Can someone explain OnLive to me?

So I get the idea. They stream games. Do I have to buy the console? Do I have to buy their controller? Is there a monthly fee outside of their PlayPack bundle?

Their website is all flash and no details.

Thanks.

It basically lets you play full retail games hosted on their servers, in which the video is streamed to your PC, Ipad, etc. Removes the necessity of having a powerful gaming rig or a game console to play the latest.

Its like Streaming video, but you can control it basically.

[quote name='The Dord']It basically lets you play full retail games hosted on their servers, in which the video is streamed to your PC, Ipad, etc. Removes the necessity of having a powerful gaming rig or a game console to play the latest.

Its like Streaming video, but you can control it basically.[/QUOTE]

Question is, how well does it work. Anyone using it care to share?

I've played some demos a couple of times and its controlled pretty well. I've used my laptop, which is running on wifi, and the modem and router are pretty far off so sometimes it'll have some problems connecting to the server when loading the application.

I demoed Arkham Asylum, played it on wifi during the middle of the night when my internet was at its best, and the controls were very responsive.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll need a rather speedy connection when using it. As mentioned, wifi should be a last resort kinda deal, and you should opt for a wired connection.

[quote name='smokeyjoey8']I've played some demos a couple of times and its controlled pretty well. I've used my laptop, which is running on wifi, and the modem and router are pretty far off so sometimes it'll have some problems connecting to the server when loading the application.

I demoed Arkham Asylum, played it on wifi during the middle of the night when my internet was at its best, and the controls were very responsive.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll need a rather speedy connection when using it. As mentioned, wifi should be a last resort kinda deal, and you should opt for a wired connection.[/QUOTE]

Are the games running at the highest settings on their end? What's the framerate like? If it's a video feed stream, I fear everthing is at 30 fps.

I cant say for sure. It's probably best for anyone interested in the service to try it. Signing up is free, as is demoing the games.

bread's done
Back