so the amount they take is definitely YMMV.

It seems like every FYE has plenty of copies of Sneakers for sale. They recently lowered it from $44.99 to $29.99 used. Maybe if they lowered it to $4.99 used it would sell considering Toys R Us had it for less than $10 for months before it went to $2 with the 90% green tag sale price drop and only then did it sell.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Out of curiosity where any of your 4 titles:

Motor Trend Lotus Challenge
Malice
Room Zoom
V-Rally 3
Dinotopia
Freestyle Street Soccer[/QUOTE]

Nope, they were:

World Rally Championship (PS2)

[quote name='paean']I just tried to trade in some games at FYE, but the guy there refused to let me trade in 4 titles (citing that these games don't sell at his store). Is this their regular policy to cherry pick games for trade in?

He also won't let me trade in Donkey Konga (with the drums), he said that his store didn't get prices for it, whatever that means (since he never even bother to scan it on the register).[/QUOTE]

Heck, after hearing such wonderful things about FYE here, I tried trading some games in at 2 of them in Virginia when I was on a trip there. One wasn't taking games at all and the other didn't take the games I had - said I could come back and talk to their game manager later to see if he would take them. I browsed through their used games and didn't see any of the ones I brought in (I forget what they were - edit: I remember now that one was Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal and this was in January - no reason not to take that!). So, my limited experience tells me that FYE's reject games 100% of the time :D... I'm amazed people get them to accept anything. Luckily I have since discovered Gamerush, so I'm happy.

most FYEs are already saturated with shitty games that get high amounts of credit.

let's call it CREDIT HOARDING, if you will. :lol: (just joking, everybody relax, just dropping the H bomb in jest)

sometimes you can get lucky and find a recently released game for like $35 used, other than that..fye is trash to me.

bread's done
Back