can someone help me with my computer issues?

cycophuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have an Acer Aspire T180 and I have a couple of issues I need help with. .

The first is that I can not get sound to work with the computer. I checked the devise drivers and there is no errors there. I know the speakers are plugged in correctly. I have even tried two different sets of speakers with no luck. I verified that the computer isn't muted or than the sound isn't turned all the way down. I'm not sure what to do to get the sound to work again.

The second issue is that I am getting an error message that pops up on start-up. It reads; "Error loading C:\PROG~1\MYWEB~1\BAR\2.BIN\M3PLUGIN.DLL". I found the .dll file online, but I can not find the folder it goes in.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with with either or both of these issues.

1. Go to Control Panel and then click Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab at the top, and then make sure your sound card is selected in the first drop-down menu (it might be Realtek, or something like that). If that is selected, and it still doesn't work you should download some updated drivers for your sound card. I'm guessing you have onboard sound, so you should go to your motherboard manufacturer's site and get the latest drivers for the audio component of you motherboard.

2. Looks like you had some junkware called MyWeb searchbar installed. Make sure it's uninstalled by going to Add/Remove Programs. If it doesn't appear on the Add/remove programs list, that means it didn't uninstall properly. Download CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) and perform a registry scan and clean it up. If that doesn't work, and you don't see MyWeb search bar on the programs list in CCleaner, I would install the crap (MyWeb) again and uninstall it using CCleaner. Hopefully that will work.

I'm assuming you are using the integrated sound, which by my research is a Realtek ALC888 chipset.

Did the sound ever work?

One thing to check would be the BIOS just to make sure that if there is a setting to enable/disable the integrated sound, that it is set to enable.

Also, check any internal connectors, although the main ones are probably wired right to the MoBo.

The next think I would try would be to boot the system using a bootable Linux CD like Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com). From my research, there used to be some problems with Ubuntu not recognizing this hardware, but I think that they have been cleared up by now, but you never know.

If the sound works when booting from the Ubuntu CD, then you have a software problem. If the sound doesn't work in Ubuntu, then you're still not sure (may be Ubuntu's fault).

If the sound used to work, then the surefire test is to do a fresh install of Windows and drivers onto a spare HD. If it works, then you have a software problem. If it still doesn't work, then you have a hardware problem (chip gone bad?)

If you have a hardware problem, then you're screwed. Buy a PCI sound card.

If you have a software problem, and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers doesn't work, then you're probably going to have to reinstall Windows unless you really want to get down with Google and your registry editor to try to fix the problem (probably more hassle than it's worth).

For your other problem, it's coming from an installation of MyWebSearch, which is basically Malware. The error is probably the result of your antiadware/spyware/virus software trying to remove it, but not being completely successful.

I'd just try to remove MyWebSearch completely. Try these instructions:

http://www.safer-networking.com/removeMyWebSearch.php

bread's done
Back