Can someone answer me an eBay question?

use usps, make sure it is insured and has delivery confirmation, regardless if they paid for it, to protect yourself, and is does not matter if you print out a label, as long as it has a distination

For something the size of a dvd case, how much should I expect to pay for shipping? And do I need to visit the post office, or can I just put it in my mail box and have the mail man pick it up?

[quote name='moe11888']For something the size of a dvd case, how much should I expect to pay for shipping? And do I need to visit the post office, or can I just put it in my mail box and have the mail man pick it up?[/QUOTE]

Unless your selling something valuable or over $50 don't get insurance it costs $1.35.

The weight determines the cost. Its about $2.25 to ship a game in a bubble mailer first class. Always get delivery confirmation. You can also ship up to a pound in priority mail for $4.60. I don't recommend media mail even though its the cheapest. Don't rape your customers on shipping. Don't charge $4.50 then ship first class thats cheap, and you'll kill your repeat business.

You can print the label online, and just stick it in or near your mailbox the post-person will see that its out going.

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/USPS_shipping_label_guide

[quote name='Graystone']Unless your selling something valuable or over $50 don't get insurance it costs $1.35.

The weight determines the cost. Its about $2.25 to ship a game in a bubble mailer first class. Always get delivery confirmation. You can also ship up to a pound in priority mail for $4.60. I don't recommend media mail even though its the cheapest. Don't rape your customers on shipping. Don't charge $4.50 then ship first class thats cheap, and you'll kill your repeat business.

You can print the label online, and just stick it in or near your mailbox the post-person will see that its out going.

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/USPS_shipping_label_guide[/quote]

You forget that the bubble mailer usually costs a dollar. IS a extra dollar of profit really raping your customer?

[quote name='Paco']You forget that the bubble mailer usually costs a dollar. IS a extra dollar of profit really raping your customer?[/QUOTE]My philosophy is not to profit at all on shipping. They pay exactly what I spend for it (mailer+shipping with DC.)

For a mailing newbie, I'd suggest getting a bubble mailer that will fit the game and then going to the post office to mail it first class with delivery confirmation. Perhaps you have a bubble mailer you can recycle?

You address the mailer just like a big envelope, your return addy in the upper left and the recipient's address in the middle.

I skip insurance for small things, but realize that if the package is mauled in transit you will probably have to cover it. (This rarely happens in my experience, especially with mail grades above media mail.)

Do get delivery confirmation, which runs $0.75 or so now. You can save a lot on this by printing your label via PayPal shipping, but I think it's best to go to the post office at first to get your feet wet.

If you can't work out how to put on the delivery confirmation label at the post office, just go up to the clerk and tell them you want to mail your package first class mail with delivery confirmation. They'll walk you through it. With retail DC I think you'd be looking at somewhere between $2.50 and $3.00 for postage.

The only other thing that may trip you up is that packages must be 3/4" thick to go 1st class mail w/ delivery confirmation. In my experience a game in a bubble mailer is 3/4" but I've had USPS clerks question it. (It's more likely they won't really care, but it does happen.) Just ask them to get a ruler and remind them that it's 3/4" thick at the thickest point of the package. I had one clerk measure the thickness at the mailer's seam, which is obviously about half the full thickness. :roll: At any rate this will probably not be a concern, but just be prepared to clarify for them if they give you trouble.

bread's done
Back