Can someone explain eBay to me please?

Cocojames333

CAG Newbie
I want to sell an item but I know nothing about fees and if it's even worth it.

I don't want PayPal but I think you can get money put directly into your bank account through PayPal? I'm hoping to make around $100 from the sell. Is it even worth it after all the fees? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

With the way ebay works you'll almost have to get a paypal account to sell something. With the combination of paypal and ebay and you being a new seller (so you'll have no feedback), there will be a larger than usual chance of a scammer thinking you are easy pickings. It is very easy to get scammed on ebay, especially if you are a new seller with no history.

There are some things that you can do to protect yourself, but in the end a lot of the "good" buyers might be skittish of a brand new seller (because it's also not that uncommon to get scammed as a buyer on ebay, either).

That being said, you can look on ebay and see what your thing is selling for by clicking "closed auction or completed auctions" -- then figure that about 10% goes to ebay and/or paypal for fees. Plus you have to mail it.

Plus, you have to consider that if you "really, really need" this money, what will you do if you get a scammer, you pay to mail the item to the scammer, and then the scammer gets his money back?

In general, ebay is not a good place for a "one of" sale, because of the risks -- you need volume in order to average out and make money. If you are able, usually craigslist is better for "one of" sales, but obviously there are risks with CL (i'd meet the person in a bank parking lot, or even a police station parking lot, something like that for a first-timer).

$100 is probably worth it, depending on what it is. Even though eBay is set up more for bulk sellers than the 3 item guys, if you're going to use it once and never again might want to think more about it. And yes, you can direct deposit into your bank account. I think it takes 2 or 3 days to get it completely set up, if I remember correctly. I think though, that being a new user, that PayPal MAY put a hold on your money (21 days or until item is confirmed delivered). I have seen where some sellers are experiencing this, not sure if it's a new deal or not. Also, after the hold is released the buyer has like 45 days or such to file a paypal claim if there's a problem.

You have to factor in shipping and stuff too, packaging, plus whatever USPS or UPS or whatever charges.

I had a pretty decent reputation as a buyer before I began selling and I've been a member for 10 years, about 4 when I began selling. I came back to selling after taking about 2 years off, and things have changed. Fees have gone up, but you can list for free. They also charge final value fee for shipping (which is stupid, but some dickheads charge $1 for a game and $15 for shipping so they could net $15 off the sale, instead of charge $15 and $1 shipping and make $13.50)

Some tips I have are only sell to US buyers. That is pretty much because you can easily track packages in the US (Required for Paypal seller protection)

There is a maximum amount you can charge for shipping, additional ways to ship can be considered as well, but the first has a max fee.

I generally don't sell to 0 feedback buyers unless they contact me, or people with 2 or more unpaid items in the past couple months. I've had less unpaids that way. When you are listing it is a box you can click.

BTW--WHAT ARE YOU SELLING? (You may be able to make your $100 here)

Just google ebay fees calculator.

It will figure listing fee, final fee, paypal fee, and some can calculate what shipping will cost.

Everybody is pretty much correct a new seller will need to get a paypal account to have some validity.

Pictures too, make sure to get good pics of it.

Ask around here as well, might be able to get it here for that item, no clue really.

[quote name='burritoman']Pictures too, make sure to get good pics of it.

Ask around here as well, might be able to get it here for that item, no clue really.[/QUOTE]

And there is no reason to skimp on pictures as eBay just made a change where I believe the first 12 are free

bread's done
Back