Can GameStop, theoretically, get sued over gutted games?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']if you make a small fuss and ask there is a specific code for gamestop employees to give you 10% off for opened/show worn merchandise. all you have to do is ask and dont be a dick[/quote]

/end thread

Take a look at the merchandise before you leave the store. If you do not want a gutted copy then turn it down, no one forces you to buy it.

The problem about getting fake cover boxes for games is EB/Gamestop are so cheap that they wouldn't schedule enough people to keep track of which games were sold out. then people would be bitch'n that EB has boxes out for games they don't have. I know Toys'r'us does this but their inventory isn't as wide as EB.

One of the annoying things my customers did was they would steal the coverbox because they got a used one with no instructions so they take the new box. Or worse just the instruction book and leave the case. Plus , what a waste of plastic, paper, and labor to maintain. The Sensormatic system is a waste of money plus it doensn't work. By the time the alarm goes off and my fat ass got around the counter to the door the thief is long gone. Again EB is too cheap to hire a goon to sit at the door like Best Buy. And the store layout doesn't let you control the flow of traffic out the door.

I always envisioned a store set up like a laundry mat with all the product behind the counter and a touch screen panel that let you browse virtual files of store product and then you ask for what you want. But studies of store marketing research,( yeah, I know it's hard to believe they don't make it up) shows that stores that have more items for shoppers to look at the more they sell. Thats why every inch of every store is crammed with crap.

Bottom line, in the time I was at EB I got to know my customers quirks and they got to know mine. If they called me about a game and I only got two copies I would say I only got two if you can promise me a specific time I would hold it and not open any. But we built up that trust. It's the one secret EB seems to forget; build up a loyal customer base, explain why you have to do stupid things like gutting... Most customers understood, then train your staff the same way and execute. Not always perfect but I never had any complaints and if I did I took care of the customer.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']...I guess they are taking pointers from eBay sellers who sell "new" games, but have opened them, in order to "verify" contents. See, GS is just doing you a favor and making sure the game is in there![/QUOTE]

So why isn't all "new" games being gutted then? I mean after all if they want to make sure the game is "in there" then all copies should be given the same treatment and not just a few random copies.

This is the MAIN reason why I never preorder/buy new releases from GS/EB besides the $5 price jackup. There is just too much competition for one company to think they can get away with selling used copies of stuff as new. I don't care if its been played or not. Once the wrapper is yanked off and the seals are removed... its used to me.

I stopped shopping there.

There is no reason to shop in a filthy, foul-smelling and poorly laid-out store when I can order online and have my game delivered sealed and new to my doorstep.

So why isn't all "new" games being gutted then? I mean after all if they want to make sure the game is "in there" then all copies should be given the same treatment and not just a few random copies.

There was a hint of sarcasm in what I typed...

This is the MAIN reason why I never preorder/buy new releases from GS/EB besides the $5 price jackup. There is just too much competition for one company to think they can get away with selling used copies of stuff as new. I don't care if its been played or not. Once the wrapper is yanked off and the seals are removed... its used to me.

Well, except for some DS games, I have not seen many other games get "jacked" up at GameStop. New 360/PS3 titles are $60, Wii games are $50, PSP stuff is $40, and so forth and so on. And whether we like it or not, they do "get away with it."

[quote name='willardhaven']I stopped shopping there.

There is no reason to shop in a filthy, foul-smelling and poorly laid-out store when I can order online and have my game delivered sealed and new to my doorstep.[/quote]

I don't shop at wal-mart, sears, target, k-mart, circuit city, or bestbuy for the same reasons.

Secretly the ups man opens and plays them at the shipping hub, then reseals and delivers them to your doorstep.:)

The only games they jack up are the DS games, I guess they are preying on kids and soccer moms to just pay the price because their kid wants the game. They seem to only do it with titles that MSRP at 29.99 too, its like its too easy for them to charge an extra 5$ when every other store has the 29.99 price.

actually it is a deal they cut with nintendo. they get to the head of the line on product restock because eb prices nintendo games at MSRP all the other chains sell lower. the other chains aren't selling at MSRP eb is.

[quote name='davidjinfla']actually it is a deal they cut with nintendo. they get to the head of the line on product restock because eb prices nintendo games at MSRP all the other chains sell lower. the other chains aren't selling at MSRP eb is.[/quote]

that's a great statement except for the fact that it's completely false.

lol.

half those games marked up aren't even nintendo games, much less published or distributed by nintendo.

no look at all nintendo 1st party ds games at eb they are always msrp five dollars higher than other chains. I am only referring to the games nintendo themselves publish and distribute. Not 3rd party titles. They cut a deal with nintendo in order to get placed higher on restocking orders.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']There was a hint of sarcasm in what I typed...

Well, except for some DS games, I have not seen many other games get "jacked" up at GameStop. New 360/PS3 titles are $60, Wii games are $50, PSP stuff is $40, and so forth and so on. And whether we like it or not, they do "get away with it."[/quote]

They jack up tons of prices. Examples: Katamari Damacy for $30 used (MSRP: $20 new). DDR Max 2 $30 (MSRP: $20 new). SW: Battlefront II for $20 used (it's $20 new everywhere else, MSRP). There's tons of overpriced junk in there like this.

[quote name='Rozz']They jack up tons of prices. Examples: Katamari Damacy for $30 used (MSRP: $20 new). DDR Max 2 $30 (MSRP: $20 new). SW: Battlefront II for $20 used (it's $20 new everywhere else, MSRP). There's tons of overpriced junk in there like this.[/QUOTE]That's why I heard GS opened Gitaroo Man, Rhapsody, and other re-prints so they could sell them for more money (used rare games are more than new rare games there).

