Can someone help me find a good deal on a laptop?

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
Attention nerds! I need help finding a decent computer to buy. I'll be flying back to Israel to start my graduate studies soon and figured now is a good time to get myself a decent rig, with the fourth generation Haswell cpus being out now. Anyway I'm looking for a nice laptop with a big screen. It'll mostly be used for school but having one good enough for gaming won't hurt either. I'd like a fourth generation core and want to spend $800 or less. Other than that I don't really know much. I should probably get an external gpu right? Is an i5 good enough? You guys come across any good deals lately?

Do you mean a Dedicated GPU? External GPUs I would strongly recommend against, as performance to price are both very poor and you will almost certainly run into a ton of headaches getting it to work like you want. I'd try going to newegg and using the advanced filter to narrow down the things you care about, such as the processor (i5 should be fine, but a quad core would be most ideal and many of the laptop i5s are only dual), HDD size (really depends on how much space you need, but I wouldn't go with less than 1TB), RAM (4GB is fine for most people, though 8GB with room to upgrade will help with future proofing), and other options :)

Ok thanks for the advice. Any deals going on currently? I found something close to what I want in the hp envy 17t but after the coupon it was about $100 too much.

buy it want's a 100 more if that's the laptop u wanted

Last edited:
hmm, personally I would have downgraded the ram to 8GB and gotten a bigger HDD (500GB isn't a lot these days). The graphics card is decent and the processor is outstanding, so for the price I'd say not bad. Heating issues would be my one concern, but I suppose you would have to try it first hand to know that (obviously not an option when buying online). I'd say stick with whichever version of 8 is installed and see how you take to it, and then if you don't like it go for the upgrade to 8.1 :)

Sounds good.. the RAM was actually a free upgrade. Here's the options:

Select Memory (what's this?)

BTO-icon-memory.png

4GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB x 1)   

[FREE

4GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2GB + 2GB)   

[add $10.00

6GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 2GB)   

[add $50.00

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 4GB)   

[add $100.00

SAVE $200.00*   12GB DDR3L 1600MHz SDRAM (8GB + 4GB)   

SAVE $200.00*   16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (8GB + 8GB)   

[add $100.00

I'm not sure I'm understanding, it looks to me as if 4GB is simply the stock build (hence why it says free), but the one you had selected (12GB) adds $100 to the price. What am I missing?

ah gotcha. Well then that's not bad at all, hope it comes in time and works well for you (I see nothing wrong with it, besides the before mentioned HDD, but that is easily replaced should you need more space) :)

The only problem is it's supposed to arrive on the 26-27th. And my flight back to Israel is at 9:30pm on the 27th!

bread's done
Back