I hate gutted games, which is why I try to preoder a lot at GS.

[quote name='Rozz']They jack up tons of prices. Examples: Katamari Damacy for $30 used (MSRP: $20 new). DDR Max 2 $30 (MSRP: $20 new). SW: Battlefront II for $20 used (it's $20 new everywhere else, MSRP). There's tons of overpriced junk in there like this.[/quote]

Those are random used prices. GS takes awhile updating their used prices sometimes, which can be a benefit at times, like when I got a copy of DDS for about $15 when they were going for a lot, lot more on eBay. They, unfortunately, don't often care about what big box retailers are selling something for, either.

Also, we weren't even talking about used games. The other user mentioned not pre-ordering new games, because of a $5 price jack-up, which does not apply to the vast majority of what GS sells.

[quote name='garfep']What boggles my mind is that Gamestop (or the stores near me at least) have even started gutting pre-ordered games. When I picked up SSB Brawl at the midnight launch, the guy told me I was getting the last sealed copy and pointed to 15 or so opened ones behind him. Since most of the games were paid off in full, at that point it's basically messing with someone else's property, no?

I can't imagine that there's much grounds for a legitimate lawsuit, but it's certainly a shady practice that I hope gets some media attention so they'll be persuaded to stop.[/quote]

my local one gutted my preorder of Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection (and it was the last copy so they would've sold it to someone even leaving me with nothing)

admittedly I didn't pick up my preorder until two weeks later but still they know I always eventually do pickup my preorders (took me two weeks on Lost Odyssey as well)

its because I can't always afford the game when it comes out so I have to wait until my next paycheck btw

My Family just got a wii, so sunday we bought about 6 games, 2 of them were the display cases, didnt notice till I got home cause I was out of the store during the ring up, I went to return Resident Evil 4 (Would rather have it on Game Cube) were giving me a real hard time about it, asking me why its opened if it's new, told her she should know she sold it to my yesterday, today bought the godfather for 360, once again display case, told me i cant return it once it's opened, laughed and told him it is open, he told me not once he puts the sticker on it. I am really starting to hate them.

[quote name='RVDRVD']My Family just got a wii, so sunday we bought about 6 games, 2 of them were the display cases, didnt notice till I got home cause I was out of the store during the ring up, I went to return Resident Evil 4 (Would rather have it on Game Cube) were giving me a real hard time about it, asking me why its opened if it's new, told her she should know she sold it to my yesterday, today bought the godfather for 360, once again display case, told me i cant return it once it's opened, laughed and told him it is open, he told me not once he puts the sticker on it. I am really starting to hate them.[/quote]

Wow. You should have kicked and screamed, I would have. They sell you an opened copy as new, and then you try to return it as new, and they say they can't because it's opened. XD

[quote name='davidjinfla']no look at all nintendo 1st party ds games at eb they are always msrp five dollars higher than other chains. I am only referring to the games nintendo themselves publish and distribute. Not 3rd party titles. They cut a deal with nintendo in order to get placed higher on restocking orders.[/QUOTE]

No, they charge $5 more for Nintendo published DS titles because they know those titles will sell to the uninformed consumer and they are over-charging bastards.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Can we please stop with these threads about EB/Gamestop ??[/QUOTE]

If you stop reading them you won't have to deal with them.

I don't really think it's that evil that they give you a gutted copy. I mean, they just open it, take the disc out and that's it. I understand that there are some employees that use this to play the latest games for free but why don't you report them to the manager or if it's the manager, report to the next person on the ladder?

It's not some dark secret that they have to gut one copy to put on display. It's for security and to get the most profit. They save tons for not having scanners at the doors, plastic cases to put the new games in, security cameras, someone to guard the door, large glass cases with locks and anti theft trackers. If they put the new games sealed on the shelf what's to keep people from slicing open the side and popping the disc out or having a group of guys just rush in and take 10-15 60$ brand new games off the shelf. GS/EB only have the bare minimum of security with mostly 1 or 2 employees holding down the entire store and a camera only at the register.

They also don't use stand in copies to help keep track of stock and save from having to print thousands of duplicate front covers across all their stores. The main reason why they won't discount a gutted title that's complete is because everyone would want the gutted for the 5 bucks off and GS would have to gut another brand new copy.

I'm not a GS/EB fanboy and I don't shop there that much but everyone needs to know why they got gutted copies and just put up with it or shop somewhere else.

I wonder why Gamestop cant just get the empty display cases like every other store...The toys r us ones for example. It has the box art on the front and it says "DISPLAY CASE ONLY TAKE TO FRONT COUNTER".

[quote name='Persona7']I wonder why Gamestop cant just get the empty display cases like every other store...The toys r us ones for example. It has the box art on the front and it says "DISPLAY CASE ONLY TAKE TO FRONT COUNTER".[/quote]

They don't want to have to pay for them.

[quote name='buckythekat']my local one gutted my preorder of Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection (and it was the last copy so they would've sold it to someone even leaving me with nothing)

admittedly I didn't pick up my preorder until two weeks later but still they know I always eventually do pickup my preorders (took me two weeks on Lost Odyssey as well)

its because I can't always afford the game when it comes out so I have to wait until my next paycheck btw[/quote]

If you can't pick them up for two weeks, why not wait until you have the money and get a new sealed copy at another store?

[quote name='buckythekat']my local one gutted my preorder of Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection (and it was the last copy so they would've sold it to someone even leaving me with nothing)

its because I can't always afford the game when it comes out so I have to wait until my next paycheck btw[/quote]

do you expect them not to get restocked until you decide to pick up your game?

48 hours is the policy if you need more just tell them and you'll be fine as long as it's reasonable.

bread's done
Back